What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Well, I'm not going to run the Rehoboth HM; I'm just not prepared.  I could go out there and plod through it, but if I'm being honest with myself, I just won't enjoy doing that much.  I'm fine physically, I'm just not there mentally yet.  As the race date gets closer, I am feeling as if I'm forcing myself into it and that's not how I want to do this.  I started feeling guilty 2 weekends ago when my planned 12 went to #### (literally almost #### myself :lol:  ) and I only was able to run 6.  I realized later that day that this guilt isn't healthy and  it's not what I want out of running right now.  I have been enjoying my runs and want to keep it that way.

We are extremely busy with the kids and I'm spending almost all of my free time hunting right now.  I know it's going to go over like a fart in church, but racing just isn't a priority in my life right now to where I shoehorn workouts into my daily schedule.  I may hop into a 5K or two sometime soon if it fits the schedule, but we'll see.  I'm contemplating the Delaware HM in the spring, which gives me more time to properly train without feeling like I'm forcing the issue.
I do enjoy race days, but to be honest, the most satisfying days for me are long runs where the body is feeling good and just falls into a fast pace on auto-pilot.  

Well, I'm not going to run the Rehoboth HM; I'm just not prepared.  I could go out there and plod through it, but if I'm being honest with myself, I just won't enjoy doing that much.  I'm fine physically, I'm just not there mentally yet.  As the race date gets closer, I am feeling as if I'm forcing myself into it and that's not how I want to do this.  I started feeling guilty 2 weekends ago when my planned 12 went to #### (literally almost #### myself :lol:  ) and I only was able to run 6.  I realized later that day that this guilt isn't healthy and  it's not what I want out of running right now.  I have been enjoying my runs and want to keep it that way.

We are extremely busy with the kids and I'm spending almost all of my free time hunting right now.  I know it's going to go over like a fart in church, but racing just isn't a priority in my life right now to where I shoehorn workouts into my daily schedule.  I may hop into a 5K or two sometime soon if it fits the schedule, but we'll see.  I'm contemplating the Delaware HM in the spring, which gives me more time to properly train without feeling like I'm forcing the issue.
Hey you’re running and healthy that is the key, there isn't any need for running to be a stressor.  When you’re ready to race let me know when you sign up for something and I’ll try to come down for it.    Is the Delaware HM as hilly as Ceasar Rodney? I have the Love Run penciled in for next year which is similar to the Philly half course you like.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

Running is meant to augment all the other great stuff in your life, not push some of those things to the side. Just keep in decent shape, then jump back in to race training when it fits your life.

Um, also, check back with me in 5 weeks because I'm harboring thoughts of doing something crazy like attempting to train for mid-April's Coastal Delaware Marathon...

Hey you’re running and healthy that is the key, there isn't any need for running to be a stressor.  When you’re ready to race let me know when you sign up for something and I’ll try to come down for it.    Is the Delaware HM as hilly as Ceasar Rodney? I have the Love Run penciled in for next year which is similar to the Philly half course you like.
The DEHM is the same course for the most part - that middle section is a bear.  Is the Love Run the one in Sept?

Running is meant to augment all the other great stuff in your life, not push some of those things to the side. Just keep in decent shape, then jump back in to race training when it fits your life.

Um, also, check back with me in 5 weeks because I'm harboring thoughts of doing something crazy like attempting to train for mid-April's Coastal Delaware Marathon...
:shock:   whoa baby!

I do enjoy race days, but to be honest, the most satisfying days for me are long runs where the body is feeling good and just falls into a fast pace on auto-pilot.  
This. I actually thought about not running my half and doing a nice 20 miler because of the weather. In hindsight, that probably would’ve been the better choice. 

Ned said:
The DEHM is the same course for the most part - that middle section is a bear.  Is the Love Run the one in Sept?
The Love run is March 31 and has one decent hill but nothing like Caesar Rodney.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
@bushdocda - and others that use the Hanson plan - I noticed that plan has the longest run at 16 miles. That would make me a little nervous in marathon training not to do 18 and 20 milers during the cycle.

Did you guys adhere to that plan, or do you go ahead and do a couple of longer runs anyway?

The_Man said:

Nice. I like the timing of this one too. Just reviewed the Salisbury MD course yesterday and it is not that alluring. I’ve been on every bit of the CoDel course although not all in one shot. It is pretty sweet track. Only downsides I can think of would be potential wind off the ocean in the first bit and maybe the crushed trail being slower than pavement. 

@bushdocda - and others that use the Hanson plan - I noticed that plan has the longest run at 16 miles. That would make me a little nervous in marathon training not to do 18 and 20 milers during the cycle.

Did you guys adhere to that plan, or do you go ahead and do a couple of longer runs anyway? 
I maxed out at 18 miles for my long run running 70 miles a week.  They just want you to limit your long run to within the 25-33% of your weekly mileage.

Nice. I like the timing of this one too. Just reviewed the Salisbury MD course yesterday and it is not that alluring. I’ve been on every bit of the CoDel course although not all in one shot. It is pretty sweet track. Only downsides I can think of would be potential wind off the ocean in the first bit and maybe the crushed trail being slower than pavement. 
Yeah, and it might get a bit hot later in the morning from the time you leave Henlopen Park until you get back on the Breakwater Trail. But historically it has seemed like cool enough weather. 

Added bonuses for me are the after-party on the Boardwalk, and the fact my cousin has a house pretty much right at the halfway mark, which means a free early spring beach weekend for me. 

As far as me trying to get into marathon shape, I realized that 2020 might be a now-or-never Boston year for me. So I'm midway into a 10-week crash course of fitness building/weight loss that would take me to a marathon training plan starting Dec. 10. I'm pretty skeptical of running a BQ in mid-April, but I feel like giving it a try is the best bet I have of jump-starting myself for a serious BQ effort in late August/early Sept. before registration closes for Boston 2020.

I went 16m - 18m - 18m and did so based on the time on feet parameters described in the book. I think it the guideline was in topping out around 2:45 or 3 hours total. 

I went 16m - 18m - 18m and did so based on the time on feet parameters described in the book. I think it the guideline was in topping out around 2:45 or 3 hours total. 
Awesome. Thank you. I'll need to read that book before I embark on that plan. 

My early marathon training was using Higdon.  I've gotten to the point where I like to add some runs of 21-23 miles so my time-on-feet at that slower pace isn't far off the marathon at desired marathon pace.  But that's just my preference.

Heck, I've always thought that a couple 15-16 milers were necessary for a half.  Gotta think something longer is needed for a full.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. Thank you. I'll need to read that book before I embark on that plan. 
Good idea, the stuff online (articles like above and pdf plans) will get you most of it but I found myself re-reading sections all the time.  The quantity and quality components both increased for me a lot which had me nervous but I was feeling ok most of the time. I tried to paste a comparison chart showing last year marathon cycle with Higdon plan and this year Hanson by week but it pasted like ####. The big difference values were:

Over 18 week cycles, the # of miles up 230 to 762, number of hours up 39 to 118, number of runs up 24 to 102 and # of 10m+ runs up 9 to 26. 

Good idea, the stuff online (articles like above and pdf plans) will get you most of it but I found myself re-reading sections all the time.  The quantity and quality components both increased for me a lot which had me nervous but I was feeling ok most of the time. I tried to paste a comparison chart showing last year marathon cycle with Higdon plan and this year Hanson by week but it pasted like ####. The big difference values were:

Over 18 week cycles, the # of miles up 230 to 762, number of hours up 39 to 118, number of runs up 24 to 102 and # of 10m+ runs up 9 to 26. 
Yeah. This is the route I need to go to maximize my potential. Higdon just isn't going to cut if for what I want to accomplish.

Did my 9 x 400's (week 9) run this morning and it was the first time I just felt worn out.  I had got it done but it felt sluggish.  

In 7 days I've logged 6 runs that total 34.1 miles.  I guess that sluggish feeling is to be expected huh?   

Yeah. This is the route I need to go to maximize my potential. Higdon just isn't going to cut if for what I want to accomplish.
You may be wrong for all I know.  But you may be right.

I think the right plan for a particular person varies widely subject to subject and you're not going to have an idea where you fall in the spectrum until you've successfully completed a sufficient sample.  I also think someone may have their best plan for attempt #1 and that's not necessarily going to be the best plan for attempt #2, #3, etc.

Each plan is hard.  They're just hard in different ways.  With Higdon it's the weekend back-to-back's.  With Hanson it's the cumulative fatigue that hits the week before a deload week.  With pfitz it's the mid-week workouts and MP's within long runs.  And they're all hard weeks 14 and 15.  What's best for you?  :shrug:   Only one way to find out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did my 9 x 400's (week 9) run this morning and it was the first time I just felt worn out.  I had got it done but it felt sluggish.  

In 7 days I've logged 6 runs that total 34.1 miles.  I guess that sluggish feeling is to be expected huh?   
I guess so!  Good to hear about the intervals, though.

If my wife can run 1:59 with the VERY limited training that she does, I see no reason why you can't go 1:45 with a "real" training plan including speedwork, etc.
Fwiw, my 15yo nephew went 1:39 in Indy (he did the Indy half with his mom / my sister). His first ever. He goes 18 something in the 5k now. I told him I'll beat him this weekend ?

Fwiw, my 15yo nephew went 1:39 in Indy (he did the Indy half with his mom / my sister). His first ever. He goes 18 something in the 5k now. I told him I'll beat him this weekend ?
Nice! In my wife's half a couple of weeks ago there was a TWELVE-year-old who ran 1:32. ?

How are our weekend racers feeling?!?!

@pbm107 & @Zasada
I am on the train to Richmond and experiencing the usual taper madness. I’m excited to see what I’ll be able to do tomorrow, conditions should be ideal, and I have had a good stretch of training. 

I am really balancing being excited with how well my training has gone with being cautious because of some disappointing performances in a 10 mile race and half earlier this year. I’ll be disappointed if 6:50 pace doesn’t feel easy early tomorrow. 

So I've got this Polish Independence Day 10K on Sunday morning at Montrose Harbor in Chicago.  My plan all along has been to just run with my wife, but last night she says to me, "Piotrek (our friend) and I think you should try to win."   :eek:   This is a one-off type of event, so I have absolutely no idea how many people will show up or how fast the field will be.  I do know that my legs seem to be recovering pretty well (and quickly) from last weekend.  Did 5 miles on the treadmill this morning and mixed in 3 x 1/2-mile at increasing speed (6:40/6:35/6:31), and it felt good.  Thinking about maybe just lining up towards the front and then making a gametime decision depending on how things play out.  If there are a bunch of super fast guys and there's no chance for me to contend, I could always just step off to the side and wait for my wife.

I am really balancing being excited with how well my training has gone with being cautious because of some disappointing performances in a 10 mile race and half earlier this year. I’ll be disappointed if 6:50 pace doesn’t feel easy early tomorrow. 
Good luck!  I'm nervous for you but I think it's very likely you'll do great!  

I am on the train to Richmond and experiencing the usual taper madness. I’m excited to see what I’ll be able to do tomorrow, conditions should be ideal, and I have had a good stretch of training. 

Nice, I forgot about train option, that makes next year even more appealing. I’m in charlottesville right now and it’s looking like rain this afternoon giving way to cool night and morning for you.

Have a great race !

It's super smoky here in the Bay Area, from the Camp Fire up in Butte county about 175 miles away from here.  Unfortunately I took yesterday off so I wanted to get out there today, but it was probably a mistake.  Just an hour out there and my throat is irritated and I have a mild headache.  

that ain't fog

@pbm107 & @Zasada
Feel like I haven't done enough in the last week!  I did my regular treadmill Tue and a light one yesterday.  I just have this "you're lazy" vibe in my brain despite knowing why I'm not hiking this weekend or running more.  It feels like ages since I've done my last long run -- am I going to forget how to run that far?!??!

Just arrived Vegas.  Temps forecast for 59F at race time but a little windy.  Going to go pick up my bib this afternoon.  I imagine it will feel real then.

Two days and counting...

It's super smoky here in the Bay Area, from the Camp Fire up in Butte county about 175 miles away from here.  Unfortunately I took yesterday off so I wanted to get out there today, but it was probably a mistake.  Just an hour out there and my throat is irritated and I have a mild headache.  

that ain't fog
Yeah we had a bad summer with forest fires here in the Canadian Rockies.  There were a couple of days I had to forego hikes and just treadmill it indoors.  

Good luck racers!

also @gruecd— You just crushed a race.  I’d hate for you to get injured this weekend because your legs are weakened and you push them too hard.  Be smart tomorrow.  

Just received email about KT82 relay lottery. It opens in a couple weeks and we'll find out at the beginning of December. 

You guys can read info on it here

I know we were close to enough for a 2nd team. I can't go back right now and get the lists of interested people but if one if you wants to, go ahead and post it here or else I'll do it later. We can see if we need to have someone else enter lottery as well.

It's real.

I was looking for a tracking link so my wife can follow me but all I can find is an app.   :thumbdown:

The plan was to stay away from booze for the next two days but my colleagues aren't making it easy.  11am at the hotel this morning and they're already taking advantage of the lack of an open container law here in Vegas...

@pbm107 & @Zasada
Hey! 

I mean it's nothing epic but I'll try to go only 30 seconds per mile slower than grue for my half this weekend. 

Nice, I forgot about train option, that makes next year even more appealing. I’m in charlottesville right now and it’s looking like rain this afternoon giving way to cool night and morning for you.

Have a great race !
Love me some Charlottesville!  We sent a crew there this past week for a short course. Sadly that's a different area than my practice.

? it's going to be 30 degrees at the start. I was planning to go short sleeves but maybe not now... Maybe a disposable hat and gloves with short sleeves? I'll be in shorts and despite being in heat all summer I still like it cold. 

Hey! 

I mean it's nothing epic but I'll try to go only 30 seconds per mile slower than grue for my half this weekend. 

Love me some Charlottesville!  We sent a crew there this past week for a short course. Sadly that's a different area than my practice.
Didn't realize you were racing too. You need to go get some too, you BMF.

@pbm107 & @Zasada
Hey! 

Have a great race !
#### man I just went off the ole calendar.  Tear that course up!

Charlottesville has been cool, catching a hike tomorrow and then back to?

#### man I just went off the ole calendar.  Tear that course up!

Charlottesville has been cool, catching a hike tomorrow and then back to?
I'm joking, really didn't recall if I put this one on the calendar. I don't think I'll be getting a PR this morning, but this will be the end of the running season for me. Not to say I'll stop running, but I'll swim more, lift more, etc. 

There are a few local races which are fun and I might decide to do them later but for now this is the last race until May. I'm kind of looking forward to a couple months of doing essentially whatever I want before hitting tri training hard. 

Speaking of which, I need some indoor bike recommendations. I might just use my bike on a trainer but I really like the idea of a separate bike. Right now I'm looking at the ANCHEER Indoor Cycling Bike, Belt Drive Indoor Exercise Bike with 40LBS Flywheel (Model: ANCHEER-A5001), https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FFM8MW8/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A10ZB8MMK2UYLG&psc=1. Seems a good price and solid. 

Hey! 

Get you some Oz! 

Users who are viewing this thread