What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

SFBayDuck said:
Brony said:
Last week I rested my legs by only doing a few hikes in Smoky Mtn National Park while on vacation incl. one that was 1,500 elevation over 2 miles. Some rest. Anyway, that allowed my right gastroc to get to pain free state.
Sounds awesome!

Hope the calf pain keeps improving. And if you hate getting passed by strollers, get out on some single track trail as you won't have to worry about seeing any.
Strollers don't slow a person down as much as most people would think, especially if the person pushing the stroller has done extensive running/training with it. I remember when I first graduated I heard about another runner in my shoes who was just training his ### off and seeing how serious he wants to take post-collegiate running. After a summer of hard training he hopped into a local 5K race and was well on the way to victory when someone in a double-stroller ran him down in the last 100 meters with the twins in the strollers yelling "get him daddy! get him!". He later found out the guy pushing the stroller was a sub-14 5K guy, but it was still a huge blow to his ego at the time.

The last two guys who held the world record in the marathon while pushing a stroller (Mike Wardian and Zac Freudenburg) are 2:16-2:17 guys who ran in the low 2:30s while pushing strollers. (so about 30s/mile, I would think it's less for shorter distances)
Were they empty strollers or was there some kid along for the 150 minute ride?

SFBayDuck said:
Brony said:
Last week I rested my legs by only doing a few hikes in Smoky Mtn National Park while on vacation incl. one that was 1,500 elevation over 2 miles. Some rest. Anyway, that allowed my right gastroc to get to pain free state.
Sounds awesome!

Hope the calf pain keeps improving. And if you hate getting passed by strollers, get out on some single track trail as you won't have to worry about seeing any.
when someone in a double-stroller ran him down in the last 100 meters with the twins in the strollers yelling "get him daddy! get him!".
Great story. :lmao:

SFBayDuck said:
Brony said:
Sounds awesome!

when someone in a double-stroller ran him down in the last 100 meters with the twins in the strollers yelling "get him daddy! get him!".
I've heard of runners putting sand bags in strollers to make their workouts harder.

SFBayDuck said:
Brony said:
Sounds awesome!

I've heard of runners putting sand bags in strollers to make their workouts harder.
hmmm, I've heard the same.

SFBayDuck said:
Brony said:
Sounds awesome!

hmmm, I've heard the same.
I'd consider it but I'm already so slow I'd end up moving backward......

Downhills with the running stroller were the suck - I was always afraid I'd lose my footing. Just #238 reason why I'm glad my kids are older. FUBAR > hi. ;)

Downhills with the running stroller were the suck - I was always afraid I'd lose my footing. Just #238 reason why I'm glad my kids are older. FUBAR > hi. ;)
They will get older eventually. Right?

Agreed, uphill was fine. Downhill :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a double today (or a Ned) - after my 4.5 miles this morning I did 5 tonight at the soccer fields while my son practiced. I'm still slow as hell pace-wise and when I encounter big hills I usually have to walk or my heart rate spikes but I'm really happy with my progress right now. I've improved my running a ton (I can now throw in 8 min/mi pace for (short) stretches) but I have a long ways to go. My swimming hasn't improved much but that's probably because my fat was making it easier to swim :bag:

My goals are still the same - I'm not worrying or even really tracking my times. I'm continuing to shed weight and trying to trade fat for muscle. I wish I would have done an accurate bf % test at the start of this. I'm sure I was embarrassingly high when I started (maybe as high as 40%??) but I'm still not where I want to be. I'm confident I could go out and do a sprint tri this weekend if I wanted and I'm really tempted to but two things are keeping me from it - 1. I still have to get my bike working and 2. I honestly don't know if I can find a race that will work with my schedule. Academy soccer every Saturday and some Sundays plus my daughters softball on Saturdays. I think I may need to just find a race and tell my wife I'm not available that morning and just do it. <-- I'm putting this here so you guys yell at me to do it and it will peer pressure me in to doing it.

One more update - one that I hate - but my son just last week stopped the cross country team. I completely understand why he did. He's in all honor's classes in 8th grade and 2 of his classes count as HS credits - he's not like me, he cares more about academics and his grades now than I ever did so I'm really proud of that and he's doing awesome but I feel like he's using it somewhat as an excuse to stop CC. I tried to convince him to do both but he reminded me that we had already discussed it and I told him he could sit out the season if he thought it was too much. I almost wish I didn't give him that out. Oh well - he kept it up all summer and got a level of fitness he didn't have before - maybe I can convince him to keep running with me and go for it next season.

AAA - just do it. Took me a long while to convince myself to take time for my pursuits. My kids get the bulk of my time, but once in awhile I have to do something to maintain my sanity.

So I chose an insane hobby. Stupid me.

SFBayDuck said:
Brony said:
Sounds awesome!

Strollers don't slow a person down as much as most people would think, especially if the person pushing the stroller has done extensive running/training with it. I remember when I first graduated I heard about another runner in my shoes who was just training his ### off and seeing how serious he wants to take post-collegiate running. After a summer of hard training he hopped into a local 5K race and was well on the way to victory when someone in a double-stroller ran him down in the last 100 meters with the twins in the strollers yelling "get him daddy! get him!". He later found out the guy pushing the stroller was a sub-14 5K guy, but it was still a huge blow to his ego at the time.

The last two guys who held the world record in the marathon while pushing a stroller (Mike Wardian and Zac Freudenburg) are 2:16-2:17 guys who ran in the low 2:30s while pushing strollers. (so about 30s/mile, I would think it's less for shorter distances)
Were they empty strollers or was there some kid along for the 150 minute ride?
http://www.newson6.com/story/11553598/route-66-stroller-marathoner-breaks-guinness-world-record

The kids in there were 10-11 months old. Apparently the people attempting these records want as light a baby as possible. Julia Webb, the wife of American mile record holder Alan Webb, recently set a 10K world record for pushing a stroller pushing a friend's 7-month old baby. http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/julia-webb-runs-3815-10k-while-pushing-a-stroller

AAA - just do it. Took me a long while to convince myself to take time for my pursuits. My kids get the bulk of my time, but once in awhile I have to do something to maintain my sanity.

Out of likes but thanks. I need to do it.

SFBayDuck said:
Brony said:
Sounds awesome!

:lmao: :lmao: Glad it didn't happen to me....

It's one thing to be passed by stroller guy, but to lose the overall win to a stroller? IN THE LAST 100 meters????????

I'd rather be punched in the face.

Out of likes but thanks. I need to do it.
You sound like Otis.
Oof - that one hurts GB. ;)

Otis is pulling a big scam - did you see the pic he posted? He doesn't even really look that overweight. Woz on the other hand :whistle:

Anyway, I'm going to sign up - need to start looking today to find a race.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
SFBayDuck said:
Brony said:
Sounds awesome!

It's one thing to be passed by stroller guy, but to lose the overall win to a stroller? IN THE LAST 100 meters????????

There was a dude running at the field with his stroller - he was flying. I just kept thinking that it must be kind of fun if you are the kid getting a ride like that.

SFBayDuck said:
Brony said:
Sounds awesome!

At least it was a guy that passed him.

My running doc says that my pain is in my soleus not gastrocs. anatomyfail. So next steps are continue light running without over-doing it, massage the h3ll out of it post run, and strengthen soleus with elastic band heel lifts. He will see if there is an adjustment in the inserts. I think I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary of this diagnostic journey.

No running for me. Sitting in the hospital waiting them to transfer mom this morning (finally!).

She's going into hospice care. There is nothing else we can do.

When I first started running, I thought I was pretty good for mid 40s. Then my ego was burst by being passed in the last few hundred yards of a 5k by a 72-year-old, then the guy pushing the stroller and finally by the guy running with his dog. I decided then and there that the dog was my arch nemesis and I would not rest until I beat her at a 5k. It took a couple of years but I got her eventually! I never have beaten the stroller guy.

No running for me. Sitting in the hospital waiting them to transfer mom this morning (finally!).

When I first started running, I thought I was pretty good for mid 40s. Then my ego was burst by being passed in the last few hundred yards of a 5k by a 72-year-old, then the guy pushing the stroller and finally by the guy running with his dog. I decided then and there that the dog was my arch nemesis and I would not rest until I beat her at a 5k. It took a couple of years but I got her eventually! I never have beaten the stroller guy.
Hey sorry to hear that about your mom. I just went through it with my dad. It's a heartbreaking thing to go through. I actually had one of my best runs ever that I posted about a couple of weeks ago it was in between visiting times at the hospital and it looked like dad was improving a bit and I ended up having such a great run, maybe because mentally I thought it would be ok. Turns out he had about a day and half left.

Really sorry to read this, worrier. If it's any comfort, Hospice is an incredible place. The most helpful and compassionate people I've ever met.

I wouldn't worry about being passed by Strollerguy. It's when you get passed by Walkerguy with tennis balls on the walker's front legs that you have problems. I, for instance, have problems.

Really sorry to read this, worrier. If it's any comfort, Hospice is an incredible place. The most helpful and compassionate people I've ever met.
Sorry to hear WorrierKing, but like Ned said she's in good hands.

I'll be in Boston for a conference the week of September 8th-11th. Will be staying within 2 miles or so of the end of the Boston Marathon finish line, so I thought I'd squeeze in a run or two heading that direction. I'm staying at the Omni Parker House hotel.

So, what's the running scene down there? I'm thinking a pain in the ###, but I'll be running early in the AM. Any thoughts from those that have been around there? Probably only do 5 or so mile runs that week.
Running in Boston is great. You should definitely do at least one run down by the Charles river where there is a riverside path for running and biking. From that hotel you just run on Tremont (it turns into Cambridge) and you'll end up at the river. There's a pretty good chance you could run that route and only have to stop at 1 or 2 traffic lights. If you want to do a longer run, the river path creates an 18+ mile route from Boston out to Watertown. I also like running the common and down newbury st. It's crowded but I think it's fun to have so much going on as I run. You could also run across the bridge over into Charlestown.
I used to live in Boston and this is spot on.

Week 15 is done. I'm happy with where I'm at heading into the taper.

Mon: 10.2 MLR @ 8:04/141. Legs were sore from Saturday's MP run, but felt strong.

Tue: 6.02 Recovery @ 9:07/131. Suck index is back.

Wed: 13.97 MLR @ 8:16/147. So hot/soupy out there. Happy to survive this one.

Thu: 7.63 Progression @ 7:47/155. Stupid to try this in the heat. Stomach cramps forced me to walk for a minute, but finished strong otherwise.

Fri: 12.04 MLR @ 7:59/143. Ran at the tail end of the storms. Still soupy, but felt very strong. Really expected a grind after the tough Wed/Thu workouts.

Sat: 6.01 Recovery @ 9:02/128. Amazing weather!

Sun: 21.16 LR @ 7:57/144. My single best long run ever. Weather was insane and I had energy galore.

77.03mi for the week. I'm looking forward to the taper and catching up on some sleep!

Tale of two halves for me this week. First half wasn't all that great but had some fantastic runs later.

Mon 5.24/8:13/122 I was planning to run 10 or so but as I wrote about Monday, my Achilles tendons in both legs started throbbing with pain and I cut the run short. Fortunately I was more careful with morning stretches the rest of the week and it didn't act up again.

Tues 8.11/7:54/128 I was just hoping to make it through without Achilles pain.

Wed 10.27/7:37/132 I was planning to do a tempo run but I felt really sluggish the first few miles. I started the tempo part but bailed on it during the first half mile. I didn't physically or mentally want to continue a fast run. However, as this run went on, I felt better. I decided to push hard mile 10 and ran a 5:39. I have a one mile race on Labor Day and I want to get a bit used to a high effort for that distance. I was hoping to run under 5:30 but I guess 5:39 isn't bad considering the 9 miles that preceded it.

Thurs 14.80/7:18/134 I wasn't planning to run as fast as I did but the weather was about 60 degrees and I was feeling strong. From a pace/heart rate perspective, probably one of my best runs ever.

Fri 6.34/7:34/130

Sat 18.05/6:51/144 This was supposed to be 18 with 14 at marathon pace (6:52) but didn't end up that way.

First few miles after the 4 easy ones, 6:49/141, 6:42/145, 6:43/149, 6:35/149. After that 6:35 I thought about how I was running way too fast but when I'd check my heart rate it was around 150. I envision my marathon pace heart rate to be about 155 so I thought I would be OK to stay at that pace since it didn't feel too hard and the heart rate was within the zone. Next set of miles, 6:40/152 (some uphill), 6:35/147, 6:31/145, 6:36/151, 6:32/151, 6:32/152. At this point I decided to push a little harder. McMillan writes about the Gabriele Rosa fast finish long run and I like the idea of trying to empty the tank on a long run like that. Last four miles: 6:26/154, 6:22/158, 6:17/158, 6:14/159. I don't know if I emptied the tank but those last few miles seemed about as fast as I could muster! Heart rate still low, though.

This ended up being perhaps my best training run ever. Over the last few years my marathon pace runs have been very difficult to get through and it feels great to be feel OK running it even faster. The only negative during this run is I bailed on my gel strategy. I literally gagged when taking my second gel and when it was time to take the third I had zero interest in food and skipped it. This has never happened to me before and worries me some. Hopefully that's just a one time thing.

Sun 6.41/7:42/135 Heart rate tells the story that I was still tired from Saturday.

Overall, 69.21 miles for the week. 8 hours 34 minutes of running time, good for 5th place for the week on Strava Team FFA. By the way, I'm at 221.59 miles for the month with 8 days to go. I didn't originally think I was going to do 300 miles but with 5 weekends in the month (and thus 5 long runs) it looks like I'm about on pace for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mon: 10.2 MLR @ 8:04/141. Legs were sore from Saturday's MP run, but felt strong.

Thu: 7.63 Progression @ 7:47/155. Stupid to try this in the heat. Stomach cramps forced me to walk for a minute, but finished strong otherwise.

Fri: 12.04 MLR @ 7:59/143. Ran at the tail end of the storms. Still soupy, but felt very strong. Really expected a grind after the tough Wed/Thu workouts.

Sun: 21.16 LR @ 7:57/144. My single best long run ever. Weather was insane and I had energy galore.

77.03mi for the week. I'm looking forward to the taper and catching up on some sleep!
Just wondering in general, not just you Ned. How do you guys manage your routes to get close to the distance goals you looking for while still being a solid route? Also the schedule for how to progress farther and farther into running and knowing when to do the rest days and so forth..?

Just wondering in general, not just you Ned. How do you guys manage your routes to get close to the distance goals you looking for while still being a solid route? Also the schedule for how to progress farther and farther into running and knowing when to do the rest days and so forth..?
For planning routes, MapMyRun: http://www.mapmyrun.com/works great. Travelling for work or on vacation you can just map a route to get the desired distance. You can also search saved routes close to where you are. There is a High School .3 miles from my house. The track & XC coaches have saved dozens of routes for the kids to run of just about every distance. Out and backs are an easy way too (but I tend to be a bot OCD and don't like running back in the same tracks if I can help it).

For planning routes, MapMyRun: http://www.mapmyrun.com/works great. Travelling for work or on vacation you can just map a route to get the desired distance. You can also search saved routes close to where you are. There is a High School .3 miles from my house. The track & XC coaches have saved dozens of routes for the kids to run of just about every distance. Out and backs are an easy way too (but I tend to be a bot OCD and don't like running back in the same tracks if I can help it).
Thanks. If I select a premade route in the app does it use voice commands to direct me through the router with gps or do I need the phone out the whole time?

Thanks. If I select a premade route in the app does it use voice commands to direct me through the router with gps or do I need the phone out the whole time?
What kind of location do you live in? If it's in a city, then you might just need to focus on the "out" points/streets that you need to reach. The exact path to get to that point can vary. For example, I'm on the western edge of Chicago, and virtually all the main streets are on half-mile grids. I can easily weave along until I hit the desired northernmost or easternmost point, for example. If you're in the suburbs, you probably have fewer streets to choose from, so it's just knowing which ones to take. Over time, you'd develop favorite routes and variations on the theme (to pick up in extra mile or two when desired). Some of the fun is when you're on the edge of being lost ...you know you'll reach a certain road or landmark at some point, but you're not exactly sure when.

Also the schedule for how to progress farther and farther into running and knowing when to do the rest days and so forth..?
Regarding this part, most of us have run schedules that we found out of a book or online at some point. Some of us stick with various schedules and some of us do our own thing based on some of the principles we've learned and experience with how are body responds to different training. If you're looking for a recommendation, I suspect you'll get a few if you let us know your background and some of your running goals.

Wow! Juxt on Saturday with "perhaps my best training run ever" and Ned today with "my single best long run ever." Fantastic! You guys are rocking. Juxt, don't force miles and risk damage just to reach 300.

Remind me/us of your race pace goals. And Ned (Juxt, too?), what's your needed Boston time/pace?

Mon: AM 5.86 @ 8:41/128. PM 4.02 @ 8:23/145.

Tue: 10 with 4 at tempo. The humidity was bad, tempo miles 6:21 164, 6:23 175, 6:23 179, and 6:22 181. I was kind of worried about this one since I ran this with a guy who has crazy talent but really doesn't train. This guy can roll out of bed and run a sub 65 10 miler. Usually when he shows up I end up running faster than I would like, and I was wondering if I was up for it since I ran 20 on Sun and 10 Mon. On this day the conditions were so bad that he could only keep up with me for 3 miles, so I am not too worried about my HR ramping up at the end.

Wed: 15.02 @ 8:25/143. I am not much of a sweater, but I was soaked after this one.

Thu: 6.19 @ 8:28/137.

Fri: 13.06 @ 8:14/136.

Sat: 6.23 @ 8:42/124.

Sun: 18 with 10 at Marathon Pace with the MP miles avg 6:47 158. Feeling really good about this, for my previous three marathons my avg HR was 170, 163, and 167. Ran this fasted with no water during the run.

78.62 miles total, a new weekly PR for me. It looks like Sept 13 is going to be a good day around here.

I've never tried it, but it does look like you can pull routes on to a Garmin or other device. http://www.mapmyrun.com/blog/garmin-connect-is-now-live-with-mapmyfitness-3408/ I guess I'm old school. I'd typically just memorize the route and if there was a ton of turns I'd write them on my hand or one of those small hotel note pad sheets.

Wow! Juxt on Saturday with "perhaps my best training run ever" and Ned today with "my single best long run ever." Fantastic! You guys are rocking. Juxt, don't force miles and risk damage just to reach 300.

Remind me/us of your race pace goals. And Ned (Juxt, too?), what's your needed Boston time/pace?
Marathon goal is sub 3:00 so a 6.52 pace. I'm getting old so I qualify for Boston with a 3:25. I won't run Boston in 2016 but I'm thinking about it for 2017. Half marathon PR pace is 6:30 so I'll try to run miles in the 6:20s when we run Naperville Trails.

Sun: 18 with 10 at Marathon Pace with the MP miles avg 6:47 158. Feeling really good about this, for my previous three marathons my avg HR was 170, 163, and 167. Ran this fasted with no water during the run.
Great week but no water? :shock: Why?
I never carry water with me, and on my long runs I usually stop by my house or a water fountain along the trail I run on. I ran directly to the trail this morning and the water fountain is at the bottom of a significant hill. I didn't want to run any MP miles up the hill so I didn't hit the water fountain. The conditions were so good that I didn't need it.

I am very, very happy after that week of training. I ended on a bad note last week, but this week was almost perfect. Tuesday's recovery run was awful, but if you're going to have a bad run that's the one.

Monday - 4 night time miles, 7:28/7:13/7:38/7:05. It was very humid, so with heavy legs my time wasn't what I wanted it to be but I'm not disappointed at all about the output.

Tuesday - I had a miserable evening 2 1/2 mile recovery run, but given everything from the past 10 days I chalked it up to exhaustion. Besides, I had a great strength training workout earlier in the day anyway.

Wednesday - much needed off day.

Thursday - refreshed, I nailed another strength training workout and had plenty of energy for a few hours of yard work that night.

Friday - when my week got good. 7 miles in the afternoon heat. The first 3 1/2 miles are a slow but steady climb and I was able to keep my pace sub 8 without being at all uncomfortable. I wanted to do the 3 1/2 miles back downhill all in sub 7:30, but it took a little while to get in a groove. My final 3 splits were still 7:38/7:18/6:41.

Saturday - breakthrough run, 11 1/4 trail miles in an hour and 34 minutes (8:17 pace). Not quite 1K in climbs, but close. I was very stiff to start as I didn't get below 9:30 until mile 4 (8:23), but once loosened up I didn't have a single mile under 8:07 the rest of the way - the mile climbing up a rooted cliff withstanding anyway. I probably went a little faster than I should have, but I never felt uncomfortable until the very end and that's primarily because I've only ran > 10 miles once this summer and that was my race in July. Still, my cardio was in control, my legs were just fatigued, which is very encouraging. I was really taken a back when I saw my output immediately afterward, but today is when I'm really excited about those back to back runs. I feel fine. I haven't back-to-backed that distance in about 10 months and I never felt as well as I do now.

Sunday - I resisted the urge to run today and kept with just strength training and had gains for the 7th consecutive session. I'll head out and do some yard work tonight to set me up for a week that will be more devoted to running as I start to veer away from strength training.

I'm not going to back-to-back this week, but I have a 7-off-12-off-lift-8 scheduled from Friday to next Tuesday. I wish it were Friday now :excited:

FUBAR - Congrats!! Looking forward to details.

Juxt - what an incredible week! When I saw the summary come up on my strava feed, I had to do a triple take. You averaged MP for the whole 18!!!

pbm - the fact you're nailing 6:52 or better so early in your cycle is an awesome sign!!

MAC - great work!

NREC - Be careful, this place is addicting.

Tri - I need 3:10 for Boston, but we know that won't make the real cutoff. My A-goal is 3:05 on 9/13. B goal is 3:08. There is no C goal.

I never carry water with me, and on my long runs I usually stop by my house or a water fountain along the trail I run on. I ran directly to the trail this morning and the water fountain is at the bottom of a significant hill. I didn't want to run any MP miles up the hill so I didn't hit the water fountain. The conditions were so good that I didn't need it.
damn. I can see doing that, maybe, with a very low SI and a MAF run, but with your pace? :eek:

how do you feel afterwards?

damn. I can see doing that, maybe, with a very low SI and a MAF run, but with your pace? :eek:

how do you feel afterwards?
I felt fine and for all my other runs over 12 miles this summer I have stopped for some water, and I probably would have took some water today if it was more convenient but it wasn't so I didn't. I intended on weighing myself after the run but forgot.

Users who are viewing this thread