What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

I think I know where juxt coming from, though.  Skipping runs or cutting them short pretty much never happens for me, but when it comes to stretching, rolling, and rehab stuff I am the absolute worst.

I am debating stretching distance this summer and fall.  The longest I've ever run in time and distance is a marathon.  Since I don't think there will be races this fall, this gives me something different to try.  I'm not sure if I should since I'm been struggling with nagging injuries.  Running slower helps though so maybe it wouldn't be too bad.  I could also do stuff to try to cure the injuries if I wasn't so l
I having struggling with how to proceed with the likelihood of fall races being cancelled.  As of today I think I will start marathon training July 6 but knowing that it will likely be cancelled and there will be some training challenges along the way. The public restrooms and water fountains being closed, wanting to avoid people on trails have forced me to change up my running routes.  Not having access to a treadmill during the summer months may cause me to shorten or change some of the workouts.  Starting next week I will be travelling to California for work every 3 weeks for a week, and I don’t know how the running situation will work out there.

On the other hand I have more time than ever really to train so I might as well take advantage of it. I was planning on racing my 1 mile this morning after taking it easy on Saturday and Sunday but woke up with knee pain.  Knee started feeling fine later in the morning so I will be making my attempt tomorrow morning. 

I having struggling with how to proceed with the likelihood of fall races being cancelled.  As of today I think I will start marathon training July 6 but knowing that it will likely be cancelled and there will be some training challenges along the way. The public restrooms and water fountains being closed, wanting to avoid people on trails have forced me to change up my running routes.  Not having access to a treadmill during the summer months may cause me to shorten or change some of the workouts.  Starting next week I will be travelling to California for work every 3 weeks for a week, and I don’t know how the running situation will work out there.

On the other hand I have more time than ever really to train so I might as well take advantage of it. I was planning on racing my 1 mile this morning after taking it easy on Saturday and Sunday but woke up with knee pain.  Knee started feeling fine later in the morning so I will be making my attempt tomorrow morning. 
Where to?

I have to stay at hotel that gives government rates, so I will be closer to this trail.  
:mellow:

My brother used to live in Huntington and I've stayed at the Hyatt a few times.  Great little town and while it's cliche to complain about LA traffic, the traffic in downtown HB is ridiculously bad. 

I think I know where juxt coming from, though.  Skipping runs or cutting them short pretty much never happens for me, but when it comes to stretching, rolling, and rehab stuff I am the absolute worst.
I think we all naturally gravitate towards what's familiar, what comes naturally easiest, when we're out of structure and without a goal on the horizon. For me, that's the maintenance stuff. For others, it's not. And for some others it's not doing anything at all. 

:mellow:

My brother used to live in Huntington and I've stayed at the Hyatt a few times.  Great little town and while it's cliche to complain about LA traffic, the traffic in downtown HB is ridiculously bad. 
I have been there a couple times and enjoyed my time there, this trip won't be much fun in this environment. 

I have been there a couple times and enjoyed my time there, this trip won't be much fun in this environment. 
If it lasts until the fall/winter you could have some culture shock amusement.  A few years back I had to go to the Ventura area monthly and the looks you get running in shorts and a tee shirt when it's 55 degrees out are pretty hilarious.

I am debating stretching distance this summer and fall.  The longest I've ever run in time and distance is a marathon.  Since I don't think there will be races this fall, this gives me something different to try.  I'm not sure if I should since I'm been struggling with nagging injuries.  Running slower helps though so maybe it wouldn't be too bad.  I could also do stuff to try to cure the injuries if I wasn't so lazy.
So you're contemplating stepping up to an ultra distance?  Is that what you're saying?

@SayWhat? you and the family staying safe up there in MSP?  
We’re right on the edge of North Minneapolis, so a bit of a heightened state, but thus far the closest anything has come is probably a half mile or so as far as I can tell.  Just more or less crappy all the way around that something like that could even happen, and that in 2020 we’re still dealing with issues like this across our country.  Also, explaining racism to an eight year old is pretty depressing, I’m not going to lie.  I think I may need to pay a member of Antifa/BLM/white supremacists/etc (pick your theory) to take a pause and chase me down so I can drop a mile time that’s not completely embarrassing here in the next two weeks.

Also, my wife and I have been on the main road that runs by our house for a collective five minutes today and seen three vehicles (white truck, white van, and black SUV) with no license plates.  May be just a heightened state for that kind of stuff, but ####’s just weird right now.

I hope all you guys, your families, and friends are safe and well right now.  

Also, my wife and I have been on the main road that runs by our house for a collective five minutes today and seen three vehicles (white truck, white van, and black SUV) with no license plates.  May be just a heightened state for that kind of stuff, but ####’s just weird right now.

I hope all you guys, your families, and friends are safe and well right now.  
Was out for a walk tonight after dark (just walked in at 11pm).  Saw a bunch of really sketchy people out and about.  Random people sitting in cars with lights off, dudes hanging out in parking lots, etc.   Multiple cars honking horns at me and a couple other pedestrians.  It was weird.  I walk a lot at night, and it definitely feels different right now.   Could just be psychological.

Anyone ever have a good pop?

I was laying on the couch last night.  I think I shifted or something and felt a pop in the back of my knee.  It was painful but not too bad.  It because a little sore afterwards and when I woke up although it was fine after the first 1/4 mile of my run this morning.

The thing is, my hamstring feels better.  I noticed that right after the pop.  I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but maybe something shifted back to a good place?  I think I've had stuff like this happen before.  

Thanks, started out too hot but still got a respectable time in.  I'm hoping I won't have to run this again on June 14.
I found a nice course a little closer to home.  We'll see if I find the motivation to go and attempt sub-5.  Right now I'm ambivalent.

Anyone ever have a good pop?

I was laying on the couch last night.  I think I shifted or something and felt a pop in the back of my knee.  It was painful but not too bad.  It because a little sore afterwards and when I woke up although it was fine after the first 1/4 mile of my run this morning.

The thing is, my hamstring feels better.  I noticed that right after the pop.  I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but maybe something shifted back to a good place?  I think I've had stuff like this happen before.  
I've had Orthopedic docs and PTs do some Miyagi magic but my body on its own can only muster unproductive farts. 

gruecd said:
@pbm107 in with a blazing fast 5:05.  That makes two guys on Team Grue with a faster mile time than Juxt!  ;)  
I was looking at the spreadsheet yesterday, and it sort of feels like the opposite of the 10k - it's definitely not over and I expect our speedsters to crush it, but a lot of things need to break Team Juxt's way from here to make this close.  Very impressive start from the Grues.  

I was looking at the spreadsheet yesterday, and it sort of feels like the opposite of the 10k - it's definitely not over and I expect our speedsters to crush it, but a lot of things need to break Team Juxt's way from here to make this close.  Very impressive start from the Grues.  
Only one thing needs to happen. I need to not be injured 

:kicksrock:

Good Afternoon Racers,

The Team Rocket Tri Club Board met via video messenger last night to discuss our summer racing season. After much consideration, and given the near impossible task of socially distancing at this race venue, we've decided the Huntsville Sprint Triathlon presented by Edward Jones will be a VIRTUAL race this year. We did not make this decision lightly. Please know that athlete and volunteer safety is our top priority. What does this mean for you? You still get to train for a triathlon AND you get to chose your race date, time and location. Racers will complete a 400 meter swim, 7 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. Athletes will also have the option of substituting a .5 mile run or walk for the swim if a pool is unavailable. (400 meters = approximately 425 yards)

Athletes can complete the required race distances anytime between Saturday, August 1st and Sunday, August 9th. After completing your event, simply email your time to the Race Director at bigdogand4@gmail.com, so you can be included on the FINISHER'S LIST. 

To Finish is To Win and I want each of you to cross your own finish line! FINISHER SWAG pickup will be available curbside at Fleet Feet Sports Huntsville on Friday, August 14 and Saturday, August 15 from 10:00am - 4:00pm.

Because this is the 40th anniversary of the race, the FINISHER SWAG is sweet! Each finisher will receive a special 40th anniversary BOCO visor, finisher medal and super soft finisher t-shirt.

I've chosen to keep the race registration fee at the early-bird price to encourage everyone to get outside and swim, bike and run. Recruit your friends and let's have some fun this summer. If you'd like help with training, check out Fleet Feet's Summer Triathlon Training program here: https://www.fleetfeet.com/s/huntsville/training/2020-summer-triathlon-training or read the HSV Sprint Tri Tips here: https://www.teamrockettri.org/training-tips-huntsville-sprint-triathlon/

Race proceeds will be donated to the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation on behalf of Coach Rick Grief. The 40th Annual Huntsville Sprint Triathlon is presented by Edward Jones. Thank you for supporting this race!

I assume a lot of races will be virtual. 

But man, the 400m swim vs half mile run isn't even close time wise. Doesn't matter, as everyone is a winner, but still. Roughly speaking, 400m is closer to a full mile. 

:kicksrock:

Good Afternoon Racers,

The Team Rocket Tri Club Board met via video messenger last night to discuss our summer racing season. After much consideration, and given the near impossible task of socially distancing at this race venue, we've decided the Huntsville Sprint Triathlon presented by Edward Jones will be a VIRTUAL race this year. We did not make this decision lightly. Please know that athlete and volunteer safety is our top priority. What does this mean for you? You still get to train for a triathlon AND you get to chose your race date, time and location. Racers will complete a 400 meter swim, 7 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. Athletes will also have the option of substituting a .5 mile run or walk for the swim if a pool is unavailable. (400 meters = approximately 425 yards)

Athletes can complete the required race distances anytime between Saturday, August 1st and Sunday, August 9th. After completing your event, simply email your time to the Race Director at bigdogand4@gmail.com, so you can be included on the FINISHER'S LIST. 
34:47 is my time.  Hope I podium.

HR above 150 this morning by the end of my 10K, at an easy pace.  #### this heat.

Maybe it's helping acclimate me for R2R2R later this year.  I hope.

HR above 150 this morning by the end of my 10K, at an easy pace.  #### this heat.

Maybe it's helping acclimate me for R2R2R later this year.  I hope.
Somehow I missed when you posted about the R2R2R last time.  Very jealous - going to the bottom of the canyon is definitely a bucket list item for me.

Oh and I just want to thank you pushers for causing me to spend an hour looking at 50K's in PA.  Not mentally ready for either yet, but a trail 50K sounds way more enticing to me than a road marathon.  Definitely NOT mentioning it to the wife at this point...   :whistle:
Is a half marathon the longest distance you've raced?  I don't remember.

Oh and I just want to thank you pushers for causing me to spend an hour looking at 50K's in PA.  Not mentally ready for either yet, but a trail 50K sounds way more enticing to me than a road marathon.  Definitely NOT mentioning it to the wife at this point...   :whistle:
Yeah my trail 50K was about 1,000% more enjoyable than my street marathons.  I took it at a pace slower than I was capable of (playing it safe), but it was still so much better.

I'm hoping I'm able to fly north every weekend soon, so that at least only three runs a week will be in the sweatbox.  

But yeah, no idea how I'm going to manage 85F when I have trouble with 75F.
You run early in the morning so it really shouldn't be an issue for you as far as the temp.  However, when the humidity ramps up, that's what is going to kick your ###.  I'm looking now and the dew point where you are is 67 right now.  That's likely what made your run more difficult this morning.  Now you get to enjoy the Suck Index and why dew point matters. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You run early in the morning so it really shouldn't be an issue for you as far as the temp.  However, when the humidity ramps up, that's what is going to kick your ###.  I'm looking now and the dew point where you are is 67 right now.  That's likely what made your run more difficult this morning.  Now you get to enjoy the Suck Index and why dew point matters. 
Yeah, early morning is best for temps, but dew point is usually the worst.  I've noticed this as I've been planning runs through the week, in order to try to put my 13-miler on the "best" weekday.  

I've also ordered a hydration vest.  Normally I would only use one on 3+ hour trail runs up north, but here in DFW I'm probably going to have to start using it on every run.  I think much of my issue is dehydration -- my shirt (not buff like @gruecd to run shirtless) this morning was saturated and dripping by the time I got home.  There was literally a trail of sweat from where I entered the house through to the shower.  :X

Yeah, early morning is best for temps, but dew point is usually the worst.  I've noticed this as I've been planning runs through the week, in order to try to put my 13-miler on the "best" weekday.  

I've also ordered a hydration vest.  Normally I would only use one on 3+ hour trail runs up north, but here in DFW I'm probably going to have to start using it on every run.  I think much of my issue is dehydration -- my shirt (not buff like @gruecd to run shirtless) this morning was saturated and dripping by the time I got home.  There was literally a trail of sweat from where I entered the house through to the shower.  :X
We skinny folks can run shirtless too.  

I hope to shed 10-15 seconds off my time in round 2.  Round 2 will be downhill about 80 feet of elevation

Eastern or Western PA?

Users who are viewing this thread