What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

What does it take to get me to come out of race retirement?
12 doughnuts!
Returning for another go after 9 years but bringing the wife and kids.
(Using a college tour of NC State as an excuse for the drive from PA)

I did it once before in 2014 and here were my notes...
"Garmin Breakdown: First 2.5mi - 19:30 (7:48/mi), eating doughnuts - 15:30 (1:17/doughnut), last 2.5mi - 19:16 (7:42/mi). Note to self: Donuts make me faster"
Fun trip down to Raleigh with the family for a college visit to NC State and the Krispy Kreme doughnut challenge on Saturday. We got a room in the Raleigh Aloft hotel that was directly across from the bell tower and directly over the starting line. That came in pretty handy since it was below 20F at the start at 8am. We stayed in the room until they were lining up and then headed right down.

I got in just good enough shape to complete the challenge without stopping to walk at all and was pleasantly surprised to come in at a time almost the same as 2014 at just under 55 minutes. My running pace dropped a bit but fortunately my eating pace picked up enough to make up for it!
🏃‍♂️🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩 🏃‍♂️

Hey guys. We are just about a year out from the US Olympic Trials in Orlando for the marathon (scheduled for February 3, 2024).

A few questions:

1. I'd like to think we could get some guys to head down for the trials (and if there are any races for us to run). Who here is interested?
2. Is anyone familiar with Orlando? Any idea where they may start/finish this race? We are a year away so hotels should be open for booking and I'd like to book somewhere centrally located, but I'm not familiar with Orlando at all other than Disney....and I'm pretty sure they won't be running the trials around WDW. This article references "downtown" several times.
3. What else am I missing?

Hey guys. We are just about a year out from the US Olympic Trials in Orlando for the marathon (scheduled for February 3, 2024).

A few questions:

1. I'd like to think we could get some guys to head down for the trials (and if there are any races for us to run). Who here is interested?
2. Is anyone familiar with Orlando? Any idea where they may start/finish this race? We are a year away so hotels should be open for booking and I'd like to book somewhere centrally located, but I'm not familiar with Orlando at all other than Disney....and I'm pretty sure they won't be running the trials around WDW. This article references "downtown" several times.
I don't think I could qualify. So I probably won't sign up.

For my weekend mother nature ended up giving a decent reprieve from what I was expecting. I was able to wait until lunchtime to run, so the temp was up to 18F and the wind was light to moderate rather than the gusting mess it had been the previous 24 hours. Went with two pairs of underwear for better twig protection. Actually had some welcome apricity in the middle section of the run, which at one point was enough to temporarily ditch the gloves. Had fairly persistent bear calls, but was able to successfully let them go to voice mail.

I tried something new with putting a little vaseline over the tearing zone around the outside of my eye and I think it helped a lot. I may have to start doing that more often for my winter runs.

The coming week looks quite pleasant, with potential to break the shorts out again. I would be tempted to go tonight after work but I did some weighted Bulgarian split squats last night and my quads are a bit miffed at the moment.

A few questions:

A good friend of mine is running, so I'm definitely interested. I'd definitely have to bring the wife and kid.

Intervals suck. I never understand why my legs won't go faster! Oh, and I pretty much feel like puking after the last couple :yucky:

I am looking forward to getting into the part of training that is just GMP-10.

A few questions:

Would like to go. Haven’t seen anything more on course specifics.

Intervals suck. I never understand why my legs won't go faster! Oh, and I pretty much feel like puking after the last couple :yucky:

Those intervals look really good to me! Low-6:xx pacing and touching on some sub-6:00 ...just a little slower on the last one. That could mean you're pushing them too hard. Maybe you're convincing yourself that they need to be really fast instead of letting the first few seem comfortably uncomfortable so that you can get in 6-10 of them.

A few questions:

LFG! I got y’all!

@Juxtatarot It doesn't quite hit your <10 year criterion, but I thought of you and your quest for new music, as my daughter introduced me to the Vaccines, and I really enjoy their first album.

Thanks! I’ll give it a listen. I find myself listening to music more and more in recent years. Mostly newer stuff. There is so much out there and streaming services certainly make it easy!

Nice work, looking at the pace for the 1200s has them around or faster than 5k pace, yes ? Not sure what ranges you are working in for the speed stuff based on goal times but the general Hanson range is 5k to 10k pace on the speed and I err on the slower side bc poosy and they smash my legs too early in the cycle.

Nice work, looking at the pace for the 1200s has them around or faster than 5k pace, yes ? Not sure what ranges you are working in for the speed stuff based on goal times but the general Hanson range is 5k to 10k pace on the speed and I err on the slower side bc poosy and they smash my legs too early in the cycle.
I always aim for a bit faster than 5K pace because I'm slow AF and want to improve my speed.

I always aim for a bit faster than 5K pace because I'm slow AF and want to improve my speed.
I think my strides pace is slower than my 5k pace at present so maybe I should stfu.

Those intervals look really good to me! Low-6:xx pacing and touching on some sub-6:00 ...just a little slower on the last one. That could mean you're pushing them too hard. Maybe you're convincing yourself that they need to be really fast instead of letting the first few seem comfortably uncomfortable so that you can get in 6-10 of them.

6-10???!!!:angry: I'm trying to run these 1200s at a 5k pace!

Get that nonsense out of here :p

Yeah, I'm supposed to do the 5-10k pace, but the calculators are silly. For a 3:20 marathon, the conversion for a 5k is a 6:43 pace. I can run faster than that, so I am trying to run these at what would be a legit pace.

But, yes. These are pretty brutal, especially because I am doing them the day after my long runs due to schedule conflicts.

Yeah, I'm realizing I'm slow. I try to run faster, but my legs do not agree. I'm basically hauling *** as long as I can on these things

@Juxtatarot It doesn't quite hit your <10 year criterion, but I thought of you and your quest for new music, as my daughter introduced me to the Vaccines, and I really enjoy their first album.

Thanks! I’ll give it a listen. I find myself listening to music more and more in recent years. Mostly newer stuff. There is so much out there and streaming services certainly make it easy!
I particularly like the closing track, Family Friend.

Yes, it's a new world for sure. Without radio and record labels to gatekeep, there's just so much out there regardless of what genre you're into. I want to spring for Spotify premium, but I don't want to give up my Sirius subscription for my long drives with lousy cell coverage, and it just seems excessive to pay for two different music services.

I am looking forward to getting into the part of training that is just GMP-10. Click to expand... Nice work, looking at the pace for the 1200s has them around or faster than 5k pace, yes ? Not sure what ranges you are working in for the speed stuff based on goal times but the general Hanson range is 5k to 10k pace on the speed and I err on the slower side bc poosy and they smash my legs too early in the cycle. Click to expand... I always aim for a bit faster than 5K pace because I'm slow AF and want to improve my speed.
Yeah, I'm realizing I'm slow. I try to run faster, but my legs do not agree. I'm basically hauling *** as long as I can on these things
The feeling that my legs can't go much faster than my 5K pace for more than a few seconds is why I started experimenting with weight training. No idea if it's working or not, although I've been doing some fast finishes on my long runs and I've been pleasantly surprised that I can get in the low 6's on tired legs. One of these days I'll have to do 6x400 or if I'm feeling masochistic 10x400 to see if there's any improvement going on.

So, @xulf , an alternative is to ladder them and shorten them, if you want to build speed. Start with, say, a 200m and work up to 800m ...and then work it back down (200-400-600-800-600-400-200 ..maybe double up the 800 at the top). Slow a little as the distance increases, but not much.

That said, for marathon training, I feel mile or even two-mile repeats are more beneficial. You don't need that top-end speed.

@xulf I get the schedule conflicts, but intervals the day after a long run may be the problem. If time is an issue I'd consider amending the interval workout on a different day.

Other than using a treadmill, what’s your strategy for your feet when it’s in the 30s and raining heavily? I went with light socks and shoes that would drain well. Trying to keep them warm and dry is probably impossible.

Other than using a treadmill, what’s your strategy for your feet when it’s in the 30s and raining heavily? I went with light socks and shoes that would drain well. Trying to keep them warm and dry is probably impossible.
Stay inside and watch sports.

But then again, that's my strategy most days. Obviously.

That's probably the best you can do ...just squish it out as the miles roll on.

I lube up my feet fully with Vaseline. From heel to toes and make sure its in between all the toes.

I did this for 2018 Boston Marathon and I was soaked but feet had zero blisters at all. The vaseline probably helps a little with keeping heat in but not much.

Double socks - one pair of thick dry, whether the second pair are old compressions or short light ones depends on how much water ia on the road. Also, I wear my old running shoes.

Pg. 3? No one has done something stupid or epic lately?

Right now, it seems, many are just fighting through the strong winds.
Since you popped in, I couldn't find them on the search function, but I believe you had pretty specific targets for your HR during a marathon (I don't remember if they were based on HRR or beats from HRmax)? I'm curious because I've been doing a decent chunk of my runs somewhere near what I think would be my marathon pace if I ever run one, and was trying to figure out what the HR data from those particular runs says about my current fitness level.

I finished my work weight loss thing. Finished 3rd out of ~40. Dropped 18 pounds in 5 weeks.

Logged everything in Myfitnesspal without a goal in mind outside of keeping net calories low. I wound up averaging around 400 to 500 cal/day. I ate carrots or whole peanuts when I was super hungry. Cut out beer, but still had wine or bourbon on weekends. Thankful to be done.

I finished my work weight loss thing. Finished 3rd out of ~40. Dropped 18 pounds in 5 weeks.

Logged everything in Myfitnesspal without a goal in mind outside of keeping net calories low. I wound up averaging around 400 to 500 cal/day. I ate carrots or whole peanuts when I was super hungry. Cut out beer, but still had wine or bourbon on weekends. Thankful to be done.
500 calories a day? Is that even healthy?

Congrats on an amazing 5 weeks of losing weight!

500 calories a day? Is that even healthy?

Congrats on an amazing 5 weeks of losing weight!
that was 400-500 net calories per day, but still certainly not the healthiest approach. While I wouldn't do that method if it wasn't a contest, I didn't experience any headaches or fatigue.

Worth noting that my calorie intake while putting on weight was also not "healthy" either.

I think @Brony wins for stupid and epic!

Since you popped in, I couldn't find them on the search function, but I believe you had pretty specific targets for your HR during a marathon (I don't remember if they were based on HRR or beats from HRmax)? I'm curious because I've been doing a decent chunk of my runs somewhere near what I think would be my marathon pace if I ever run one, and was trying to figure out what the HR data from those particular runs says about my current fitness level.
Resting HR is about 56. Max HR is maybe 180?

a) When I'm running with good discipline, my easy/all-day cruising pace is at around 140 or low 140s HR. (And no, I haven't been running with good discipline yet in my new environment.)

b) In shorter races, I can run hard effort in the mid/high 170s, but I'm at the end of my rope at that effort. In marathons, I can touch 170s late, but not for long.

c) Given those end points of my range: In a marathon, my ideal, after the first couple miles, is to settle in with mid/high 150s HR. I've deliberately held back in races to keep the HR below 160 at the half-marathon point. Over the second half, I'll let the HR start to move to the 160s and slowly climb from there.

E.g.s:
1/1/16 Texas Marathon (3:29) - pace from miles 18-finish about 10 sec/mile slower
147-152-154-156-157-157-157-156-156-156-156-159-158-HM-159-161-163-163-162-162-163-162-163-163-166-169-173-174

10/11/21 Boston Marathon (3:31:45) - second half was 1:40 slower (also around 10 sec/mi)
145-151-152-153-155-154-155-155-153-155-157-155-156-HM-158-158-155-163-163-164-164-165-163-167-166-166-166-169

YMMV

Nothing noteworthy here. Just enjoying the new normal on America's north coast. A 2 week winter followed by shoulder season commencing early February. Effective about an hour from now I will have logged 40 miles since Saturday afternoon - and the cloudy 40 degrees I'm about to run in is by far the 'worst' conditions I've had. I can get used to this.

I won't decide until the week of when I can get a good forecast, but I'm on the lookout for a March race (preferably 5 mile or 10K) before track meets take over my weekends starting in April.

Nothing noteworthy here. Just enjoying the new normal on America's north coast. A 2 week winter followed by shoulder season commencing early February. Effective about an hour from now I will have logged 40 miles since Saturday afternoon - and the cloudy 40 degrees I'm about to run in is by far the 'worst' conditions I've had. I can get used to this.

I won't decide until the week of when I can get a good forecast, but I'm on the lookout for a March race (preferably 5 mile or 10K) before track meets take over my weekends starting in April.
Or just book a 5K and make a wrong turn.

I think everyone is different. For me, my easy pace HR is in the low 120s. But now that I have had 4 weeks of downtime, that has climbed 10bpm.

On my recent marathon, my HR was in the 130-140 range for most of the race. Which was a little higher than usual due to the warmer temps. Once I turned-up the effort for the last 10K, I got on the steeper HR treadmill, blowing through 140 and getting into the 150s by the end.

I think the best test for me in training was to run 18-20 miles close to MP and see if I had more in the tank at the end. It wasn't about HR, more about perceived effort and capability at the end of a long run.

My 2 cents. Which you didn't ask for! :)

Or just book a 5K and make a wrong turn.
That's one of the races on the radar!

a) When I'm running with good discipline, my easy/all-day cruising pace is at around 140 or low 140s HR. (And no, I haven't been running with good discipline yet in my new environment.)

b) In shorter races, I can run hard effort in the mid/high 170s, but I'm at the end of my rope at that effort. In marathons, I can touch 170s late, but not for long.

c) Given those end points of my range: In a marathon, my ideal, after the first couple miles, is to settle in with mid/high 150s HR. I've deliberately held back in races to keep the HR below 160 at the half-marathon point. Over the second half, I'll let the HR start to move to the 160s and slowly climb from there.

E.g.s:
1/1/16 Texas Marathon (3:29) - pace from miles 18-finish about 10 sec/mile slower
147-152-154-156-157-157-157-156-156-156-156-159-158-HM-159-161-163-163-162-162-163-162-163-163-166-169-173-174

10/11/21 Boston Marathon (3:31:45) - second half was 1:40 slower (also around 10 sec/mi)
145-151-152-153-155-154-155-155-153-155-157-155-156-HM-158-158-155-163-163-164-164-165-163-167-166-166-166-169

YMMV
Very much appreciate the detailed response! I'm trying to do the TM-DZ conversion.
I think everyone is different. For me, my easy pace HR is in the low 120s. But now that I have had 4 weeks of downtime, that has climbed 10bpm.

On my recent marathon, my HR was in the 130-140 range for most of the race. Which was a little higher than usual due to the warmer temps. Once I turned-up the effort for the last 10K, I got on the steeper HR treadmill, blowing through 140 and getting into the 150s by the end.

I think the best test for me in training was to run 18-20 miles close to MP and see if I had more in the tank at the end. It wasn't about HR, more about perceived effort and capability at the end of a long run
Appreciate this as well. I agree everybody's different, but it gives me something else to think about.

I've been trying to run my long runs somewhere in the vicinity of what would be MP, but I haven't gone more than 12 lately. HRs seem to bounce around the 160s on these, but I'm not sure what that means. I know slow long runs (MP + 1:00 or so) will net me mid 140s and I don't really ever run much slower than that as it feels unnatural. And I know from HMs that when my HR goes above 180, I've probably got 5ish miles until things start to reeeaaaally suck. I'm trying to figure out the calibration for the area in between.

E.g.s:

YMMV
Very much appreciate the detailed response! I'm trying to do the TM-DZ conversion.

I think the best test for me in training was to run 18-20 miles close to MP and see if I had more in the tank at the end. It wasn't about HR, more about perceived effort and capability at the end of a long run
Appreciate this as well. I agree everybody's different, but it gives me something else to think about.

I've been trying to run my long runs somewhere in the vicinity of what would be MP, but I haven't gone more than 12 lately. HRs seem to bounce around the 160s on these, but I'm not sure what that means. I know slow long runs (MP + 1:00 or so) will net me mid 140s and I don't really ever run much slower than that as it feels unnatural. And I know from HMs that when my HR goes above 180, I've probably got 5ish miles until things start to reeeaaaally suck. I'm trying to figure out the calibration for the area in between.
I'd be careful about running long run at MP. For me, over time, that would lead me to injury as running MP is really hard on the body.

E.g.s:

YMMV

I'd be careful about running long run at MP. For me, over time, that would lead me to injury as running MP is really hard on the body.
Agreed, but this is why I am a big fan of the 3/1 long run. Attain a comfort level w MP on tired legs without overly taxing your body then needing to bake in extra recovery after.

E.g.s:

YMMV

These are the HR numbers I'm hoping for in April. Keep it low to mid 150s for the first half and know it will creep into the 160s and up to the 170s likely by the end.

For me, I think that is doable with leaving the tank empty by the end.

However, I don't have a max HR in the 190s like @Dr_Zaius

These are the HR numbers I'm hoping for in April. Keep it low to mid 150s for the first half and know it will creep into the 160s and up to the 170s likely by the end.

For me, I think that is doable with leaving the tank empty by the end.

However, I don't have a max HR in the 190s like @Dr_Zaius
Your HR looked great on your run yesterday (almost entering Zasada and juxt territory), and you weren't that much off of your goal pace. Even for your windy MP miles earlier in the week, things seemed fairly under control going by your HR.

Page 3 booo.
Strava feed showing a strong mix of long runs, workouts and consistency from the crew so far this year. Shaping up to be a big spring and beyond.
Nothing on the race calendar for Feb but that changes heading into March for the crew and then pops in April with a couple majors and Glass City.
Cheers fellas.

Yea! Flu bug! If it's like for my son and his family from a handful of days ago, it should be a 24-48 hour event. Had a couple of major, um, oral discharges around noon, which helped a lot to empty the tummy. Now I'm just hungry, tired, and complete-body sore. I.e., I feel like I just ran a marathon, which isn't all bad because I know that feeling. Pedialyte is my new BFF ...maybe I should add it to @ChiefD's garage items thread as something to keep on hand for days like today.

So… knee pain. Not severe and infrequently but definitely feel it uphill more than flat. If I’m paying attention to my form and landing flat foot instead of a heel strike it’s much better.

How do you know if it’s arthritis, bursitis, or something else?

Unrelated - air squats with the tens machine full blast on the quads is a fun experience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread