What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rank these quarterbacks all-time (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
Like the coaches list, I am picking more recent players (from the last 15 years or so). Rank these QB's:Joe MontanaSteve YoungDan MarinoJohn ElwayTroy AikmanBrett FavrePeyton ManningTom BradyThis is tough, but here goes:1. Elway2. Young3. Montana4. Marino5. Brady6. Manning7. Favre8. Aikman

1. Elway2. Montana3. Young4. Brady5. Favre6. Aikman7. Marino8. ManningIf Peyton wins the Super Bowl this year...go ahead and move him ahead of Favre. If Brady wins the Super Bowl...put him just a hair behind Elway at #2.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Elway

2. Montana

3. Young

4. Brady

5. Favre

6. Aikman

7. Marino

8. Manning

If Peyton wins the Super Bowl this year...go ahead and move him ahead of Favre. If Brady wins the Super Bowl...put him just a hair behind Elway at #2.
Championships are overrated when talking about the greatest at any one position (see Bart Starr ;) ) Football is a team sport.

Like the coaches list, I am picking more recent players (from the last 15 years or so).

Rank these QB's:

Joe Montana

Steve Young

Dan Marino

John Elway

Troy Aikman

Brett Favre

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

This is tough, but here goes:

1. Elway

2. Young

3. Montana

4. Marino

5. Brady

6. Manning

7. Favre

8. Aikman
J. Montana
J. Elway
B. Favre
T. Brady
D. Marino
P. Manning
S. Young
T. Aikman

Rank these QB's:

Joe Montana

Steve Young

Dan Marino

John Elway

Troy Aikman

Brett Favre

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady
1) Joe Montana2) Tom Brady (yes, you read that right)

3) Dan Marino

4) John Elway

5) Brett Favre

6) Steve Young

7) Troy Aikman

8) Peyton Manning

Montana and Brady for their leadership and Super Bowl appearances/wins. Marino purely on statistics. Elway, Favre, and Young for their leadership and Super Bowl appearances/wins. Aikman's Super Bowl wins cannot be denied and why I agree he should be in a list like this. Manning should be last when in this company........for now. He hasn't even appeared in a Super Bowl yet! If/when he does, and when all is said and done, he MAY wind up in the top 4 or 5. Who knows?

Brady - Won 3 championships with the least talentMontana - 4 championships with HOFsElway - Won 2 and with better talent could have won moreFavre - Won 1 - should have won 2Marino - If you switch his teams with Aikmans - Troy isn't on this listYoung - Underated QB and hampered by circumstanceAikman - A QB that IMO needed a great team to be greatManning - Moves up the list quick when he beats the Patriots or other big gameLAUNCH

1. Dan Marino2. Joe Montana3. Steve Young4. John Elway5. Tom Brady6. Brett Favre7. Peyton Manning8. Troy Aikman

1. Elway

2. Montana

3. Young

4. Brady

5. Favre

6. Aikman

7. Marino

8. Manning

If Peyton wins the Super Bowl this year...go ahead and move him ahead of Favre. If Brady wins the Super Bowl...put him just a hair behind Elway at #2.
Championships are overrated when talking about the greatest at any one position (see Bart Starr ;) ) Football is a team sport.
Politely disagree...to a point. If you are ranking QBs with similar careers (like these guys, they were ALL great)...then post season winners will get the nod everytime. Manning, Marino and Favre are probably the 2 best REGULAR season QBs of all-time...but neither comes close to matching Brady, Montana, and Elway's post-season success. Since those 3 all have been great regular season QBs as well, they rank ahead of the other 2. Aikman falls because he was great in the post-season, but was the consistent performer of the others in the regular season. You have to take both things into account.

Brady - Won 3 championships with the least talent

Montana - 4 championships with HOFs

Elway - Won 2 and with better talent could have won more

Favre - Won 1 - should have won 2

Marino - If you switch his teams with Aikmans - Troy isn't on this list

Young - Underated QB and hampered by circumstance

Aikman - A QB that IMO needed a great team to be great

Manning - Moves up the list quick when he beats the Patriots or other big game

LAUNCH
Pretty good encapsulation, :thumbup: I think Manning is the most fluid of the guys on this list. If you project him to stay healthy for another five, six years, obviously he's going to be right up there, if not higher than the other stat guys on this list [Marino, Favre], but currently has the stigma of not winning the big one attached to him. RE: Favre, his 2005 aside, the guy is the only 3-time league MVP and statistically up there among the all-time greats in virtually every category.

1. Elway

2. Montana

3. Young

4. Brady

5. Favre

6. Aikman

7. Marino

8. Manning

Politely disagree...to a point. If you are ranking QBs with similar careers (like these guys, they were ALL great)...then post season winners will get the nod everytime. Manning, Marino and Favre are probably the 2 best REGULAR season QBs of all-time...but neither comes close to matching Brady, Montana, and Elway's post-season success. Since those 3 all have been great regular season QBs as well, they rank ahead of the other 2. Aikman falls because he was great in the post-season, but was the consistent performer of the others in the regular season. You have to take both things into account.
Aikman doesn't belong on this list. It's probably too early to put Manning and Brady on it as well. Yes, Brady. Like I said, winning championships is the goal, but it takes more than 1 player. I don't think a QBs greatness should be measured by titles alone, or lack thereof.

1. Elway

2. Montana

3. Young

4. Brady

5. Favre

6. Aikman

7. Marino

8. Manning

Aikman doesn't belong on this list. It's probably too early to put Manning and Brady on it as well. Yes, Brady. Like I said, winning championships is the goal, but it takes more than 1 player. I don't think a QBs greatness should be measured by titles alone, or lack thereof.
A QB's greatness certainly isn't measured by titles alone, or lack thereof. Marino [stats but no title] and Bradshaw [titles but ??? stats] are perfect sounding boards for just such a discussion. However, QBs and coaches are and always will be held to a higher standard. They're given more credit than they deserve and more blame, so a team's playoff/SB success is critical to the history of how QBs are remembered. Whether it SHOULD be or not, that's how it is.

I know there will be some who will question putting Favre so low, but his postseason failures loom too large to put him ahead of most of those other guys on this list. He was money in the mid 90's, but since '97, he has thrown 16 touchdowns and 19 interceptions in 10 playoff games (and he has won only 2 playoff games since the Super Bowl loss to Denver 8 years ago).

1. Elway

2. Montana

3. Young

4. Brady

5. Favre

6. Aikman

7. Marino

8. Manning

A QB's greatness certainly isn't measured by titles alone, or lack thereof. Marino [stats but no title] and Bradshaw [titles but ??? stats] are perfect sounding boards for just such a discussion. However, QBs and coaches are and always will be held to a higher standard. They're given more credit than they deserve and more blame, so a team's playoff/SB success is critical to the history of how QBs are remembered. Whether it SHOULD be or not, that's how it is.
Agreed. It should also be noted that a QB DOES have more of an effect on the success of a team than any other single position. Therefore, the weight of the won-loss record on a QB is heavier than it is on a WR, RB, OT, punter, etc.

A lot can happen from now until the end of Brady's career. He's only been in the league for 6 years. What if he stinks up the joint for about 4 or 5 years? Would he be ranked with Elway, Marino, Montana, and Young? Because he's only played for 6 years, I reserve my judgement on Brady as well as Manning.

A lot can happen from now until the end of Brady's career. He's only been in the league for 6 years. What if he stinks up the joint for about 4 or 5 years? Would he be ranked with Elway, Marino, Montana, and Young? Because he's only played for 6 years, I reserve my judgement on Brady as well as Manning.
What if he plays for 6 years and wins nothing else? Add 18,000, 140 TDs to his career totals so far. Then compile those stats and add on 3 Super Bowls and 2 Super Bowl MVPs (and probably a regular season MVP this year). He could be very average for 6 years and finish with an incredible resume.

What if he plays for 6 years and wins nothing else? Add 18,000, 140 TDs to his career totals so far. Then compile those stats and add on 3 Super Bowls and 2 Super Bowl MVPs (and probably a regular season MVP this year). He could be very average for 6 years and finish with an incredible resume.
I agree. The key words "what if", and "He could". That's why I don't like to judge a player's greatness 6 years into a career.

1) Joe Montana2) John Elway3) Dan Marino4) Brett Favre5) Peyton Manning6) Tom Brady7) Steve Young8) Troy Aikman

Don't forget 3 Pro-Bowls and a passing title.

1. Montana...There is always talk today about how it takes a QB three years or more to become comfortable enough in the WCO to succeed. Joe didn't just enter the WCO as a new system to him, he was there when it was born, and he didn't just succeed, he became a legend with it. He has the numbers, he has the rings, he has the trail of those who couldn't match him in their WCO success trailing in his wake, and he has the nickname. #1. The Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, or Wayne Gretzky of football.2. Brady...Before the Patriots' first SB year, they polled every GM in the league and the Pats were voted the team farthest from competing for the title. They started that year terribly. It all turned around, instantly, the second Drew Bledsoe got knocked out. Brady took the ball and ran, leading the league's "worst" team to the SB that very year, and proving his value by doing it over and over again. The bruised liver that gave birth to a dynasty. Never before has one player so drastically changed the fortunes of a franchise.3. Elway...Rocket for an arm, leadership skills like nobody's business, and a couple rings to back it all up. Was a hell of a QB on some very good (but not great) teams, who then got the final push to the top when the running game developed into the league's best. That's all that separates him from...4. Marino...Rocket for an arm, leadership skills like nobody's business, and a whole slew of records to back it all up. Was a hell of a QB on some very good (but not great) teams, who never got that final push to the top, because the management could never provide him with a respectable rushing attack. Since I give the nod to great numbers and a couple titles over best-ever numbers and no titles, Marino slides in behind Elway.5. Favre...Rocket for an arm, and the biggest riverboat gambler to ever succeed in a big way at a position that usually crushes that trait. Got the ring despite it all, and a bunch of MVP's, too. Was able to work through his troubles early, instead of having to sit and learn behind a legend, which is pretty much all that separates him from...6. Young...Unreal athlete, got the hardware, and put up some gaudy numbers along the way. The thing holding him down is the idea that he may have been a system QB. Montana, when he left SF as an old man, still looked like a legend in KC. Young, before he got to SF, sucked rocks. It didn't hurt him that he was able to spend his peak years lobbing the ball to history's greatest WR, either. That's no knock on him, but it certainly doesn't work in his favor, either.7. Aikman...Solid athlete with good (not great) arm, great accuracy, and the underrated ability to manage a gang of thugs and misfits to a caseful of titles. Similar to Brady, except Brady gets the nod several slots higher because he did it without a HOF supporting cast. The question of whether Troy was #7 or #8 was entirely dependent on whether I decided to put rings ahead of prototypical QB prowess. I went with yes. Thus, last, we get...8. Manning...Hell of a pure passer, who doesn't yet have the longevity to rate him higher on stats alone (like Marino), or the rings to make him look good next to those showing off all the jewelry. Wake me up when he wins the big one, or after five more years of stat-compiling, whichever comes first.

I agree. The key words "what if", and "He could". That's why I don't like to judge a player's greatness 6 years into a career.
In my opinion...he's already accomplished more than the people I ranked below him did. It's very, very close (esepcially with Favre)...but I give Brady the edge.He's got 9 playoff wins. 3 Super Bowls. 2 Super Bowl MVPs. A regular season MVP (when he wins this year). That trumps Favre's 1 Super Bowl, 11 playoff wins and 3 regular season MVPs. It trumps Aikman's 3 Super Bowls. It trumps Mannings 2 regular season MVPs. And it trumps Marino's regular season accomplishments.

In my opinion...he's already accomplished more than the people I ranked below him did. It's very, very close (esepcially with Favre)...but I give Brady the edge.He's got 9 playoff wins. 3 Super Bowls. 2 Super Bowl MVPs. A regular season MVP (when he wins this year). That trumps Favre's 1 Super Bowl, 11 playoff wins and 3 regular season MVPs. It trumps Aikman's 3 Super Bowls. It trumps Mannings 2 regular season MVPs. And it trumps Marino's regular season accomplishments.
It doesn't trump anything if he wakes up one morning with the Steve Blass disease of football. Not likely to happen, and I agree that Brady will be mentioned with the all-time greats when it's all said and done, but I will wait a few more years to include him with Joe Montana, Elway, Marino, and Favre.

It's a completely fair question, but as you know, Brady could string together another five or six years of pedestrian play and his career numbers will be "good enough" that with his 3 titles, 2 SB MVPs, and [by then] half dozen Pro Bowl appearances, he'll still measure up.When you consider that, more likely, he'll continue to put up excellent stats [versus just flatlining to mediocre], it's not hard to envision Brady ranking up among the all-time greats when people discuss the QB position ten years from now.

My List:Dan MarinoJohn ElwayBrett FavreJoe MontanaTom BradyPeyton ManningSteve YoungTroy Aikman

1. Lynn Dickey2. Joe Montana3. Dan Marino4. Brett Favre5. Steve Young6. Peyton Manning7. Tom Brady8. John Elway9. Troy Aikman

I think Jim Kelly/Boomer Esiason should be on the list. Both were better than Aikman.Here's what I got...J. ElwayJ. MontanaB. FavreD. MarinoT. BradyP. ManningS. YoungT. Aikman

I can't believe the lack of love for Aikman.
Not sure how being #8 on a list like this constitutes "lack of love".All the other choices have far superior numbers or somewhat better numbers (at equivalent points in their careers) + championships.

Rank these QB's:

Joe Montana

Steve Young

Dan Marino

John Elway

Troy Aikman

Brett Favre

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

3) Dan Marino

4) John Elway

5) Brett Favre

6) Steve Young

7) Troy Aikman

8) Peyton Manning

Montana and Brady for their leadership and Super Bowl appearances/wins. Marino purely on statistics. Elway, Favre, and Young for their leadership and Super Bowl appearances/wins. Aikman's Super Bowl wins cannot be denied and why I agree he should be in a list like this. Manning should be last when in this company........for now. He hasn't even appeared in a Super Bowl yet! If/when he does, and when all is said and done, he MAY wind up in the top 4 or 5. Who knows?
If you're going to go by Super Bowls, where is Terry Bradshaw?

Rank these QB's:

Joe Montana

Steve Young

Dan Marino

John Elway

Troy Aikman

Brett Favre

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

3) Dan Marino

4) John Elway

5) Brett Favre

6) Steve Young

7) Troy Aikman

8) Peyton Manning

He played much more than 15 years ago.

1. Marino2. Elway3. Montana4. Manning5. Young6. Favre7. Brady8. Aikman

Rank these QB's:

Joe Montana

Steve Young

Dan Marino

John Elway

Troy Aikman

Brett Favre

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

3) Dan Marino

4) John Elway

5) Brett Favre

6) Steve Young

7) Troy Aikman

8) Peyton Manning

This thread is not asking people to rank the top QB's ever. It is asking to rank the QB's I selected.

I can't believe people are choosing Elway as #1 overall when his team passing records are being beaten by Jake Plummer. His Super Bowl stats? 50% completions, 3 TDs (plus one rushing), 8 INT. He made it through a pathetically weak AFC several times, and then rode a 2000-yard season by Terrell Davis and the league's #1 defense to a couple of actual Super Bowl wins. Most overrated QB of all time. (And the when he lost in the Super Bowl, the defense was top-10 in the league in 1987 and #1 in 1989. Those Denver teams would have won with most of the other QBs on this list).

I can't believe people are choosing Elway as #1 overall when his team passing records are being beaten by Jake Plummer. His Super Bowl stats? 50% completions, 3 TDs (plus one rushing), 8 INT. He made it through a pathetically weak AFC several times, and then rode a 2000-yard season by Terrell Davis and the league's #1 defense to a couple of actual Super Bowl wins. Most overrated QB of all time.

(And the when he lost in the Super Bowl, the defense was top-10 in the league in 1987 and #1 in 1989. Those Denver teams would have won with most of the other QBs on this list).
Denver did not have the number 1 defense in the NFL either season they won the Super Bowl. In fact, Denver's 'D' allowed more yards per carry (around 4.6, I think) in '97 than any Super Bowl winner had at the time. What passing records is Plummer beating?

You do realize that those teams in the 80's would not have gotten to the Super Bowl if not for Elway, right? Oh wait. Judging from your post, it is obvious you do not.

And I believe Elway has 3 rushing touchdowns in his five Super Bowl appearances, not just 1.

Lastly, Elway's stats in the 80's were hindered by playing in Dan Reeves' conservative offense. It is scary to think of the numbers he would have put up if he had played in offenses like Marino and Montana had in the 80's.

1) Steve Young - Too bad he wasted so much time earlier in his career (USFL, Tampa Bay, 2nd string behind Montana). He was the best QB I ever saw. passing, scheming, running, leadership. 2) Joe Montana - Not only were his 49er teams great, but his offense was simply unstoppable. 3) Dan Marino - You cant argue with his numbers. If he had either a Defense or a running game he would have won more than one Super Bowl. You cant blame him for that. After all, Football is a TEAM game (isnt it?)4) Peyton Manning - I put him at four now, but I fully expect him to rise all the way to #1 by the time he retires. He needs at least one Super Bowl to quiet the critics. 5) Brett Favre - A great player that always had his teams challenging for the Super Bowl. Plus, he had a three year spurt where he was the best player in the league6) Troy Aikman - Could have throw for 4000 yards a season if the scheme required. His Cowboys offenses were amongst the most dominant in history.7) John Elway - Completely overrated in my book. His two Super Bowl wins were the direct result of Terrell Davis's two historic seasons running the ball. When he was in his prime, his teams were no match for the top NFC teams. His stats are ordinary comared to most QB's ranked above him - and does anyone else remember that he was almost benched halfway through his career (for Gary Kubiak)? 8) Tom Brady - Again, football is a TEAM game. You dont simply take the QB from a great dynasty and catapult him to the top of the "best players of all time". Sure, hes a good player, but better than Marino, Favre, Montana? Come on.

1. Elway2. Montana3. Favre4. Marino5. Brady6. Young7. Manning8. AikmanUsing all of the data input here this is how the cummulative rankings average out.1. Montana - 1.842. Elway - 2.743. Marino - 3.424. Favre - 4.475. Brady - 4.846. Young - 5.217. Manning - 6.378. Aikman - 7.53edit to add: As far as Elway's numbers being average compared to the other QB's here.Career Rankings: Pass Att - 3, Completions - 3, Yards - 3, TD's - 4, Wins - 1, Rushing yards - 6

As far as Elway's numbers being average compared to the other QB's here.

Career Rankings: Pass Att - 3, Completions - 3, Yards - 3, TD's - 4, Wins - 1, Rushing yards - 6
I wasnt referring to Elways cumulative stats - if we went by career stays, Vinny Testeverde would be included in this discussion. Elway only threw for 4000 yards once in his 16 year career and never had more than 27 TD's in ANY season. In fact in his first TEN years, he only threw more than 20 TD's in a season once (22 in 1985). Combined that with the fact that Elway won his only 2 SB's at the end of his career (when Terrell Davis was setting all kinds of records) makes me believe that he is vastly overrated. JMOElways numbers by season

Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |

+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

| 1983 den | 11 | 123 259 47.5 1663 6.4 7 14 | 28 146 1 |

| 1984 den | 15 | 214 380 56.3 2598 6.8 18 15 | 56 237 1 |

| 1985 den | 16 | 327 605 54.0 3891 6.4 22 23 | 51 253 0 |

| 1986 den | 16 | 280 504 55.6 3485 6.9 19 13 | 52 257 1 |

| 1987 den | 12 | 224 410 54.6 3198 7.8 19 12 | 66 304 4 |

| 1988 den | 15 | 274 496 55.2 3309 6.7 17 19 | 54 234 1 |

| 1989 den | 15 | 223 416 53.6 3051 7.3 18 18 | 48 244 3 |

| 1990 den | 16 | 294 502 58.6 3526 7.0 15 14 | 50 258 3 |

| 1991 den | 16 | 242 451 53.7 3253 7.2 13 12 | 55 255 6 |

| 1992 den | 12 | 174 316 55.1 2242 7.1 10 17 | 34 94 2 |

| 1993 den | 16 | 348 551 63.2 4030 7.3 25 10 | 44 153 0 |

| 1994 den | 14 | 307 494 62.1 3490 7.1 16 10 | 58 235 4 |

| 1995 den | 16 | 316 542 58.3 3970 7.3 26 14 | 41 176 1 |

| 1996 den | 15 | 287 466 61.6 3328 7.1 26 14 | 50 249 4 |

| 1997 den | 16 | 280 502 55.8 3635 7.2 27 11 | 50 218 1 |

| 1998 den | 13 | 210 356 59.0 2806 7.9 22 10 | 37 94 1

2) Joe Montana - Not only were his 49er teams great, but his offense was simply unstoppable.

8) Tom Brady - Again, football is a TEAM game. You dont simply take the QB from a great dynasty and catapult him to the top of the "best players of all time". Sure, hes a good player, but better than Marino, Favre, Montana? Come on.
Over their first 5 seasons as starters, Brady's numbers are VERY similar to Montana's. And he's got one extra ring.Not saying that he'll continue on that track, but it bears noting...

Elway only threw for 4000 yards once in his 16 year career and never had more than 27 TD's in ANY season.
Elway had 28 total TDs the year he only threw for 27, and he had 30 total TDs the year before.Tom Brady has only surpassed 4000 yards once and he's never had more than 29 total TDs in a season.

As far as Elway's numbers being average compared to the other QB's here.

Career Rankings:  Pass Att - 3, Completions - 3, Yards - 3, TD's - 4, Wins - 1, Rushing yards - 6
I wasnt referring to Elways cumulative stats - if we went by career stays, Vinny Testeverde would be included in this discussion. Elway only threw for 4000 yards once in his 16 year career and never had more than 27 TD's in ANY season. In fact in his first TEN years, he only threw more than 20 TD's in a season once (22 in 1985). Combined that with the fact that Elway won his only 2 SB's at the end of his career (when Terrell Davis was setting all kinds of records) makes me believe that he is vastly overrated. JMOElways numbers by season

Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |

+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

| 1983 den | 11 | 123 259 47.5 1663 6.4 7 14 | 28 146 1 |

| 1984 den | 15 | 214 380 56.3 2598 6.8 18 15 | 56 237 1 |

| 1985 den | 16 | 327 605 54.0 3891 6.4 22 23 | 51 253 0 |

| 1986 den | 16 | 280 504 55.6 3485 6.9 19 13 | 52 257 1 |

| 1987 den | 12 | 224 410 54.6 3198 7.8 19 12 | 66 304 4 |

| 1988 den | 15 | 274 496 55.2 3309 6.7 17 19 | 54 234 1 |

| 1989 den | 15 | 223 416 53.6 3051 7.3 18 18 | 48 244 3 |

| 1990 den | 16 | 294 502 58.6 3526 7.0 15 14 | 50 258 3 |

| 1991 den | 16 | 242 451 53.7 3253 7.2 13 12 | 55 255 6 |

| 1992 den | 12 | 174 316 55.1 2242 7.1 10 17 | 34 94 2 |

| 1993 den | 16 | 348 551 63.2 4030 7.3 25 10 | 44 153 0 |

| 1994 den | 14 | 307 494 62.1 3490 7.1 16 10 | 58 235 4 |

| 1995 den | 16 | 316 542 58.3 3970 7.3 26 14 | 41 176 1 |

| 1996 den | 15 | 287 466 61.6 3328 7.1 26 14 | 50 249 4 |

| 1997 den | 16 | 280 502 55.8 3635 7.2 27 11 | 50 218 1 |

| 1998 den | 13 | 210 356 59.0 2806 7.9 22 10 | 37 94 1
Among the league's all-time top 50Pass attempts: 3

Completions: 3

Passing yards: 3

Passing TDs: 4

:coffee:

Plain and simple, being overrated doesn't put you in these categories.

Users who are viewing this thread