What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ranking Led Zeppelin Songs - Request To Participate (1 Viewer)

dickey moe said:
Also... anyone, and I mean ANYONE, pm me if you have Carouselambra on your list. 
Was one of my last 5 cuts......I love that tune. Was tough to leave off.

Surprised that Traveling Riverside Blues and/or Hey, Hey What Can I Do? aren't making the cuts on some lists out there. They're two of my favorites. 

There may be some nostalgia here, despite the tunes being outstanding on their own. I knew the entire catalog (except Coda; only album I never bought) well by the time they were released in the box set. I had never heard TRB, but the radio played HHWCID here and there as it was the B Side on a 45 with Immigrant Song. Never snagged a tape recording, so the CD box set was a game changer.

Surprised that Traveling Riverside Blues and/or Hey, Hey What Can I Do? aren't making the cuts on some lists out there. They're two of my favorites. 

There may be some nostalgia here, despite the tunes being outstanding on their own. I knew the entire catalog (except Coda; only album I never bought) well by the time they were released in the box set. I had never heard TRB, but the radio played HHWCID here and there as it was the B Side on a 45 with Immigrant Song. Never snagged a tape recording, so the CD box set was a game changer.
Both in my top 12. 

I noticed that I haven't received any lists in quite a while. So those that promised them need to get cracking. And those that haven't thought about it until now, please do.

Desperately wanted to include TRB but I made a commitment to include at least one song off of each of their albums and my list was already up to 25, so that song was the odd man out. Maybe I'll reconsider.

TRB was also one of my last cuts. I like Hey Hey and think it should have been on III instead of that Roy Harper foolishness, but their catalog is so strong that many others outrank it for me. 

Anarchy99 said:
I noticed that I haven't received any lists in quite a while. So those that promised them need to get cracking. And those that haven't thought about it until now, please do.
I'm working on mine. I'm on my second time through and realized that this is gonna be tougher than I thought. I have my list down to 28 or 29 but placing them in order is where my struggle is. I have #1 locked in and has been for decades but I'm a little stuck after that. I will definitely get it in before Christmas. 

I'm working on mine. I'm on my second time through and realized that this is gonna be tougher than I thought. I have my list down to 28 or 29 but placing them in order is where my struggle is. I have #1 locked in and has been for decades but I'm a little stuck after that. I will definitely get it in before Christmas. 
Get your list over when you can. Not sure which is better or worse . . . people that sent in their lists and have revised them a couple of times . . . or the ones that haven't come in yet and may never get submitted.

I've done the ranking thing before, and I can 100% attest that my rankings would be different pretty much one day to the next. I just looked at it as a snapshot in time as to where my head was at when I ranked the songs. I've already had folks get back to me and some have swapped out songs in their Top 10-15 for songs they left out entirely and a couple pretty much redid their lists altogether. This is not meant to be a high stress, complex, brain taxing exercise. But if people want to research, analyze, and ponder a lot, feel free.

Get your list over when you can. Not sure which is better or worse . . . people that sent in their lists and have revised them a couple of times . . . or the ones that haven't come in yet and may never get submitted.

I've done the ranking thing before, and I can 100% attest that my rankings would be different pretty much one day to the next. I just looked at it as a snapshot in time as to where my head was at when I ranked the songs. I've already had folks get back to me and some have swapped out songs in their Top 10-15 for songs they left out entirely and a couple pretty much redid their lists altogether. This is not meant to be a high stress, complex, brain taxing exercise. But if people want to research, analyze, and ponder a lot, feel free.
That's why I haven't redone mine. Even though there's a song I underrated significantly and should be in my top 10 and not near 25, I'm leaving what I sent as is.

Cool thing is, I'm now a week into listening to them almost non stop and still not tired of them. They are just so, so good.

Anarchy99 said:
On Christmas break starting next Wednesday when I'll actually have time. 

Here you go.  Some of the rankings are pretty random.  Take them all as plus or minus 5.  And there are probably lots left off...

1.       Communication Breakdown

2.       Over the Hills and Far Away

3.       Black Dog

4.       Whole Lotta Love (the 20 seconds starting at 3:03 may be the best Rock Ever.)

5.       Good Times Bad Times

6.       Misty Mountain Hop

7.       Heartbreaker

8.       Hey, Hey What Can I Do

9.       Rock and Roll

10.   Ramble On

11.   Misty Mountain Hop

12.   Gallows Pole

13.   You Shook Me

14.   Dazed and Confused

15.   Bring it on Home

16.   Fool in the Rain ( I know it’s pop, but it connected with me)

17.   When the Levee Breaks

18.   Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp

19.   Living Loving Maid

20.   Immigrant Song

21.   Your Time is Gonna Come

22.   D’Yer Mak’er

23.   The Ocean

24.   Gong to California

25.   In the Evening

Here you go.  Some of the rankings are pretty random.  Take them all as plus or minus 5.  And there are probably lots left off...

3.       Black Dog

4.       Whole Lotta Love (the 20 seconds starting at 3:03 may be the best Rock Ever.)

7.       Heartbreaker

9.       Rock and Roll

10.   Ramble On

11.   Misty Mountain Hop

12.   Gallows Pole

13.   You Shook Me

14.   Dazed and Confused

15.   Bring it on Home

18.   Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp

19.   Living Loving Maid

20.   Immigrant Song

22.   D’Yer Mak’er

23.   The Ocean

24.   Gong to California

25.   In the Evening
No one was supposed to post their lists yet. And since I didn’t originally specify, Heartbreaker and Living Loving Maid count as one song. So few free to add another song. 

Anarchy - my list is WIP but definitely won’t have it for a little while still.
Yeah I started by just throwing on albums when I was working or working out. I am making progress, narrowing down and finding some surprises. 

Does anyone have a song they considered very underrated that I should pay extra special attention to? 

No one was supposed to post their lists yet. And since I didn’t originally specify, Heartbreaker and Living Loving Maid count as one song. So few free to add another song. 
Sorry.  Trying to rush in my list before the deadline.  Didn't read the rules.  Invited late to the game.  Feel free to disregard my list!  

Hey Hey What I Can Do is an awesome song, and my list would have felt wrong without it.  That is the only song from Coda that made my list. 

And I will fess up: Carouselambra made my list (at 22).  The last five or so are pretty interchangeable with five-10 more, but it was a judgment call when I spitballed my list.  And I stand by it. 

Hey Hey What I Can Do is an awesome song, and my list would have felt wrong without it.  That is the only song from Coda that made my list. 

And I will fess up: Carouselambra made my list (at 22).  The last five or so are pretty interchangeable with five-10 more, but it was a judgment call when I spitballed my list.  And I stand by it. 
Not sure I'll ever consider Hey Hey What Can I Do as a Coda tune. 

Nice pun. There really isn't one set in stone. But if everyone is going to just wait to the deadline, then I might as well make the deadline sooner rather than later. But to answer the question, probably the week after New Year's.

Don't know if I can wait that long.

It wasn’t initially, but they added it in 2008. 
Pretty sure 1993 CD-version actually. 2008 was a remix release I think.

That kind of stuff sometimes feels like a marketing ploy. I'm not a fan, but I'm a bit of a purist.

Coda seems to have been maybe the best way to satisfy a contract requirement post-Bonham.

A bit more on Coda as I poke around the innerwebs...

I never liked the album cover. Hate it actually. But the firm that did it - Hipgnosis - was responsible for several amazing album covers through the 1970s, including many of Pink Floyd's. Particularly Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. 

A spinoff discussion could be Zeppelin's best album cover. Not sure, but I might be partial to II since it's the first album I owned and I love the cover graphic.

Great pick. One I was late to catch on to that’s also great is Tangerine. Just so many to pick from though. 

Anarchy, I promise to get mine done in the next few days, I pretty much know most of what’s on it I just need to reorder it.

I feel like my list is heavily influenced by which CDs I had as a kid.  I know every note of the songs on II, IV and Houses of the Holy.  I must’ve listened to those hundreds of times before I knew the other stuff.  Those three albums are very highly represented in my top 15 songs.

3.       Black Dog

7.       Heartbreaker

9.       Rock and Roll

10.   Ramble On

11.   Misty Mountain Hop

12.   Gallows Pole

13.   You Shook Me

14.   Dazed and Confused

15.   Bring it on Home

18.   Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp

19.   Living Loving Maid

20.   Immigrant Song

22.   D’Yer Mak’er

23.   The Ocean

24.   Gong to California

25.   In the Evening
Not a bad list at all but I think about 11 or so of those won't make my list. I can't wait to see the final results and compare my list to the master list. 

With the extra time, you should check out this song called Stairway to Heaven that they do. Might make your list.
LoL.

Not likely.  After it being the last song at every High School dance* and all of the overplay on the radio, I just burned out with Stairway to Heaven many, many years ago.  Oh, on it's own merits, it is a great song, and I would never change the radio station when it comes on, but I have just heard it too many times.  It also might be because it is the only Led Zeppelin song so many people have heard of - which rankles.  So, I guess that I am too biased against it to put it on my list.  But I would never argue that somebody should leave it off of theirs and I recognize the illogic of leaving it off of mine.

Hmm.  Maybe I should replace one of the Misty Mountain Hops with it. ;)

*Hell, I remember in 1974, in my first semester as a freshman in HS getting up the nerve to ask a junior to dance to it.  It was my first slow dance.  I think my whole body was tingling,   So, yeah, good memory!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pick. One I was late to catch on to that’s also great is Tangerine. Just so many to pick from though. 
III didn't grab me at first when I first got into LZ, and is still has for me a few throwaway songs, but it has a handful of just killer songs. 

On Christmas break starting next Wednesday when I'll actually have time. 
Timeline is different, but this is when I intend to put mine together. 12-30 is just a massive pile right now and some in there may actually jump those ranked 7-11. Work mayhem should fall off a cliff Tuesday. SHOULD.

Users who are viewing this thread