What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rate how each team did filling their Head Coach vacancy (2 Viewers)

Washington=7, Dan Quinn isn't a bad hire, but certainly reeks of 3rd choice. Washington doesn't have a ton of defensive talent to work with, but Quinn has been an excellent DC. His Falcons teams fell off a cliff after making the Super Bowl in his 2nd year there. OC hire will be extremely important here. I think this is on par with the Raheem Morris hire. Quinn earned a 2nd chance, but we'll see what he learned from it.
Pretty much agree with everything you are saying here and in fact was prepared to say a lot of the same things but it's just redundant now.

The only thing I might see different is that I'm not huge on Quinn as DC, not down, just see him as more what I'd call fine/good, but I'm not able to label him excellent but not trying to split hairs. His strengths are being a good positive leader and motivator and I think he might actually be a better HC then DC, but assume he'll be both with Washington.

The very highly regarded Joe Whitt, Jr will be following him as DC. That’s a huge get.

I’m at a 7 on Quinn right now, which could go up or down depending on who the OC is. The two names I’ve heard are Chip Kelly and Klint Kubiak and my views on the two could not be further apart. I want absolutely nothing to do with Kelly and it would swing the hire down to a 5 for me. Kubiak is a wildcard but sign me up for anybody from SF that Peters endorses.

If it’s KK, I will think we did the best we could in this cycle. The caviat being I was a Ben Johnson guy all along but think he was revealed to never being a viable, ready candidate. The only question about him was could he lead the room. Some guys are just great number 2s and not cut out to be 1s and there’s nothing at all wrong with that, but this process has me feeling like he’s a 2 and will always be better suited to be a 2. That doesn’t usually change for people. So in light of the new information I consider that a bullet dodged and am not playing the what if game. He’s ruled himself out in my book moving forward and that won’t change until he proves otherwise. Until then he’s just an ultra talented OC in my book. HC is so much more than that.

My only regret is that there weren’t better offensive minded candidates in the cycle. Everything I just said about Johnson applies to Slowik x 2. I’d much rather have hired an OC than a DC but I’m sure not losing any sleep over Canales and Harbaugh (same with Vrabel and Belichick) didn’t fit with Peters…so you can’t force it and gotta take who you feel is the best guy that fits.

All things considered I think they conducted a professional, measured search and did the best they could in the cycle they found themself. They absorbed a huge surprise, didn’t panic, and hired a guy they were hotly connected to from the start.

With Johnson and Slowik staying put I’ll increase the Callahan hire a bit. I’d still have preferred to keep Vrabel another season and possibly hire Slowik next year if needed.

Now I’m seeing Whitt is not a done deal (as was previously reported) and Dallas is fighting to keep him. Working against them however is a potential staff shake up after 2024. I bet he comes to Washington but still uncertain.

Man it’d be sweet the kick the legs out from under the Dallas D. They are melting down on their message board. Oh, and the best part? They are interviewing Ron Rivera for DC next week 🤣🤣🤣🤡🤡🤡

Last edited:
Washington=7, Dan Quinn isn't a bad hire, but certainly reeks of 3rd choice. Washington doesn't have a ton of defensive talent to work with, but Quinn has been an excellent DC. His Falcons teams fell off a cliff after making the Super Bowl in his 2nd year there. OC hire will be extremely important here. I think this is on par with the Raheem Morris hire. Quinn earned a 2nd chance, but we'll see what he learned from it.
I read early today from a beat reporter that Washington's top 3 head coach choices were
Jim Harbaugh
Ben Johnson
Dan Quinn

It's hard to get a bead on how much true information Washington beat reporters are getting from the new front office, and how much national writers are getting. So I don't know how to value what reports yet. But that report was from a source I didn't immediately dismiss as guesswork. And if I could remember the source I'd link it here, but alas................

I'm not loving what the Patriots are doing so far. Promoted Jerod Mayo to HC . . . who never called a play on offense or defense. Promoted Demarcus Covington to DC . . . who never called a play on defense. No one is interested in the OC position, and the people they are talking to are people who, you guessed it, have never called a play on offense. The big gripe of BB in recent years was his lackluster performance as a GM . . . and they currently have no plans to bring in a GM or promote someone internally. So right now, they don't have a very talented team, they have an inexperienced coaching staff they are having trouble filling, and there's no one really calling the shots in the front office. Can't say that the post-Bill era is off to a very good start.
Summarizing, they added nothing and took the player caller away and replaced him with zero experience.

Perhaps they got what they deserved.

Users who are viewing this thread