What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ravens not expected to retain RB McGahee (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Willis McGahee is unlikely to be back in Baltimore unless he takes a "drastic" pay cut, according to the Carroll County Times.

McGahee has a $6 million salary, part of three years and $19.7M left on his massive contract. The Ravens are likely to move on from their backup running back after McGahee averaged just 6.6 carries per game in 2010. With Le'Ron McClain also a free agent, Ray Rice has a chance to emerge as the goal-line back in 2011. Baltimore will likely also add talent to the position. Jan. 17 - 9:22 am et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines...L&hl=198918

As a Rice owner I can't say that I'm sad :confused: even if McGahee only carried the ball 6 or 7 times a game. Those GL vultures were murder. That of course doesn't mean Rice gets the GL carries in 2011, but he could I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
McGahee's not going to start for any team, nor get starter money. He could have value as a RB4-5 if he gets GL work somewhere.

Maybe he could go to a team with a very strong O-line & carve out 1 last real good season like LT2 with the Jets. Maybe Miami?

I think McGahee still has some gas in the tank. I think he'll get his chance to start somewhere else in 2011.
Like to see the Lions add Willis as a power RB for a year or two and use Best as the third down RB. Best gets blown up between the tackles.

I thought they said the same thing last off season. He could always rework his deal to stick around or get released and re-sign for less money.

I think McGahee still has some gas in the tank. I think he'll get his chance to start somewhere else in 2011.
He has a ton of gas in the tank. I know he had some devasting injuries, but look at his carries versus a guy like Edge James.Going into 2011, McGahee will have 1700 touches in his career at age 30.Going into 2004 Edge had 1755 touches at age 26. Edge went on to have two Pro-Bowl years after that, plus two additional 1000 yard rushing seasons.I am not comparing abilities of one to the other, just trying to demonstrate how McGahee has not gotten a heavy load throughout his career and could easily have a rennaissance like Thomas Jones from ages 30-33.

Report: Ravens to release RB Willis McGahee The Baltimore Sun reports that the Ravens have decided to release Willis McGahee.

The decision was reportedly made at the Ravens' recent personnel evaluation meetings. McGahee, entering his age-30 season, is due a $6 million salary in 2011, and the remaining years on his contract are optional. The move is expected sometime after the owners and players finalize a new CBA. The Sun's Mike Preston suggests that the Ravens could re-sign McGahee for less money after cutting him, but he's likely to pursue the best contract possible. Source: Baltimore Sun Feb 21, 4:24

<!--quoteo(post=12824402:date=Jan 17 2011, 04:20 PM:name=Godsbrother)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Godsbrother @ Jan 17 2011, 04:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=12824402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think McGahee still has some gas in the tank. I think he'll get his chance to start somewhere else in 2011.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Like to see the Lions add Willis as a power RB for a year or two and use Best as the third down RB. Best gets blown up between the tackles.
:goodposting: Was thinking the same thing, he's exactly what the Lions need to add to the backfield this offseason.

<!--quoteo(post=12824414:date=Jan 17 2011, 03:24 PM:name=anakin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (anakin @ Jan 17 2011, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=12824414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LeRon McClain isn't due back either. There could be lots of changes for Baltimore RBs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->i'm interested in mcclain actually. he could present another hillis type player for a team and at a bargain price.
I agree.
<!--quoteo(post=12824402:date=Jan 17 2011, 04:20 PM:name=Godsbrother)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Godsbrother @ Jan 17 2011, 04:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=12824402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think McGahee still has some gas in the tank. I think he'll get his chance to start somewhere else in 2011.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->He has a ton of gas in the tank. I know he had some devasting injuries, but look at his carries versus a guy like Edge James.Going into 2011, McGahee will have 1700 touches in his career at age 30.Going into 2004 Edge had 1755 touches at age 26. Edge went on to have two Pro-Bowl years after that, plus two additional 1000 yard rushing seasons.I am not comparing abilities of one to the other, just trying to demonstrate how McGahee has not gotten a heavy load throughout his career and could easily have a rennaissance like Thomas Jones from ages 30-33.
But being 26 had more to do with that than the carries I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
So homers... what does this mean for Jalen Parmalee?
It seems like the Raven staff has been high on Parmalee and I would think there is a reason that they hung onto to him for a few years. I picked him up at the end of last year thinking he will be the back up / handcuff to Rice in 2011??

<!--quoteo(post=12824414:date=Jan 17 2011, 03:24 PM:name=anakin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (anakin @ Jan 17 2011, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=12824414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LeRon McClain isn't due back either. There could be lots of changes for Baltimore RBs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->i'm interested in mcclain actually. he could present another hillis type player for a team and at a bargain price.
I'm thinking more of a Tolbert role for McClain. For a big man, he can still put the tap shoes on, catch in the flats and handle GL and SY runs (where we know they are comfortable not going to Rice). Tolbert.

Users who are viewing this thread