What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ray Lewis in 2006 (1 Viewer)

Islander

Footballguy
Ray Lewis was performing at the level of about LB20 prior to his injury. Was he playing injured? Can we expect him to return to top 10 next year, top 5? Or is he pretty much done? I was surprised to see him as high as LB9 in the dynasty poll by Tick. If you guys rank him LB9 for dynasty, I am assuming you would put him top 5 for redraft? That sounds high to me.Please enlighten me!

:blackdot: I will be able to keep him at a very low salary next year since he missed so much time this year. But if I'm very tight with the cap, I may just let him go...

I still believe in Ray Ray. Players do have down years on occasion.I doubt you'll find another player who has 100+ solo tackles in 7 of the past 9 seasons.His slow start doesn't tell me much of anything. London Fletcher only had 32 solo tackles in the first 8 games of the year but he still finished with 104 (2nd best total of his career).

Last edited by a moderator:
I still believe in Ray Ray. Players do have down years on occasion.

I doubt you'll find another player who has 100+ solo tackles in 7 of the past 9 seasons.

His slow start doesn't tell me much of anything. London Fletcher only had 32 solo tackles in the first 8 games of the year but he still finished with 104 (2nd best total of his career).
I doubt Fletcher would have done it if Spikes did not get injured.My main concern with Lewis is that he did not perform at a top level in 2004 either. I was expecting an increase in stats in 2005 due to the change in defensive scheme, but it did not happen. So 2 "down" seasons in a row. Not getting younger... Don't get me wrong, I still think he is able to get 100 tackles, but I am wondering if he's still a top 5 LB. I don't think he'll my top 5 list next year. What about you?

I doubt you'll find another player who has 100+ solo tackles in 7 of the past 9 seasons.

His slow start doesn't tell me much of anything. London Fletcher only had 32 solo tackles in the first 8 games of the year but he still finished with 104 (2nd best total of his career).
I doubt Fletcher would have done it if Spikes did not get injured.My main concern with Lewis is that he did not perform at a top level in 2004 either. I was expecting an increase in stats in 2005 due to the change in defensive scheme, but it did not happen. So 2 "down" seasons in a row. Not getting younger... Don't get me wrong, I still think he is able to get 100 tackles, but I am wondering if he's still a top 5 LB. I don't think he'll my top 5 list next year. What about you?
Well the same kind of things were said about Zack and he continues to play strong and a healthy Lewis will be top 5.

:thumbup: thanks for the thread guys. I'm considering trading Ray and almost offered him up for just a #20-30 DE and a decent TE. (Alex Brown and Eric Johnson FWIW), I like Ray to rebound and am glad to see at least some others agree. (My LB corps is Vilma, Ray, Spikes, Morgan, B Simmons and Greenwood - start 4).SO what is fair value for him in a dynasty league?

I'd float his name out there, but I'd expect his value to increase more early next year once he's back healthy. Sicne you're looking at gettign a TE, maybe you could get a Gonzo for him - value down, but strong performer at the position.

I'd float his name out there, but I'd expect his value to increase more early next year once he's back healthy. Sicne you're looking at gettign a TE, maybe you could get a Gonzo for him - value down, but strong performer at the position.
I'd take Gonzo in a heart beat for him, but I'd be hesitant to ask as I see Gonzo as a 3rd round or so pick, while Ray isn't near that high. Maybe I'm way off though. :unsure:

Gonzo has slipped this year, and there's a lot to dislike on the surface about the changes going on in KC.I think you'll see Lewis value bounce back strong in preseason, while Gonzo will stay as low as it is now. They might get near enough to each other.

Let me be the voice of dissention.I think Ray Lewis is hitting the wall. In Derrick Brooks style his numbers will sort of linger but degrade - he might still have a fluke year with 700 FF and TDs, when would be anyone's guess.Big question is how big will his contract be...

Let me be the voice of dissention.

I think Ray Lewis is hitting the wall. In Derrick Brooks style his numbers will sort of linger but degrade - he might still have a fluke year with 700 FF and TDs, when would be anyone's guess.

Big question is how big will his contract be...
I actually agree that he's going to slip, but his value is terrible right now. Simply getting healthy will help. I thought that the 46 might hurt his value last year, and hurt Baltimore's run of defensive excellence. That team got so injured, is tough to knwo what to expect from them next year.

Not to threadjack, but what can you expect out of Tommy Polley moving forward? He filled in well, exceedingly well in fantasy terms, during Ray-Ray's absence. How much playing time was he getting prior to playing Lewis's spot? I'm not even sure if he was starting prior to the injury. Could Polley post decent stats as a WLB next to Lewis? Regardless, what do the Ravens do? IIRC he's a free agent too so all this may be for naught.

Well the same kind of things were said about Zack and he continues to play strong and a healthy Lewis will be top 5.
I don't think Zach had two "off years" (by their standards) as R Lewis just had. Zach has always performed at a high level and people predicted him to drop out. This is different with Lewis. He has already dropped out of the elite. The question is whether he can return to top 5.

If Lewis had been doing well prior to his injury in 2005, I might say yes. But he was not doing very well. So I am wondering if he won't be overvalued come August.

Lewis will be 31 next year. Not necessarily too old, because D.Edwards and Zack were 32 this year. However, he is at the point where there is some physical decline.I think top 5 is too high. Maybe 5-10, but more likely 10-15. Which means 90-100 solos, 30 or so assists, 1 sack, 1 ff, and 5 PD.

Users who are viewing this thread