What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ray Rice Bandwagon Thread (1 Viewer)

I've been a Ray Rice fan for a long time. I'm a Rutgers Season Ticket holder.

However I didn't catch the first preseason game with the Ravens. How is his burst at the LOS through the line? That was always his problem in college, that and he got shoelace tackled a lot.

I've been a Ray Rice fan for a long time. I'm a Rutgers Season Ticket holder.However I didn't catch the first preseason game with the Ravens. How is his burst at the LOS through the line? That was always his problem in college, that and he got shoelace tackled a lot.
I like Rice, but he looked so-so vs. the Pats. Hit behind the line a few times. Though their DL played well, so think it had less to do with Rice.

From the Balt Sun Aug 9th...Three things I didn't like:

•The Ravens didn't establish a running game. Rookie Ray Rice had two chances for long runs but failed to hit the holes. The offensive linemen need to hold their blocks longer.

Anyone who didn't (or still doesn't) believe in this kid, watch the first quarter of Bal/Min highlights.

The #1 run defense and he sliced it up for a 30+ yd run and another for a goal line score.

Anyone who didn't (or still doesn't) believe in this kid, watch the first quarter of Bal/Min highlights.The #1 run defense and he sliced it up for a 30+ yd run and another for a goal line score.
He looks much more relaxed this week. He sure doesn't need much of a hole - if there's a flash of daylight, he shimmies through.

I can't wait to snag McGahee as my number 2 RB in all of my upcoming drafts. Late 3rd, early 4th round? Hell I've seen him drop even farther than that. Insane. Like someone said earlier...this situation reminds me a hell of a lot to Clinton Portis' last year and look how that turned out. McGahee will be ready for week 1 and will be the steal of every draft. Hope everyone keeps drinking that Ray Rice kool-aid, he won't be anything but a change of pace guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who didn't (or still doesn't) believe in this kid, watch the first quarter of Bal/Min highlights.The #1 run defense and he sliced it up for a 30+ yd run and another for a goal line score.
He looks much more relaxed this week. He sure doesn't need much of a hole - if there's a flash of daylight, he shimmies through.
In watching Ray for the last 3 years (RU season ticket holder), this is what always stood out. You think the play is going nowhere, and all of a sudden Rice is coming out through the back of the line for a 9 or 10 yd. gain. I haven't seen today's game, but from some comments on another board, it sounds like Rice has been more patient in his running this week, waiting for his blocks and finding holes. Sounds like he might have been more comfortable this week.

I can't wait to snag McGahee as my number 2 RB in all of my upcoming drafts. Late 3rd, early 4th round? Hell I've seen him drop even farther than that. Insane. Like someone said earlier...this situation reminds me a hell of a lot to Clinton Portis' last year and look how that turned out. McGahee will be ready for week 1 and will be the steal of every draft. Hope everyone keeps drinking that Ray Rice kool-aid, he won't be anything but a change of pace guy.
:unsure: - shhhhhhh! Lots of RU fans at my draft!

Tom Baker said:
Nemesis Enforcer said:
Anyone have a rookie draft in a dynasty league recently? Curious as to what his ADP has risen to with these preseason games.
Ten team league. He went at 1.10. I'm starting to think that was a steal.
It was. He shouldn't be lower than 6th.What was the Top 9???

Tom Baker said:
Nemesis Enforcer said:
Anyone have a rookie draft in a dynasty league recently? Curious as to what his ADP has risen to with these preseason games.
1.01 - Darren McFadden1.02 - Jonathan Stewart1.03 - Rashard Mendenhall1.04 - Matt Forte1.05 - Matt Ryan1.06 - Kevin Smith1.07 - Felix Jones1.08 - Chris Johnson1.09 - Jamaal Charles

Tom Baker said:
Nemesis Enforcer said:
1.01 - Darren McFadden1.02 - Jonathan Stewart1.03 - Rashard Mendenhall1.04 - Matt Forte1.05 - Matt Ryan1.06 - Kevin Smith1.07 - Felix Jones1.08 - Chris Johnson1.09 - Jamaal Charles
That 1.09 pick will be kicking themselves for a long time.

UzMyBytch said:
From what I'm reading, Ray Rice fits the Harbaugh system better than McGahee and will push him out of Baltimore within 2 years. I can see that happening in 1.

Tom Baker said:
Nemesis Enforcer said:
Had a rookie draft last week, he went 1.8.

Uruk-Hai said:
Jeff Pasquino said:
I've helped myself to a double shot of the McGahee/Rice handcuff kool-aid. Its pretty damn tasty.ETA: wrong guy quoted. Meant to quote UzMyBytch. Can't blame me for being hammered on the McGahee/Rice happy juice.

UzMyBytch said:
All things being equal, I don't think there's a ton of doubt that McGahee would be the more productive back this season. However, things aren't equal right now. Besides the injury itself McGahee has missed most of the reps in a new offense. I know in general RBs are the easiest to just plug in, but at some point McGahee's going to be playing catch up (I think he's already past that point) & the longer he's out the longer it's gonna take.I agree that he represents crazy value in the 3rd or 4th - if he's going to be ready to play at a high level relatively soon. This situation is different to me than Portis' last year. Portis already knew the coaches & the personnel was relatively stable, plus he didn't get his knee scoped.

UzMyBytch said:
I don't think many in this thread are touting Ray Rice in 2008. I think we are all just excited about his talent and his future prospects. He looks awesome, and is going to be an every down back, as soon as 2009. Yet people are still passing on him in dynasty rookie drafts for players like Forte and Kevin Smith, all because they have a better opportunity. Talent always wins out in the NFL. While Forte and Smith might contribute more in 2008, Rice is the guy to get for 2009 and beyond.

I think he is un-special. Buried behind a franchise back for the forseeable future. Like him as a handcuff to McGahee, but not much more.
I think you probably have never seen Rice play.From the Ravens message board:

"The two most impressive performances during the AM session on Saturday were those of Ray Rice and Derrick Martin. During what is sometimes described as the 4 minute drill (one that assumes the offense has a comfortable lead and their job is simply to kill the clock) Ray Rice regularly made positive yardage despite the entire defense committed to stopping the run. Tom Zbikowski knifed through regularly during the drill as a run blitzing linebacker. He was more comfortable with the assignment as practice continued. Initially he showed some hesitancy.

But back to Rice, he makes the most of limited real estate and has a knack for getting small and moving forward. On one play during the 4 minute drill, Rice converted a third and 4 with a 6 yard run between Ben Grubbs and Jason Brown. Besides his success during this drill, Rice demonstrates solid open field awareness on screens, is sure-handed and follows his blockers well. He’s an obvious student of the game judging from his sound fundamentals."

I understand the skepticism re: Rice taking carries away from an established starter like McGahee, and I understand the statements from Cameron, and his history with LT and Ronnie Brown in developing 3 down backs. But Rice will force the Ravens to use him, just like he forced his way onto the field at Rutgers. Although it seems too easy a comparison to make, Rice has the potential to be the second coming of MJD. Maybe he won't be a fantasy starter, but he and McGahee can be a devastating 1-2 punch if they get anything out of the QB position.
Are we comfortable with the Raven's offensive line?

when i saw his TD against MIN, he reminded me in terms of his low slung build, power, contact balance, the way he moved, quickness and elusiveness of brian westbrook... i think his listed weight is smaller, but he looked put together similarly...

UzMyBytch said:
Wow is all I can say about that one. Like Frank Gore before him (Cadyy, Brown, Benson all taken before Gore in FFL drafts), he will outperform all the other RB's in this class over time barring injury.

UzMyBytch said:
Wow is all I can say about that one. Like Frank Gore before him (Cadyy, Brown, Benson all taken before Gore in FFL drafts), he will outperform all the other RB's in this class over time barring injury.
I believe anything coming from the mouth of Old Man River. Lol.

SOmebody please let the Ravens staff know they are overworking Ray Rice whne you consider the vast amounts of carries at practice. Give him a 6 day break with just light running and no contact.

The dude needs to be ready for week 1 and to last.

:thumbup:

I took him a little too early, but from what I've seen I think he's got HUGE potential this season.

This topic reminds me a lot of the Brian Leonard topic last year in the pre-season. Rice may pan out but he may also be benefitting from playing preseason games. He's looked good but everyone needs to remember it's just pre-season.

Last year there were lots of people claiming that Leonard was going to take SJAX's job and he would sign. cut into his carries, look how that turned out. All we can do is wait and see, but I'm not going to jump on this bandwagon just yet as I think that McGahee has far more talent and is only coming off of a minor procedure and will eventually regain his starter status once he's healthy.

This topic reminds me a lot of the Brian Leonard topic last year in the pre-season. Rice may pan out but he may also be benefitting from playing preseason games. He's looked good but everyone needs to remember it's just pre-season. Last year there were lots of people claiming that Leonard was going to take SJAX's job and he would sign. cut into his carries, look how that turned out. All we can do is wait and see, but I'm not going to jump on this bandwagon just yet as I think that McGahee has far more talent and is only coming off of a minor procedure and will eventually regain his starter status once he's healthy.
Do you know that Rice overtook Brian Leonard at Rutgers as a Sophmore? He did.They really arent in the same discussion for talent level. I dont know who said Leonard woudl take Jackson's position, but that sounds very silly to me.

This topic reminds me a lot of the Brian Leonard topic last year in the pre-season. Rice may pan out but he may also be benefitting from playing preseason games. He's looked good but everyone needs to remember it's just pre-season. Last year there were lots of people claiming that Leonard was going to take SJAX's job and he would sign. cut into his carries, look how that turned out. All we can do is wait and see, but I'm not going to jump on this bandwagon just yet as I think that McGahee has far more talent and is only coming off of a minor procedure and will eventually regain his starter status once he's healthy.
:confused:

thehornet said:
North said:
Do you know that Rice overtook Brian Leonard at Rutgers as a Sophmore? He did.They really arent in the same discussion for talent level. I dont know who said Leonard woudl take Jackson's position, but that sounds very silly to me.
point is, its pre-season..McGahee, by all accounts, will be ready for the opener..Rice has more of a Michael Turner 2006-2007 slant to him than anything else, i.e., an overhyped backup who many think would steal the starting position ( in this case, by injury to Tomlinson) but they had to wait to see that happen ( signed by Atl)...I like Rice, but Cameron has never been a RBBC guy and if McGahee is healthy and looks sharp, we won't hear a peep out of Rice this season..next year, maybe, but probably not this year..

thehornet said:
North said:
point is, its pre-season..McGahee, by all accounts, will be ready for the opener..Rice has more of a Michael Turner 2006-2007 slant to him than anything else, i.e., an overhyped backup who many think would steal the starting position ( in this case, by injury to Tomlinson) but they had to wait to see that happen ( signed by Atl)...I like Rice, but Cameron has never been a RBBC guy and if McGahee is healthy and looks sharp, we won't hear a peep out of Rice this season..next year, maybe, but probably not this year..
I don't think that it is clear that McGahee will be ready by game 1 for full time starter action. Last I heard he wasn't even running yet, he is having trouble learning the new playbook, and he was out of shape before the knee surgery. I don't see how he can jump in and take 25 carries week 1. That being said, he is still the featured back, but in the NFL you don't want to surrender game time to a good backup.

thehornet said:
North said:
I seem to recall last year the consensus was after the draft that St. Louis was about the WORST place for Leonard to end up.

Watching Rice's Rutgers highlight reels, I am impressed.

Forget about some of those mammoth holes he had to run through for a moment, and look at his lateral speed and his bruising style. For a smaller guy, he is punishing. I think the Maurice Jones-Drew comparison is apt. Both Rice and Drew are a load to take down once they get moving. And Rice seems to had a very speedy initial burst, which means the offensive line doesn't need to hold their blocks for a long time.

I have Rice on my team and I don't expect much this year. But the shelf life for RBs is short, so I don't expect McGahee to last a long time given all the carries he's going to get in that offense. This is a player I will stash away with high hopes in the future.

My point with the comparison was to show how last year many thought that B. Leonard would cut into SJAX carries b/c of his talent and the way he performed in the preseason, not a comparison of their running ability in college.

Many thought that Leonard would be a nice change of pace back who would get 3rd down carries and cut into SJAX's receiving numbers based on his performance in the preseason. When Leonard got his chance he crapped the bed and showed that he wasn't at the same talent level as Jackson. I like Rice but IMO he isn't at the same talent level as McGahee. Rice may get the opportunity that Leonard got last year and I expect similar results. Rice is good but not at McGahee's level right now and we must remember that these numbers Rice is putting up are PRESEASON #'s. Don't get caught up in the hype! Take McGahee in the 4th or 5th and reep the rewards later in the season.

Just read over in the MCgahee thread that Willis is unlikely to play Week 1 per Fanball.

So. What's this mean for Ray? Good flex play week1 keep on the bench to see how things pan out?

what gives?

I would hate to lose my first FF game of the season by playing an untested rookie over someone else more reliable on my roster. The truth is that we never know how defenses will look the 1st week. There are always defense surprises the first week who overperform or underperform.

bucsbaby said:
Depends where you would be playing him. What's not to like about Rice as a #3RB/Flex option?
What difference does it make where you play him if there is someone on your roster who is more reliable to score more points who can also be played in that same slot. I am puzzled at the concept that I see on the board that taking a risk of playing a certain player in the flex position is somehow a better decision even though you can play someone else in that same flex position who is more liklely to score the points you need.

Well, I wouldn't start him over Joe Addai, if that's what you mean. But how many teams have the depth on their roster to do better at #3RB than a RB who will get 25+ touches against one of the worst DSTs in the league :rolleyes:

bucsbaby said:
Depends where you would be playing him. What's not to like about Rice as a #3RB/Flex option?
What difference does it make where you play him if there is someone on your roster who is more reliable to score more points who can also be played in that same slot. I am puzzled at the concept that I see on the board that taking a risk of playing a certain player in the flex position is somehow a better decision even though you can play someone else in that same flex position who is more liklely to score the points you need.
I'm starting Rice over the following 3 guys as my 3rd flex in a standard scoring non-ppr league:Chestor TaylorBurlesonGinnI suspect most Rice owners are facing somewhat similar options. Rice clearly seems like the safest pick out of the 3 with the most upside. It's completely irrelevant that he's a rookie.

Users who are viewing this thread