What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ray Rice in PPR league.... (1 Viewer)

deadRED

Footballguy
What's everyone's take on Ray Rice this year?

Looks like he could be a nice pick in later rounds. Should be more valuable in a PPR league.

Just wondering if he would be a RB to target if i were to go RB/WR/WR on draft day.

What's everyone's take on Ray Rice this year?Looks like he could be a nice pick in later rounds. Should be more valuable in a PPR league.Just wondering if he would be a RB to target if i were to go RB/WR/WR on draft day.
Hmm, let's see he had 107 rushes and 33 catches last year. Let's just say he gets 225 rushes this year. I think it's safe to say that he gets over 50 catches...I think that's pretty good for a RB in a PPR league format.

First, Ray Rice. Why all the love for him? Because the Ravens simply run the ball, and that will not change. Flacco should be somewhat improved, but this team will keep the same game plan and that's playing defense and running the ball. A slight improvement from Flacco will be a positive, not a negative. Not to mention Cam Cameron, who gets the most out of his RBs (see: LT 2002-2006, Ronnie Brown 2007). Check out McClain, McGahee, and Rice combined last year:

509 rushes, 2027 yards, 17 TDs
76 receptions, 569 yards, 1 TD
443 fantasy pointsAll signs point to an increase for Rice, and it's fairly easy to see this coming. He's their best runner: last year his YPC was 4.2 compared to 3.9 for McClain and McGahee, and his YPR was 8.3 compared to 7.2 and 6.3. The Ravens lost FB Lorenzo Neal to the Raiders, so McClain will have to play FB. When McClain is at RB, they will have to go with a Jumbo package... that will only be effective for 3rd-and-1, 4th-and-1, and Goal Line (inside the 5). I don't think they will use McClain on something like 3rd-and-5 or even 3rd-and-3... and they won't use McClain in the Red Zone except inside the 5.

McGahee had not one but two lower leg surgeries this offseason... knee and ankle I think. Reports from camp suggest that he is looking good, but I just don't see it. He will play second fiddle... he would've already been cut if his contract didn't cause so much of a cap hit. And don't forget, he will be banged up and miss some time. Count on it.

Give Rice half of those 500 carries at his 4.2 YPC... looking at 250 for 1050 yards. He's shown that he's a talented reciever as he led the team in receptions last year with 33. 40 receptions at 8.5 YPR for 340 yards. I don't think his TDs will be spectacular, but 6 rushing and 2 receiving is reasonable. Almost 1400 total yards, 40 receptions, 8 TDs => 228 points. He's only 5'8'' but bulked up to about 215... plenty big to carry the load. Not to mention he was a workhorse at Rutgers. He's not a scatback.

I drafted Sunday. I took LJ at 4.3, Rice went 4.5

I think I am the one who blew it

Not sure he will make it to RD5, let alone the end of Round 4 any more

ETA: One of my league mates made a comment saying that he thought I was going Rice after he was drafted. I said I would have but I didnt want to take him 5 Rounds too early. Everyone laughed but deep down inside I was :goodposting:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just drafted Rice as my RB2 at #58 overall in a ten-team league.

56 Willie Parker, Pit

57 Larry Johnson, KC

58 Ray Rice, Bal

59 LenDale White, Ten

I feel like I got the best of the bunch.

Edit: I also got McClain at #103 and McGahee at #118. Hedging my bet. :lmao:

karmarooster said:
jswalker1981 said:
I was just offered Barber for Rice, not quite sure if I should take it. Rice definitely has potential in PPR.
barber has, um, potential, too. and TDs. take barber.
Why in the world would you not accept this deal as soon as it popped up on your screen? :thumbup:

I've only seen Rice once in pre-season, last night. He doesn't strike me as the most talented RB, but runs hard and determined. Lays good blocks also.

I drafted on Saturday and got him in the 8th. There were a couple groans....as in he would not have made it out of that round.

I've only seen Rice once in pre-season, last night. He doesn't strike me as the most talented RB, but runs hard and determined. Lays good blocks also.I drafted on Saturday and got him in the 8th. There were a couple groans....as in he would not have made it out of that round.
against a fairly good Jets rush defense..Rice will catch 60+ balls, and carry the ball about 275-300 times in 2009...and I know it is just preseason,but the Ravens didn't take Rice out when they were at the goalline, they let him score from within the 5..that is an impressive sign of things to come..don't sleep on Cam Cameron's RB's..this guy is going to be a workhorse RB, and what's not to like when you play Cincy and Cle 2x each/yr?!

I work at a Radio station in Maryland that airs the Ravens games, and I heard this past Monday that Rice is gonna get the bulk of the carries (250-275 my guess) and be the primary on passing downs!

McGahee is having a good camp, but is a powder puff girl, and mcclain is the change of pace back!

But expect Rice to get the GL touches too as Harbaugh said "he just seems to find away in the endzone when needed"....a quote I heard on the pregame show!

LOOK OUT FOR RICE AS HE IS A FUTURE STUD! (AN MJD CLONE...IMO)

Listen to all the Ravens games on my station www.977therocket.com

In ppr leagues I think right now if you want to get him you will have to nab in the 4th round. The guy looks good and if there is anyone that thinks Mcgahee will stay healty all year is blowing smoke. Rice is starting to get more hype everyday. I think your looking at 60 catches this year :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I will take him at RB2 in the 5th round, if I can see it going that way. If RBs are going too quickly, might need to jump on him in the 4th in my league. This is still a league where RBs are taken and most are gone by round 6-7. I like Rice this year. McGahee is washed up.

i just recently had the decision between rice and knowshon, and went knowshon...i have rice on my dynasty squad and love him, so it was a tough call, what would you guys have done...

would 4:06 be too early in a 12 team PPR ? I want Andre with my 1:07 pick, then probably Jennings or Wayne with me 2nd, then the top RB on the board with my 3rd, possibly Ronnie Brown, then Rice in the 4th. Is this a good strategy ?

would 4:06 be too early in a 12 team PPR ? I want Andre with my 1:07 pick, then probably Jennings or Wayne with me 2nd, then the top RB on the board with my 3rd, possibly Ronnie Brown, then Rice in the 4th. Is this a good strategy ?
there's a chance you could get rice in the 5th, depends on how savvy your league is.

I have a similar plan, best or WR/RB with 1.08, then the opposite position in rd 2, then another RB/WR in rd 3, and at rd 4 if I took WR in rd 3, and Rice is the best of the bunch, I will take him, then QB in 5, I like a few, so hopefully one is there at 5.08.Obviously if someone drops a bit and is too good to pass up RB-wise in rd 3, I wont pass that guy to get Rice.I hope to get something like DeAngelo, Moss, P Thomas, D Jackson, Rodgers...maybe thats all wishful thinking but we do IDP and LBs start popping in late rd 3 or early 4, so some top offensive players fall a bit.

when I first started my ffb research Rice was just a sleeper and barely making it out of the 5/6th round. The cat is out of the bag gents and if you want him take him no later than the 4th. If you draft near the end you better take him early in the 4th or you won't see him. I have him along with forte and jacobs in my 12 man ppr league, and yes my wrs suck! I'm hoping brady and my rbs will make up for it. If you want a player you have to reach for him.

I have a similar plan, best or WR/RB with 1.08, then the opposite position in rd 2, then another RB/WR in rd 3, and at rd 4 if I took WR in rd 3, and Rice is the best of the bunch, I will take him, then QB in 5, I like a few, so hopefully one is there at 5.08.Obviously if someone drops a bit and is too good to pass up RB-wise in rd 3, I wont pass that guy to get Rice.I hope to get something like DeAngelo, Moss, P Thomas, D Jackson, Rodgers...maybe thats all wishful thinking but we do IDP and LBs start popping in late rd 3 or early 4, so some top offensive players fall a bit.

when I first started my ffb research Rice was just a sleeper and barely making it out of the 5/6th round. The cat is out of the bag gents and if you want him take him no later than the 4th. If you draft near the end you better take him early in the 4th or you won't see him. I have him along with forte and jacobs in my 12 man ppr league, and yes my wrs suck! I'm hoping brady and my rbs will make up for it. If you want a player you have to reach for him.

I have a similar plan, best or WR/RB with 1.08, then the opposite position in rd 2, then another RB/WR in rd 3, and at rd 4 if I took WR in rd 3, and Rice is the best of the bunch, I will take him, then QB in 5, I like a few, so hopefully one is there at 5.08.Obviously if someone drops a bit and is too good to pass up RB-wise in rd 3, I wont pass that guy to get Rice.

I hope to get something like DeAngelo, Moss, P Thomas, D Jackson, Rodgers...maybe thats all wishful thinking but we do IDP and LBs start popping in late rd 3 or early 4, so some top offensive players fall a bit.
This is why I was upset his game was on Monday night - lots of people got to see him play and he didn't disappoint. Heck, Kuselius was talking him up today on Mike & Mike as well. He's no longer under the radar even for the casual fantasy football player.

I like Rice a lot, but 4th or 5th would be too rich for my blood. High risk, high reward though......
Whats the risk here?Hes a starting RBIts only a risk if u listen to what cheat sheets or analysts say, plus listening to them is death to a title anyways, how often have they been right!No risk here at all, none whats so ever.....injury is the only one and that goes for everyone!Start using common sense, stop using analyst rankings!

I like Rice a lot, but 4th or 5th would be too rich for my blood. High risk, high reward though......
Whats the risk here?
Dont get me wrong, Im a big fan of Rice and see lots of positives for him. Especially in the receiving area. I even plan on drafting him and for the most part I agree with you.But the risk with him (when compared to the people dafted around him) is that he scored 0 touchdowns last year on 100+rush/140+ touches. Zero TDs on 140 is almost as bad as his 33 catches is good in ppr. No other RB did that. A serious lack of scoring could sting.
WHAT DO LAST YEARS STATS HAVE TO WITH THIS YEARS POTENTIAL?NOTHIN, MCGAHEE WAS THE STARTER LAST YEAR, NOW ITS RICE!

There is no way Baltimore has a workhorse back this year provided they all stay healthy. Rice is getting too hyped up. Baltimore is the MODEL for the 3 headed RBBC. Rice may put up the best numbers of the bunch, especially in PPR, but expecting a top 10 RB from Baltimore seems a bit of a reach. I do like Rice, I think he's very talented and in 2010 very well could be a top 10 back. I'm just not sold on THAT yet. But the RB2's around R4-5 are so muddled that if someone is high on him, they should go for it I suppose. Who's to say he doesn't do better than Addai or Moreno or Parker.. or even as good as Lynch in PPR.. so he could be a solid RB2 IF things fall his way.

Bottom line.. I can see him going for 1400 total and 8 td's (similar split to MJD, but less TD's b/c he's not the goalline back, he's 3rd for that) as a CEILING. Good solid RB2 numbers. I can also see him going for 1000 total and 5 TD's with 40 receptions, which would be a high end #3 as a floor.

Whats the risk here?
Dont get me wrong, Im a big fan of Rice and see lots of positives for him. Especially in the receiving area. I even plan on drafting him and for the most part I agree with you.But the risk with him (when compared to the people dafted around him) is that he scored 0 touchdowns last year on 100+rush/140+ touches. Zero TDs on 140 is almost as bad as his 33 catches is good in ppr. No other RB did that. A serious lack of scoring could sting.
WHAT DO LAST YEARS STATS HAVE TO WITH THIS YEARS POTENTIAL?NOTHIN, MCGAHEE WAS THE STARTER LAST YEAR, NOW ITS RICE!
Why are you yelling? You're a foot from me.

Whats the risk here?
Why are you yelling? You're a foot from me.
My work requires DOS, which makes me use all caps at times, not gonna worry about changin it from not caps, cuz at the end of the day it still says the same thing....

Whats the risk here?Hes a starting RBIts only a risk if u listen to what cheat sheets or analysts say, plus listening to them is death to a title anyways, how often have they been right!No risk here at all, none whats so ever.....injury is the only one and that goes for everyone!Start using common sense, stop using analyst rankings!
Dude Relax and get off your beat box. I do what I want and I certainly dont need you telling me who and what I listen too. You dont even know me so zip it. I have already made it more than clear that I am a fan of Rice these days (In the past not so much). Rice is a risky pick in the 4th in MY MIND. There are 3 capable running backs on that team and they will all be involved. FACT. Do what you want with that info, but dont cry when Rice isnt performing like a 4th round pick around week 10 and McClain has 10 TD's.

There is no way Baltimore has a workhorse back this year provided they all stay healthy. Rice is getting too hyped up. Baltimore is the MODEL for the 3 headed RBBC. Rice may put up the best numbers of the bunch, especially in PPR, but expecting a top 10 RB from Baltimore seems a bit of a reach. I do like Rice, I think he's very talented and in 2010 very well could be a top 10 back. I'm just not sold on THAT yet. But the RB2's around R4-5 are so muddled that if someone is high on him, they should go for it I suppose. Who's to say he doesn't do better than Addai or Moreno or Parker.. or even as good as Lynch in PPR.. so he could be a solid RB2 IF things fall his way.Bottom line.. I can see him going for 1400 total and 8 td's (similar split to MJD, but less TD's b/c he's not the goalline back, he's 3rd for that) as a CEILING. Good solid RB2 numbers. I can also see him going for 1000 total and 5 TD's with 40 receptions, which would be a high end #3 as a floor.
The Ravens will do whatever is most effective. If they think Rice getting 70% of the carries/catches, then they'll lean that way, But if Willis McGahee shows his 2007 form and what he did for a few plays last year, he'll get plenty of action, closer to 40%. As for Le'Ron Mclain, this wont be as static from last year. he is limited to short yardage carries with the amount depending on two things..who else plays FB and the health of Rice and McGahee.

I've seen just about every game Rice ever played at Rutgers, so I understand why some people who've seen him play with Baltimore come away unimpressed. His signature move is to read and react to a hole, and many times will slow up to wait for his blocking to set. It's not flashy and makes it appear he is doing alot less than he is. Many times I sat in Rutgers Stadium thinking he had 20 carries for 80 yards only to go home and see 28 for 150.

Also, I would ignore the TD stats from last year. With McClain and McGahee, there wasn't much reason to put him in at the goalline, especially when he was dinged up later in the season. But he's a great goalline back. He just always found a way to get into the endzone. 44 times over his last 2 years, 20 in 2006 even with Brian Leonard in the same backfield.

Bottom line to me, by the end of the year, McGahee will be a non-factor.

Dude Relax and get off your beat box. I do what I want and I certainly dont need you telling me who and what I listen too. You dont even know me so zip it. I have already made it more than clear that I am a fan of Rice these days (In the past not so much). Rice is a risky pick in the 4th in MY MIND. There are 3 capable running backs on that team and they will all be involved. FACT. Do what you want with that info, but dont cry when Rice isnt performing like a 4th round pick around week 10 and McClain has 10 TD's.
Well im glad u know all this and told me, now i can disregard my source in the Ravens organization! :rolleyes: Thank you!

I've seen just about every game Rice ever played at Rutgers, so I understand why some people who've seen him play with Baltimore come away unimpressed. His signature move is to read and react to a hole, and many times will slow up to wait for his blocking to set. It's not flashy and makes it appear he is doing alot less than he is. Many times I sat in Rutgers Stadium thinking he had 20 carries for 80 yards only to go home and see 28 for 150.Also, I would ignore the TD stats from last year. With McClain and McGahee, there wasn't much reason to put him in at the goalline, especially when he was dinged up later in the season. But he's a great goalline back. He just always found a way to get into the endzone. 44 times over his last 2 years, 20 in 2006 even with Brian Leonard in the same backfield.Bottom line to me, by the end of the year, McGahee will be a non-factor.
Don't go by college stats.Garrett Wolfe scored 34 TD's in 2 years, but he's definately NOT a goal line RB in the NFL.

I'm leaning towards the side that finds it hard to believe that Rice won't get most of the work. He runs hard, and has good pass catching skills. You also have teammates quoted as saying he finds a way to get in the endzone.

I also believe that Baltimore can finally keep defenses somewhat honest with Flaco, Mason, and a healthy Heap.

Well im glad u know all this and told me, now i can disregard my source in the Ravens organization! :rolleyes: Thank you!
Unless your source is the coach or the Off Coord. then im going to trust my instincts and what history has told me. Maybe if you werent so rude in the way you told people how much you like Rice, then people wouldnt snap at you. Thanks Chief.

I traded McFadden and Bears D for Rice and Vikes D today...hope I did the right thing...PPR redraft...we shall see...

Starting back doesn't mean feature back.

tonight in a PPR

McFad 8.01

Rice 9.10

just to temper the desire to draft him in round five.

10 carries, 8 receptions for 67 yds so far tonight in week 3 of the preseason. I think Flacco likes Ray Rice.

I took him at 4.11 in a 14-team PPR, ahead of Bush and LJohnson - we'll see how it works out. May have been a bit of a reach, but I really go think he'll catch a bunch of passes, and I'm not convinced Bush can stay healthy for an entire season.

I think people are missing the point...you want to secure the ravens running GAME, not just one back. I just got Rice in my 12 team Keep 3 local FBGs draft at the end of the second round (which basically equals 5th round, and I can keep him now if I like). I thought it was early but it is a league with 2 flex positions, .5 PPR for RBs. Everyone "atta boy'ed" me when I got him, but I think the coup for me was when I secured McGahee in the 12th round (basically 15th considering keep 3). We do know Rice is starting, but McGahee rufuses to roll over. Now some may think McClain is the guy to have (to each their own) with Rice, but 5th round is too early IMO, if you do not walk away with who you perceive to be the #2 on that team later in your draft. Worst case scenario for me is Rice does not perform, gets benched and i have the "between the 20s guy" (although McGahee is not bad at the goalline).

I think people are missing the point...you want to secure the ravens running GAME, not just one back. I just got Rice in my 12 team Keep 3 local FBGs draft at the end of the second round (which basically equals 5th round, and I can keep him now if I like). I thought it was early but it is a league with 2 flex positions, .5 PPR for RBs. Everyone "atta boy'ed" me when I got him, but I think the coup for me was when I secured McGahee in the 12th round (basically 15th considering keep 3). We do know Rice is starting, but McGahee rufuses to roll over. Now some may think McClain is the guy to have (to each their own) with Rice, but 5th round is too early IMO, if you do not walk away with who you perceive to be the #2 on that team later in your draft. Worst case scenario for me is Rice does not perform, gets benched and i have the "between the 20s guy" (although McGahee is not bad at the goalline).
No thats not the point at all. Why would you want to waste 3 roster spots? The skark move is to get Rice and fill your other 2 roster spots with non-bums. Rice is clearly the feature RB for the Ravens, Willis will spell him occasionally, and McClain is the FB, who may get some goal line carries.

Users who are viewing this thread