What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alexander Mattison, LV (3 Viewers)

It does occur to me that there’s a non-zero chance Ty is the starter next year.

They’ll have to pinch some pennies based on Cousins alleged contract demands, and Ty does know the offense.

MIN has also de-emphasized the run game a bit since moving on from Cook.

I can see a scenario where the Vikes roll the dice with Chandler & spend a later round pick on a backup who could get a shot if Chandler is on a short leash.

Not making a prediction - just saying I could see a chance that Ty remains the starter. It wouldn’t be crazy, given their other needs.

I agree with all of this. Surprise!

I'd still move Chandler if you could get a first for him. In a heartbeat.

They’ll have to pinch some pennies based on Cousins alleged contract demands, and Ty does know the offense.

I can see a scenario where the Vikes roll the dice with Chandler & spend a later round pick on a backup who could get a shot if Chandler is on a short leash.

Not making a prediction - just saying I could see a chance that Ty remains the starter. It wouldn’t be crazy, given their other needs.

Oh yeah - I’d probably take a 2nd.

Anyone who would do that (trade for Chandler) needs their head examined.

I thought that was a foregone conclusion. Man, you have to snicker at those who traded a 1st round rookie pick for him.
To be fair, at the time AM was a dude who performed well in relief of Cook. He wasn’t a known JAG to that point. He was a zero RB darling who everyone drafted hoping for a Cook absence prior to that.

Folks looking to buy on AM saw a dude with little competition for carries in a high powered offense with JJ stretching the field all day, with 264 carries & 56 receiving targets available.

It wasn’t correct logic, but I can squint a little and understand the logic.

That said, I’m glad I was one of the ones selling for a 1st rather than buying. I’d traded Mariota for AM in 2022 to a contending team that needed BYE week coverage in SF, so that worked out great.

I'm a little surprised if only because they save basically no money doing it. Like, they could have easily kept him as an RB3 for the money they saved.
Agreed, that part was very surprising.

Turns out they saved a little over $3m by cutting him. He had $2.75m reported as a guarantee that was really an option bonus and he is no longer owed it.

He has always done well when he got 18+ carries, the same way many in previous eras would.

They too wouldn't do well with less unless they broke one.
For this reason, they were always done once they were backups

You're advocating giving this slow guy more carries to increase his effectiveness?

That's not the way they're playing football anymore. The analytics-dominated guys in Minnesota certainly aren't going to do that. They're throwing or giving the ball to highly efficient backs. This plodder is neither efficient nor a receiver, so he ain't touching the ball anymore for them.
No just that he played in the wrong era.
He could be done quick as the other sled dogs were

I thought that was a foregone conclusion. Man, you have to snicker at those who traded a 1st round rookie pick for him.
To be fair, at the time AM was a dude who performed well in relief of Cook. He wasn’t a known JAG to that point. He was a zero RB darling who everyone drafted hoping for a Cook absence prior to that.

Folks looking to buy on AM saw a dude with little competition for carries in a high powered offense with JJ stretching the field all day, with 264 carries & 56 receiving targets available.

That said, I’m glad I was one of the ones selling for a 1st rather than buying. I’d traded Mariota for AM in 2022 to a contending team that needed BYE week coverage in SF, so that worked out great.
Not directed at anyone in particular, but I thought RB's were easily replaceable. Plug and play. No use spending money on them.

Not directed at anyone in particular, but I thought RB's were easily replaceable. Plug and play. No use spending money on them.
While that’s somewhat correct, as long as they’re a roster requirement, people will value them.

Also keep in mind, getting a 2025 1st in 2023 is equivalent value to a 2024 2nd. -ish.

Not saying it was a smart buy by my trade partner or anyone who paid up for AM, I’m just saying it’s not as insane as some would have you believe.

We all get feelings about certain players. Mattison had a buzz for a couple years as “next man up” - when it finally happened, some folks got excited. I don’t judge them for it.

Some folks might similarly get excited about Ty Chandler if the Vikes don’t draft an early round RB.

Last edited:
Some folks might similarly get excited about Ty Chandler if the Vikes don’t draft an early round RB.
And that’s a mistake. I like Chandler as a prospect more than I ever did Mattison but if you get a chance to cash out on Chandler like people did with Mattison, you have to do it. He was such a late pick or even a waiver wire add. It’s just free money.

And that’s a mistake. I like Chandler as a prospect more than I ever did Mattison but if you get a chance to cash out on Chandler like people did with Mattison, you have to do it. He was such a late pick or even a waiver wire add. It’s just free money.
I’m not arguing against that at all. As a Ty shareholder I’m hoping someone in that league gets smitten enough with him to pay me what I got for AM!

Send me a 2026 1st? Hell, a 2027 1st? Sold!
:lol:

My understanding is that they're not in the running for Cousins at his asking price. They don't have the luxury of waiting to see what his market is because once the official 1st day of the 2024 season begins, they're absorbing a nearly $30M dead cap hit from him. Not saying they don't resign him, just that if they do, it'll be before FA. In previous drafts they've been linked to moving up & they are again. Reportedly, they've inquired about a trade with New England. They've added Josh McCown to their coaching staff, who was Drake Maye's high school QB coach.

Tough to do both, you neither benefit from cap relief & if you win 9 or 10 games, you're not in a position to recoup the major investment you made to land Maye... Defensively they blitzed like 51.5% of the time, IIRC. Considerably more than the team that was 2nd most & in some other orbit when compared to league avg. Tendencies, no matter what they are or how effective eventually are used against every team. It's back to whether they believe they're in some sort of window & this 35 yr old, with a 1-4 playoff record, is their savior?

Has to be great news for Zamir White truthers. You’d much, much rather them sign a trash can like this then bring in some upstart rookie. Not that this prevents them from doing that, but maybe it lessens the odds.

Yeah, I posted in Zamir's thread when this one was official.

Users who are viewing this thread