What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Blake Corum, LAR (1 Viewer)

And you consider him average? Every one of those teams that you named were Top 20. Three were top 5 at the time of the game.

5 games
104-502-9 (4.8 ypc) 5-43-1

Or

21.8 touches/game
109 y/g
2 TD/g

That seems like excellent production against superior talent to me. It really seems pedestrian to you? Who played better against that kind of competition?

And you consider him average? Every one of those teams that you named were Top 20. Three were top 5 at the time of the game.

5 games

Or

21.8 touches/game
109 y/g
2 TD/g

That seems like excellent production against superior talent to me. It really seems pedestrian to you? Who played better against that kind of competition?

I agree the production is excellent but it just doesn't seem like he has NFL burst for lack of a better description. I like the vision and durabiity, am concerned about size and burst. Profiles as a JAG to me. Not that , that's terrible. Just not expecting elite metrics or stats at the next level if that makes sense.

Fantasy Pros had an extensive write up on Corum, ranking him 2nd behind Trey Benson:

Blake Corum had his best season to date in 2023, as he aided in Michigan's championship run as the focal point of the team's offensive rushing attack. The 5-foot-8 and 205-pound rusher posted a 33% dominator rating in his final season with the Wolverines rushing for 1,245 yards and 27 touchdowns. He recorded the third-highest dominator rating among RBs in 2023. His breakout year came in 2021, demonstrating his potential as a leading rusher - 944 rushing yards and 11 TDs, which was good for a 19% dominator rating and set the stage for an even more impressive 2022 season. That year, Corum rushed for over 1,400 yards.
Corum improved every single season to tie a bow on his college career with a 23% dominator rating - a near top-five mark in his RB class. He showed talent at an early age after splitting time as a true freshman with future NFL RBs Hassan Haskins and Zach Charbonnet. He also overcame 2022 knee surgery, which didn't stop him from a monster 2023 campaign (even if he was slightly less efficient). Corum was super productive as a rusher all three seasons as the featured weapon, which is further highlighted by his 3.09 yards per snap on offense. One of just six players in the class to crest the 3.00 yards per snap/play threshold. Yards per play is a great indicator of future success with recent late-round standouts in that category over the past three years including Keaton Mitchell, Tyjae Spears, Elijah Mitchell, Rhamondre Stevenson, Rachaad White and Tyler Allgeier. This metric also confirmed the status of last year's first-rounders Jahmyr Gibbs and Bijan Robinson, both of whom graded positively in that category.

Kamari Vidal, Troy - A smaller school player who could surprise a lot of people at the next level. He averaged over 21 att/gm last year showing his ability to be a lead back at the next level.

I was higher on Vidal than anything I've seen until this. RB4? Nice. Bold. I like it. He is easily the best pass protecting RB in the draft. A month or so ago in the group mock here I did Dallas. When I took a 2nd OL someone asked me about RB. Dallas really needs RB help. I said, I would wait and target Vidal. He was used so heavily, he constantly ran into stacked fronts. He constantly made the right choice and picked up every yard available. Fwiw, the rest of our list is pretty similar.

1 Blake Corum
2 Trey Benson
3 Jonathan Brooks
4 Jaylen Wright
5 Marshawn Lloyd
6 Kimani Vidal

For me that's a tier. When I make a tier it usually means they're all pretty equal in my mind.

5 games

Or

21.8 touches/game
109 y/g
2 TD/g

I agree the production is excellent but it just doesn't seem like he has NFL burst for lack of a better description. I like the vision and durabiity, am concerned about size and burst. Profiles as a JAG to me. Not that , that's terrible. Just not expecting elite metrics or stats at the next level if that makes sense.
I disagree about the burst. His lateral quickness is top notch. But time will tell.

Simply based on the eye test, Corum strikes me as a rather average prospect.
I hope the teams in front of me in the draft gobble him up. I’m glad I don’t have a Michigan bias :)
You’re glad now. Let’s see how you feel in December.
If he falls far enough in dynasty drafts, and he probably will, I may end up with a share or two. A lot of players look better if they fall far enough.

Simply based on the eye test, Corum strikes me as a rather average prospect.
I hope the teams in front of me in the draft gobble him up. I’m glad I don’t have a Michigan bias :)
You’re glad now. Let’s see how you feel in December.
If he falls far enough in dynasty drafts, and he probably will, I may end up with a share or two. A lot of players look better if they fall far enough.
Agreed - every player looks better if he falls far enough.

32BeatWriters
McVay on Corum: “One of the things that jumped off is there’s a lot of traits that reminded me of Kyren Williams. Obviously I love Kyren and he’s been so important, and just the human being, but then also when you just look at the way he works at it, the production and the things that he was able to bring to our offense last year, and even really some of the things that he worked through his rookie year. I think there’s a lot of similarities.”

Blake Corum NFL draft: What Sean McVay said of new Los Angeles Rams running back out of Michigan

Excerpt:

"For me, one of the things that jumped off is there's a lot of traits that reminded me of Kyren Williams," McVay told reporters after Corum was drafted at No. 83 overall. "... Obviously, Kyren will put Blake under his arm and be a great mentor and kind of a leader. But, (running backs coach) Ron Gould was really excited about him, (offensive coordinator) Mike LaFleur, I obviously love his game.

"He's got a bunch of tape to be able to evaluate, he's been a part of an incredibly successful program, he's been the bell cow for them in the midst of their successful runs they've had their last few years. And so, we're really looking forward to getting to work with him."
How can Corum see the field as a rookie?

"I think they've got to earn trust," McVay said. "Consistent production, based on the different situations that come up, through all three downs and fourth down. You want to see guys that are productive runners that understand where they're supposed to set blocks at the point of attack and what's the intent of the play. You (want to) see guys that compete without the ball, and he does a great job of competing without the ball in protection.
"I think there's some different things he can do to bring an added element in the passing game, and so, I think it's really just the trust and consistency of what (Gould) is asking snap in and snap out. You've seen a lot of those things that have been on tape for him, and there's a lot of things that you can evaluate that are easier. You see so often these running backs are accepting runs off the offset gun. They're a big under center outfit, taking runs from the pistol, and he does a great job.

"You can see he's at his best when his shoulders are square to the line of scrimmage. (Michigan) does a good job with different run schemes that are easy to evaluate, and you just see the competitive toughness and then as games wear on, it seems like that's when he gets better and better. I just remember even talking to a bunch of our coaches when the College Football Playoff was started and watching him and the impact he had on the Alabama game. That's a tough defense, back and forth, and then in crunch time, in the overtime period, he makes a great run where he's inside and moves it back out and is able to finish it that ultimately ended up being the game-winning play.
"He's had stuff like that show up throughout the course of his career."

Corum was the third running back selected in the draft, behind only Texas' Jonathan Brooks and Florida State's Trey Benson, who went 46th overall and 66th overall to the Carolina Panthers and Arizona Cardinals, respectively.

The first article shows the writer either doesn’t know football or never watched Michigan. While Corum is extremely good in short yardage situations, he is not a power back.

He has superb vision and lateral quickness. If you compare highlight videos, you can see Williams is more straight ahead but shows similar vision. Blake has more power.

Kyren: https://youtu.be/E3BvwFm5Mu8?si=RmFhWxR8OyMRidCJ

Blake: https://youtu.be/0R6jTXPnGZ4?si=teRLh-e3HCA_sjIy

Users who are viewing this thread