What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Breece Hall, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Daniel Jeremiah shares WR to watch for Bills at pick 25, explains why RB Breece Hall makes sense

Excerpt:

Jeremiah also touched upon the subject of Buffalo selecting a running back in Round 1. Breece Hall of Iowa State has been a popular mock draft selection for the Bills. According to Jeremiah, adding Hall makes plenty of sense based on how Buffalo’s roster is currently built.

“Breece Hall, the running back from Iowa State, to me is by far -- would be the best running back on their roster if he were to go there. I think you’ve got an offense that’s going to go out and get a bunch of leads with how explosive they are, I think getting somebody that can finish the game, I think Breece Hall gives you that ability. When it comes to the value of the position, the devalue of the position, whatever you want to call it, my thought process on running backs is I don’t have a problem taking those guys in the first round, provided your team is ready to win right now and they’re all meaningful carries. In other words, you’re a bad team and you take a running back high. If we assume that they’ve got a short shelf life and you’re going to get a five-year run out of those guys, you’re wasting two of those years or you’re wasting two years of carries on a bad team. The Buffalo Bills have a team that’s a championship caliber team right now. You draft a running back, every single one of those carries you would think for the next four or five years is going to be a meaningful, valuable carry. I could make a strong case that that would make a lot of sense with Breece Hall there for them at 25.”

It would be dream scenario if Hall is taken by Buffalo Bills.  Hopefully, they would learn something or two from recent AFC championship game where Chiefs couldn't finish the game after building up a huge lead over Bengals. 

According to DraftKings, Iowa State's Breece Hall is the favorite to be the first running back taken in the draft.

For most of the predraft process, it has been debated whether Hall (6'1/220) or Kenneth Walker will be the first running back taken. Both are very different backs -- Hall is a dual-threat with speed and flash, while Walker is a pure runner with the toughness to gain yards after contact. Hall impressed scouts at the Combine which soared his draft stock and some even believe he has a chance to be taken on Day 1. Whatever he's taken Draftkings thinks he'll be the first running back as they have him at -250 with Walker at +225. Hall has the big-play potential, with his size and pass-catching ability, he looks like a three-down back and could be a great talent.

SOURCE: Julian Edlow

Apr 27, 2022, 8:38 PM ET

CEH was like 1.06 in rookie rankings until the Chiefs took him. His times and other measurements were not good. Not like Hall, whose RAS (Relative Athletic Score), measurements, and three-year college production are getting him compared to Saquon/McFadden and others. 
And I guess that's where the Hall love loses me. 

Saquon/McFadden were top 5 picks in the draft. Another guy I hear compared to Hall is Fred Taylor(a top 10 pick). With Hall I just feel like this push that he's a first rounder has happened in the past month, well after everyone has stopped playing football. Saquon was supposed to be Michael Jordan playing RB a full year before entering the draft.

Based on the mock draft history over at PFF Hall was being mocked in the back half of the second round back in November/December. His rise to possible first round pick has been in April. Maybe it's because I don't put as much weight on combine numbers as others. If it's a small school guy that dominates others at the Senior Bowl then I'm open to bumping the guy up like Ali Marpet. At the combine I'm only really looking for guys that give you a reason to bump them down because they perform/measure much worse than expected.

I feel like we hear this mantra every year that "the tape doesn't lie", and yet those same people every year swing a guy from pick ~#60 to pick ~#20 based on combine numbers. Maybe it's recency bias. Maybe it's just three full months since the SB to spin out over analyzing these players. It's always been a mystery how many of these guys are so much better/worse than they were on January 1st even if they haven't played a meaningful game.

Aznflyer14 said:
It would be dream scenario if Hall is taken by Buffalo Bills.  Hopefully, they would learn something or two from recent AFC championship game where Chiefs couldn't finish the game after building up a huge lead over Bengals. 
If you're interested in the "homer fan" perspective, McDermott went on and on about this particular topic pretty much all last season.  It was obvious to all of us that it was a source of tension between him and Daboll, even if both gentlemen were professionals enough not to fight in front of the kids.  

I don't know who the Bills are going to draft, but the buzz that we're hearing is nearly identical to the buzz last year about Etienne , and I've never seen any evidence at all that that was a smokescreen.  I think McDermott genuinely isn't totally happy with his RB room and would like a guy who can punish 6- and 7-man boxes and especially a guy who can close out tight games against good team.  

If you're interested in the "homer fan" perspective, McDermott went on and on about this particular topic pretty much all last season.  It was obvious to all of us that it was a source of tension between him and Daboll, even if both gentlemen were professionals enough not to fight in front of the kids.  

I don't know who the Bills are going to draft, but the buzz that we're hearing is nearly identical to the buzz last year about Etienne , and I've never seen any evidence at all that that was a smokescreen.  I think McDermott genuinely isn't totally happy with his RB room and would like a guy who can punish 6- and 7-man boxes and especially a guy who can close out tight games against good team.  
Damien Pierce

or figure out a way to trade down to mid 2nd round

Atlanta or Detroit may want to jumpt Tenn to take a 1st round flyer on QB

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the highly informative tidbit.  And it does make sense due to McDermott's background as defensive guru.  Basically, he wants to control the game by minimize the time spend by his defensive players on the field.  He probably knew that he couldn't rely on Josh Allen's legs all the time after seeing Newton's career went downhill due to number of hits he took in prior years. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport calls the Bills the most likely team to use a first-round pick on a running back, with Iowa State's Breece Hall the most probable selection. 

Rapsheet is not saying Hall is the Bills' most likely pick, only that it is where most of the first-round dots connect for a running back class not considered terribly likely to hear any of its names called on Night 1. There has been persistent Bills/running back chatter throughout draft season, though it has never seemed like a slam dunk the way it was with Pittsburgh and Najee Harris in 2021. We will know soon enough. 

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Apr 28, 2022, 3:54 PM ET

Texans really have done their homework on him and would make him a focal point of their offense so keep an eye to him going possibly to them tonight

Jets selected Iowa State RB Breece Hall with the No. 36 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.  

Hall (5'11/217) declared for the draft after three seasons at Iowa State. He emerged as a sophomore with 1,572 yards and 21 touchdowns, adding 23 receptions for 180 yards and two touchdowns, earning unanimous All-American honors and Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year. In 2021, he was a consensus All-American and again won Big 12 Player of the Year. Hall finished his career with nearly 4,000 rushing yards and projects to handle a big workload in the NFL. Hall also projects to be dynamic with that workload. He blazed 4.39 at the Combine and showed strong tackle-breaking and breakaway ability on the field. Hall is also a competent receiver who should be able to handle passing downs without issue. He projects as a three-down option in the mold of Ezekiel Elliott.

RELATED: 

Michael Carter

Apr 29, 2022, 7:28 PM ET

I have Walker over Hall in dynasties.  I think Walker thrives in Seattle.   Who knows with Hall and the Jets.

I have Walker over Hall in dynasties.  I think Walker thrives in Seattle.   Who knows with Hall and the Jets.
NYJ has a better OL, rising talent af QB, and a very sound coaching staff. 

Seattle has…Not all of that. 

Also Hall is a far more complete back than Walker.  Also doubtful that Walker catches the ball based on his track record. 

I’ll just say I disagree strongly and leave it at that. 

Also Hall is a far more complete back than Walker.  Also doubtful that Walker catches the ball based on his track record. 

Seattle has two rookie tackles and Drew Lock.  It's just really hard to look past the obstacles that presents to rookie RBs, notwithstanding the competition at RB.  I think theres' too much recency effect going on with Penny inflating his perceived value, but he's still a lot more established than, say, Carter in NYJ by comparison.

Carter had some monster rb1 games last year in this offense. Breece should do the same. Sucks for Carter as he was electric with a good amount of touches but had the high ankle sprain. 

If Lock is the QB I agree, don't think he will be.

Also, I agree with Kiper in that I rate Walker higher than Hall.  Walker is a prototype runner for the NFL, Hall is not.

If Lock is the QB I agree, don't think he will be.

Also, I agree with Kiper in that I rate Walker higher than Hall.  Walker is a prototype runner for the NFL, Hall is not.
Hall is an all purpose back who can run and catch.

Walker is a 2-down back.

For FF purposes, Hall is likely to be a much better player, regardless of what Kiper says. 

Also, Kiper said Ryan Leaf was better than Peyton Manning.

Walker is a 2-down back.
I agree with you about Hall and Walker, but I'm also slightly bullish on Walker. Nobody has said he can't catch, and his high school tape apparently shows him doing just fine with that. It's that he didn't do it in college that might be concerning. But look at Johnathan Taylor. He catches passes for Indy just fine and that was his big knock coming out of college. 

Hall is an all purpose back who can run and catch.

Walker is a 2-down back.

Hall runs upright.  And is tall for a back.  Walker is essentially a prototype that is elite after contact, a key metric for NFL success.

Would not be surprised at all if Walker has the better career.

Carter had some monster rb1 games last year in this offense. Breece should do the same. Sucks for Carter as he was electric with a good amount of touches but had the high ankle sprain. 
Most (but not all) of his good weeks were 7-10 when Mike White was at QB. Rest of the year he was seemingly replaceable.

Hall measured at 5'11". That's perfect size. Walker was 5'9", which is also fine. 

Height really doesn't matter that much, though, unless you're outside of the bell curve -- and neither of them are. 
oh, my bad...I thought he was 6' 1"

no idea where I got that from

1.01 for me (and should be everyone out there) and its not even close. As a Seattle fan I could let my Homerism play a bit here, but I think the OL and scheme is much better in NY and he will be a 3 down back with Carter being COB/Breather 10 touches per game type.

People talk about walker being a high draft capital and why would Seattle would spend that.....Its Seattle we are talking about - their track record last few years has not been all that good - look at LJ Collier, Look at Penny, Look at Pocic, Look at Ifedi, See Eskridge - all players in recent years the Hawks took because they felt they were the smartest people in the room and ignored convention and have struggled for multiple years due to various reasons or just not great high draft capital worthy players.

Don't get me wrong, Walker is a special talent but with Penny still there, and with the possibility of Carson coming back plus you know they will add more FA Collins/Procise types to muddy the water its not ideal and I'd rather stake my claim on Hall especially year 1. Walker may in the long term be the better play if he has the backfield to himself, but I don't think Seattle lets that happen and there will always be RBBC elements there - its Carroll's MO to run the ball alot and they will have lots of RB's fresh to rotate in there. 

Just my .2c

I just listened to a podcast where the guy had London and Burks as his top 2 so who knows what people are thinking right now. 

PPR would be Hall and not close.  Non would still be Hall but significantly closer.  Jets offence is on the rise and I just don't see Seattle's getting better.  I do see a regression in Seattle and playing from behind a LOT.  

Hall is going #1 in 99% of serious drafts unless there are weird rules weighted towards WRs or obviously some 2 QB leagues, but even those will probably be Hall
Hall is an easy choice in rookie drafts. The poor landing spots for WR amplify this fact. 

Hall, from a talent lens, in previous NFL iterations would have gone much higher. He has no meaningful competition for bellcow work. With a true three down resume, he has a realistic chance of being a top 12-14 RB this year, even if the Jets remain toward the bottom of the league.

I just listened to a podcast where the guy had London and Burks as his top 2 so who knows what people are thinking right now. 
I would immediately unsubscribe from that podcast. Hall should be the No-brainer 1.01 dynasty selection in any format. 

I have 1.01 in one league (14 team SF) and Hall has been my choice since the combine. Him going to the Jets hasn't changed that. Have a Seahawks homer that is hot for Walker but he doesn't have the assets to make me move the pick.

Hall runs upright.  And is tall for a back.  Walker is essentially a prototype that is elite after contact, a key metric for NFL success.

Would not be surprised at all if Walker has the better career.
Possible. 

I liked a lot of what I saw of Walker’s tape.

I was more impressed by Hall.

I’m not the final authority on who will have the better career. Hall seems more likely to be a feature back.

maybe Walker will surprise & be a good receiver out of the backfield & be good in pass pro. 

BREECE HALL RB, NEW YORK JETS

The Athletic's Connor Hughes believes the Jets will use Breece Hall and Michael Carter as a one-two punch.

It makes sense that the Jets plan to continue to incorporate Carter. The 2021 fourth-round pick was a pleasant surprise as a rookie, to the point that Hall felt like a luxury pick. However, the Jets were never going to commit to him, with Hughes believing that the Jets "will deploy a running back by committee as long as Mike LaFleur is their offensive coordinator." This season Hughes expects Hall to start, with Carter spelling him. Hall has quickly settled in as the rookie 1.01, even in Superflex drafts. However, dynasty managers could be looking at low-end RB2 production in 2022 PPR leagues unless the Jets score more points than expected. 

SOURCE: Connor Hughes on Twitter

May 2, 2022, 10:05 AM ET

Is it unreasonable to ask for two first rd picks this year for the 1.01?   A couple teams in my league have 2 picks in the first rd.   Like 4 and 10 and another has 2 and 9 and yet another has 11 and 12.   I wouldnt mind gaining bodies rather than Hall.   My roster took a hit during the draft, R Moore and Chark got a swift kick in the berries.   I wouldnt care who they took at 1.01, Hall, Walker, London.   Just want more better players.

Is it unreasonable to ask for two first rd picks this year for the 1.01?   A couple teams in my league have 2 picks in the first rd.   Like 4 and 10 and another has 2 and 9 and yet another has 11 and 12.   I wouldnt mind gaining bodies rather than Hall.   My roster took a hit during the draft, R Moore and Chark got a swift kick in the berries.   I wouldnt care who they took at 1.01, Hall, Walker, London.   Just want more better players.
Not unreasonable and TBH you may be able to get more, Hall is the *clear* #1 in most drafts so I'd think there's a premium for that. I know there's no way I'd give up the 1.01 for two late 1st rounders. 4 and 10 seems close I guess, 2 and 9 may be tough to get but if the guy with the 2 loves Hall worth exploring. 

I got the 1.07 and 1.11 for my 1.03 (and a future 4th) - so yes it's possible.

FYI, I gave 1.12, 2.01, 2.05, Golladay for 1.01 (Hall).

I was league champ last year and still have a very strong team.

Not at all.. In fact, I would ask a little bit more in return.  Hall is clear-cut 1.01 in dynasty league.  FYI, I gave up Aaron Rodgers, Elijah Mitchell, 1.06, and 3.05 in exchange for 1.01.   (This occurred a month BEFORE NFL Draft.)

Users who are viewing this thread