What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Brian Robinson Jr. - WAS (1 Viewer)

Mark me down as a fan of his game. I passed on him in my rookie draft because of format/need considerations, but if I were still in 6-7 dynasty leagues then I'm sure I'd have a lot of shares. His film immediately stood out to me. For a big back, he has very good feet and hips. Runs on a swivel and can make a defender miss in space. Big backs with agility usually fare pretty well in the NFL. His speed isn't great, but 4.52 is plenty fast for his play style. He also appears to have some utility in the passing game as a checkdown option.

I see some negatives as well. 5th year senior, so he's a maxed out talent physically. He's a bit of a one speed player. Doesn't have a great north-south burst. Just okay in that category. Runs high and takes a lot of violent hits to his torso. Durability can be hard to predict, but he looks like a guy who is going to burn brightly and briefly. My guess is that he'll stumble into a starting opportunity at some point and then maybe give you 1-2 good seasons before it's curtains because of injuries and roster churn. With the way the league goes through RBs, you just can't rely on a guy unless he's special, and Robinson is not at the Lynch/Mixon/Barkley level.

If you want a comparison, Marion Barber III would be pretty similar in terms of body type, skill set, draft capital, and ceiling. You could also call Robinson a less talented version of Steven Jackson or Eddie George. Good pick by Washington. I think they got good value there. I have him ahead of Ty Davis-Price and Rachaad White. Big buyer at his rookie draft ADP.

The Athletic's Ben Standig writes that Brian Robinson could be an answer for Washington in goal-line or short-yardage situations.

"Often the rookie gets eased into such scenarios, but [Antonio] Gibson’s penchant for fumbles combined with Robinson’s ball security and interior running could flip this toward the Alabama alum." That's exactly what every Antonio Gibson manager was hoping to hear, we're sure. Gibson remains a high-risk lead back, while Robinson could potentially be part of an early committee in Washington. 

RELATED: 

Antonio Gibson

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 28, 2022, 5:34 PM ET

No pads but nice first impression.

-----------------------------------------------------

URGE @SurgeTheShooter

Brian Robinson doesn’t look like a rookie, he’s good he’s good right now Hitting the hole not overthinking and making all his catches out the backfield

I'm a Commanders fan and honestly, I would be open to Robinson getting the majority of the carries this year. The problem with Gibson is that he lead all NFL RBs last year in fumbles. So he came into this season KNOWING he had a fumble problem. Dropping the ball right from jump is not a good sign. If I'm a coach, I don't feel confident putting that dude in the game. I don't trust him. You may play him like last year if you don't have any other options but in the offseason they went out and got Robinson fairly early in the draft. In fact, I recall people roasting the Commanders for drafting a RB so early but now you see why they did it. Gibson has talent but I honestly would not be surprised if Robinson is the bell cow by season in, just cause you can't trust inserting GIbson in the game, when he can fumble it literally any play...

Cat's out of the bag. I can see him going in the RB30-40 range now...probably close to Gibson. This is getting close to giving the ball to the reliable guy that isn't too flashy but gets things done and makes positive plays for the football team, vs. the super talented raw athlete that can't play the RB position well...

My RBs are pretty abysmal. I basically only have 3 backup RBs on my roster. I traded Gibson in the off-season as part of a package to acquire Davante Adams. Really need one or both of Robinson Jr and Tyler Allgeier to hit as decent if not great starting options.

https://twitter.com/LateRoundQB
JJ Zachariason
https://twitter.com/LateRoundQB
@LateRoundQB

He looked really good. Gibson fumbled, too. Gibson’s ADP is going to continue to drop.
He did look good. The kind of running back that you can trust in all phases of the game and Riveria will appreciate that. He can get what is there, short yardage, finishes runs for extra yardage, catch the ball, and pass protect. He has good feet for a big man and he appears to make good reads at the line. Obviously he is not Chris Johnson but I always thought speed was a little overrated for running backs. Versatile backs that can get to the second level are valuable even if they are not going to be housing it.

I am not saying Gibson is Walter Payton, but I think there is a bit of an overreaction to say that after week one of the preseason a late 3rd round rookie is going to supplant a proven vet who has shined pretty brightly at times. Take away some work to keep him fresh, probably. Maybe even some valuable goal line work. But I think when this shakes out, Gibson will start and see 60+% of the carries. This seems like a typical preseason overreaction.

Highlight from his preseason carries.

I’m impressed.

Washington has the 4th easiest running back schedule.

With Gibson returning kicks, this pick screams value anywhere past the 7th or 8th round.

Highlight from his preseason carries.

I’m impressed.

Washington has the 4th easiest running back schedule.

With Gibson returning kicks, this pick screams value anywhere past the 7th or 8th round.

Robinson is another RB I'm targeting late in drafts.
Admittedly he is one of the rookies I know the least about, but the very little bit of tape I've watched seems encouraging.

He might possibly be a starting RB that you can depend on , that you can get very late in drafts.
Current Yahoo ADP has him at 122.6, which is pretty damn cheap to me.
Interestingly enough, Yahoo also listed him as "only" 14% drafted ........... which is almost certainly going to rise as the season approaches.

:football:

:blackdot: in at +10000 offensive rookie of the year (from 2 weeks ago)

Where'd you get that bet down.....?
Man I would have liked to pump a few hundred at that one. I rarely make bets, a handful of times a year.........but when I make one, I want it to be a big one in the event I DO* win.

Man I would have liked to pump a few hundred at that one. I rarely make bets, a handful of times a year.........but when I make one, I want it to be a big one in the event I DO* win.

Still think it's unlikely, but that was 2 weeks ago before all this new info came out.

Still think it's unlikely, but that was 2 weeks ago before all this new info came out.
Of course, but Gibson has looked poor all summer in the few reports I remember reading.
Its obviously an unlikely event, for several reasons and talent isn't necessarily it.

Winning these type of future bets often are skewed towards players on winning teams/playoff caliber organizations. Not always, but one thing is for sure, if you are on a big market , successful team you certainly have a better chance vs a similar type season on an extremely poor team.

Are the Redskins expecting to be a competent NFL team this year? :excited:
I live on the east coast so there are no shortage of Redskin, err Commanders fans where I'm at. Their fanbase is massive around me, but that team has been trash for years now.
Probably just another reason the odds were so long when @sheerterror got his bet down.
100-1 is nothing to sneeze at.

I live on the east coast so there are no shortage of Redskin, err Commanders fans where I'm at
I'm too old and this is stupid. The NFL team from Washington DC is called the Redskins and will always be. Moving on...
I'm old and yep it is stupid too, I agree.
Even all the "Redskins fans" I've known for decades think its stupid too.
But, there's a LOT of stupid things in today's world......so its hardly a surprise.
Is this the part where I say "kids get off my lawn"?, and someone calls me crotchety...... 😆

I live on the east coast so there are no shortage of Redskin, err Commanders fans where I'm at
I'm too old and this is stupid. The NFL team from Washington DC is called the Redskins and will always be. Moving on...
But, there's a LOT of stupid things in today's world......so its hardly a surprise.
Is this the part where I say "kids get off my lawn"?, and someone calls me crotchety...... 😆
Call me crotchety all you want, as long as you call me crotchet.... he.
Moving on - Brian Robinson has the perfect opportunity and needs to make the best of it. The Redskins are hunting for every reason to let BRob take over, so grab the bull by the horns and make this yours!

Of course, but Gibson has looked poor all summer in the few reports I remember reading.
Its obviously an unlikely event, for several reasons and talent isn't necessarily it.

Winning these type of future bets often are skewed towards players on winning teams/playoff caliber organizations. Not always, but one thing is for sure, if you are on a big market , successful team you certainly have a better chance vs a similar type season on an extremely poor team.

Are the Redskins expecting to be a competent NFL team this year? :excited:
I live on the east coast so there are no shortage of Redskin, err Commanders fans where I'm at. Their fanbase is massive around me, but that team has been trash for years now.
Probably just another reason the odds were so long when @sheerterror got his bet down.
100-1 is nothing to sneeze at.
The odds were so long because at the time Gibson was thought to be the starter - but even if Robinson does start he’s not nearly dynamic enough to beat out a long list of better prospects to win the award.
You’d basically be throwing away a couple of hundred dollars on a long shot - Vegas knows what they’re doing.

Call me crotchety all you want, as long as you call me crotchet.... he.
Moving on - Brian Robinson has the perfect opportunity and needs to make the best of it. The Redskins are hunting for every reason to let BRob take over, so grab the bull by the horns and make this yours!
Even if he does get the majority of carries, it’s hard to imagine Gibson totally goes away and McKisisc will still get most of the passing game work.

I have a few local bookies I utilize, so it's placed on credit. He was one of a few plays that were made with the biggest and most boring being Pickett at +900.
Never placing a 100-1 with the expectation of winning of course, but at the same time it was too valuable to pass up given the weak QB class (QB generally wins by default when they can justify it) and none of the highest drafted skill guys exactly flashing early on. Obviously happy Robinson's stock has gone up since then which shows in the price adjustment down to around +3000, but it doesn't mean anything.

Did Ron ever have CMC returning kicks? Nope. That does speak volumes to me.
Yeah that's not good news for Gibson. This is starting to sound a lot like Brandon Aiyuk situation from last season. Started off in the doghouse due to poor practices and stayed there for over half the season before emerging.

ESPN's John Keim writes that Brian Robinson "appears to have supplanted" Antonio Gibson as the Commanders "main runner."

It's possible that Gibson holds on to enough of this backfield to make everyone in it a hard start in fantasy, but Keim notes that Robinson is "consistent and always gets positive yards," which are words that presumably the coaching staff would not put on Gibson. This remains a tough backfield to handicap, but if Gibson continues to fall out of favor with the coaching staff, it would make sense for more of the workload to head towards Robinson.
- ESPN

I have a buddy who is a longtime Washington Whatever fan. The name changes drive him crazy and he refuses to accept the new name, thus I use it every chance I get. 😂

I have a buddy who is a longtime Washington Whatever fan. The name changes drive him crazy and he refuses to accept the new name, thus I use it every chance I get. 😂

They will always be the Redskins to me. Same with the San Diego Chargers. I've also adopted the habit of calling all video game consoles Nintendo. Getting old is surprisingly delightful.

Users who are viewing this thread