What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Cam Akers, MIN (1 Viewer)

Cam Akers rushed 10 times for 38 yards in the Rams' Week 10 win over the Seahawks.

It was an even split at running back coming out of the bye with Akers (10 touches), Malcolm Brown (8), and Darrell Henderson (8) all sprinkling in. There's some signs of fantasy life with the rookie, although he remains a wait-and-see player until the backfield trims to just two players. Brown and Henderson remain the best bets near the goal line, as they combined for all three of the Rams' touchdowns against the Seahawks. Akers is worthy of a pickup in 12-team leagues but can't be trusted in starting lineups.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
The Atheltic's Jourdan Rodrigue said "it would not be surprising to see" Cam Akers' rushing attempts "draw closer" to Darrell Henderson's. 

Rodrigue said Akers, fully recovered from the upper ribs/chest injury that kept him out for several weeks, is "likely" to take on a bigger role in the final seven weeks of the regular season. In Week 10 against Seattle, Akers had 10 rushes for 38 yards while Henderson saw six carries for 33 yards and two touchdowns. Malcolm Brown is expected to see most of the passing down duty, as he has for most of 2020. Akers and Henderson remain shaky, touchdown-dependent RB3 plays for Week 11 against Tampa. 

RELATED: 

Darrell Henderson

, Malcolm Brown

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Nov 19, 2020, 5:38 PM ET

Cam Akers might have a little bit of magic.  He doesn't go down easily.  He bounces off of defenders like Maurice Jones Drew.  He can cut and spin.  With Akers fully healthy and the Rams declaring that his role will increase, this week might be the week that Sean McVay starts the Cam Akers Experiment to see what happens when he touches the ball 20 times a game.  The experiment will end quickly if Akers fails at pass protection.  But he could also be a top-5 running back rest of season.  He is in a very running back friendly offense.  McVay has never supported Henderson as starter.  Malcolm Brown is JAG.

2019 Cam Akers Highlights

Cam Akers 2020 All Plays

Top 5 rest of season seems like hyperbole to me. I have both Akers and Henderson on my team and would love for that to be the case, but I just don't think the Rams are very good at run blocking, as much as they want to be a running offense.

Top 5 likely means all the Rb receptions and all the goal line work.  Seems about a.10 percent or lower chance of reaching that level.

would be happy if he were high end rb2

Cam Akers might have a little bit of magic.  He doesn't go down easily.  He bounces off of defenders like Maurice Jones Drew.  He can cut and spin.  With Akers fully healthy and the Rams declaring that his role will increase, this week might be the week that Sean McVay starts the Cam Akers Experiment to see what happens when he touches the ball 20 times a game.  The experiment will end quickly if Akers fails at pass protection.  But he could also be a top-5 running back rest of season.  He is in a very running back friendly offense.  McVay has never supported Henderson as starter.  Malcolm Brown is JAG.

2019 Cam Akers Highlights

Cam Akers 2020 All Plays
I like the way you think and hope you are right. I don't think he completely turns the offense over to Akers but I could see them reducing Brown's role which is all it would take for Akers to be fantasy relevant. Right now I view Akers as a high upside handcuff for either Brown or Henderson.

I flipped the last spot on my roster from "take care of next week's defense" to "Cam Akers lottery ticket." Seems to be about right.

I think this makes sense since HC McVay really wants to give every defensive opponent the same offensive package (either run or pass).  With Darrell Henderson, the defensive opponents know that Rams are likely to run.  With Malcolm Brown, it usually is pass.  With Akers, he can do both.  He just needs more reps to further his development.  

Cam Akers rushed five times for 15 yards and caught a four-yard touchdown in the Rams' Week 11 win over the Bucs.

Darrell Henderson paced the Rams with eight carries but managed just five yards on them while Malcolm Brown led the backfield with 20 rushing yards on just three carries. This three-man committee has rendered all three mostly useless and unplayable for fantasy ahead of a Week 12 date with the 49ers. Akers' touchdown catch was the first of his career and came on his third target of the season. Akers is just a bench stash RB3/4 until the Rams eliminate one of the three from the equation.

Nov 23, 2020, 11:57 PM ET

Looked slow on that play.
He's not all that fast and that was a terrible tackle attempt btw. A few plays before, Goff missed a wide open Henderson on a wheel route that might have been a TD. Funny how these things go.

This would be ok for fantasy if they'd just get Brown out of there. 

Looked slow on that play.
i kinda agree. it looked like he was running at 80% effort or something. it was a well blocked play but akers did make the safety miss. just got a share in a dynasty league and im hopefull he takes command of the backfield next year

Cam Akers is on the roll with 3rd straight TD.  He ran hard vs. Cardinals with 21 carries for 72 yards and 1 reception for 22 yards.  I hope this is harbinger of good things especially in FF playoff.  

Cam Akers was is on the roll with 3rd straight TD.  He ran hard vs. Cardinals with 21 carries for 72 yards and 1 reception for 22 yards.  I hope this is harbinger of good things especially in FF playoff.  
Agreed - sure would have been nice to see him convert on a couple more of those goal line carries though.

Seems he's getting a starter workload now for some reason, even though he's not very effective with a lot of his touches. Henderson busts a long TD and no one cares, unlike when Akers had his 61 yarder last week and is was "Akers SZN OMG!". We just want to anoint 'our guys' and everyone loves Akers it seems.

Yes, I'm still a salty Henderson owner who thinks he's better 🤣

Seems he's getting a starter workload now for some reason, even though he's not very effective with a lot of his touches. Henderson busts a long TD and no one cares, unlike when Akers had his 61 yarder last week and is was "Akers SZN OMG!". We just want to anoint 'our guys' and everyone loves Akers it seems.

Yes, I'm still a salty Henderson owner who thinks he's better 🤣
Henderson is clearly much better to me but I don't trust the rams to figure that out anytime soon.

Henderson is clearly much better to me but I don't trust the rams to figure that out anytime soon.
Clearly? I wouldn't say he is clearly better. I don't think any of them are very good. Hence the problem. But Akers brings a dimension the other two don't....you don't know whether it's a run or pass. I think it's clear Akers is going to be the guy going forward. 

Cam Akers saw seven carries inside the ten yard line in Week 13 against the Cardinals. 

The rookie led the Rams backfield with 21 rushing attempts for 72 yards and a touchdown against Arizona. His usage near the end zone could make him a weekly start for fantasy managers if it holds up. Trusting Rams head coach Sean McVay to continue feeding Akers seems laughable 13 weeks into the season, but Akers drafters will have a hard time benching him in Week 14 against New England. Darrell Henderson had just three totes against the Cardinals; he busted a long touchdown on one of those carries. Henderson has faded fast as the team's lead back. 

RELATED: 

Darrell Henderson

SOURCE: John Daigle on Twitter 

Dec 7, 2020, 10:14 AM ET

Henderson can't see holes developing... that's kind of a big deal in a zone blocking scheme. Akers has much better vision, and it's pretty obvious when you watch film and not the box scores.

His 38 yard cut back yesterday laughs at this remark. Henderson has a 4.54 ypc...Akers has a 4.46

Seems one guy does a lil better in this ZBS.

Film...lol Nah, I'll stick with performance results.
The defense played up in the box, and he won at the hole. He's fast. Awesome.

You can stick with whatever you want, but don't be shocked when Akers is getting the majority of snaps the rest of the season. 7 carries within the 10 yard line yesterday alone.

Its clear, eh?

Akers 22 touches 94 yards and a score

Henderson 5 touches 74 yards and a score.

One guy is more explosive and has shown it. To be a fantasy footballer and watch how the Rams use RBs and say its clear after mocking someone for saying "clearly" is kinda ironic is all.

I mean, the stats show it.
Yeah, 22 carries to 5 speaks volumes. Gurley wasn't explosive last year yet they still kept giving him the ball.

Not going to argue......keep Henderson. 

His 38 yard cut back yesterday laughs at this remark. Henderson has a 4.54 ypc...Akers has a 4.46

Seems one guy does a lil better in this ZBS.

Film...lol Nah, I'll stick with performance results.
If this is the case we'll probably see a lot more of Henderson in the coming weeks, though I doubt it. I have him in 2 dynasty leagues so I'm rooting hard, but don't think he'll ever be given the feature role where Akers has a decent shot at it. Hope I'm wrong.

Its clear, eh?

One guy is more explosive and has shown it. To be a fantasy footballer and watch how the Rams use RBs and say its clear after mocking someone for saying "clearly" is kinda ironic is all.

Last week Henderson had an explosive 10 carries for 19 yards. Akers was only able to eek out 84 yards on 9 carries including a 61 yard TD.

Yup last week, now do all season...dont cherry pick.

Who has more yards, better YPC, more catches more TDs...and on and on. 
Well Akers has missed 4 games due to injury so I would expect Henderson to have more compiler stats.  I have neither guy but watching Akers run yesterday he had much better vision and tackle breaking abilities than I have seen from Henderson.  Just what the eye test shows to me.  

I will be shocked if a lesser RB through 13 weeks gets the majority of the carries the rest of the way.
I dare you to plug Henderson in to your line-up for weeks 14-16.

I own both Henderson and Akers in re-draft and am considering dropping Henderson this week for a backup QB.

Cam Akers (shoulder) was listed as "DNP" for Los Angeles' practice estimation on Monday.

In short, Akers would not have participated if the Rams actually practiced. It could be rest-related after the rookie handled season-highs in snaps (63%), carries (21) and runs inside the 10-yard line (7) against the Cardinals. His participation at Wednesday's practice will be more telling ahead of the Rams' short turnaround against the Patriots.

SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter

Dec 7, 2020, 6:03 PM ET

Razors Edge said:
Its clear, eh?

"He had some really tough, hard-earned yards," McVay said. "You're seeing a really physical player that's got explosion."

Said Goff: "He can catch, he can run, he can do anything we want him to do and he had a great day."

Out of training camp, he earned the starting job ahead of Henderson and Brown.

At the start of the second half of the schedule, McVay said he trusted that Akers would have a "really good" remainder of the season.

Rotoworld:

Cam Akers (shoulder) will play Week 14 against the Patriots.

Akers was DNP Monday, limited Tuesday, and full Wednesday, paving the way for him to serve as the Rams' RB1 against New England. Trusting coach Sean McVay to stand by Akers as his backfield leader is risky business, but we have to treat Akers as an upside RB2 as a home favorite.

Dec 9, 2020, 5:32 PM ET

Its clear, eh?

i see a 2nd round rookie with 65% of the snaps and 72% of the looks in the last 6 quarters while neither of the other two RBs are on the injury report or missing practices. he's also getting a huge majority of the red zone work.

you really don't get more of a "bellcow's a comin" signal than that... 

Starting him in my fantasy fantasy playoffs this week (i.e. I didn't make the real fantasy playoffs but have the ability to select a starting lineup).

Man, I don't usually stress over TNF and setting my lineups, but now that it's win-or-go-home, I've taken Akers in and out of my lineup at least three times today, and now that M. Davis is starting this week, I've got one more guy to throw into the mix along with Zeke, Conner and Dobbins.

No, this is not a WDIS, I'm just #####in'.  Feels like I should just give each RB a few numbers, put up the dartboard, and give my two kids each a dart...  I'm sure people have won FF Championships with worse strategies, right?

Have him in over Drake, which is an easy choice for me, especially now that Drake just popped on the injury report.
Screw it!!  Let’s get on the train!! Starting over Hunt/Hines/Gurley

Hunt has underperformed since Chubb’s return.  He hasn’t got the volume in the passing game.  He has underperformed projections for the last few weeks.

Hines has been steady with projections with the occasional game where he goes off.  If he doesn’t go off, he has usually given 8-9 points.  I may regret this if he has a big game.

Gurley = Ugh

My man Cam has set season high fantasy points in each of the last three weeks.  Maybe the bottom falls out this week, but how many weeks do I want to wait???  Plus, if I’m rolling one of my only other options as my RB2 I’m accepting a sub 10 point outcome.  I want the ceiling...If he flops, I’m likely only out 10 points.  We aren’t looking at a stout run D (just average)...lets go for a 4th week of season high points and piss off my competition!

Users who are viewing this thread