What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (4 Viewers)

Not to mention he did not play in all the games and was not the starter for most the season.  It is ridiculous and shows incompetence.  No more AP to compete with, instead they have Jamaal Williams which will compliment him in an offense which will most definitely emphasize the run.  A RB who could easily project to 1500 total yards and not even worthy of a mention.  
:goodposting:

The injuries are already piling up. He's not the biggest guy. He missed the first part of last season with some sort of hip/leg injury and then later got a concussion. That's on top of the shoulder injury he got in college. 

He might be good this year in redraft but he just has a short term vibe about him in dynasty. :shrug:

Meanwhile his counterpart:

Antonio Gibson Rookie Year (3rd Rounder)

170 / 795 yards / 11 Touchdowns & 36 receptions / 247 yards / 0 Touchdowns (14 games)

Per game breakdown:

Swift: 9 carries per game / 40 rushing yards per game & 3.5 catches / 27 receiving yards (0.76 Touchdowns per game)
Gibson: 12 carries per game / 56 rushing yards per game & 2.5 catches / 18 receiving yards (0.78 Touchdowns per game)

I see Gibson universally touted as this elite prospect. Swift is right there and I think his receiving upside gives him Top 5 RB potential.
Hard to compare with Gibson because unlike Swift, he's pretty much got the backfield to himself.  Both have the talent, but Gibson (at least right now) has the better situation/opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
good fantasy RBs don't come from bad teams. Swift is up against it. Lions are awful. Downgrading the QB position from Stafford to Goff isn't ideal. 

first time HC, new coaching staff of mostly first timers at coordinator positions. Lions history of ineptitude being worse than the Jets at everything they do. Jets being the gold standard of stupidity and fecklessness.but Detroit tops them and has for decades.

I'll have no piece of the Lions in 2021.

good fantasy RBs don't come from bad teams. Swift is up against it. Lions are awful. Downgrading the QB position from Stafford to Goff isn't ideal. 

first time HC, new coaching staff of mostly first timers at coordinator positions. Lions history of ineptitude being worse than the Jets at everything they do. Jets being the gold standard of stupidity and fecklessness.but Detroit tops them and has for decades.

James Robinson says hi.

The Lions organization sucked for 60 years.  That changed when Sheila Ford Hemp took over last year.  Dan Campbell and Brad Holmes have put together an outstanding coaching staff, executed an excellent draft and are quietly building a damn good football team which is going to surprise people sooner rather than later.  

Fantasy Football Today: Julio Jones trade rumors, D'Andre Swift concerns and the latest from around the NFL

Excerpt:

Reason to be concerned about Swift?

Lions offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn recently did a sitdown interview with The Athletic's Chris Burke and Nick Baumgardner to discuss the addition of Jamaal Williams and how intends on using him alongside D'Andre Swift, and one quote in particular got a lot of attention in Fantasy circles. I'll just throw the full quote out there first so we're all on the same page:

"Jamaal is what I'd call a classic "A" back. I like to break the backs down into A and B. My "A" backs are normally my bigger backs. They can run between the tackles, block probably a little better than a "B" back, they can also run the perimeter. I can leave those guys in there for all three downs. My "B" back comes in, he's a guy that sometimes I want to use in space more. He's my speed-in-space guy. I feel like Jamaal would be an outstanding "A" back. I like his energy, I like his pad level and the way he runs the football between the tackles."

It kind of sounds like he views Williams as a lead back, doesn't it? But, of course, he's not necessarily drawing a direct comparison with Swift there, is he? He's just saying Williams profiles well as what he wants from a lead back. Except, later in the interview, he had this to say:  

"I don't see them as being interchangeable, I see them more as being complementary. Swift is more of a speed-space back; Jamaal can be more of a between-the-tackles and sometimes perimeter."

It sure sounds like Swift is the "B" back and Williams is the "A" back, but that doesn't mean Swift is going to be the complement to Williams, right? Am I in the bargaining stage right now?  

It's interesting that Lynn thinks so highly of Williams, and bodes well for his chances of continuing to be a viable Fantasy option in his own right. He's been a fringe starting option over the previous two seasons while playing alongside Aaron Jones in Green Bay, but Jones was, of course, the Fantasy star of the two. Williams played more than we might have wanted to see for Jones' sake, but he never really challenged Jones as the lead back. I would expect we see something similar from the Lions, with Swift in the Jones role. 

But it's interesting to consider the direct analogy to Lynn's coaching career: Swift as Austin Ekeler. That role worked out just fine for Ekeler, who feasted off a huge passing game role to emerge as an elite Fantasy RB the past two seasons in his own right. Swift showed off plenty of passing game chops as a rookie, and it's exciting to consider the possibility of him seeing an Ekeler-esque role in the passing game -- is 90 targets a realistic expectation? More? 

However, while that would be excellent, we'd prefer if Lynn viewed him as more of that complete, do-it-all back rather than pigeon holing him into an Ekeler role. Williams is a solid back, but it's hard not to see every carry that goes his way instead of Swift's as a likely win for the defense. And, given that this figures to be one of the worst offenses in the league, Swift ending up in a true timeshare might make it awfully tough for him to live up to his draft price -- his ADP since the draft at NFC is 19.2 overall, or RB12.  

That could be a fine price for Swift, but it might also be asking an awful lot of him to be as efficient as Ekeler as a pass catcher; Swift averaged 6.3 yards per target as a rookie, while Ekeler is at 8.0 for his career. And if Williams is really going to have a role alongside Swift, rather than behind him, it makes the math a bit harder to work for Swift.  

I'm not moving Swift down my rankings at this point, but I already had him down at RB17 before this interview. But I do want to keep a closer eye on Lynn's statements in the coming months as well as reports out of offseason workouts to see whether there's something here. 

Good fantasy RBs do not come from bad teams for the most part. Just looked at a study done on FantasyPros, IIRC. They found that running backs on good teams have a much more likely chance to score highly than backs on bad teams.

Actually, here it is. Mike Tagliere wrote the article. His is the block of text I've quoted after the link. The chart is his, as is the analysis. The reason I've provided the link is that he also does so for receivers and tight ends in the article. This is just about running backs.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/07/what-does-team-scoring-mean-to-fantasy-football/

July 10, 2010
Fantasy Pros

"The research behind this study goes through the last eight years of data on the top 36 running backs and wide receivers, top 24 quarterbacks, and top 12 tight ends, which gives us a rather large sample size of 288 running backs and wide receivers, 192 quarterbacks, and 96 tight ends. This is based on a per-game basis, as injuries can severely impact fantasy outcomes at year’s end. I’ve also eliminated those who played in less than four games, as that small of sample size can skew the final results. Let’s go position-by-position, as the results were significant at certain positions.

RUNNING BACKS

RB Finish  # of Players   Top 6 Off.  Top 12 Off.  Top 18 Off.  Top 24 Off.  Bottom 10

Top-6             48                39.6%          70.8%         85.4%         95.8%          6.3%

Top- 12          96                32.3%          60.4%         76.0%         90.6%        11.4%

Top-18         144                29.2%          52.8%         70.1%         86.8%          8.8%

Top-24         192                24.0%          44.3%          64.1%         81.3%          23.4%

Top-30         240                 22.5%        42.9%           62.5%         80.4%          23.8%

Top-36         288                 22.9%        43.4%          62.2%          80.6%          25.0%

This chart tells a story, and it’s that team-scoring matters a lot to running backs. Let’s do the math here: There are 32 teams in the NFL. The top-12 teams make up just 37.5 percent of the league, yet somehow, 70.8 percent of top-six running backs have come from those teams. To simplify the information, a running back is twice as likely to finish as a top-six running back if he’s on a top-12 scoring offense.

Christian McCaffrey was the third player in the last eight years to finish as a top-six running back while on a team outside the top-18 in scoring, highlighting just how unrepeatable that season is/was. Him and Saquon Barkley are the only players over the last three years who’ve been able to crack the top-six while on a team that’s outside the top-15 scoring teams. Bottom line – if you’re looking for breakout elite production, start scoping out the high-scoring teams.

Even moving beyond the elite tier of running backs and extending it to the top-12 at the position, we say top-12 scoring offenses (again, just 37.5 percent of the league) produce 60.4 percent of the RB1s. If you can predict which teams will finish top-12 in scoring, you can likely identify which running backs should be in your first few rounds. Of the 96 running backs who’ve been RB1s over the last seven years, just 11 of them have come from bottom-10 scoring offenses. Players going near RB1 territory who I’m concerned about because of this include Austin Ekeler, Le’Veon Bell, Leonard Fournette, Melvin Gordon, and Josh Jacobs.

The primary takeaway from running backs is that team-scoring absolutely matters, and it should factor into your drafting process. If you know a running back is extremely talented but on a horrible offense, you must understand that it’s very unlikely he finishes inside RB1 territory, and even more rare for him to finish top-six at his position. A 6.3 percent chance, to be clear. If you’re on the clock and are left deciding between two running backs, go with the one who has the better quarterback, as his offense is likely to score more points. This process helped us find Aaron Jones and Chris Carson last year." - Mike Tagliere

Good fantasy RBs do not come from bad teams for the most part. Just looked at a study done on FantasyPros, IIRC. They found that running backs on good teams have a much more likely chance to score highly than backs on bad teams.

Actually, here it is.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/07/what-does-team-scoring-mean-to-fantasy-football/

The research behind this study goes through the last eight years of data on the top 36 running backs and wide receivers, top 24 quarterbacks, and top 12 tight ends, which gives us a rather large sample size of 288 running backs and wide receivers, 192 quarterbacks, and 96 tight ends. This is based on a per-game basis, as injuries can severely impact fantasy outcomes at year’s end. I’ve also eliminated those who played in less than four games, as that small of sample size can skew the final results. Let’s go position-by-position, as the results were significant at certain positions.

RUNNING BACKS

RB Finish  # of Players      T-6 Off.   T-12 Off.   T-18 Off.  T-24 Off.  Bottom-10

Top-6             48                39.6%      70.8%       85.4%          95.8%         6.3%

Top- 12          96                32.3%      60.4%      76.0%          90.6%          11.4%

Top-18         144                 29.2%     52.8%      70.1%         86.8%           18.8%

Top-24         192                24.0%      44.3%      64.1%        81.3%           23.4%

Top-30         240                 22.5%       42.9%      62.5%        80.4%          23.8%

Top-36         288                 22.9%       43.4%      62.2%        80.6%          25.0%

This chart tells a story, and it’s that team-scoring matters a lot to running backs. Let’s do the math here: There are 32 teams in the NFL. The top-12 teams make up just 37.5 percent of the league, yet somehow, 70.8 percent of top-six running backs have come from those teams. To simplify the information, a running back is twice as likely to finish as a top-six running back if he’s on a top-12 scoring offense.

Christian McCaffrey was the third player in the last eight years to finish as a top-six running back while on a team outside the top-18 in scoring, highlighting just how unrepeatable that season is/was. Him and Saquon Barkley are the only players over the last three years who’ve been able to crack the top-six while on a team that’s outside the top-15 scoring teams. Bottom line – if you’re looking for breakout elite production, start scoping out the high-scoring teams.

Even moving beyond the elite tier of running backs and extending it to the top-12 at the position, we say top-12 scoring offenses (again, just 37.5 percent of the league) produce 60.4 percent of the RB1s. If you can predict which teams will finish top-12 in scoring, you can likely identify which running backs should be in your first few rounds. Of the 96 running backs who’ve been RB1s over the last seven years, just 11 of them have come from bottom-10 scoring offenses. Players going near RB1 territory who I’m concerned about because of this include Austin Ekeler, Le’Veon Bell, Leonard Fournette, Melvin Gordon, and Josh Jacobs.

The primary takeaway from running backs is that team-scoring absolutely matters, and it should factor into your drafting process. If you know a running back is extremely talented but on a horrible offense, you must understand that it’s very unlikely he finishes inside RB1 territory, and even more rare for him to finish top-six at his position. A 6.3 percent chance, to be clear. If you’re on the clock and are left deciding between two running backs, go with the one who has the better quarterback, as his offense is likely to score more points. This process helped us find Aaron Jones

and Chris Carson last year.
Good fantasy backs do come from bad teams if that back can catch and is in ppr. If you have a ppr back on a bad team they can be great. 

Good data from Rock above. I don't expect top 6 from Swift, but also don't think Detroit will be bottom 10 in scoring. Their offensive line was 13th last year by PFF and should be better in 2021 with Sewell. Goff isn't terrible, especially when given time. Swift will be a challenge to grade come draft time.

Actually, here it is.

The research behind this study goes through the last eight years of data on the top 36 running backs and wide receivers, top 24 quarterbacks, and top 12 tight ends, which gives us a rather large sample size of 288 running backs and wide receivers, 192 quarterbacks, and 96 tight ends. This is based on a per-game basis, as injuries can severely impact fantasy outcomes at year’s end. I’ve also eliminated those who played in less than four games, as that small of sample size can skew the final results. Let’s go position-by-position, as the results were significant at certain positions.

RUNNING BACKS

RB Finish  # of Players      T-6 Off.   T-12 Off.   T-18 Off.  T-24 Off.  Bottom-10

Top-6             48                39.6%      70.8%       85.4%          95.8%         6.3%

Top- 12          96                32.3%      60.4%      76.0%          90.6%          11.4%

Top-18         144                 29.2%     52.8%      70.1%         86.8%           18.8%

Top-24         192                24.0%      44.3%      64.1%        81.3%           23.4%

Top-30         240                 22.5%       42.9%      62.5%        80.4%          23.8%

Top-36         288                 22.9%       43.4%      62.2%        80.6%          25.0%

The primary takeaway from running backs is that team-scoring absolutely matters, and it should factor into your drafting process. If you know a running back is extremely talented but on a horrible offense, you must understand that it’s very unlikely he finishes inside RB1 territory, and even more rare for him to finish top-six at his position. A 6.3 percent chance, to be clear. If you’re on the clock and are left deciding between two running backs, go with the one who has the better quarterback, as his offense is likely to score more points. This process helped us find Aaron Jones and Chris Carson last year. - Mike Tagliere
This is great work rockaction thanks for sharing. Something I have wondered about at times but never bothered to dig into further. Thanks for doing that.

This is great work rockaction thanks for sharing. Something I have wondered about at times but never bothered to dig into further. Thanks for doing that.
Hey Biabreakable, I just found the article. Mike Tagliere of Fantasy Pros wrote it and compiled all the data. I'll make it more prominent up front. He's credited at the end.

eta* By" just found" it, I mean I read it what feels like ages ago. I just didn't add anything to his text or data. That's apparent now.

Hey Biabreakable, I just found the article. Mike Tagliere of Fantasy Pros wrote it and compiled all the data. I'll make it more prominent up front. He's credited at the end.
Ah I have read his work before!  Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

In regards to Swift where do we think the Detriot offense might be in 2021?

Ah I have read his work before!  Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

In regards to Swift where do we think the Detriot offense might be in 2021?
Bottom 10.  Maybe bottom 5.

Better than Houston.  Chicago if Dalton starts all year, NE if Cam starts all year, Jets with all their rooks...Detroit is in that group.

Bottom 10.  Maybe bottom 5.

Better than Houston.  Chicago if Dalton starts all year, NE if Cam starts all year, Jets with all their rooks...Detroit is in that group.
I don't know if they will be that bad. The north did not play good defense last season at all and I don't know if that is going to change much.

Just looking at some basic defensive and offensive stats Detroit was dead last in points allowed tied for last in yards per play allowed and the most 1st downs allowed.

Under these circumstances Detroit was 20th in points scored, 15th in yards per play 17th in first downs by passing and 8th in first downs by running. So a middle of the road offense.

Although Detroits defense will likely again be bad I don't know that it will be the worst again in 2021 and any improvement on that side of the ball should enable them to at least be an average offense I would think.

I don't know if they will be that bad. The north did not play good defense last season at all and I don't know if that is going to change much.
They may not be.  Ultimately the crux of how good an offense the Lions have will come down to how much Goff actually relied on McVay to read the defense and get them in the right play.  I'm of the opinion that Goff is a doofus and is going to fail horribly without that OC in his ear until :15 on the play clock.  If I'm wrong, they could be middle of the pack with a strong run game and play action passing.

They may not be.  Ultimately the crux of how good an offense the Lions have will come down to how much Goff actually relied on McVay to read the defense and get them in the right play.  I'm of the opinion that Goff is a doofus and is going to fail horribly without that OC in his ear until :15 on the play clock.  If I'm wrong, they could be middle of the pack with a strong run game and play action passing.
I added some information to my post above as far as where Detroit was as a defense and offense last season.

There are a lot of changes here though and I for one and not sure that Goff is an improvement over Stafford. I kind of doubt that he is. So that might be a downgrade.

I added some information to my post above as far as where Detroit was as a defense and offense last season.

There are a lot of changes here though and I for one and not sure that Goff is an improvement over Stafford. I kind of doubt that he is. So that might be a downgrade.
Yep, my opinion is HUGE downgrade, along with a significant downgrade at WR.  O Line is better, so running game should be as well.  But again if Goff is as bad as I think they will be awful.  If he's quite a bit better than I think, they could be as good as mediocre.

RB Finish  # of Players   Top 6 Off.  Top 12 Off.  Top 18 Off.  Top 24 Off.  Bottom 10

Top-6             48                39.6%          70.8%         85.4%         95.8%          6.3%

Top- 12          96                32.3%          60.4%         76.0%         90.6%        11.4%
Good stuff, but as a poker player I'm telling you those %s are huge.

So ~1/16 bottom 10 teams (6.3%) will have a top 6 RB if I'm reading this right. So perhaps every 3 seasons there will be 2 of these RBs. 

If our expectations are tempered and we'd be happy with a top 12 finish then that is 1/9 (11.4%) so 1 relevant top 12 RB every year. That doesn't seem as ####ty to me as the article implies. Not great but one RB1 every year. And 2 or 3 (total) that are top 24. 

I almost always favor better offenses when deciding between what I consider to be similar RBs. And if it is a truly crappy offense I often avoid, so it isn't like I disagree with the take here. But Swift is going to get 90+ targets. He has massive top 12 upside. And there is no lock that Detroit is a bottom 10 offense.

Yep, my opinion is HUGE downgrade, along with a significant downgrade at WR.  O Line is better, so running game should be as well.  But again if Goff is as bad as I think they will be awful.  If he's quite a bit better than I think, they could be as good as mediocre.
I was surprised to find that Detroit had the 8th most first down rushing the ball last season. I think that is a promising sign for Swift.

I tend to agree with you though that the QB and WR play wont be as good even though Golladay only played in 5 games last season, they did lose Marvin Jones who led their team in targets last year.

I almost always favor better offenses when deciding between what I consider to be similar RBs. And if it is a truly crappy offense I often avoid, so it isn't like I disagree with the take here. But Swift is going to get 90+ targets. He has massive top 12 upside. And there is no lock that Detroit is a bottom 10 offense.
Yes to all of these. I was just weighing in on the side debate. James Robinson was RB4 Wks 1-16 last year in Half PPR. It happens.

Certainly a lot of question marks. New regime, new QB, cleared out all the talent from the WR room. Two journeyman on the outside and a 4th round rookie in the slot. Goff has been to more Pro Bowls than Stafford and won 3 playoff games in four years; 0 in twelve for Matthew. But everyone is convinced he’ll never play well again.

Strengths: Top 10 line with elite talent (3 first rounders), Hock, and Swift. #32 should see 80-90 targets and they’re committed to the run game, defense a/b improved but they’ll be playing from behind most weeks. I’m thinking 250-275 touches, and he can do a lot with his share of the load.

I’m hoping Jamaal gets 110-130 carries and catches 25-35 balls. He’s a good all around back and has a role.

Def two years away from being ready to fight for a playoff spot, Detroit is the most complete ongoing rebuild in the league. Not expecting them to compete but want to see them be a tough out.

Yes to all of these. I was just weighing in on the side debate. James Robinson was RB4 Wks 1-16 last year in Half PPR. It happens.
Ironically enough one of the reasons I wasn't shy about blowing much of my WW budget on Robinson right before week 1 last year was because of how much I believed in a "better" Jax offense. Pfffft

It probably warrants a thread of it's own: RB's from good Offenses vs RB's from bad Offenses.

There is definitely fodder here: good TEAM vs good OFFENSE.  I think Cincy will radically improve, and I think once Burrow was lost Mixon was also "lost" so I am targeting Mixon cheap this year.  They won't be a good TEAM but will be a good O.  Chargers might be @ .500 but I want Ekeler.  Aaron Jones is the poster child.  WITH ARod he's top 8 or 9ish.  Without ARod he's....what, low end RB2?

Certainly a lot of question marks. New regime, new QB, cleared out all the talent from the WR room. Two journeyman on the outside and a 4th round rookie in the slot. Goff has been to more Pro Bowls than Stafford and won 3 playoff games in four years; 0 in twelve for Matthew. But everyone is convinced he’ll never play well again.

Strengths: Top 10 line with elite talent (3 first rounders), Hock, and Swift. #32 should see 80-90 targets and they’re committed to the run game, defense a/b improved but they’ll be playing from behind most weeks. I’m thinking 250-275 touches, and he can do a lot with his share of the load.

I’m hoping Jamaal gets 110-130 carries and catches 25-35 balls. He’s a good all around back and has a role.

Def two years away from being ready to fight for a playoff spot, Detroit is the most complete ongoing rebuild in the league. Not expecting them to compete but want to see them be a tough out.
Thanks BL. Great to hear the home town perspective as you would know better than most of us.

I was thinking about this some more and I haven't looked up stats on this, but the Rams offense was at its best in large part because of them signing Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan who are excellent pass protectors. Sullivan retired and they also let Saffold go in free agency and those downgrades along with Gurley not being his former self definitely had an effect on Goffs performance compared to prior to that.

I was thinking about this some more and I haven't looked up stats on this, but the Rams offense was at its best in large part because of them signing Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan who are excellent pass protectors. Sullivan retired and they also let Saffold go in free agency and those downgrades along with Gurley not being his former self definitely had an effect on Goffs performance compared to prior to that.
The decline of Gurley (2018-19 NFCCG onward) pretty much mirrors Goff going from young 2x Pro Bowler leading his team to the SB to looking fairly average. The popular narrative last season and this off-season is he only succeeded bc McVay would give him the read before the headset mic cuts out (15 seconds on the play clock.) Once DCs figured that out they started to disguise their looks and shifting late to confuse #16. 

People acting like Jared is a no talent who won’t have a starting job after this year. He made very few splash plays last year. If you do a search on stathead.com (sorry no linky - subscription only) of QB plays over 40 yards last year, you’ll find not only did Goff have WAY LESS big plays, his percentage of big plays that were mostly YAC (short pass the WR turned into a long gainer) was much higher. He definitely lost his swagger over the last few years.

Is the reason bc he’s just not very good? That seems to be consensus rn. I’d venture that trading Cooks - who was often playing hurt in 2019 - also had a big effect. At any rate, whether he’s talented or not, the WR position group is a huge downgrade for him and for that reason alone it might be hard to see him excel the way he did in 2017 & 2018. There’s no alpha there atm; couple veteran journeymen, a 5th round second year guy who is thoroughly average, and a 4th round rookie who was the 17th WR off the board.

I know it’s the Swift thread but making a call on how effective Goff and the Lions offense will be in 2021 is a big part of the equation in trying to evaluate him. I think 1400 & 8 with 75 receptions is well within this range of outcomes. But there’s def a range of outcomes and I can see why people might not want him as their RB2 this year.

I’m buying but I’m the eternal optimist about the Lions.

There is a really stupid little tidbit that has given me pause on Goff every since I came across it on Hard Knocks a couple years ago. They asked him whether the sun set in the west or the east and he didn't know. It's not that big a deal and I imagine lots of people nowadays don't know (that is sad), but the guy grew up in coastal California FFS. I've more or less hated him ever since. It's not fair but it's the truth.

There is a really stupid little tidbit that has given me pause on Goff every since I came across it on Hard Knocks a couple years ago. They asked him whether the sun set in the west or the east and he didn't know. It's not that big a deal and I imagine lots of people nowadays don't know (that is sad), but the guy grew up in coastal California FFS. I've more or less hated him ever since. It's not fair but it's the truth.
Wouldn't hire him to manage my Wendy's franchise!!

:lmao:

Guy had a 36 on the Wonderlic and went to Cal-Berkeley

That is funny tho

Guy had a 36 on the Wonderlic and went to Cal-Berkeley

That is funny tho
lol yeah I remember hearing that as well. Actually I remember several times watching games thinking I was wrong about him since then. I think he can bounce back in Detroit and agree the OL there is ready to help him do so.

Still, 36 isn't really anything special IMO, he majored in Sociology and didn't graduate*, and McVay was giving him the read 15 seconds before the mic cut off? Didn't know the sun sets in the west in California? Oy.

*I'm just kidding about that point, it's just funny to say it that way - true take without snark is I think he is better than people think. We'll see. I don't think he can be so bad that I'm worried about what will happen with Swift for FF. I think Swift is going too cheap right now so all I really see with Goff re:Swift is upside with a nice floor.

lol yeah I remember hearing that as well. Actually I remember several times watching games thinking I was wrong about him since then. I think he can bounce back in Detroit and agree the OL there is ready to help him do so.

Still, 36 isn't really anything special IMO, he majored in Sociology and didn't graduate*, and McVay was giving him the read 15 seconds before the mic cut off? Didn't know the sun sets in the west in California? Oy.

*I'm just kidding about that point, it's just funny to say it that way - true take without snark is I think he is better than people think. We'll see. I don't think he can be so bad that I'm worried about what will happen with Swift for FF. I think Swift is going too cheap right now so all I really see with Goff re: Swift is upside with a nice floor.
If we're going with Wonderlic scores & alma mater as a tiebreaker, we'll be taking Fitz as our QB1 and Wentz as the backup.

Among 2020 RB class: 

• 30 - A.J. Dillon, Boston College
  • 21 = Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin
  • 21 = Clyde Edwards-Hellaire, LSU
  • 17 = D’Andre Swift, Georgia
  • 16 = J.K. Dobbins, Ohio State 

• 12 = Antonio Gibson, Memphis
My Wonderlic (took it for a job interview back in 2008) is in the 99th percentile, but common sense/street smarts wise I'm pretty much a box of rocks.

It's a terrible measure of success in the NFL, at best it might tell you a guy is functionally illiterate and might struggle with learning playbooks and systems (CJ Spiller and Vince Young come to mind.) Or identify a learning disability (Frank Gore.) Lots of guys with very average scores are incredible players. Brady, Rodgers, Stafford all had high scores (33/35/38), surprisingly Peyton was only 28. Very low correlation IME. 

barackdhouse said:
Yeah that is ignorance on a level similar to that Miss America response about geography in 2007.

I don't remember that. I do remember hearing Greg Williams telling Jeff Fisher that Goffs throw looked like an NFL throw and I thought to myself, with these coaches he is doomed.

barackdhouse said:

Let's be clear. Stupidity or lack of common sense is widespread/not just on the West Coast, and is found littered all across the USA.     

Actually, in today's world, lets call it "lack of rudimentary intelligence".     😉 

All that said, you would think most NFL- ers know where the sun sets.   Maybe he's not part of the "most" I'm referring to.

TZM

Let's be clear. Stupidity or lack of common sense is widespread/not just on the West Coast, and is found littered all across the USA.     

Actually, in today's world, lets call it "lack of rudimentary intelligence".     😉 

All that said, you would think most NFL- ers know where the sun sets.   Maybe he's not part of the "most" I'm referring to.

TZM
I am thinking he maybe just had a brain fart at that moment which can happen to anybody.

I got interviewed by Balky yesterday for a pod that should release later this week and we talked about Hockenson/Swift/Goff a little bit. I'll tell you right now it isn't riveting. But we do talk Swift. And not Gibson BTW. 

I could see buggering that East/West thing if my father hadn't repeated it incessantly since I was a child. Thank God he didn't transpose East and West like I always do. Can you imagine blurting out, with certainty, "The sun rises in the West and sets in the East"?

And the Wonderlic is hard. I've taken it. It's like the ASVAB. I sorta (sorta and just for comparison's sake) killed the LSAT and GRE, too, and found the Wonderlic much harder because it tests landed wisdom, and I didn't have much of that growing up as a child of the new curriculum in the '70s. The Wonderlic, of the three, was the most humbling. It's a weird thing. Scored all over the place on the ASVAB, too, IIRC, which is a weirder test of speed and older knowledge as well.

D'ANDRE SWIFT RB, DETROIT LIONS

Lions OC Anthony Lynn said he's going to "ride the hot hand at running back" on gameday. 

"If you go in the game and you’re ballin’, you’re gonna stay in there," Lynn said. It's another knock against D'Andre Swift's outlook as the sophomore hasn't had a single piece of news favor him this offseason; even Lynn's "three-down back" comment from February can be thrown out since he said that before Jamaal Williams was signed in free agency. With Todd Gurley inevitably inking as the team's No. 3 back in the coming weeks, Swift, Best-Ball's RB16-20 dependent on the site, obviously has multiple hills to climb to reach his (or any) ceiling.

RELATED: 

Jamaal Williams

SOURCE: Chris Burke on Twitter

Jun 3, 2021, 12:07 PM ET

Moody @EricNMoody

D'Andre Swift had the 4th highest Fantasy Points Per Opportunity (1.11) among RBs last season. He was very effective last season when provided 10 or more opportunities. No need for Lynn to complicate things.
https://twitter.com/ericnmoody/status/1400500524860985349?s=21

Chris Burke @ChrisBurkeNFL

Anthony Lynn says he's going to ride the hot hand at RB. "If you go in the game and you’re ballin’, you’re gonna stay in there."
https://twitter.com/chrisburkenfl/status/1400479789434163206?s=21

Users who are viewing this thread