What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (3 Viewers)

They are a bad team, basically. See Josh Jacobs with the Raiders this year, Najee Harris with the Steelers.

But, time waits for nobody, especially NFL running backs.
Unfortunately/fortunately I have both Henry and Jacobs. Only have to start 1 of them this week, but have been flipping a coin all week. With a backup qb in LV, I am tempted to play Jacobs as them may feed him this week.

Currently benching Henry for Mostert and JCook. Am I nuts?
Thinking of sitting him for Kelley, that turf toe concerns me, want to see him get a full work load again. Don’t like the game script for tomorrow with tennesse chasing points
Don't overthink this. Henry is the Titans best player. Kelley stinks.

Yeah, take it from somebody who started Kelley the last two weeks. Doing what you are saying you are thinking of will result in a bad time.

In other words, "Kelley touched me too".

Currently benching Henry for Mostert and JCook. Am I nuts?
Thinking of sitting him for Kelley, that turf toe concerns me, want to see him get a full work load again. Don’t like the game script for tomorrow with tennesse chasing points
Don't overthink this. Henry is the Titans best player. Kelley stinks.
Raiders without Jimmy G, no brainer over this corpse. If he doesn’t have turf toe, 11 touches won’t get it done

Well, my dynasty team is 1-3 and Henry is my RB1. Might be a good opportunity to sell high. :(

But he's been my RB1 for so long. I don't want to let my sweet prince go.

Well, my dynasty team is 1-3 and Henry is my RB1. Might be a good opportunity to sell high. :(

don't know your roster but with the RB landscape the way it is it seems like the perfect time to deal him. Wait too long and you get nothing...seen it too many times.

I'm wondering for redraft if now is time to buy....love the idea of getting a bell cow but I just hate the qb situation and how it's killing the offense. I think I'd need to look at strength of schedule from here on out because I think that could be a big factor for him...

don't know your roster but with the RB landscape the way it is it seems like the perfect time to deal him. Wait too long and you get nothing...seen it too many times.

I'm wondering for redraft if now is time to buy....love the idea of getting a bell cow but I just hate the qb situation and how it's killing the offense. I think I'd need to look at strength of schedule from here on out because I think that could be a big factor for him...
They do play the texans twice during fantasy playoffs, depending on league schedule of course

They do play the texans twice during fantasy playoffs, depending on league schedule of course
I expect Demeco to suit up at halftime if he has to and there's no way he gets another 200 against them 😊

Henry and Spears are their best offensive weapons at the moment. They gotta make the pass game at least respectable to open the lanes up for them (which in turn helps the pass game). TEN also has a very decent looking schedule post-bye and into the fantasy playoffs.

Many quotes this week where Vrabel is saying we have to continue to use Henry.
I don't understand why you would not drive the wheels off this guy.
Yeah.
There were a lot of furious fans week one, Vrabel having to say he'd be a big part of offense moving forward then good week two, then barely used week three and like the OC poked a hornets nest. Vrabel reassured everyone again. Week four, good usage...and now we're onto week five.

We will all know when Henry hits a wall. There's zero need to push that issue. Ride him while ya can

Any chance Henry gets traded? Feel like the Titans are better to move on to Spears and try to get something for Henry while they can, but I know very little about the team/Henry's contract.

Any chance Henry gets traded? Feel like the Titans are better to move on to Spears and try to get something for Henry while they can, but I know very little about the team/Henry's contract.
I've read a few rumors about potential trades involving Derek Henry. Browns and Bucs seem like the main candidates. Could just be smoke, but enough for me to reconsider trying to trade him. The Browns would be a fantastic fit.

I've read a few rumors about potential trades involving Derek Henry. Browns and Bucs seem like the main candidates. Could just be smoke, but enough for me to reconsider trying to trade him. The Browns would be a fantastic fit.
I've got both Henry and Spears and feel like a trade would help them both fantasy-wise.

Seems the drumbeat is getting louder that Henry may actually get traded before the deadline. Has a $16.3M cap hit so not sure if that will be a huge roadblock or not, unless Tennessee pays some of that themselves. I thought they should have just done it already before the season started b/c they didn't look like a very good team to begin with and thought they were doing a soft sorta rebuild. But then they signed Deandre Hopkins. An organization I have a hard time figuring out what the philosophy is.

I don't know why Vrabel doesn't just ride him, as in year's past. Unless he's saving it for the colder months?
Despite the inefficiency so far, no secret that the more carries he gets, the better he gets.
I know they were up against the clock but not having him in that last drive last week vs. Bal when they got to inside the 5 seems crazy! He had been heating up in that 3rd quarter.

Seems the drumbeat is getting louder that Henry may actually get traded before the deadline. Has a $16.3M cap hit so not sure if that will be a huge roadblock or not, unless Tennessee pays some of that themselves. I thought they should have just done it already before the season started b/c they didn't look like a very good team to begin with and thought they were doing a soft sorta rebuild. But then they signed Deandre Hopkins. An organization I have a hard time figuring out what the philosophy is.
Question, because I honestly do not know, but is the cap hit prorated?

What do you mean exactly? They do like accounting to usually make the cap hits bigger for the latter years of a contract.

Not sure if it answers your question, but the only way to make this cap hit better would be to restructure his deal. Something I'm not sure anyone would be willing to do since next year is his age 30 season (and a much more palatable cap hit at $4.7M

What do you mean exactly? They do like accounting to usually make the cap hits bigger for the latter years of a contract.

Not sure if it answers your question, but the only way to make this cap hit better would be to restructure his deal. Something I'm not sure anyone would be willing to do since next year is his age 30 season (and a much more palatable cap hit at $4.7M
If henry's deadcap is 16MIL this year, would it only be 8MIL if we was traded 1/2 way through the season?

If henry's deadcap is 16MIL this year, would it only be 8MIL if we was traded 1/2 way through the season?
Per Spotrac, his dead cap hit is actually $20.6M. Pretty sure Tennessee would have to help out by paying him a portion of this year's salary to make a trade happen. But I'm not great with how these things play out overall.

It could be negotiated as such but there is nothing guaranteeing Team B pays X while Titans pay Y.

I think the real question is, what's the most logical landing spot for Henry if he were to be traded? I'm having trouble making it makes sense for any of the teams out there.

Rams? Do they have the cap space?
Cleveland? Seem content with Ford and Hunt. Playoff chances fading.
Ravens? Honestly, never know what's going on with that backfield.
Green Bay? Is Aaron Jones busted for good?
AZ? Seems like a lost season for them.
Houston? Pierce has the talent but has underperformed.

I think the real question is, what's the most logical landing spot for Henry if he were to be traded? I'm having trouble making it makes sense for any of the teams out there.

IMO it would be to a contender of sorts or someone that is fighting to get into the playoffs

Steeler seem like a decent idea
Ravens for sure seem possible, they love adding vets to their roster
Chiefs? Probably not, but that would not be fun to face that offense with Henry on it.

Its a limited amount of teams for sure.

IMO it would be to a contender of sorts or someone that is fighting to get into the playoffs

Chiefs? Probably not, but that would not be fun to face that offense with Henry on it.

Exactly. Needs to be a contender that needs RB help. Not many options out there.

Exactly. Needs to be a contender that needs RB help. Not many options out there.
Yeah, They are just, in my opinion, a poorly run franchise.

With regard to the cap situation, suppose he is traded next week since it is already Thursday:
  • The Titans will take a total 2023 dead cap hit of $5.37M and a total 2024 dead cap hit of $4.74M
  • Salary is paid out over 18 weeks, so 7/18 of his salary ($4.08M) would remain on the Titans 2023 cap
  • The team trading for him would be responsible for 11/18 of his salary ($6.4M) and the cap hit for his rushing yards incentive ($500K) against their 2023 cap... so, just under $7M
    • If he doesn't reach that incentive (1300 rushing yards), that team would get a $500K credit on its 2024 cap

With regard to the cap situation, suppose he is traded next week since it is already Thursday:
  • The Titans will take a total 2023 dead cap hit of $5.37M and a total 2024 dead cap hit of $4.74M
  • Salary is paid out over 18 weeks, so 7/18 of his salary ($4.08M) would remain on the Titans 2023 cap
  • The team trading for him would be responsible for 11/18 of his salary ($6.4M) and the cap hit for his rushing yards incentive ($500K) against their 2023 cap... so, just under $7M
    • If he doesn't reach that incentive (1300 rushing yards), that team would get a $500K credit on its 2024 cap
Thank you, this is exactly what I was wondering.

This is an accurate, but a bit misjudged/guided summary. Dead cap, in a situation like this is overrated in and of itself - in that it's essentially a sunk cost metric - i.e. if Henry is released (or traded) there is dead cap remaining, but that dead cap is offset by the removal of his existing cap hit, which if greater than the dead cap, would actually result in cap savings on net. From the Titans perspective, here's would a post June 1 release or trade would have looked like at the beginning of the season to illustrate this point:

POST-6/1 RELEASE
2023 Cap Hit: $16.4 MM - Dead Cap: $15.9 MM = Cap Savings: $500k
2024 Dead Cap: $4.7 MM
2025 Dead Cap: $2.4 MM

POST-6/1 TRADE
2023 Cap Hit: $16.4 MM - Dead Cap: $5.4 MM = Cap Savings: $11 MM
2024 Dead Cap: same as above

Since the Titans have already played nearly half the season, the remaining 2023 salary would be prorated in the above equations, making the immediate cap savings in a trade scenario something like this: Cap Hit: [$16.4 MM * 11/18] - Dead Cap: $5.4 MM = Cap Savings: $4.6 MM.

The reason I bolded the Cap Savings figures is because they are most relevant to the Titans, not the dead cap. The dead cap figures in 2024/25 are baked in regardless of release or trade, as they are part of void years. However, if they trade Henry tomorrow, that $4.6 MM in immediate cap savings described just above could be rolled over into 2024, almost exactly offsetting the currently scheduled 2024 dead cap figure.

This is an accurate, but a bit misjudged/guided summary. Dead cap, in a situation like this is overrated in and of itself - in that it's essentially a sunk cost metric - i.e. if Henry is released (or traded) there is dead cap remaining, but that dead cap is offset by the removal of his existing cap hit, which if greater than the dead cap, would actually result in cap savings on net. From the Titans perspective, here's would a post June 1 release or trade would have looked like at the beginning of the season to illustrate this point:

POST-6/1 RELEASE

POST-6/1 TRADE

Since the Titans have already played nearly half the season, the remaining 2023 salary would be prorated in the above equations, making the immediate cap savings in a trade scenario something like this: Cap Hit: [$16.4 MM * 11/18] - Dead Cap: $5.4 MM = Cap Savings: $4.6 MM.

The reason I bolded the Cap Savings figures is because they are most relevant to the Titans, not the dead cap. The dead cap figures in 2024/25 are baked in regardless of release or trade, as they are part of void years. However, if they trade Henry tomorrow, that $4.6 MM in immediate cap savings described just above could be rolled over into 2024, almost exactly offsetting the currently scheduled 2024 dead cap figure.

There was nothing "misjudged" or "misguided" about the data I posted - everything I posted is a fact. Your additional information is mostly accurate, but not completely. On this:

This is inaccurate. $16.4M is his total cap hit, not his salary, which is $10.5M. The salary is what gets multiplied by 11/18. If traded next week, Henry's 2023 cap hit for the Titans would end up as the $5.37M dead cap plus the $4.08M of his pro-rated salary for the first 7 games, which totals to $9.45M. In comparison to his current 2023 cap hit of $16.37M, the 2023 cap savings would be $6.92M. Not $4.6M.

If that rib/oblique on McCaffrey gets any worse (and all it takes one bad hit on any simple play or block, or even falling down), then with SF looking to make a good run he might fit in nicely there. Imagine him running a wildcat at the 5 yard line with Aiyuk and Samuel, plus Kittle. That would be something to see.

I just hope he gets traded to a team with an actual offensive line.
He's not really getting traded tho, right?
Perfectly timed bye, keep him healthy, and see who's not Come Tuesday. I'd normally say never traded but that was up until the last 2-3 years. I don't know if its more likely than not but a decent chance I reckon, he will be retired before they're ready to compete

POST-6/1 RELEASE

POST-6/1 TRADE

There was nothing "misjudged" or "misguided" about the data I posted - everything I posted is a fact. Your additional information is mostly accurate, but not completely. On this:

This is inaccurate. $16.4M is his total cap hit, not his salary, which is $10.5M. The salary is what gets multiplied by 11/18. If traded next week, Henry's 2023 cap hit for the Titans would end up as the $5.37M dead cap plus the $4.08M of his pro-rated salary for the first 7 games, which totals to $9.45M. In comparison to his current 2023 cap hit of $16.37M, the 2023 cap savings would be $6.92M. Not $4.6M.

Sorry if I offended you by using the terms misjudged/misguided. Yes your post was factual. I stated it was accurate... My main point was that the dead cap for the Titans is much less relevant to the decision of cut/trade or don't than the cap savings. Dead cap really isn't even relevant to that choice. It's spilled milk / sunk cost. The 2025 dead cap figure is baked in, regardless. And for 2023/24, the question is whether or not keeping Henry is worth the cap savings that could be had this year (and rolled into next, if chosen) + any foregone draft or player capital they could receive in a trade.

And yes, you are 100% correct on the latter point you made. I should have prorated only the $10.5 MM salary. I don't care enough to bother to double check your math from there. Let's assume it is correct and there is significant cap savings for the Titans to punt Henry for pretty much anything in a lost season. Bottom line is they have a significant 2023/24 cap incentive to let someone else take Henry ROS. They don't even need a significant pick back in return to justify making the trade. That is the most relevant info for those of us wondering about the likelihood of a Henry trade before the deadline.

Have no idea of their cap situation but this guy in Baltimore makes too much sense, the Ravens could really win a title with him
I just can't see why they would keep him around in Tennessee anymore. They'd be doing him a favor sending him to Baltimore and I'm pretty sure he would immediately fit in with their locker room. Always full of vets in Baltimore...

Heard that he is owed around 6mil ROS, most contenders don't have that in cap space without some adjusting to the books. Hard to see them trade him mid season.

Have no idea of their cap situation but this guy in Baltimore makes too much sense, the Ravens could really win a title with him
I just can't see why they would keep him around in Tennessee anymore. They'd be doing him a favor sending him to Baltimore and I'm pretty sure he would immediately fit in with their locker room. Always full of vets in Baltimore...
Well, he is a big part of why fans buy tickets and his jersey sells. Thats two reasons to keep him . He is and has been the face of the franchise. Seems like a Vrabel guy. Lots of reasons to keep and only one reason to move. That move is strictly good business. Hard to know what they do here. Would there ever be a real market for a trade?

Last edited:
Well, he is a big part of why fans buy tickets and his jersey sells. Thats two reasons to keep him He is and has been the face of the franchise. Seems like a Vrabel guy. Lots of reasons to keep and only one reason to move. That move is strictly good business. Hard to know what they do here. Would there ever be a real market for a trade?
He’s not the same player but probably on par with CMC for impact this year for a contender. So, yeah. There’s a market.
It looks like Achane will return so Miami is probably out. But Baltimore would be scary with him. Cook hasn’t been great but I don’t see Buffalo trading for him.

Well, he is a big part of why fans buy tickets and his jersey sells. Thats two reasons to keep him He is and has been the face of the franchise. Seems like a Vrabel guy. Lots of reasons to keep and only one reason to move. That move is strictly good business. Hard to know what they do here. Would there ever be a real market for a trade?
Yeah I feel this. IMO might as well just rip the band-aid off and move on. The next couple games could have the Titans at 2-7 or 3-6 at best IMO. Moving him would actually make the team worse, but then you get to see what you got in Spears and at some point Levis. And you'll have premium draft picks next year.

He’s not the same player but probably on par with CMC for impact this year for a contender. So, yeah. There’s a market.
It looks like Achane will return so Miami is probably out. But Baltimore would be scary with him. Cook hasn’t been great but I don’t see Buffalo trading for him.
What about the Rams? I would think if they trade Henry he would go to the NFC

Users who are viewing this thread