What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (4 Viewers)

My Deuce Vaughn stock just gained 200% šŸ“ˆ

Gonna offer him up for a 2039 15th round pick.

Edit: Sorry, saw all the Dallas talk and was thinking this was Pollard's thread.

Sorry! My fault, as for Derrick Henry I am 90% sure he's going to Baltimore and he'll fit like a glove the same way Anquan Boldin did.

Now that this is official, let's unpack it a little bit. Gus Edwards averages 5 YPC in this offense and frequently punched it in the end zone. I am away from my computer so I don't have Gus' exact TD stats memorized.

At the least, I think we can all agree he's just as good as Gus Edward so that's his floor. For projections, I think you take what Gus has done and slap an extra 25% on top as just a baseline. I think D Henry will push for a potential career year.

Mobile QBs drastically improved RB performance in most situations. Chris Johnson doesn't rush for 2,000 yards without the threat of Vince Young tucking and running. Less dudes in the box, etc.

My gut says 1,350 rushing with 15 touchdowns. I think Henry has just enough juice and that scheme should be productive enough to elevate him to the player he was 2-4 years ago. It's arguably the best situation in the league for any RB. Just gotta hope he doesn't catch the injury bug, but his physicality is exactly what the Ravens' culture is built on. Perfect fit. I hope he retires a Raven.

He's over 30 with declining ypc every year for the last 4 years coming from an offense that was built around him.

I think he rarely if ever sees more than 15 touches per game with Mitchell seeing quite a few touches. I think he's lucky to 1000 yards this year with maybe 10 tds.
Then you'll be correct on your prediction.
He needs the carries to get rolling like so many backs from prior eras.

Your stats are shifted favorably and not sincere. Second in the NFL is something. Any human would have less after a 2000 yard season but don't forget he had about 8-900 when he got hurt- for the first time. It took other backs weeks to pass him.

He's atypical and that's what people that haven't enjoyed him in FF have not admitted since he was drafted. He's simply different so it's best to step back n drink it all in. Once ya start nitpicking you would have hurt your FF team for his whole career really.

What do you mean my stats are not sincere? He had a great week 1 last year and then only 3 100 yard games after that. His ypc has declined every year for the last 4 years.

He may be the freak that breaks all the rules but I won't be on it for sure. I'll let someone else take the risk. I'd rather have Mitchell in the middle rounds
I explained and there's a whole thread here with stats.

I think a number of us here have expected Henry to end his career as a GL back short yardage back whenever that time comes.

I usually can't get him in FF but on the teams I do have him on, I'm not concerned of a dropoff too much. I think the six for a TD will get me by.

I remember feeling frustrated about Henry's lack of usage his first 3 years in the league - maybe he has more tread on his tires than we think? Plus he's an absolute freak, right there with ADP, takes great care of himself, etc. I think he's got 2-3 good years left, and maybe a career-type year coming up in '24. If he's there in round 2, I'm taking him.

Career stats:

Henry did clock the 7th fastest in-game speed during a play in the NFL last year. He may have lost a step, but he's still more than a few ahead of 99% of the league.

RKPLAYERTEAMPOSSPEED (MPH)WKPLAY TYPE
1DK MetcalfSEAWR22.231373 YD RECEPTION TDadd_circle_outline
2Chase BrownCINRB22.051454 YD RECEPTION TDadd_circle_outline
3Tyreek HillMIAWR22.01564 YD RECEPTIONadd_circle_outline
4Devon AchaneMIARB21.93367 YD RUSH TDadd_circle_outline
5Kavontae TurpinDALWR21.911422 YD RUSHadd_circle_outline
6Devon AchaneMIARB21.76576 YD RUSH TDadd_circle_outline
7Derrick HenryTENRB21.681869 YD RUSH

I'm happy hanging on to Henry, but I'm DEFINITELY shopping him
What are you hoping to get for him?
I traded Henry away for JSN toward the end of last year which I thought was great, but with Lockett signing back with SEA and Henry going to BALT I am not so sure (at least for this year). I can start 3 RB and have CMC, Etienne, Barkley, and JJacobs so I am happy with where the last two signed yesterday Henry may have just muddied the waters further of who to start.

I'm happy hanging on to Henry, but I'm DEFINITELY shopping him
What are you hoping to get for him?
I traded Henry away for JSN toward the end of last year which I thought was great, but with Lockett signing back with SEA and Henry going to BALT I am not so sure (at least for this year). I can start 3 RB and have CMC, Etienne, Barkley, and JJacobs so I am happy with where the last two signed yesterday Henry may have just muddied the waters further of who to start.
I'd take Njigba easily

L
He's over 30 with declining ypc every year for the last 4 years coming from an offense that was built around him.

I would not say that the Titans O-Line was built around Henry. It was a detriment to him, not a positive.

Edit: Sorry, saw all the Dallas talk and was thinking this was Pollard's thread.

Sorry! My fault, as for Derrick Henry I am 90% sure he's going to Baltimore and he'll fit like a glove the same way Anquan Boldin did.

Now that this is official, let's unpack it a little bit. Gus Edwards averages 5 YPC in this offense and frequently punched it in the end zone. I am away from my computer so I don't have Gus' exact TD stats memorized.

At the least, I think we can all agree he's just as good as Gus Edward so that's his floor. For projections, I think you take what Gus has done and slap an extra 25% on top as just a baseline. I think D Henry will push for a potential career year.

Mobile QBs drastically improved RB performance in most situations. Chris Johnson doesn't rush for 2,000 yards without the threat of Vince Young tucking and running. Less dudes in the box, etc.

My gut says 1,350 rushing with 15 touchdowns. I think Henry has just enough juice and that scheme should be productive enough to elevate him to the player he was 2-4 years ago. It's arguably the best situation in the league for any RB. Just gotta hope he doesn't catch the injury bug, but his physicality is exactly what the Ravens' culture is built on. Perfect fit. I hope he retires a Raven.

I think he rarely if ever sees more than 15 touches per game with Mitchell seeing quite a few touches. I think he's lucky to 1000 yards this year with maybe 10 tds.

I agree that would be the conventional thinking, but Gus Edwards got 810 yards rushing and 13 TD last year. The guy they just let walk to pay this guy more money.

I think you have to ignore the numbers and trust the Ravens on this one. They're paying Henry more this year than the Chargers are paying Gus Edwards over the next two. Also, I don't think you pay a guy 10 million a year to only give him 15 touches a game.

More concerned with Dobbins than Mitchell but that's a different conversation.

Oh the 'let's trust the team because they are paying' argument does not hold a lot of weight. I have heard that over a 1000 times on this board for plenty of players that ended up getting way more than they worth

That being said you can draft him high and I'll wait until the later rounds to see if he's available. Beauty of fantasy football

I'm not touching an over 30 rb

So why do you think the Ravens decided to pay Henry $20,000,000 for 2-years if they could have gotten the same production from Gus Edwards for $6,000,000 over 2-years?

Not poking, I respect your opinion I am just wondering why you might think the Ravens did that if they plan on giving Henry the same touches they were giving the old guy who already knows the offense.

The same reason 100s of teams have overpaid for players. The same reason the commanders gave Haynesworth a record-breaking contract, the same reason NE overpaid wrs a couple of years back, the same reason it has happened over and over again. They are guessing in a flawed process in a competitive market.

Josh Norman got 75 million
coby fleener got 40 million
Andre Johnson got a huge contract from the colts (in a very similar situation as an over 30 over the hill star)
Demarco Murray got 40 million from the eagles

So yes the same reason as all those other contracts

I can dig it. Thank you for your response. I personally thing you could average 4 YPC in that offense, but as you indicated.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. God bless.

For sure...like i said earlier its mostly a guessing game but an over 30 rb with a ton of tread on the tires is a massive warning sign for me (especially because his stats look like he is wearing down). He had 3 good games last year and probably 10 duds...

If he's there is some of the middle rounds then maybe but I'll let someone else jump early because henry + ravens

I agree with you, any other RB over 30 and I'd be running for the hills. Maybe I'm naive, but I think Henry's size at 245 lbs will allow him to age more gracefully, if anyone is an outlier it's that guy.

But you're right, he could get injured Week 1 like Aaron Rodgers did and none of us should be surprised. The list of productive 30 year RB is a short one. You're right for being cautious, history says that's the correct move.

I guess we'll wait and see, I own dude in dynasty so I am definitely biased.

First this is the nicest conversation i think I have ever had on this board so thank you for that. You are clearly a good dude

They don't call me SuperFantasyFootballGuy for no reason. :lol:

L

I would not say that the Titans O-Line was built around Henry. It was a detriment to him, not a positive.

I agree that would be the conventional thinking, but Gus Edwards got 810 yards rushing and 13 TD last year. The guy they just let walk to pay this guy more money.

I think you have to ignore the numbers and trust the Ravens on this one. They're paying Henry more this year than the Chargers are paying Gus Edwards over the next two. Also, I don't think you pay a guy 10 million a year to only give him 15 touches a game.

More concerned with Dobbins than Mitchell but that's a different conversation.

Oh the 'let's trust the team because they are paying' argument does not hold a lot of weight. I have heard that over a 1000 times on this board for plenty of players that ended up getting way more than they worth

That being said you can draft him high and I'll wait until the later rounds to see if he's available. Beauty of fantasy football

I'm not touching an over 30 rb

So why do you think the Ravens decided to pay Henry $20,000,000 for 2-years if they could have gotten the same production from Gus Edwards for $6,000,000 over 2-years?

Not poking, I respect your opinion I am just wondering why you might think the Ravens did that if they plan on giving Henry the same touches they were giving the old guy who already knows the offense.

The same reason 100s of teams have overpaid for players. The same reason the commanders gave Haynesworth a record-breaking contract, the same reason NE overpaid wrs a couple of years back, the same reason it has happened over and over again. They are guessing in a flawed process in a competitive market.

Josh Norman got 75 million
coby fleener got 40 million
Andre Johnson got a huge contract from the colts (in a very similar situation as an over 30 over the hill star)
Demarco Murray got 40 million from the eagles

So yes the same reason as all those other contracts

I can dig it. Thank you for your response. I personally thing you could average 4 YPC in that offense, but as you indicated.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. God bless.

For sure...like i said earlier its mostly a guessing game but an over 30 rb with a ton of tread on the tires is a massive warning sign for me (especially because his stats look like he is wearing down). He had 3 good games last year and probably 10 duds...

If he's there is some of the middle rounds then maybe but I'll let someone else jump early because henry + ravens

I agree with you, any other RB over 30 and I'd be running for the hills. Maybe I'm naive, but I think Henry's size at 245 lbs will allow him to age more gracefully, if anyone is an outlier it's that guy.

But you're right, he could get injured Week 1 like Aaron Rodgers did and none of us should be surprised. The list of productive 30 year RB is a short one. You're right for being cautious, history says that's the correct move.

I guess we'll wait and see, I own dude in dynasty so I am definitely biased.

First this is the nicest conversation i think I have ever had on this board so thank you for that. You are clearly a good dude

They don't call me SuperFantasyFootballGuy for no reason. :lol:
Donā€™t use double negative. Use instead, ā€œThey call me SuperFootballGuy for a reasonā€. :)

Henry did clock the 7th fastest in-game speed during a play in the NFL last year. He may have lost a step, but he's still more than a few ahead of 99% of the league.

RKPLAYERTEAMPOSSPEED (MPH)WKPLAY TYPE
1DK MetcalfSEAWR22.231373 YD RECEPTION TDadd_circle_outline
2Chase BrownCINRB22.051454 YD RECEPTION TDadd_circle_outline
3Tyreek HillMIAWR22.01564 YD RECEPTIONadd_circle_outline
4Devon AchaneMIARB21.93367 YD RUSH TDadd_circle_outline
5Kavontae TurpinDALWR21.911422 YD RUSHadd_circle_outline
6Devon AchaneMIARB21.76576 YD RUSH TDadd_circle_outline
7Derrick HenryTENRB21.681869 YD RUSH
Nice

Ravens curiously lost two linemen today- maybe both to the Jets. One FA one trade.

That's such an odd followup to adding Henry
Who? I'm not seeing it anywhere yet.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Jets help solidify their offensive line, landing two starters from the Ravens this week alone. Morgan Moses is expected to be the Jets starting right tackle, and former Ravens free agent John Simpson is expected to be their starting left guard. Moses started 16 games for the Jets at RT in 2021.

Ravens curiously lost two linemen today- maybe both to the Jets. One FA one trade.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Jets help solidify their offensive line, landing two starters from the Ravens this week alone. Morgan Moses is expected to be the Jets starting right tackle, and former Ravens free agent John Simpson is expected to be their starting left guard. Moses started 16 games for the Jets at RT in 2021.
Simpson was Monday, so I knew about him. Moses is 900 years old, but I was worried about him leaving. The tweet doesn't say whether he is a trade or a cut-and-sign.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Simpson was Monday, so I knew about him. Moses is 900 years old, but I was worried about him leaving. The tweet doesn't say whether he is a trade or a cut-and-sign.
He was traded

I remember feeling frustrated about Henry's lack of usage his first 3 years in the league - maybe he has more tread on his tires than we think? Plus he's an absolute freak, right there with ADP, takes great care of himself, etc. I think he's got 2-3 good years left, and maybe a career-type year coming up in '24. If he's there in round 2, I'm taking him.

The Titans gave a 29 yo Demarco Murray more carries than Henry in 2017.

Demarco was second in NFL in rushing or somesuch. He did well

That was 2016 and Henryā€™s rookie year, he couldnā€™t replicate it in 2017. Murray had a few decent games early but then looked done by mid-season and retired after that season.

Reactions: Bri

That was 2016 and Henryā€™s rookie year, he couldnā€™t replicate it in 2017. Murray had a few decent games early but then looked done by mid-season and retired after that season.
I must have had the years mixed up. He wanted big money, turned down offers and insisted, until the market dried up and he couldn't find work.
A year or two later, he went to U of Arizona and coached in a small role (second RB coach?) and was very well received. They let him call some plays as the season closed and he did well.
The next year he returned to OU as their RB coach. He's had issues being too helpful too involved then too withdrawn, back n forth.

I'm in contact with him from time to time ever since he was in college and I covered them. It's just now n then

Henry has been one of my favorite players to watch since Barry Sanders. I look forward to him breaking some career milestones soon. If he gets 10 more TDs, he will be tied with Faulk and Alexander for 8th. Another 2000 rushing yards puts him in the top 20. I think he can get to the top 10 in TDs this year. I hope he can get the 2000 more yards by next year.

Ravens fans are about falling in love during the introductory presser.
Enjoy.
He is an absolute gem.
He looks a little uncomfy probably because he knows zero reporters and big change; most of all he looks happy so, good for him. He surely deserves it

Ravens have been a tough team. Him saying "get hit and hit back" is probably music to his new teammates ears. Its different when ya hit back on offense

I hope my trade partners think he will get 2000 yards, easiest sell high ever if thats the case.
I wish I had him so I could sell high. Thatā€™s how good a sell high he is.
Unfortunately in other leagues where I need RB, I have to inquire about him.
I have a feeling it will require at least a top 4 pick which I am not doing
Yeah, for buying that train has sailed.
Ok Biff Tannen :wink::laugh:

I hope my trade partners think he will get 2000 yards, easiest sell high ever if thats the case.
I wish I had him so I could sell high. Thatā€™s how good a sell high he is.
Unfortunately in other leagues where I need RB, I have to inquire about him.
I have a feeling it will require at least a top 4 pick which I am not doing
Yeah, for buying that train has sailed.
Ok Biff Tannen :wink::laugh:
Itā€™s not rocket surgery is all Iā€™m saying

Nobody is sniffing around him in the one league I've got him. Sell high window might be during the season when he's putting up huge games and some contenders want someone to put them over the top. Obviously some risk waiting that long though.

He's a hold for me. If DH stays healthy I'm expecting Gus Edwards numbers + 25-30%. I'm thinking that might be his floor - 1,000 yards and maybe 14 TDs. If he goes off and crushes that, cool beans.

Nobody is sniffing around him in the one league I've got him. Sell high window might be during the season when he's putting up huge games and some contenders want someone to put them over the top. Obviously some risk waiting that long though.
You may have to wait for the "Henry puts em over the top" articles to come out.
There was a large group of Ravens meeting up with him too after the introductory presser.
It's probably any day now that they all rave about him.
He's arguably the nicest guy and hardest worker now.
He's praising Lamar as possibly the best player in the league.
He's saying how he always loved their physical style.
Lot of gushing today

Kind of a perfect spot since he's maybe the only RB in the league where we aren't worried about losing receptions

Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said the teamā€™s offense wonā€™t be ā€œreliantā€ on run-pass options in 2024.
Asked about using Derrick Henry in run-pass option (RPO) plays alongside Lamar Jackson in the Ravens backfield, Harbaugh said the team wouldnā€™t lean too heavily on RPOs this season. ā€œI think weā€™re in the right place with our RPOs,ā€ Harbaugh said. ā€œI donā€™t think itā€™s something that weā€™re going to like go wholesale towards, because Lamar has got so many different ways he plays the game, and there are other things we like to do, to be honest with you. ... I donā€™t see us going towards like [a] specific offense that runs those more than anybody else. RPOs will be a part of what weā€™re doing, for sure, but theyā€™re not going to be the main part of what weā€™re doing.ā€ Jacksonā€™s mobility has opened up running lanes for many Baltimore backs over the years, most recently Gus Edwards, who thrived in the red zone taking handoffs from Jackson on RPO play calls. Henryā€™s touchdown-base upside in the Baltimore offense is hard to overstate.

Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said the teamā€™s offense wonā€™t be ā€œreliantā€ on run-pass options in 2024.
Asked about using Derrick Henry in run-pass option (RPO) plays alongside Lamar Jackson in the Ravens backfield, Harbaugh said the team wouldnā€™t lean too heavily on RPOs this season. ā€œI think weā€™re in the right place with our RPOs,ā€ Harbaugh said. ā€œI donā€™t think itā€™s something that weā€™re going to like go wholesale towards, because Lamar has got so many different ways he plays the game, and there are other things we like to do, to be honest with you. ... I donā€™t see us going towards like [a] specific offense that runs those more than anybody else. RPOs will be a part of what weā€™re doing, for sure, but theyā€™re not going to be the main part of what weā€™re doing.ā€ Jacksonā€™s mobility has opened up running lanes for many Baltimore backs over the years, most recently Gus Edwards, who thrived in the red zone taking handoffs from Jackson on RPO play calls. Henryā€™s touchdown-base upside in the Baltimore offense is hard to overstate.
I think he means they ran a lot last year so we'll roll with that for planning and off-season.

In season, if Derrick is hot they'll certainly use that to their advantage.

It's common for all coaches of great backs. They want to say they won't be predictable but at the same time we all know a thing or two here. I can remember Scott Mitchell and the Lions supposedly going to be a pass first offense or 50/50 or...yeah we all knew Barry would get it

Henry was on Ryan Clark's podcast and they had a fun debate if he could take him down in the open field or not.

Users who are viewing this thread