What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Elijah Mitchell, SF (1 Viewer)

Keep an eye out for news on Mitchell. Tripped up in practice Thursday, something happened to his knee, listed as questionable for Week 4.

I'm lucky I was able to draft his handcuff CMC, but if Mitchell is hurt (again) I'm considering dropping him for a lottery ticket.

Per Schefter:

49ers’ WR Jauan Jennings (shin) and RB Elijah Mitchell are not expected to play Sunday vs. Cardinals.

Is he worth holding as a handcuff? He's obviously talented and SF RBs are gold, but the Mr. Glass comparisons seem too apt.

Elijah Mitchell (knee) did not practice on Thursday.

Mitchell injured his knee in last week’s practice and hasn’t been heard from since. The oft-injured running back has now missed three consecutive practices and was sidelined in Week 4. While we don’t know the severity of his injury, his absence makes Jordan Mason an interesting stash behind RB1 Christian McCaffrey.

Any signs of life from this guy? I am a CMC owner who got scooped on draft day and I missed the handcuff. The Mitchell owner has dropped him and I am trying to decide if I should grab him or Mason to stash in the even of tragedy with CMC.

Providing he is healthy, Mitchell would be first man up. Probably would wanna handcuff Mitchell with Mason though. lol
Well, this is the problem. I would expect the next man up to be Mitchell also, BUT he is not healthy. I don't have roster space for handcuffs of handcuffs...
struggling with this as well, not clear how serious his injury is as news has been a little sparse, will prob hold on if i can for time being but obviously depends on roster size, who alternative are

Elijah Mitchell played on 7-of-62 snaps in the 49ers’ Week 6 loss to the Browns.

Mitchell was the clear RB3 behind Christian McCaffrey and Jordan Mason, as Mason out-snapped him 15-7 while also out-touching him 5-2. Mason didn’t dominate in snaps or opportunities, but was clearly the preferred back after CMC left with an oblique injury. Sunday was Mitchell’s first game back since he suffered a knee injury ahead of Week 4, so it’s possible he was on a bit of a snap count in his return. However, Mason was solid with his limited opportunities and looks like the back to roster if CMC is unable to go in Week 7 against the Vikings.

I'm a Kyren manager who didn't get Evans. Picked up Mitchell (the only alternative on my roster is Moss, though Latavius, Hunt and CReynolds are on the WW). I'm starting to wonder if he would be a good start even if CMC plays. Niners are seven-point favorites, so I could see them pulling him if they get up big

Alex Caruso
Pick up Elijah Mitchell over Jordan Mason on Waivers today while CMC is out

Mitchell has been the clear RB2 all year

And was behind Jordan Mason last week because he was coming off a knee injury
Does this guy know something or another fortune teller?

Shanahan has basically said that Mitchell is the starter over Mason if he is healthy (and despite the popular belief, he has a track record about being honest with these statements going back to the trey sermon days, most fantasy pundits with shiny new toy syndrome just don't want to believe him).

Whether Mitchell can stay healthy or not is another question.

Last edited:
Alex Caruso

Pretty sure that guy got fired from FBG last year and now just spams twitter with opinion after opinion to victory lap the right ones.

I'm happy I picked up Eli a few weeks ago and still hung onto him when he was injured. I'm a CMC owner, so I'll be starting a 49er RB regardless.

I think Mitchell is the clear RB2, if CMC is out, I'd expect Mitchell to get most of the carries, with Mason in for short yardage/goal line situations and in the 4th quarter if SF has a lead.

If CMC plays, Mitchell will still get a decent amount of touches IMO since it seems Mitchell might finally be 100%.

IMHO, based on what I've observed from the Shanny's over the years, if CMC is able to play, Kyle will play him. When his studs are able to play, they play, and even moreso as enablers for Purdy to work within himself to run the offense efficiently, the way he's been doing, without being asked to do more than he's capable of.

I'm a big fan of Purdy's, for sure, but a big part of what has made Purdy successful this Season, is the elite skill position talent on the field with him, including Trent protecting him.

Trent Williams, CMC and Deebo, along with Aiyuk and Kittle, are all critical elements in assisting Purdy being the best he can be at running and executing that offense. As good as he's been, he's surrounded by elite weapons, and that has at least some influence on how well he's doing playing his role.

It was pretty obvious to me, watching the Browns game, that the more elite pieces left the field, the more burden was placed on Purdy, and his performance suffered for it. Williams, CMC and Deebo finish that game healthy, the 49'ers walk out of that game with a 'W'.

This is the 2nd of 2 back-to-back road games for the '9'ers. They are contending for the overall #1 Seed in the NFC, vs a very competent Eagles squad. Sure, the Eagles draw a tough task this weekend, but they're playing the Dolphins in Philly in Prime Time...they have at least a 50/50 shot at winning that game, but even if they lose, it's a non-Conference game, slightly less important than a Conference game. The last thing the 9'ers want is to have to potentially have to travel west to east to play in the NFC Championship game.

I don't think for a minute Kyle Shanahan is running any sort of an odds scenario through his mind surrounding 'how many elite pieces can we afford to rest and still have a shot at beating the Vikings'. Same for the home game vs the Bengals next week. He's going to field a Team that's as close to full-strength as possible in every game, and will deal with injuries and fallout on a week-to-week basis, as they become issues, IMHO.

Yes, the defense is elite, but from a probability standpoint, winning road games is already a challenging task. Yes the Vikings don't have much of a defense, and struggle to run the ball, but with Trent, Deebo and CMC somewhere between not at 100% and possibly not playing, it certainly levels the playing field somewhat, and puts more burden on Purdy to work outside of himself to engineer a road victory.

If the elite studs are able to play, they're gonna play. At least that's how I see it.

I think Mitchell is the clear RB2, if CMC is out, I'd expect Mitchell to get most of the carries, with Mason in for short yardage/goal line situations and in the 4th quarter if SF has a lead.

If CMC plays, Mitchell will still get a decent amount of touches IMO since it seems Mitchell might finally be 100%.
This is how I see it as well, even though I only own Mason in places, and Mitchell nowhere.

This isn't a good matchup for any SF RB. You beat the Vikings through the air.
Statistics would say that, but reality would not. The only 1/2 way decent RB they have faced this year was Swift, and he went for 175. By the end of the season the Vikings an average run defense.

Alex Caruso

Pretty sure that guy got fired from FBG last year and now just spams twitter with opinion after opinion to victory lap the right ones.
I see that guy pop up on my Twitter searches from time to time and find myself disagreeing with his takes more often than not. He is persistent with his Rachaad White love I’ll give him that:

I just got Elijah Mitchell back to pair with Mason. This can only guarantee that CMC will be a full go on Monday!
Assuming you do not have CMC, how could you ever plan on starting either Mitchell or Mason on Monday? Then you have to assume CMC is back next week...

I just got Elijah Mitchell back to pair with Mason. This can only guarantee that CMC will be a full go on Monday!
Assuming you do not have CMC, how could you ever plan on starting either Mitchell or Mason on Monday? Then you have to assume CMC is back next week...

Good point. If McCaffrey is a go, what do you do when all the Sunday games are over? Mason and Mitchell are probably only useful to the McCaffrey owners this week.

1 rush for -1 yards last night - seems to be about his average.

With CMC making it through last night unscathed and the bye week following, not much need to hold on to him if he wouldn't have any value until week 10 at the earliest, if at all.

Last edited:
CMC wasn't 100% yet Mitchell only had 1 touch all game. That's extremely telling imo.

I guess people would like to keep him due to CMC battling injuries in the past and him being the next RB up, but it's hard holding on to him atm.

CMC wasn't 100% yet Mitchell only had 1 touch all game. That's extremely telling imo.

I guess people would like to keep him due to CMC battling injuries in the past and him being the next RB up, but it's hard holding on to him atm.
Question is, which of the two is more likely to get injured? Kind of sucks if you hold onto him for when CMC' is out and then he's banged up, too.

On the other hand, one carry per game should do a good job of keeping him healthy

Is he still a must have if you have McCaffery? He was just dropped in my league.
I had picked him up in two leagues, one where I had McCaffery and one where I didn't. Dropped him in both. I might consider re-adding him later in the year when I'm past my byes and my lineup is otherwise stable

Question is, which of the two is more likely to get injured? Kind of sucks if you hold onto him for when CMC' is out and then he's banged up, too.

On the other hand, one carry per game should do a good job of keeping him healthy

You’d think so but he did get hurt in practice this time around

Elijah Mitchell (knee) is doubtful for Week 14 against the Seahawks.

Mitchell did not practice this week after suffering the knee injury in the team’s Week 13 win over the Eagles. Kyle Shanahan told reporters after the game that Mitchell was just sore, though that appears to be a bit of an understatement. In his absence, Jordan Mason will handle the RB2 duties. That won’t mean much in the way of touches for Mason, so he can remain off fantasy rosters for now.

Users who are viewing this thread