What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB J.K. Dobbins, LAC (7 Viewers)

Cook tore his ACL in 2017.  In 2018 he only had 615 yards and 2 TDs in 11 games.  Looks like the first year back history still hold true for Dalvin Cook.
He only played 11 games because of another injury (muscle pull which some could say was a cascade due to trying to come back from ACL).  That is a factor but his performance was very good when on the field.  I know the follow on injury is part of the equation and I think a bigger risk than just poor performance.  

He only played 11 games because of another injury (muscle pull which some could say was a cascade due to trying to come back from ACL).  That is a factor but his performance was very good when on the field.  I know the follow on injury is part of the equation and I think a bigger risk than just poor performance.  
Not to mention Dobbins got his surgery a full 6 weeks sooner than Cook.  Plus with Gus back I expect a rotation to ease both back in next year- not expecting bell cow numbers from either but more of a #3RB with upside. 

Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said J.K. Dobbins (ACL) and Gus Edwards (ACL) could start training camp on the PUP list. 

Harbaugh said the team would "play it safe" with their top two running backs a year after losing them to season-ending knee injuries in the preseason. Harbaugh added that the team would change its practice regimen to prevent the sort of devastating injuries the Ravens have experienced in recent seasons. Dobbins should enter the 2022 season as Baltimore's starter while Edwards sees regular work in the team's run-heavy offense. Assuming health, Edwards will be among the most sought-after late-round running backs in fantasy this summer. 

Baltimore had 11 draft picks this year. They waited until their last pick to take an RB. This tells me they are pretty comfortable with where Dobbins is in his rehab.
Perhaps, but don't be surprised when he doesn't have a good first year removed from an ACL.  History isn't on his side.  However, next year is a different story.

Perhaps, but don't be surprised when he doesn't have a good first year removed from an ACL.  History isn't on his side.  However, next year is a different story.
I thought we let this horse die.

Dobbins was hurt in early/mid August right?  People talking about Jameson Williams being ready in October and he tore his in the National Championship game.  I would probably red-shirt Jameson if I'm the Lions.  As for Dobbins, you almost couldn't have a longer recovery time.  That being said, it could go either way.  See Barkley, Saquon.

Dobbins was hurt in early/mid August right?  People talking about Jameson Williams being ready in October and he tore his in the National Championship game.  I would probably red-shirt Jameson if I'm the Lions.  As for Dobbins, you almost couldn't have a longer recovery time.  That being said, it could go either way.  See Barkley, Saquon.
Johnny is banging that point pretty hard. I like the fact that Dobbins has had longer than most to recover and feel pretty confident he will be ready to go unless a setback occurs.

Yeah, Barkley had 593 yards and 3 rushing TDs last year.  I expect him to be much better this season.

I don't own Saquon, but I have it in my head that his injury was worse, and was the latest to the same leg. He's had multiple right leg injuries I thought. 

I don't equate the two backs, but I don't really know for sure, I've never owned Barkley. 

I don't own Saquon, but I have it in my head that his injury was worse, and was the latest to the same leg. He's had multiple right leg injuries I thought. 

I don't equate the two backs, but I don't really know for sure, I've never owned Barkley. 
Barkley has had multiple leg injuries to the same leg during his pro career, mostly to his ankle although he did tear his acl and strain his mcl.

Dobbins on the other hand just suffered a single acl tear in his two years as a pro without the mcl complications.

Also the Ravens are so much better across the board than the Giants, both offensively and defensively, so not sure its fair to compare Barkley's production with what we think Dobbins might do this year just because they both had the same injury. 

Per this Peter King article: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/02/baltimore-ravens-draft-room-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

Ravens were looking at both Zamir White and Isaiah Spiller, other teams just grabbed them. So JK survived the draft but it does seem like they want to bring in more talent. 
I don’t doubt that after what happened to them last year, but they had a ton of picks and only used their last one on an RB. A healthy JK is set to have a great year.

Didn't mean to equate the two players;  Just that surgery being surgery, we never know.  I like Dobbins outlook though given the extensive recovery time.

Yeah, Barkley had 593 yards and 3 rushing TDs last year.  I expect him to be much better this season.
I would guess his fluke ankle injury when he stepped on a defender had a lot more to do with that low total than a slow recovery from an ACL injury.  The ankle injury was fluky and not a cascade affect (like hamstring or other knee soreness) that does occur occasionally on ACL recovery.  Using that as a comp for Dobbins having issues with an ACL recovery is not really applicable.......or it's as applicable as any running back getting injured with or without an ACL recovery due to stepping on someone's foot.  

Gally said:
I would guess his fluke ankle injury when he stepped on a defender had a lot more to do with that low total than a slow recovery from an ACL injury.  The ankle injury was fluky and not a cascade affect (like hamstring or other knee soreness) that does occur occasionally on ACL recovery.  Using that as a comp for Dobbins having issues with an ACL recovery is not really applicable.......or it's as applicable as any running back getting injured with or without an ACL recovery due to stepping on someone's foot.  
Hopefully he breaks out a "History isn't on his side" - I wonder what the record is for posting the same thing on one page of a topic, but "History isn't on his side" on this page has to be close to the record.

Hopefully he breaks out a "History isn't on his side" - I wonder what the record is for posting the same thing on one page of a topic, but "History isn't on his side" on this page has to be close to the record.
But history is on your side for another smart aleck remark.  You have to be getting close to the record.

So, no reservations about usage when he’s back from the ACL injury?  History isn’t on his side for players first year after said injury.

Not to beat a dead horse, but history says otherwise, or at least not to the level prior to the injury their first season back and sometimes never.

That is very risky IMO.  You're assuming he will be the same pre-injury and be the same as soon as he's ready to play.  History says otherwise most of the time.  Don't be surprised if you are disappointed with those results in 2022.

Cook tore his ACL in 2017.  In 2018 he only had 615 yards and 2 TDs in 11 games.  Looks like the first year back history still hold true for Dalvin Cook.

It's off season and this is kind of funny. Smart alecks are my favorite kind of aleck.  At least you know he's reading your posts 😆 

It's off season and this is kind of funny. Smart alecks are my favorite kind of aleck.  At least you know he's reading your posts 😆 
No matter how many times I mention history, those kind of responses don’t ever turn out well and can’t be a good way to communicate on this board.  The mods should delete them

But history is on your side for another smart aleck remark.  You have to be getting close to the record.
I guess the reason I really found it funny was because I was catching up on this thread’s last two pages and I felt like I was reading that every other post.

Currently going at RB23 in redrafts, he's a guy I'm very much looking to get at that price. Gus is going RB42, so its not a bad handcuff price either. 

Fully expecting the Ravens running game to bounce back.

When we get closer to the season and the reports are good he’ll move up.
This is very true. I am a little shocked after what happened to the Ravens RBs that they didn’t prioritize that position more than they did. Historically speaking the Ravens have been run heavy (Marquise gone now as well) and a healthy Dobbins will have a chance to put up some great numbers. 

great value right now, agree that the ADP will rise as the positive camp reports come in.

I'm snatching him up in best balls.

great value right now, agree that the ADP will rise as the positive camp reports come in.

I'm snatching him up in best balls.
I just watched a podcast and one guy had him ranked #20 and the other guy had him ranked #22, around Elijah Mitchell and Antonio Gibson territory.  I hope he is better than ever and avoids the dreaded PUP list.  He was hurt last August, so a trip to the PUP list wouldn’t be a good sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just watched a podcast and one guy had him ranked #20 and the other guy had him ranked #22, around Elijah Mitchell and Antonio Gibson territory.  I hope he is better than ever and avoids the dreaded PUP list.

I think those rankings are way too low if he's healthy.  He's obviously being discounted because he's coming off an ACL injury.

If he starts out on the PUP list those rankings aren’t too low.
I really think the Ravens - being a run first team - would have done something bigger than adding Mike Davis to their RB depth chart if they didn’t think Dobbins would be ready. So far the Ravens action’s this off-season has been a good sign for Dobbins.

I really think the Ravens - being a run first team - would have done something bigger than adding Mike Davis to their RB depth chart if they didn’t think Dobbins would be ready. So far the Ravens action’s this off-season has been a good sign for Dobbins.
I agree, but there were rumors the Ravens were interested in bigger names in the draft but were beaten to the punch.

To me Dobbins is the biggest value out there right now. The signs have been posted in this thread - not drafting or signing anyone of note, doubling down on run-game acquisitions and trading away Marquise Brown.

Dobbins averaged 5.8 yards per carry his rookie year. That number still blows me away. That's more than what most 3rd down backs average. If the Ravens go back to their insane run-heavy offense, it's really hard for me to imagine Dobbins not being a top ten running back. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he scored a touchdown in every single game.

That's not bad news for Dobbins' owners.
On the contrary, it's great news. From injury history alone, adding a RB was a must.

Davis is perfect- has no legitimate path to carries if Dobbins is healthy and carries virtually zero acquisition cost.

There would be a red flag raised if the Ravens drafted a notable RB or spent via FA to do so.

I agree, but there were rumors the Ravens were interested in bigger names in the draft but were beaten to the punch.
I’ve seen nothing that Baltimore was hot on a RB early. They got sniped on WRs twice. I guess they might have taken Kenny Walker or Breece Hall if they fell far enough. The local kid they ended up with seems to me to have been a target pick and the only RB they really considered. The Ravens are better liars than many, so who the hell knows?

Of course, none of this means anything specific to Dobbins until he’s able to step on the field. 

Don’t Sleep on Ravens Running Back J.K. Dobbins

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Ravens running back J.K. Dobbins was poised for a breakout season before a knee injury in a preseason game derailed him. Dobbins is expected to get back in the lineup this season and make a huge impact for Baltimore. GM Eric DeCosta has seen his progress up close this offseason. The interesting thing – a little side note – J.K. and I, we’re neighbors," DeCosta said. "We live probably a quarter of a mile apart from each other. So, he would come over, and we would give him cookies. We’d bring him … My wife is kind of like a mother to the players, so she would bring care packages. "So, I would see J.K. a lot, and I would also see him at the facility doing his rehab. He’s bouncing back and forth between L.A. [Los Angeles] and Baltimore. Again, I’m very confident that he’s going to come back and really flourish this year.” Dobbins suffered an injury to his left knee after getting tackled on a screen pass in a 37-3 victory over Washington in the third preseason game last year. He was later ruled out for the season. In 2020, Dobbins had a solid training camp and worked his way up the depth chart to be the starter. He led the Ravens' running backs with 805 yards on 134 carries with nine touchdowns. Dobbins also recorded a rushing score in seven consecutive games, including the wild-card playoff game against Tennessee, which tied for the second-longest streak by a rookie in NFL history. The Ravens will be in good shape if he finds that same form this season.

"He’s been working very, very hard, and we are very, very confident that he’ll come back and be the type of player that he was two years ago," DeCosta said.

I'll just go ahead and say it, Dobbins is a potential league winner this year at current ADP.

Give me all of that risk/reward.
Same. I'm hoping they roll out the commitee the first 2-3 weeks, let him gain confidence, and then unleash him the ROTY.

Users who are viewing this thread