What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB J.K. Dobbins, LAC (15 Viewers)

J.K. Dobbins said he's not fully recovered from his 2021 ACL injury.​

"It’s still not me all the way yet,” Dobbins said after leading the Baltimore backfield in Week 14 against the Steelers, finishing with 120 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries. "I’m going to continue to get better, and hopefully those 100-yard games will start turning into 200-yard games, maybe.” Dobbins appeared hobbled on a 44-yard scamper against the Steelers. After the game, he told reporters he was upset he couldn't beat Pittsburgh defenders to the end zone on the long run. "I’m still not in shape that I need to be in, because I would have never gotten caught,” Dobbins said. Even with one good leg, Dobbins is an upgrade over Gus Edwards. Dobbins shapes up as a difference-making fantasy producer for the regular season's final month.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN.com
Dec 13, 2022, 10:59 AM ET

"It’s still not me all the way yet,” Dobbins said after leading the Baltimore backfield in Week 14 against the Steelers, finishing with 120 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries. "I’m going to continue to get better, and hopefully those 100-yard games will start turning into 200-yard games, maybe.” Dobbins appeared hobbled on a 44-yard scamper against the Steelers. After the game, he told reporters he was upset he couldn't beat Pittsburgh defenders to the end zone on the long run. "I’m still not in shape that I need to be in, because I would have never gotten caught,” Dobbins said. Even with one good leg, Dobbins is an upgrade over Gus Edwards. Dobbins shapes up as a difference-making fantasy producer for the regular season's final month.
RELATED:
That was obvious on that 44 yard run, but his matchup is pretty good in week 15. I'm going to play him where I have to.

RELATED:
That was obvious on that 44 yard run, but his matchup is pretty good in week 15. I'm going to play him where I have to.
Yeah not fully recovered….but not terrible…
Hit over 20 mph though

RELATED:
Hit over 20 mph though
I don't know about that. All I saw was a guy clearly hobbling down the field. It was an ugly run. Hopefully he is healed in 2023 and also can help some teams in this year's playoffs.

RELATED:
Hit over 20 mph though
I don't know about that. All I saw was a guy clearly hobbling down the field. It was an ugly run. Hopefully he is healed in 2023 and also can help some teams in this year's playoffs.

I'm with you...clearly hobbling and he was caught like he was standing still

With 2 good performances in a row, where do we have him value wise.
Either comp to RBs or picks.
Even though he didn't look good last week on at 44 yard run, I'm assuming he looked better this week. I didn't have the chance to watch it. I'm sure he will continue to get better every week. Here's hoping for sustained heath to Dobbins.

J.K. Dobbins rushed 13 times for 125 yards in the Ravens' Week 15 loss to the Browns, adding one reception for three yards.​

Dobbins looked more comfortable running tonight when compared to Week 14, making his one-cut running style look fluid and easy on his way to more than 100 yards rushing for the second consecutive week. The volume should continue to be held in check coming off multiple missed games at various points in the season, meaning Dobbins will continue to need efficiency and touchdowns in order to provide fantasy utility for the stretch run.
Dec 17, 2022, 7:30 PM ET

Even though he didn't look good last week on at 44 yard run, I'm assuming he looked better this week. I didn't have the chance to watch it. I'm sure he will continue to get better every week. Here's hoping for sustained heath to Dobbins.
He gave up on another long run in the 3rd quarter. A healthy in shape Dobbins would have housed the run. Was around. 40 yarder.
Positive thing is he is finding big holes and making long runs.

I was always super high on him, in fact paid a late first right after he blew his knee out. If he can get back to full speed I think he a top five RB but I am probably in the minority.
I bought him after he had the follow up clean out procedure.
Paid a late first in one league
Mid first for Dobbins plus early 2nd in another league
And 2 early 2nds and Curtis Samuel for him in another.

My RB depth is weak in all of them so I hoping it’s a conditioning and fear issue and not pain/injury related.

J.K. Dobbins (unknown) did not practice on Tuesday.​

We expect most players to get a breather on Tuesday ahead of the Saturday slate so don't read too much into this. Dobbins likely is just getting load-managed after a 13/125 performance against the Browns on Sunday. He'll be on the RB2 borderline against the Falcons in Week 16.
SOURCE: Jamison Hensley on Twitter
Dec 20, 2022, 2:12 PM ET

J.K. Dobbins is not on the Ravens' Week 16 injury report.​

Dobbins' absence on Tuesday was reportedly nothing more than a rest day, which appears to be the case after he logged a full practice on Wednesday. Since returning in Week 14, Dobbins has rushed 28 times for 245 yards and one touchdown, averaging an insane 8.8 YPC in the process. The third-year running back shared last week that he wasn't quite back to 100 percent, but despite any lingering issues with his injury, he appears well enough to shoulder double-digit touches and rip off big gains. Dobbins will be a mid-RB2 this week against the Falcons.
Dec 21, 2022, 5:04 PM ET

Dobbins venting about lack of carries, says that should have been him, not Huntley on that play - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ated-lack-carries-ravens-playoff-loss-bengals
Probably not a positive for Dobbins….can’t imagine any coach named Harbaugh likes being publicly challenged.
I don't know that it's a negative. What are they going to go do? Only give him 12 carries with the season on the line?

My knee jerk reaction was that he's doing this very methodically so that they'll want to move on from him and he'll be free to go find a team that will actually use him.

But he's kind of just lacked a filter going back to last summer. He's said and/or tweeted whatever he thought. Feels in line with the rest of his behavior. I think he's hoping Harbaugh feels the frustration and changes it, but I don't think that will be the case.

If he switches teams after next year, he's really interesting in dynasty. I don't know that you can "buy low" on him at this point. I think people tend to have more of a superficial look when it's their own player.

He's only 24. He had some big plays. His YPC was 5.7 (I know, I know, YPC isn't a great metric, but someone you're trying to buy him from is going to point to that as why he's good).

But he also only had 92 carries in 8 games. He still doesn't look like he's running in his normal manner. No receiving game work. TD's haven't been there. Either Lamar stays and steals TD's, or Lamar leaves and suddenly you have uncertainty surrounding the offense.

I'll send some feelers out this off-season. Not expecting to get anywhwere.

I don't know that it's a negative. What are they going to go do? Only give him 12 carries with the season on the line?

My knee jerk reaction was that he's doing this very methodically so that they'll want to move on from him and he'll be free to go find a team that will actually use him.

But he's kind of just lacked a filter going back to last summer. He's said and/or tweeted whatever he thought. Feels in line with the rest of his behavior. I think he's hoping Harbaugh feels the frustration and changes it, but I don't think that will be the case.

If he switches teams after next year, he's really interesting in dynasty. I don't know that you can "buy low" on him at this point. I think people tend to have more of a superficial look when it's their own player.

He's only 24. He had some big plays. His YPC was 5.7 (I know, I know, YPC isn't a great metric, but someone you're trying to buy him from is going to point to that as why he's good).

But he also only had 92 carries in 8 games. He still doesn't look like he's running in his normal manner. No receiving game work. TD's haven't been there. Either Lamar stays and steals TD's, or Lamar leaves and suddenly you have uncertainty surrounding the offense.

Saquon averaged about 11 points per game last season, his first after the ACL surgery. He was RB5 this season. Dobbins averaged about 10 ppg this season, his first after ACL surgery. Granted, it seems Dobbins's surgery was more complicated, and he ended up having a second cleanout operation, but I'm pretty optimistic about his outlook for next year -- not saying he'll be top 5, but top 10 is within expectations, I think. If the Ravens switch out Lamar for a competent QB who runs less, which seems like a possibility, then that would only help Dobbins.

Dobbins showed some juice last night. I expect him to be a bargain in the RB dead zone of redrafts next year.

Of course I sorta thought that this year, but his knee didn’t cooperate.

Saquon averaged about 11 points per game last season, his first after the ACL surgery. He was RB5 this season. Dobbins averaged about 10 ppg this season, his first after ACL surgery. Granted, it seems Dobbins's surgery was more complicated, and he ended up having a second cleanout operation, but I'm pretty optimistic about his outlook for next year -- not saying he'll be top 5, but top 10 is within expectations, I think. If the Ravens switch out Lamar for a competent QB who runs less, which seems like a possibility, then that would only help Dobbins.
I think the talent for a top 10 season next year is there. Will the ravens give him the carries? Will he have more passing game work?

Those are the concerns. If Lamar leaves, it may indeed make a world of difference.

J.K. Dobbins rushed 13 times for 62 yards in the Ravens' Wild Card loss to the Bengals, adding 43 yards and a touchdown on four receptions.

Following a lost year due to injury, the electric third-year back played only nine of 18 games this season as he battled multiple injuries, including a cleanup operation on his injured knee. It's actually quite remarkable how well Dobbins performed from an efficiency standpoint having not looked right all season, finishing the 2022 season with 582 yards on 105 carries (5.54 yards per carry), two rushing scores, and 11 receptions. Dobbins enters the final year of his rookie contract looking to maintain his health enough to secure a follow-on deal.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Dobbins venting about lack of carries, says that should have been him, not Huntley on that play - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ated-lack-carries-ravens-playoff-loss-bengals
Probably not a positive for Dobbins….can’t imagine any coach named Harbaugh likes being publicly challenged.
he's probably right about that play at the goal line. Huntley shouldn't have been the one on that carry.
No disagreement

Dobbins showed some juice last night. I expect him to be a bargain in the RB dead zone of redrafts next year.

Of course I sorta thought that this year, but his knee didn’t cooperate.
I have a theory, that if he'd hadn't torn his ACL+, he'd be looked at as the best RB from the 2020 draft class. Might be anyway. Every time I see him, he impresses, and I say that as someone who wasn't a huge fan of his at Ohio St, where he mostly just ran through highway sized holes.

Dobbins is 100% a target of mine next season.

ETA: No problem at all with his comments, its what anyone watching thought too. They give the ball to Dobbins or Edwards there, and the Bengals are watching the playoffs from home next week.

The ravens should have tried to keep the ball as long as possible in that game last night. The rbs as a whole(including Huntley) should’ve ran more imo. Dobbins (again imo) should have had more touches that kept the clock moving. He was effective and it seemed to me Huntley was playing below his average play. i say this with Huntleys play last year and this year in mind. I don’t disagree at all with what dobbins said I just wish the quotes that I’ve read didn’t come off as disgruntled as they did.

Dobbins is a top drawer running back when fit and every Ravens fan I know seem to get incredibly wound up on a weekly basis about the play calling and their RBs, and in particular Dobbins, not getting more totes. They’ve never seemed to keep feeding him even when he’s going at a great clip per carry and it’s cost them some games

Contract year next year too. Back to the third round he goes like last year
I LOVE the talent. I think if he were 100% healthy and utilized like he should be, he's got top 5 RB potential.

Baltimore seems to like to split the carries among 2, sometimes even 3 backs. Lamar also eats into the rushing touches.

They also don't utilize the backs much in the passing game.

Lamar also steals goal line TD's.

The season is 8 months away. So much can and will change. But it's going to take a lot for me to get to the point of feeling good about Dobbins in the 3rd.

Jamison Hensley @jamisonhensley
Ravens OC Todd Monken said he spoke today with RB J.K. Dobbins, who missed the first minicamp practice.

"We'd love for him to be out there," Monken said. "Obviously, he's not ready to go. I know he's ready to go when he's out there. We are certainly better with him out there."
OR he is holding out
Apparently it’s a “hold in”

His rookie contract was 4 years, $5.72M. He’s already damaged goods and if he gets another serious injury, he’s basically out of the league.

Agree with his stance 1000%. Show up, say the right things, be positive, don’t chirp; but if you want me to take snaps, talk to my agent.

I love Dobbins as a player and painfully have hung onto him in dynasty waiting for him to have the kind of year I believe he is capable of having. However, he has rushed for 1300 career yards and has a major knee injury on his resume. I am sure it is frustrating watching your positional peers struggle to get paid, but he does not have a lot of leverage at this point. Go out and show people what you are capable of and maybe Baltimore gives him an extension after a nice start to the season. Otherwise if he can stay healthy he is young enough to get a Montgomery-like deal somewhere else. This type of move makes me leery that he still may be dealing with something in regards to the injury and wants some financial security (I don’t blame him for that).

talk to my agent.
What has he really accomplished in his career to warrant a big payday before it’s due?

The guy should be out there proving he’s healthy and can contribute. He has one good season worth of stats accrued over three NFL seasons. Why would anyone be throwing money at him now?

talk to my agent.
What has he really accomplished in his career to warrant a big payday before it’s due?

The guy should be out there proving he’s healthy and can contribute. He has one good season worth of stats accrued over three NFL seasons. Why would anyone be throwing money at him now?

He can hold out as long as he wants but not sure how he and is agent think it will accomplish anything...I am sure the Ravens would love him to be out there, but he has not done anything in his pro career that makes him indispensable...especially at a position where teams are in no rush to pay players who are far more productive.

You guys seem to be thinking he’s looking for some huge payday. The guy just wants to know he’s going still to have future paydays if he goes out there and tears his leg up, again, in service to the almighty Ravens.

This is why agents were invented. Dobbins can say he’s just listening to his agent, he loves the team, loves playing for Harbs and being part of the flock, doesn’t want to cause problems, etc etc but his agent won’t let him practice and they can talk to him.

It’s not a Lev Bell situation where there’s some $10M at stake (can’t remember exactly how much off top of my head). It’s $1.39M. And if he goes out there and rips his knee up again, it’ll probably be the last $1.39M he’ll ever see. So yeah, I’d want a modest contract extension for 2-3 years also. They’re not asking for the moon I’m sure. He has a little leverage right now because he doesn’t stand to lose that much and the Ravens actually need him.

I’m fully aware there’s a lot of folks who will never side with the worker in any kind of situation like this so I’m not going to spend anymore time arguing it.

You guys seem to be thinking he’s looking for some huge payday. The guy just wants to know he’s going still to have future paydays if he goes out there and tears his leg up, again, in service to the almighty Ravens.

This is why agents were invented. Dobbins can say he’s just listening to his agent, he loves the team, loves playing for Harbs and being part of the flock, doesn’t want to cause problems, etc etc but his agent won’t let him practice and they can talk to him.

It’s not a Lev Bell situation where there’s some $10M at stake (can’t remember exactly how much off top of my head). It’s $1.39M. And if he goes out there and rips his knee up again, it’ll probably be the last $1.39M he’ll ever see. So yeah, I’d want a modest contract extension for 2-3 years also. They’re not asking for the moon I’m sure. He has a little leverage right now because he doesn’t stand to lose that much and the Ravens actually need him.

I’m fully aware there’s a lot of folks who will never side with the worker in any kind of situation like this so I’m not going to spend anymore time arguing it.
If I was the Ravens GM and Dobbins wanted a raise based on the 1,300 yards he's managed in his first three seasons in the league, I'd wish him luck and let him sit out. He has zero leverage here. I like him and think he's a very solid RB but there's just no way this guy can be threatening to hold out and think that scares anyone. Gus Edwards and Justice Hill, next men up.

His best bet is to go out there and double his career statistics and force the Ravens to then make that decision.

That's not the case here at all - and it's a little disingenuous using that tactic here. I can surely sympathize with the players, especially RBs that tend to get screwed over - the issue here is Dobbins hasn't earned a pay day yet. Barkly and Jacobs have a strong case. Dobbins doe not.

If I was the Ravens GM and Dobbins wanted a raise based on the 1,300 yards he's managed in his first three seasons in the league, I'd wish him luck and let him sit out. He has zero leverage here. I like him and think he's a very solid RB but there's just no way this guy can be threatening to hold out and think that scares anyone. Gus Edwards and Justice Hill, next men up.

His best bet is to go out there and double his career statistics and force the Ravens to then make that decision.

I’m only going to correct this one point and move on….he’s not looking for a raise. And whatever he receives (if anything) won’t be a raise. He wants an extension. An extension will not change his comp for this year, but it will secure the next couple years. He doesn’t have *much* leverage, but it’s not zero leverage. He has a little because the Ravens are internally expecting to contend, they need a starting running back, and his pay this year is so small that he doesn’t have much to lose.

What’s the alternative for Baltimore, Gus Edwards? Not good enough. Dalvin Cook? Much more expensive, particularly for this season. He’s more up against the Fournette/Hunt/Elliott types and he’s better than those guys. So yeah, he does have some kind of position here…not zero.

Not saying this is right or wrong, but it's hard not to imagine everything else in the RB market isn't also influencing this a bit. And IMO, as valid as it may be to say "well Dobbins hasn't really done anything yet"; it feels like it ignores the fact multiple RBs who have far exceeded expectations are still going through similar issues because of the market. So part of me feels like even if he hadn't gotten injured/had played at a high level all last season he'd still be in the same boat right now. Pure speculation on my part and obviously isn't the reality. But looking at Barkley, Pollard, Ekeler.... hard not to at least consider it.

On another note, as a Barkley, Dobbins, Diggs owner... this early offseason has me worried about a large core of my team lol...

I'm pretty confident he will play this season. But not participating all off-season won't help his play. And it will be pretty damn sad if he does get a bad injury this year. Uber talented RB who landed in a sub-prime spot, had an unlucky injury, and is playing during time when his positional market is in the tank. Always wish he would have fallen a bit further to TB or Buffalo in 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread