What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jamaal Williams, NO (2 Viewers)

Packers RBs coach Ben Sirmans said fourth-round RB Jamaal Williams will open camp as the No. 2 running back.

With former receiver Ty Montgomery atop the depth chart, the No. 2 job in Green Bay could end up being a valuable fantasy asset. Williams will get the nod entering camp, but Sirmans made it clear everyone will get their shot. "The biggest thing is just competition," Sirmans said. "With so many different guys, somebody is going to have to rise to the top." Aside from Williams, fifth-rounder Aaron Jones is the best bet to earn the No. 2 job.

Source: Wisconsin State Journal

For the second straight day Thursday, ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky reported fourth-round RB Jamaal Williams appears to be "pushing" Ty Montgomery for starting duties.

Per Demovsky, the coaching staff has "praised (Williams') pass-protection ability," an area where Montgomery remains a work in progress. Williams received the first first-team reps of Thursday's practice. Coach Mike McCarthy called Ty Mont a "full threat" on Monday, but Williams is set up to make a preseason push. Williams is shaping up as a solid flier, while Montgomery is a risk/reward RB2.

Related: Ty Montgomery

Source: Rob Demovsky on Twitter 

Aug 3 - 9:22 PM

yeah I will definitely say I called this. he's getting started reps already. much better at pass pro than ty, and the packers top priority is Rodgers 

yeah I will definitely say I called this. he's getting started reps already. much better at pass pro than ty, and the packers top priority is Rodgers 
Sorry to bust balls :P , but I think you called Aaron Jones when I quizzed you about it in the Abdullah thread. I appreciated the perspective, but it didn't deter my JW crush.

GB will give jamal every chance to win the job because of his stellar pass protection. Ty Montgomery could be headed to a Percy Harvin/Curtis Samuel type role.

Not bad, but not RB2..IF jamal wins the job.

Which brings up a funny scenario. Let's say Jamal does win the job in camp. People who had Ty as a RB2, may try feeling smarter than the room and not draft him at all, letting Ty fall later than he should. You could get his as a RB4, maybe?  He might go from being overvalued to undervalued in a weekend.

I drafted Williams because I owned Ty last year and it felt like they really were not comfortable with him as their RB1.  While they didn't draft a RB high, the fact that they drafted 3 rookies signaled to me that they didn't necessarily trust him yet, despite what the coaches have said.  I do like Williams best of the rookies based on their college film but it really is a crap shoot.  I looked at as a lottery that doesn't cost much to play but could pay off big dividends no matter which of those rookie backs you select. Right now Williams has an edge as you would expect since they drafted him first but this should be an interesting competition to watch during pre-season games.

Sorry to bust balls :P , but I think you called Aaron Jones when I quizzed you about it in the Abdullah thread. I appreciated the perspective, but it didn't deter my JW crush.
To be fair, I think long term (2-3 years out) Jones is the back to own out of all of this. 

I have said repeatedly in several threads (mostly the Ty thread) that IMO Ty Montgomery will fall out of favor by the bye week and Jamaal Williams (or Aaron Jones, but most likely Jamaal Williams unless JW fails to do anything over the first 2 months) will be the starter or at least get the lions share of the carries for the rest of the season. 

Jones and Montgomery are very similar kinds of backs. But Jones has more experience running the ball in general. 

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, I think long term (2-3 years out) Jones is the back to own out of all of this. 

I have said repeatedly in several threads (mostly the Ty thread) that IMO Ty Montgomery will fall out of favor by the bye week and Jamaal Williams (or Aaron Jones, but most likely Jamaal Williams unless JW fails to do anything over the first 2 months) will be the starter or at least get the lions share of the carries for the rest of the season. 

Jones and Montgomery are very similar kinds of backs. But Jones has more experience running the ball in general. 
I keep hearing good things about Ty as a runner (apparently several scouts/experts thought he should be a running back before he was even drafted), but always with the caution that his pass blocking still has a ways to go. So yeah, if he can't protect Rodgers, then I don't see how he doesn't fall out of favor (quickly). 

This is Montgomery's job.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/08/packers-training-camp-3-quick-takeaways-from-tuesdays-practice/

Montgomery makes pass pro progress
Packer Report @PackerReport
Ty Montgomery was excellent in one on one blitz pickup drill.
12:23 PM - Aug 8, 2017
 1 1 Reply   14 14 Retweets   81 81 likes

It’s probably only a matter of time – and reps – before Packers running back Ty Montgomery is a very good pass blocker. He has the frame, strength and mindset required to handle the assignment against all kinds of rushers, and it looks like all the practice and technique training is starting to pay off. If (or when?) Montgomery becomes proficient in pass pro, the Packers will have a true three-down threat at running back. He moved in the right direction on Tuesday.

I keep hearing good things about Ty as a runner (apparently several scouts/experts thought he should be a running back before he was even drafted), but always with the caution that his pass blocking still has a ways to go. So yeah, if he can't protect Rodgers, then I don't see how he doesn't fall out of favor (quickly). 
He's used to catch the passes from out of the backfield, so how often will he really be kept in to block anyway?

He's used to catch the passes from out of the backfield, so how often will he really be kept in to block anyway?
People are drafting him like he's going to be getting a lot of snaps, so if that's true then the answer would be... a lot?

I'm no OC, but I would think it would be beneficial if you had someone who didn't tip your hand to the defense or that allowed you to switch up the plays at the line. If Ty can't block, then he's a limiting factor so he'd really need to separate himself from the rest of the pack when it comes to rushing and receiving. I have my doubts that he's actually that special in that regard. Wasn't he known for his drops as a WR?

People are drafting him like he's going to be getting a lot of snaps, so if that's true then the answer would be... a lot?

I'm no OC, but I would think it would be beneficial if you had someone who didn't tip your hand to the defense or that allowed you to switch up the plays at the line. If Ty can't block, then he's a limiting factor so he'd really need to separate himself from the rest of the pack when it comes to rushing and receiving. I have my doubts that he's actually that special in that regard. Wasn't he known for his drops as a WR?
Also no OC, and I agree with your point about predictability.  That being said, I would think another concern would be Rodgers' ability to audible.  If Ty is on the game, & A-Rod doesn't trust him to pass block, it could inhibit the Pack's ability to change the play at the line.

Wasn't he known for his drops as a WR?
Not that I know of - I don't think he saw that many targets as a WR.

The point of my last post is that RBs do not really stay in to block all that much - most of the time they may chip a guy, at most, but then either run a pattern or sit in the flat as a safety valve. Montgomery was used as a pass catcher out of the backfield a lot last season once he was moved to RB, so I'm not sure what has changed? If anything he should be improving as a blocker since it's now something he studies and practices.

Also no OC, and I agree with your point about predictability.  That being said, I would think another concern would be Rodgers' ability to audible.  If Ty is on the game, & A-Rod doesn't trust him to pass block, it could inhibit the Pack's ability to change the play at the line.
Yeah, that's what I meant about being able to switch plays at the line.

Not that I know of - I don't think he saw that many targets as a WR.

The point of my last post is that RBs do not really stay in to block all that much - most of the time they may chip a guy, at most, but then either run a pattern or sit in the flat as a safety valve. Montgomery was used as a pass catcher out of the backfield a lot last season once he was moved to RB, so I'm not sure what has changed? If anything he should be improving as a blocker since it's now something he studies and practices.
I am pretty sure I read reports about him having drops in camp/practice in previous years, but it's been a while. I remember thinking it was crazy that everyone was lauding him as some pass catching stud when pass catching was actually why he didn't cut it as a WR...

As for blocking, they do it enough that it is a relatively big aspect of scouting and often holds rookies back from playing time. The reports about Jamaal Williams getting 1st team reps all cited it was due to pass blocking. Do with that information what you will.

Yeah, that's what I meant about being able to switch plays at the line.

I am pretty sure I read reports about him having drops in camp/practice in previous years, but it's been a while. I remember thinking it was crazy that everyone was lauding him as some pass catching stud when pass catching was actually why he didn't cut it as a WR...

As for blocking, they do it enough that it is a relatively big aspect of scouting and often holds rookies back from playing time. The reports about Jamaal Williams getting 1st team reps all cited it was due to pass blocking. Do with that information what you will.
He was a second year player last year who saw limited time as a rookie. Where are you getting he couldn't "cut it" as a WR? He played behind Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams and Randall Cobb (and others) - it's not like he was being kept off the field by scrubs. And he was switched to RB out of necessity since all the Packers RBs went down with injury and he had some background at the position. The team saw some potential there obviously since they made the switch permanent heading into this season. It seems disingenuous to imply that means he couldn't "cut it as a WR". And 44 receptions last season when he did not even has a role early in the season kind of shows he was a pretty effective pass catcher at RB.

And as far as pass blocking being a big part of a RB - some one posted a link on here about a week ago that showed that the highest percentage on passing plays that any RB was being kept in to block was 15%. Most RBs topped out under 10%. Obviously there is some importance to being able to pick up the blitz when asked but since Montgomery was used as a pass catching back, I'd say he'd be one of the guys that would be seldom asked to stay in and block and instead be asked to be an outlet for Rodgers. A dump off option is just as effective on a blitz most of the time.

I'm not saying Montgomery is some great RB - the jury is still out and it's very likely that he's not - but the same is true of all the RBs on the Packers roster. The truth is most of these mid to late round RBs come and go pretty quickly.

He was a second year player last year who saw limited time as a rookie. Where are you getting he couldn't "cut it" as a WR? He played behind Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams and Randall Cobb (and others) - it's not like he was being kept off the field by scrubs. And he was switched to RB out of necessity since all the Packers RBs went down with injury and he had some background at the position. The team saw some potential there obviously since they made the switch permanent heading into this season. It seems disingenuous to imply that means he couldn't "cut it as a WR". And 44 receptions last season when he did not even has a role early in the season kind of shows he was a pretty effective pass catcher at RB.

And as far as pass blocking being a big part of a RB - some one posted a link on here about a week ago that showed that the highest percentage on passing plays that any RB was being kept in to block was 15%. Most RBs topped out under 10%. Obviously there is some importance to being able to pick up the blitz when asked but since Montgomery was used as a pass catching back, I'd say he'd be one of the guys that would be seldom asked to stay in and block and instead be asked to be an outlet for Rodgers. A dump off option is just as effective on a blitz most of the time.

I'm not saying Montgomery is some great RB - the jury is still out and it's very likely that he's not - but the same is true of all the RBs on the Packers roster. The truth is most of these mid to late round RBs come and go pretty quickly.
I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't care enough about Ty as a fantasy player to bother looking up his scouting reports or old camp reports just to prove a point.

As for his 44 rec as a RB last year, I always caution people to not confuse volume with talent. I tend to reference Ingram here - people assumed he couldn't catch because he never got targets, but as soon as the passes were there, voila, he's suddenly a 3 down gem in these forums. Shonn Greene was once praised by Rex Ryan saying "defenders bounce of that guy, but unfortunately so do passes." Greene once caught 30 passes in a season and it wasn't because he was good at it. The Packers had no RBs so they were using short passes to Montgomery as a replacement for a run game (Montgomery only had 1 game with over 9 carries), so I don't think those passes mean he's actually a stud in that aspect, although you would hope even a poor pass catching WR would be a good pass catching RB.

I never said pass blocking occurred a lot - I don't doubt your 10% number, but all I'm saying is that it is still regarded as an important part of a halfback's skill set. It may not happen often, but teams need them to block effectively when they call a play that requires it. And when you have the best QB in the league, it's even more important. The team likes him and I'm sure they'll use him, but if Jamaal Williams blocks and runs between the tackles better, Ty will become a situational RB and thus way overrated for fantasy purposes this year. He's not going to get 40 snaps/game if he can't block.

I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't care enough about Ty as a fantasy player to bother looking up his scouting reports or old camp reports just to prove a point.

As for his 44 rec as a RB last year, I always caution people to not confuse volume with talent.
What point? That he can't catch? He was drafted by a team that has a great track record of drafting WRs so I'd let that be the starting point on your research if you find the time to care about it.

And I brought up his 44 catches in limited action only to show that he is a solid pass catching RB (because you expressed confusion as to why people labeled him a pass catching stud). I don't think they were saying he was some amazing talent, more that he was used heavily in the passing game. He caught the 44 passes on 56 targets.

What point? That he can't catch? He was drafted by a team that has a great track record of drafting WRs so I'd let that be the starting point on your research if you find the time to care about it.

And I brought up his 44 catches in limited action only to show that he is a solid pass catching RB (because you expressed confusion as to why people labeled him a pass catching stud). I don't think they were saying he was some amazing talent, more that he was used heavily in the passing game. He caught the 44 passes on 56 targets.
You were asking why I didn't think he was a good WR, I thought. I know I read it at least from a guy on DLF and from Waldman that they didn't like him as a WR prospect but thought he could find a role as a RB.

Those short targets won't be there when they find a running game. And he won't be on the field to get them if Jamaal Williams outplays him as a blocker. And no, I wasn't confused as to why they labeled him a pass catching stud - I was saying it was based on nothing but volume.

Jamaal Williams rushed four times for 14 yards in the Packers' preseason opener.

As expected, the rookie worked with the second-team offense, taking over after Ty Montgomery left the game. He contributed a couple nice runs on the Packers' touchdown drive in the second quarter and looked good in his first NFL action. Williams looks locked into the No. 2 job at this point, and he could push Montgomery for first-team work.

you spelled Aaron Jones wrong ;)

This backfield will be interesting all together. Jones is kuch more complete than Williams. Williams sorely disappointed this preseason. I wouldn't be surprised for Jones to get more touches than Williams. but anything is possible. 
Good point. In general no matter what happens I think the Packers coaches have to get some of these young players some time in case Montgomery does have a problem at some point health-wise.

Good point. In general no matter what happens I think the Packers coaches have to get some of these young players some time in case Montgomery does have a problem at some point health-wise.
When Williams scores a goal line TD every Ty owner will panic. forgetting how bad Ty was at the goal line last year. 

you spelled Aaron Jones wrong ;)

This backfield will be interesting all together. Jones is kuch more complete than Williams. Williams sorely disappointed this preseason. I wouldn't be surprised for Jones to get more touches than Williams. but anything is possible. 
Everyone forgets about Mays, but he might have the best pro skill set of the bunch. Big, but also has some speed and agility. Can catch passes out of the backfield.

GB drafted three backs and they all made the roster. I can see all of them getting a chance this season.

Everyone forgets about Mays, but he might have the best pro skill set of the bunch. Big, but also has some speed and agility. Can catch passes out of the backfield.

GB drafted three backs and they all made the roster. I can see all of them getting a chance this season.
I agree. Mays was supposed to be a PS guy but he played out of his mind to earn a spot. you're completely right Mays could steal the reigns at some point too. 

I think its between him and Jones

we will see next week... or as long as Williams puts up that abysmal ypc maybe we will see him in the second half
No we won't.  That's my guess at least, never know what will happen though. If Jones is a better runner, the Packers don't trust him with the other nuances of playing RB. 

No we won't.  That's my guess at least, never know what will happen though. If Jones is a better runner, the Packers don't trust him with the other nuances of playing RB. 
their only other R Bs are ripkowski and Jones. Mays is inactive. he hasn't seen any action yet and I doubt he comes in most due to inexperience with the offense. Will be fun next week if he gets action

their only other R Bs are ripkowski and Jones. Mays is inactive. he hasn't seen any action yet and I doubt he comes in most due to inexperience with the offense. Will be fun next week if he gets action
Yeah it will be, I'm excited to see Jones too.  They seem to play Ripkowski in pure 3rd down passing situations and that's supposed to be Jones' niche, so I really don't think they trust Jones. I could easily be wrong. 

Sounds like Williams injury might be serious.  Doubt we see him back up 21.. Jones is going to get his shot, I'm curious to see if they give him any pass protection opportunities. 

Based on?
It's being reported as a knee. I watched it again and he got twisted up and immediately grabbed his knee. Players in pile called for medical staff right away.  He tried to get up and went back down. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread