What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Robinson, NE (2 Viewers)

I am still skeptical of Robinson. Yes Akers came back but he also didn't look all that good on his return. The disparity between being 1st round pick and a UDFA is evident here. Etienne was given a full year to recover. It sounds like he could have played late last year but the team isn't going to rush back a 1st round investment with 4 more years on his contract. However, the clock is ticking for Robinson. This could be his last chance to really get paid. He is a FA at the end of the year and he knows in order to get any real money in the offseason he will have to get on the field to prove he's fully back. I feel bad for him but I also worry he's really not fully recovered but has no choice but to throw himself back out there.

I am still skeptical of Robinson. Yes Akers came back but he also didn't look all that good on his return. The disparity between being 1st round pick and a UDFA is evident here. Etienne was given a full year to recover. It sounds like he could have played late last year but the team isn't going to rush back a 1st round investment with 4 more years on his contract. However, the clock is ticking for Robinson. This could be his last chance to really get paid. He is a FA at the end of the year and he knows in order to get any real money in the offseason he will have to get on the field to prove he's fully back. I feel bad for him but I also worry he's really not fully recovered but has no choice but to throw himself back out there.

This seams like a logical take. Despite all the news reports of him being back and the #1 it's hard to believe it. Feels like a Boobie Miles situation.

Plus Robinson can't afford to lose even a bit of speed - if his burst isn't back, I don't see how he could be effective.

It was only a partial tear and there's new technology being employed in the achilles surgeries that make coming back to athletics less risky. ETN has looked good in the preseason but his numbers are pretty bad. They're gonna want a guy in there that can get 4.yds consistently, not a guy that can hit the home run but gets caught behind the line trying to do too much.

It was only a partial tear and there's new technology being employed in the achilles surgeries that make coming back to athletics less risky. ETN has looked good in the preseason but his numbers are pretty bad. They're gonna want a guy in there that can get 4.yds consistently, not a guy that can hit the home run but gets caught behind the line trying to do too much.
All the current reporting says ETN is going to be the RB1 until Robinson is ready, and they don’t expect that for a stretch of the early season. JAX is smartly bringing Robinson along slowly. Everything I’ve read has said that ETN has been the star of camp and from what I’ve seen he’s agile and explosive. I don’t take much from preseason numbers with limited sample size, vanilla offenses and incomplete offenses.

I like the idea of drafting Robinson as a RB3-4 in the middle rounds, as I believe he’s going to become a viable FF contributor for the 2nd half.

But I also like ETN’s overall skill set - and the last report I read suggested exactly what I’d predicted a month ago - that when Robinson does come back, they’ll use 2-back sets, and at times split ETN out wide or run him out of the slot. That would make him a potential PPR stud.

I’m still drafting Robinson (and did on my best NFC team) but not if I have to depend on him the 1st few weeks. I believe that’s the best approach.

I actually like both players at their ADP.

Obviously the tech had advanced. Cam Akers was proof of that. This is still a really quick turn around and Robinson is pushing the idea of what we know is possible with this injury.

Remember all the preseason talk about Marlon Mack splitting time with John Taylor?

The creme will rise to the top but I love all the overly speculative talk about Robinson being the number one RB keeping ETNs price nice.

Obviously the tech had advanced. Cam Akers was proof of that. This is still a really quick turn around and Robinson is pushing the idea of what we know is possible with this injury.

It’s also worth adding that there’s a huge difference between playing, and returning to form.

Many are using cam akers as an example of a success story, however we still have not seen Akers explosiveness that he had prior to the injury.

So while I agree the chances of success are improved, we still have not actually seen either Akers or Robinson come back from this.

I saw a tweet with the list of running backs who tore their Achilles, and what happened after that… It wasn’t pretty, and both Akers & Robinson we’re listed as TBD

Akers looked good to me last year athletically when he returned. He played sloppy with the football and finished the year facing 3 top 10 run defenses and the TEAM could not run the ball. I don't think he was quite 100% but safe to say I have strong disagreements he did not look very good and have said as much repeatedly and most of you here were saying the same thing after his first game back before he ran into those 3 top 10 run D's.

Robinson will have a few extra months over Akers but similar I don't expect him to look bad but not quite 100% either. Now the popular takes are he can't afford to lose any more speed. I don't really buy that argument in the sense of I think it impacts him less then a RB who relies on speed and but would agree any RB that loses speed is a negative and just depends on what degree. Now what I do think is essential to Robinson is his short area burst which I think is underrated. I believe he's got a 40" inch vertical so yes he's not a blazer but that's a very good measurement of short area burst/explosion. If that's not back it could be a problem. My guess is again it's not all the way back but will be very close at some point during the season.

Before ETN got hurt last year I was of the opinion Robinson was going to get used more then most people anticpated but not enough to not see a solid decline in his fantasy value. Same thing holds true for me now. I think he'll get used more then people anticipate, but he's not going to get as much per game volume as he has in the past. Just was never going to happen with ETN healthy regardless of his own health. It's a RBBC.

And I'll submit this tweet from today without comment:

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi
@MikeGiardi

John Harbaugh with some praise for his RBs, "Justice (Hill), he looks as fast or faster than he ever looked. They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I guess that's true with Achilles too... Mike Davis has looked very good both games." #Ravens

Dropped in my 12 teamer before the season even starts.

Granted we have fairly short benches.

Not everyone in this league is a Sharkpool football nerd/pro, but they are all decently savvy. Some more than others. (Of course I like to think I am, but I never win)

My jaw hit the floor on this one.

Not everyone in this league is a Sharkpool football nerd/pro, but they are all decently savvy. Some more than others. (Of course I like to think I am, but I never win)

Available in my league too but, it was an Achilles in December. IIRC it wasn't a complete tear, is that right?

But it was still an Achilles in December, could he truly be ready to play at a high level at any point this season?

Available in my league too but, it was an Achilles in December. IIRC it wasn't a complete tear, is that right?

But it was still an Achilles in December, could he truly be ready to play at a high level at any point this season?
I left him and let someone else grab him for the exact Achilles reason.

If I’m wrong I’m wrong.

I left him and let someone else grab him for the exact Achilles reason.

If I’m wrong I’m wrong.
Same. And traded him off of the 16-team dynasty squad I took over.

In 2 of the NFC entries (points format) I grabbed him very late, hoping that by the 2nd half of the season he’s a contributor.

But I wouldn’t want to roster him anywhere that I was counting on his contributions for wins and losses.

I was sitting next to Coach Doug Pederson at dinner Saturday night (3 feet away).
The waiter and I were talking about "Should we ask him who their main running back is going to be this year?" :wink:
We left him alone...

Remember all the preseason talk about Marlon Mack splitting time with John Taylor?

The creme will rise to the top but I love all the overly speculative talk about Robinson being the number one RB keeping ETNs price nice.
Do you remember when Mack tore his Achilles in Week 1?

Impossible to know what the Colts plans were for that year before the injury. And by the way, even after having the backfield to himself it still took more than half the season for Taylor to emerge.

I'm generally betting against guys who tore their Achilles returning to form (although I did take a late-round flier on Robinson in a draft last night) but I don't think we really know what the Jags are planning, nor do we know how healthy Robinson is

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jaguars running back James Robinson will not be limited against the Washington Commanders on Sunday in his return from a torn left Achilles.

Robinson might even get a heavy workload depending on how he feels and the game develops, Jaguars coach Doug Pederson said.

"I think we've got to get into the football game," Pederson said Wednesday. "I've been in situations like this, too, where you want to go in and you want to control the pace of play with a guy like James. At the same time, if he's feeling good and there hasn't been any setbacks or anything, then you just go and you just roll with it.

The dreaded Achilles on a guy who is behind a guy who was a 1st Round Pick last year (albeit from a different regime). If he's the goalline back he probably has some fringe value, it's just it's "THAT" injury.

The dreaded Achilles on a guy who is behind a guy who was a 1st Round Pick last year (albeit from a different regime). If he's the goalline back he probably has some fringe value, it's just it's "THAT" injury.
Yeah but I hear it was a partial tear and they did a new procedure. Also Travis is also coming off a lisfranc injury. Right before Robinson hurt his Achilles he was popping up on the injury report with a heel injury. This is what also worries be about Najee, since he’s already dealing with something and hope it doesn’t turn into something more.

James Robinson (Achilles) is active for Week 1 against the Commanders.​

Meanwhile, RB Snoop Conner, S Daniel Thomas, WR Kendric Pryor, EDGE De'Shaan Dixon, and CB Montaric Brown are inactive against the Commanders. Robinson made a stunning recovery from a late-season Achilles injury that seemed to threaten his 2022 status. Whether he looks and runs like he did before the Achilles injury remains to be seen. His presence lowers the ceiling for Travis Etienne, who should still operate as the primary back for Jacksonville.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jaguars on Twitter
Sep 11, 2022, 12:02 PM ET

The amount of work James Robinson has received 9 months after his Achillies tear is amazing, and now a TD. Jaguars using him, not Etienne like a clear lead back. Robinson even getting a good amount of 3rd downs/passing down work.

How does he look so good and Akers so bad? I don't get it.

I think it's more Robinson is a bit of a freak healer and Akers a slow healer. Akers had a stretch pre-injury where he looked good.

@Pip's Invitation - I read a bit about that and that does make sense. He can't get back to his old form due to injuries/him not trusting himself.

He looks pretty good from what I've seen. I'm guessing it probably helps that he never was successful because of raw speed or something like that. Just a bull-nosed runner with great running instincts.

How does he look so good and Akers so bad? I don't get it.
It's early so the book is still open on both players. But Robinson suffered a a partial tear of the Achilles tendon, Akers popped the whole thing.

I believe, but am not certain, this is a significant distinction.

James Robinson rushed 11 times for 66 yards and one touchdown in the Jaguars' Week 1 loss to the Commanders, adding one reception for an additional three yards and one touchdown.

After avoiding the PUP list and participating throughout training camp, Robinson was officially active for this one. His longest run on the day came on a 22-yard scamper on Jacksonville's first drive, while he also churned out an 11-yard touchdown run following a Carson Wentz interception. Robinson's lone reception of the day came on a three-yard touchdown reception in the third quarter, which would be Jacksonville's first touchdown of the new season. Robinson operated as the clear lead back in this one but lost some meaningful red zone work to Travis Etienne in the second quarter. Robinson is a low-end RB2 next week against the Colts.

- NBCSportsEDGE

James Robinson rushed 23 times for 64 yards and a touchdown in the Jaguars' Week 2 win over the Colts, adding two receptions for 14 additional yards.

37 of Robinson's yards came on his second quarter touchdown run, where he ran up the middle and found the seas parting, with the help of some missed tackles. With the Jags then leading by two scores for the final 37:52 of their eventual 24-0 win, Robinson was getting brickwalled in predictable run situations. That still does not explain away just 27 yards on his 22 non-touchdown carries. Not a good afternoon, though Travis Etienne could manage all of 20 yards on his nine totes. Etienne added 3/23 through the air. Through two weeks, this has been a traditional committee with Robinson as its clear-cut chairman. He will be a high-floor, if low-upside, FLEX for Week 3 against the Chargers' tough defense.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Uh, he went 23-64 with a 37 yard run.

Aside from one run, that's a disaster. It's not good even with the run.
Had a few where he was stopped at LOS as everyone knew they were running, but yeah, not great. Still, has had a nose for the end zone and of all the guys with Achilles injures he seems to have come out the best so far at least.

Agreed. I drafted him with the hope that he would take over by around mid season and be a shot in the arm for the second half of the season and a playoff push. I like Robinson but Etn is a far better athlete and has a history with Lawrence. I'm of the opinion that in the end, Robinson will be taking a back seat to ETN. ETN's explosiveness will just be too hard to keep off the field. Especially as the Jax passing game continue to improve.

Agreed. I drafted him with the hope that he would take over by around mid season and be a shot in the arm for the second half of the season and a playoff push. I like Robinson but Etn is a far better athlete and has a history with Lawrence. I'm of the opinion that in the end, Robinson will be taking a back seat to ETN. ETN's explosiveness will just be too hard to keep off the field. Especially as the Jax passing game continue to improve.
That all may be true about his explosiveness, but doesn’t necessarily make him a better RB in terms of grinding out tough yards and protecting the franchise QB.

Uh, he went 23-64 with a 37 yard run.

Aside from one run, that's a disaster. It's not good even with the run.
And Etienne was even worse at 9-20.

I think the Colts game plan, for whatever reason was to dare Lawrence to beat them through the air. And/or the Jags aren't a very good run blocking unit.

Time will tell.

When people say "explosiveness" what do they mean? Etienne has played all of two games in the NFL and we're making assumptions, which are likely based on youth more than anything he has shown at the pro level. He's coming off a significant season ending foot injury and is effectively in his rookie season.

His long rush of the year (🧨 🧨) was 27 yards, he has 40 yards on his 12 other carries.

I guess the future may belong to the younger Etienne but does anyone realize that he is only five months younger than Robinson?

I'm sure Etienne will get a bigger share as the season progresses but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to take over primary RB duties. IMO his absolute upside for opportunities is, maybe 2021 Javonte & Melvin.

Users who are viewing this thread