What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Robinson, NE (8 Viewers)

2, 3 games tops
He’s actually been relatively healthy the last 2 years but he’s just not been used much or been very effective. Thompson is just a role player now. He turns 30 next month and I don’t think has the same juice anymore.

He’s actually been relatively healthy the last 2 years but he’s just not been used much or been very effective. Thompson is just a role player now. He turns 30 next month and I don’t think has the same juice anymore.
Agreed with this. It feels like Thompson is there to be the veteran presence that knows the offense. There’s certainly the element of coach speak, but coaches calling Robinson a 3-down back may be telling the truth. I could also see the Dare signing as Thompson insurance and special teams value. 

Good opportunity for the kid right out of the gates it would seem. 

Agreed with this. It feels like Thompson is there to be the veteran presence that knows the offense. There’s certainly the element of coach speak, but coaches calling Robinson a 3-down back may be telling the truth. I could also see the Dare signing as Thompson insurance and special teams value. 

Good opportunity for the kid right out of the gates it would seem. 
I love your out look!!  CoSign 100%

all the teams lie,  so the tell the truth and everyone thinks they are lying. 

Well, I'm in for 100% of my bid dollars in one league. There's been no waivers all offseason and somehow there's still only garbage on the wire. Team is pretty set outside of RB (currently running Gordon/Lindsay and Ingram as my only useful backs) and I've talked myself into this. No regrets. Waivers run in an hour.

Well, I'm in for 100% of my bid dollars in one league. There's been no waivers all offseason and somehow there's still only garbage on the wire. Team is pretty set outside of RB (currently running Gordon/Lindsay and Ingram as my only useful backs) and I've talked myself into this. No regrets. Waivers run in an hour.
Wow that’s bold. 

Wow that’s bold. 
Haha yeah, I know. The rosters are pretty deep in this league though and the waiver is pretty bare all year long. Most teams blow 90% of their budgets on season open waivers, so I want to be sure I get him. 

Haha yeah, I know. The rosters are pretty deep in this league though and the waiver is pretty bare all year long. Most teams blow 90% of their budgets on season open waivers, so I want to be sure I get him. 
That’s fair and I don’t hate it in that situation. 

Somebody just immediately called and wants their three yards and a cloud of dust back. 

He's probably the least agile of the pass catching packs I've ever seen. We were on him in the Tampa thread. Just not a good player. Happens to be in Florida, most likely. 
And can play special teams. So, he could be active on game day.

mcintyre1 said:
It’s not that far out there.  I did the same thing in one of my leagues where I thought it made sense given the league settings

As an added bonus it’s nice not having to enter waiver claims in the league for the entire year

Entering week 1 with a UDFA, Chris Thompson and a guy they signed 72 hours before kickoff in the backfield. 

So it’s now 100% understandable why they cut Fournette
🤔

You would have to be pretty desperate to have to start Robinson.  This game will be a blowout for the Colts and possibly a shutout.
I don't think anyone is starting him. We are all hoping he shows well so the free money (end of drafts or Fa pickup)  can be used as trade bait to a rb needy team

You would have to be pretty desperate to have to start Robinson.  This game will be a blowout for the Colts and possibly a shutout.
In my 16 team league, he's an owners best flex option. In standard scoring, his projection is 9 points. Big risk, but he should get the most carries and goal line TDs. Perhaps in garbage time if it's a blowout.

FBG (consensus projections) sure doesn't like his outlook for the season. Looks like he's below Armstead and Samuels and just above Dion Lewis.

Picked him up for cheap anyway for a wait and see.

I’m in a pinch for a flex spot in one PPR dynasty and may end up rolling out Robinson now that Ozigbo is on IR. My options are obviously limited (Campbell/Lazard basically).  Hearing Gruden talk about Robinson in the clip posted earlier was fairly encouraging (but what is he going to say?).  Still, Marrone is on his last legs and Gruden was run out of Washington. Logic says they’re coaching to win games or at least be competitive enough to be the ones to oversee the rebuild instead of getting canned at the end of the season ...

All that to say, “Who’s with me?!”  Go James Robinson!

Scored this guy for free the minute my draft was over 4 months ago. I am deciding between him and Jeudy at flex. If Sutton plays it’ll be Robinson

I've looked hard at adding him, but I just cannot get excited about a running back in this Jax offense. Feels like the wheels are going to come off the bus quickly.

I’ll point out that we’re pretty terrible assessing situation (team context) in a normal year with preseason games and full mini camps and training camps. How much worse will we be assessing situations with hardly any information? As quick examples from 2019: Rams running game (and offense really), Ravens passing game, Miami entire offense, Jets entire offense, etc.

I don’t personally think Leonard Fournette is very good (special, if you will). I think he’s a volume back that needs 20-25 carries a week so he can pop 3-4 of them.  He adds nothing as a receiver despite his 70+ receptions which might as well have been handoffs (no route run, just dump off). The Jags release him and everyone immediately says they’re tanking.

Well, for one, I don’t believe the coaches are trying to lose as it can cost them their jobs (especially Marrone who could’ve easily been fired this past cycle, and Gruden who was just run out of Washington).  Two, Coughlin is gone, and Gruden’s offense is new, which all is to say Fournette didn’t fit what they wanted to do on offense (which certainly seems to be turn the keys over to Minshew and Chark and Shenault and see what happens).

It’s not quite the same situation, given Peterson’s age, but a new power structure / coaching staff in Washington cuts Peterson and everyone just nods along and says, “Man, Gibson must be awesome!”  The actions of the Jags (specific to their offense), IMO, are no different. 

Presumably Minshew and Chark are as good or better than they were a year ago. They added Eifert as a pass-catching TE and drafted Shenault to add another weapon. They still have Westbrook and Keelan Cole for receiving depth. The OL (which allowed Fournette to have a pretty big year last year) returns all five starters. Why would we assume the offense, specifically, is going to be worse than they were a year ago?  Because the team traded defensive players?

I’m not intentionally being obtuse (understanding a worse defense can affect game script), but their defense last year was 9th worst in the league. The worst defenses still produced offensive stars at RB (Arizona was worst, and Cinci, Houston, Washington, Seattle, and NYG were 4th - 8th worst on defense). Nobody was avoiding Drake/Edmonds, Mixon, Hyde, Peterson/Guice, Carson/Penny, or Barkley. Obviously some of those are extremely talented, but is it so far fetched to think Robinson could be as good as 34 YO AP or JAG Carlos Hyde?

Maybe James Robinson isn’t as good as Fournette, or maybe he is and just was hidden at a small school with no in-person workouts, no pro day, no team visits. The coaches are raving about him (the same coaches who will lose their jobs if the Jags fail), and the team actions continue to point to him being their best option.

I just don’t buy that as of right now, sight unseen, we know they’re terrible, a terrible situation for RBs, and at best he’s a bye week fill in and more likely is cut in a few weeks. Maybe that reveals itself over time, but as of today I think there’s reason for optimism. 

JFS171 said:
I’ll point out that we’re pretty terrible assessing situation (team context) in a normal year with preseason games and full mini camps and training camps. How much worse will we be assessing situations with hardly any information? As quick examples from 2019: Rams running game (and offense really), Ravens passing game, Miami entire offense, Jets entire offense, etc.

I don’t personally think Leonard Fournette is very good (special, if you will). I think he’s a volume back that needs 20-25 carries a week so he can pop 3-4 of them.  He adds nothing as a receiver despite his 70+ receptions which might as well have been handoffs (no route run, just dump off). The Jags release him and everyone immediately says they’re tanking.

Well, for one, I don’t believe the coaches are trying to lose as it can cost them their jobs (especially Marrone who could’ve easily been fired this past cycle, and Gruden who was just run out of Washington).  Two, Coughlin is gone, and Gruden’s offense is new, which all is to say Fournette didn’t fit what they wanted to do on offense (which certainly seems to be turn the keys over to Minshew and Chark and Shenault and see what happens).

It’s not quite the same situation, given Peterson’s age, but a new power structure / coaching staff in Washington cuts Peterson and everyone just nods along and says, “Man, Gibson must be awesome!”  The actions of the Jags (specific to their offense), IMO, are no different. 

Presumably Minshew and Chark are as good or better than they were a year ago. They added Eifert as a pass-catching TE and drafted Shenault to add another weapon. They still have Westbrook and Keelan Cole for receiving depth. The OL (which allowed Fournette to have a pretty big year last year) returns all five starters. Why would we assume the offense, specifically, is going to be worse than they were a year ago?  Because the team traded defensive players?

I’m not intentionally being obtuse (understanding a worse defense can affect game script), but their defense last year was 9th worst in the league. The worst defenses still produced offensive stars at RB (Arizona was worst, and Cinci, Houston, Washington, Seattle, and NYG were 4th - 8th worst on defense). Nobody was avoiding Drake/Edmonds, Mixon, Hyde, Peterson/Guice, Carson/Penny, or Barkley. Obviously some of those are extremely talented, but is it so far fetched to think Robinson could be as good as 34 YO AP or JAG Carlos Hyde?

Maybe James Robinson isn’t as good as Fournette, or maybe he is and just was hidden at a small school with no in-person workouts, no pro day, no team visits. The coaches are raving about him (the same coaches who will lose their jobs if the Jags fail), and the team actions continue to point to him being their best option.

I just don’t buy that as of right now, sight unseen, we know they’re terrible, a terrible situation for RBs, and at best he’s a bye week fill in and more likely is cut in a few weeks. Maybe that reveals itself over time, but as of today I think there’s reason for optimism. 
Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson.

:banned:

JFS171 said:

Well said.  I honestly think there is potential here for James Robinson's to be this year's Jordan Howard.  I have been trying to get him in every league.  Jordan Howard won me 2 out of 3 leagues that year.  That's obviously best case scenario, and one of the main reasons I am gunning for him as that potential to win a championship and put my team over the top.  The stars are aligned so who knows! 

At the very worst he is a flex starter for the time being so not much risk involved at this time.  You definitely want to get him before week 1 though if you want him.  If he does well week 1, his value will sky rocket.  If he does nothing than oh well just another guy you thought had a chance with little risk.  

this is such an odd situation where a UDFA rookie is in line for a 10-15 carry week 1 workload as the lead 1st and 2nd down back. Lindsey is a recent rookie UDFA success story.... but has this happened another time at the start of the season? i cant think of any other situations like this. Even lindsey was kind of the 1b option to start the year. this kid is being given the keys before week 1. very odd.

even though i "lucked" in to henry as my TE2 in the 11th, i'm going to end up cutting him to pick up a defense sunday morning and keeping upside guys like robinson (14th) and reagor (13th).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay Gruden on JAX RB James Robinson: 

“He’s ready. We have every indication that we’ve seen in training camp that he can handle it. Evolving into a starter is almost impossible without preseason games, but he made us all feel very comfortable.”

JFS171 said:

#### yeah. That's what I'm saying.

this is such an odd situation where a UDFA rookie is in line for a 10-15 carry week 1 workload as the lead 1st and 2nd down back. Lindsey is a recent rookie UDFA success story.... but has this happened another time at the start of the season? i cant think of any other situations like this. Even lindsey was kind of the 1b option to start the year. this kid is being given the keys before week 1. very odd.

even though i "lucked" in to henry as my TE2 in the 11th, i'm going to end up cutting him to pick up a defense sunday morning and keeping upside guys like robinson (14th) and reagor (13th).
terrell davis?

Slapdash said:
I've looked hard at adding him, but I just cannot get excited about a running back in this Jax offense. Feels like the wheels are going to come off the bus quickly.
But why not pick him up on the off chance he flashes week 1.  He is a starting RB for an NFL team that will get carries with little competition at the moment.  It costs you very little to nothing to pick him up.  There probably won't be a bigger upside opportunity all year.

But why not pick him up on the off chance he flashes week 1.  He is a starting RB for an NFL team that will get carries with little competition at the moment.  It costs you very little to nothing to pick him up.  There probably won't be a bigger upside opportunity all year.
He could make for nice trade bait.  I traded him and Dillon for two 2021 2nd rd picks.  At least one of them should be high.

That is pretty sexy at the flex. 
I have both Fournette and Robinson on my team. The way I look at it, either Fournette is pretty good and should be rock solid in Tampa (R Jones couldn't wrestle the job away from Barber), or Fournette is garbage and Robinson should at least be good enough to roster and possibly start. There is some room for a third narrative, but I think I have this covered.

I have both Fournette and Robinson on my team. The way I look at it, either Fournette is pretty good and should be rock solid in Tampa (R Jones couldn't wrestle the job away from Barber), or Fournette is garbage and Robinson should at least be good enough to roster and possibly start. There is some room for a third narrative, but I think I have this covered.
Which do you like better this week of those two?

Users who are viewing this thread