What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Robinson, NE (5 Viewers)

His second second carry of the game made me rewind a few times. He’s legit. There’s still time to buy in dynasty. Getting him for a late 1st is a win.

He looks fantastic. Super quick feet, and power as a last resort. Never quits on any play. He's becoming my favorite player.

NFL Rookie Rankings: 10 highest-graded rookies through Week 4

Excerpt:

3. RB JAMES ROBINSON, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

The Jaguars have been putting Robinson to work on the receiving front, and it's paying off big time so far. Robinson has now generated 2.6 yards per route run, trailing only Alvin Kamara for the best mark among running backs. He has also broken eight tackles on 14 receptions, once again trailing only Kamara for the best at the position.

Robinson’s impact as a receiver has been the difference-maker here, but he's been reliable as a ball carrier, too, as his 76.7 rushing grade is currently the seventh-best at the position.

One of the many impressive things about him that he went almost 3 full games without a negative run. Had one on his second to last carry last week.

Jaguars OC Jay Gruden said he wants to get James Robinson more touches in the second half of games.

“The more we give him, the more he seems to perform. We have to keep the game where we can use him for 60 minutes. I'd love to get him more touches and those will come in the third and fourth quarter.”  The Jaguars have trailed by 10 or more points in the second half of their last three games. It’s created negative gamescripts for Robinson, who has 34 first-half carries and 26 in the second half. Robinson still managed over 100 total yards in those three games and could see his biggest workload of the season in a Week 5 matchup with Houston’s league-worst run defense.

I was listening to Arif Hasans podcast about the upcoming match up between the Vikings and Seahawks. During the mail bag portion towards the end he is asked if Dalvin Cook is the best and most complete RB in the NFL to which he answers no. I think Arif downplays Cooks abilities as a receiver somewhat as part of his explanation for that, citing some drops by Cook as a reason why.

He then goes on to say that James Robinson is a better RB than Cook is. I was looking for things to throw at my headphones.

I do not agree with him, but I respect his opinion enough that it causes me to look at Robinson in a different light and I thought Robinson owners might like to hear about this even though I think it is incorrect.

I own Robinson everywhere, and he might be my favorite story in the league this year, but let’s pump the brakes. He’s not as good as Cook. 

He's not explosive as Cook, but he might end up being more of a complete back.....and Cook gets dinged up a lot

Jaguars OC Jay Gruden said he wants to get James Robinson more touches in the second half of games.

“The more we give him, the more he seems to perform. We have to keep the game where we can use him for 60 minutes. I'd love to get him more touches and those will come in the third and fourth quarter.”  The Jaguars have trailed by 10 or more points in the second half of their last three games. It’s created negative gamescripts for Robinson, who has 34 first-half carries and 26 in the second half. Robinson still managed over 100 total yards in those three games and could see his biggest workload of the season in a Week 5 matchup with Houston’s league-worst run defense.
Saying they want to get him more touches later in games and get away from negative game scripts sounds positive on the surface but really suggests to me that they are fairly cemented in their thinking about what constitutes "Robinson time" and what is "Thompson time". Aspirational thinking is great but the negative game scripts will continue. I'd like to see them broaden their thinking about Robinson's versatility. Thompson is what he is and if you believe he's a somewhat better passing down option, I'd argue that he's not "better enough" to keep a better running threat on the sidelines.

He comes at a cheaper price which is better for the fantasy community....which is what this is all about afterall.
That’s irrelevant to the statement I responded to. 

If some one said “a Honda performs better overall on the road than a Mercedes” and I asked “in what way does a Honda perform better on the road than a Mercedes” would “well a Honda is cheaper” be an appropriate response? 

Saying they want to get him more touches later in games and get away from negative game scripts sounds positive on the surface but really suggests to me that they are fairly cemented in their thinking about what constitutes "Robinson time" and what is "Thompson time". Aspirational thinking is great but the negative game scripts will continue. I'd like to see them broaden their thinking about Robinson's versatility. Thompson is what he is and if you believe he's a somewhat better passing down option, I'd argue that he's not "better enough" to keep a better running threat on the sidelines.
I can see your point, but I'd chalk this one up in the other camp. He wasn't explaining passing usage away definitively. He had pretty strong positive things to say in a brief little snippet about Robinson in the pass game. It gives me hope that there's at least a chance you'll see Robinson in passing situations. That's where he excelled against Miami that bit on Thursday night, and Thompson has not looked good out there. I'm biased, but there's reason for optimism when you parse the broader context of the possibilities of what the coach might say or even not say. He didn't need to say anything about Robinson's usage unless he was directly asked about it, which I can't make heads or tails of from the blurb.  

Last edited by a moderator:

If some one said “a Honda performs better overall on the road than a Mercedes” and I asked “in what way does a Honda perform better on the road than a Mercedes” would “well a Honda is cheaper” be an appropriate response? 
Can't even put diesel in a damn Honda. You can with Mercedes. Shaq Diesel. The Mercedes of Hondas. 

Okay, I kid, but your point is a good one and one I immediately thought upon reading the response. 

The analogy would be gas-mileage I suppose, less likely to break down, top end speed more useful for the track than week to week carrying the load 

FWIW Cook is a much better back, personally not arguing that 

Yea, prolly nothing, but he may not be as fragile.....thats all I'm saying.....time will tell.
I still don't see muscle pulls coming off an ACL tear and a shoulder separation from repeated blows and hits as fragile, I guess. And Robinson, if you're watching, has been taking and giving some loud hits. He's not the most slippery guy in the world, so that's gotta be his style. Leads to repeated blows, which lead to injuries.

I know I'm going to jinx him because he's on my dynasty team, but I've never seen a back take a hit as good as Zeke. And this was before I picked him up on an orphan. I've just always thought that. Robinson, while not the full 180, is probably like 125 degrees from Zeke. He takes some pops. 

Depends....are we playing Fantasy Cars?

James Robinson had 13 carries for 48 yards and caught 5-of-7 targets for 22 yards in Week 5 against Houston.

This was Robinson's worst game after going over 100 total yards the last three weeks. The Jaguars continued to chase points in the second half, and Robinson was held in check on his 18 touches. Robinson lost a fumble when he was sacked on a wildcat pass on fourth down. He didn't get any red-zone chances this week, with Jacksonville throwing it four straight times inside the five-yard line. There should be better gamescripts for Robinson when the Jaguars defense gets healthy. Robinson has a matchup with the Lions in Week 6.

- Rotoworld

James Robinson rushed 12 times for 29 yards in the Jaguars' Week 6 loss to the Lions, adding four receptions for 24 additional yards and a touchdown. 

For the second straight week, Robinson had a forgettable day on the ground against a bad run defense. He continues to save a little face with his receiving work — Robinson has at least four grabs in four straight games — but the run is proving difficult to establish in the Jags' talent-challenged offense. Robinson will be a low-end RB2 for Week 7 vs. a Chargers defense that will be coming off its bye week. 

Oct 18, 2020, 5:48 PM ET

TD saved his day, but this offense is coming back down to earth where we all sort of figured they’d be at the beginning of the season.

Somebody proposed sending me Mike Evans for James Robinson at 1:02 today.

It's still sitting there.

Evans put up a clunker (1-10-0) but I'm getting the feeling that the JRob situation may start to unwind along with this entire team.

Somebody proposed sending me Mike Evans for James Robinson at 1:02 today.

It's still sitting there.

Evans put up a clunker (1-10-0) but I'm getting the feeling that the JRob situation may start to unwind along with this entire team.
I’d accept in a heartbeat depending on your running back stable.

I like Jrob's talent and think he's an excellent dynasty piece, but he's going to struggle ROS. Their schedule is pretty rough. 

The window of opportunity to sell high on Robinson has closed. I declined a couple of decent dynasty offers weeks back, but those types of offers have now dried up.  Robinson still has some value, especially in dynasty formats, but his value is mostly as a hold now.

The window of opportunity to sell high on Robinson has closed. I declined a couple of decent dynasty offers weeks back, but those types of offers have now dried up.  Robinson still has some value, especially in dynasty formats, but his value is mostly as a hold now.
I still have a trade sitting there for review. I give up James Robinson I get Mike Evans.

PPR league.

Do feel like this could be the last chance to sell high. LAC D is no joke then a bye week. 

Still hesitant to pull the trigger. Evans looks hurt or something.

I still have a trade sitting there for review. I give up James Robinson I get Mike Evans.

PPR league.

Do feel like this could be the last chance to sell high. LAC D is no joke then a bye week. 

Still hesitant to pull the trigger. Evans looks hurt or something.
I would pull the trigger on that deal.  I was holding out for a young, emerging wideout, but I never could work out the right deal.  I am not unhappy holding onto Robinson in dynasty, either.

I would pull the trigger on that deal.  I was holding out for a young, emerging wideout, but I never could work out the right deal.  I am not unhappy holding onto Robinson in dynasty, either.
Just accepted.

Leaves me light at RB now with only D. Henry, J. Conner, D. Freeman, L. Bell (with Mostert now heading to IR). 

Still, looking at Robinson's schedule end of year and in the playoffs where BALT and CHI loom I'm not sure he'll be usable down the stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread