What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jeff Wilson, MIA (2 Viewers)

Jeff Wilson is eligible to come of IR this week.
With the way Mostert and Achane are playing will he see the field at all this year?
Nope
Next!

-McDaniel has a special relationship with Achane and was already wanting to draft him before he was the HC of Miami, I doubt he'll be the last one
-McDaniel traded FOR Wilson and that was a 5th, oh sure Grier pushed the paperwork thru but I'm sure McDaniel had a big say in getting Wilson

That said, Acahne was not on the team when they acquired Wilson and things change. Wilson is going to be the RB3,
Expect Mostert to perhaps even get a full week of rest when Wilson returns, load management

All that said, Achane will be the RB1, Wilson might get some touches when Mostert is allowed to rest, Mostert has NEVER carried it 200+ in a season. At 31.5 years old, think that's gonna change anytime soon? I would not be grabbing Wilson and I doubt he reaches 100 yds in any game this season with Mostert and Achane healthy.

Once he gets healthy, he's an insurance policy. Nothing more.

He didn't ruin Elijah Mitchell's fantasy value when he came off IR in 2021. He's certainly not doing it for Achane and Mostert if they stay healthy.
Agreed, were it not for the emergence of Achane, maybe Wilson would have worked himself into a timeshare with Mostert. Wilson is a hard nosed runner and maybe they'll use him to close out games, but we're not talking about a supreme talent here that will likely supplant either Mostert or Achane, both of which are performing remarkably well.

Holding in large roster dynasty. I don't think he's coming off of IR for a while, though. Mostert and Achane haven't proven to be the most durable backs, though Achane has been hurt many fewer times than Mostert and Achane carried a load in the SEC. So . . .

He's actually younger (27) than I thought - figured he was more around Mostert's age. Probably has some shelf life left, just not sure it's going to be in Miami outside of a Mostert/Achane injury.

Hoping he doesn't come off IR this week, since I'll probably be forced to drop him if he does. Actually, since Yahoo only forces you to move a guy off IR when you make another roster move, maybe the best case would be his does come off late in the week and I get to see how he's re-integrated into the offense before making a decision

Just dropped him for Michael Wilson..

I just don't see playing a huge enough role with the emergence of Achane.

I get to see how he's re-integrated into the offense before making a decision

Seriously wouldn't hold your breath. He done got Pipped.

Just dropped him for Michael Wilson..

I just don't see playing a huge enough role with the emergence of Achane.

Seems like a good move to me. You generally don't want to be holding third-string running backs in redraft when you could roster a guy that's a starter in a reasonable offense that might soon be even better (when Murray comes back, if he does this year).

But I also think that when there’s a high-powered offense, you want as many pieces of it as possible

Agreed.

And I roster him in dynasty, so that was out of chagrin more than anything. I sort of was counting on using him during bye weeks and stuff (my running back room is a patchwork quilt of non-art. Ignatius might call it an abortion, as it were).

Holding in large roster dynasty. I don't think he's coming off of IR for a while, though. Mostert and Achane haven't proven to be the most durable backs, though Achane has been hurt many fewer times than Mostert and Achane carried a load in the SEC. So . . .
Today we might know. If he's healthy, I could see him coming off IR but not being active on game day. OTOH, roster spots will be an issue with the injuries at WR, LT, and Ramsay. He's a good insurance policy for Miami, and can do everything at a decent level. If they trust Brooks, maybe they leave Wilson on IR a little longer.

If they trust Brooks, maybe they leave Wilson on IR a little longer.

You know the Dolphins way better than I do (much respect), but I distinctly remember McDaniel saying that Wilson might not be back when his time was up on the IR and that they hoped to have him back some time "this season," which sort of let me know not to fully expect an immediate placement on the roster. I don't know what their plans are, but it sounded ominous when McDaniel said that. Sounded like a hernia to me. We shall see.

If they trust Brooks, maybe they leave Wilson on IR a little longer.

You know the Dolphins way better than I do (much respect), but I distinctly remember McDaniel saying that Wilson might not be back when his time was up on the IR and that they hoped to have him back some time "this season," which sort of let me know not to fully expect an immediate placement on the roster. I don't know what their plans are, but it sounded ominous when McDaniel said that. Sounded like a hernia to me. We shall see.
https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz
>>Needham and Rob Jones will practice at least some today and thus begin 21 day window to be activated. Jeff Wilson Jr. will not.

As for Jeff Wilson - who also is eligible to return now -- "We're working our way with Jeff. Feel good about that."... Also, McDaniel said he doesn't yet know if Armstead will be placed on IR, which would sideline him at least 4 games. But out Sunday.<<

McDaniel is often vague about injuries.

Agent Rosenhaus has a different take!

I think the team is managing the IR window and the 21 day window to return, and value to the team. Needham and Robert Jones were activated off IR and have 21 days to be added to the 53 man roster, or go on season-ending IR. At the moment, they're more valuable - we have RB covered for now.

>[Wilson’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said on his weekly Fox-7 segment on Sunday that Wilson is healthy and ready to return.<<

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article279108289.html#storylink=cpy

The other thing to keep in mind is that I think Wilson is pretty good, but IIRC there has never been a point in his career where he's been a reliable fantasy asset whom you could start with confidence. I remember a couple of years ago when Eli Mitchell was hurt and Wilson had come off IR, there were a couple games where he was a hot pickup, and even there his performance was uneven.

None of which is to say you shouldn't hold him, but don't let your expectations run wild

(ETA: I just looked at his game log, and there was a four game sequence last year before the McCaffrey trade that I had apparently blocked out. He rushed for 350 yards and 2 TDs during that stretch. But of course the Niners responded to that by trading for CMC and then trading Wilson to the Dolphins, which tells you something about how much confidence they had in him.)

FOX Miami’s Josh Moser reports Jeff Wilson (hip, injured reserve) will have his 21-day practice window activated this week.

The team has yet to formally announce anything as Moser’s source is Wilson’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus. However, an official word from the Dolphins could come at any moment. McDaniel shared on Monday that rookie De’Von Achane is dealing with a knee injury, which could spur the team to activate Wilson off injured reserve if Achane is to miss any amount of time. If Achane is active, Wilson will have to fight for touches in a crowded backfield that has been among the most explosive through five weeks. If Achane is absent for any period of time, we would expect to see Wilson in some kind of split with Raheem Mostert.

FOX Miami’s Josh Moser reports Jeff Wilson (hip, injured reserve) will have his 21-day practice window activated this week.

The team has yet to formally announce anything as Moser’s source is Wilson’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus. However, an official word from the Dolphins could come at any moment. McDaniel shared on Monday that rookie De’Von Achane is dealing with a knee injury, which could spur the team to activate Wilson off injured reserve if Achane is to miss any amount of time. If Achane is active, Wilson will have to fight for touches in a crowded backfield that has been among the most explosive through five weeks. If Achane is absent for any period of time, we would expect to see Wilson in some kind of split with Raheem Mostert.
have they activated him off of I/R? Has there been any reports that he's practicing with the team? Not seeing anything....

have they activated him off of I/R? Has there been any reports that he's practicing with the team? Not seeing anything....
Yes he practiced

Yes he practiced
Limited

Jeff Wilson (ribs/finger) was limited in Wednesday’s practice.

Wilson had his 21-day window to be activated from injured reserve opened today. Wilson was placed on injured reserve with a hip issue but is now being listed with two other injuries. It’s possible he picked up the injuries while working his way back from the hip issue that landed him on injured reserve. His status for Week 6 is truly up in the air.

Dolphins OC Frank Smith said “yes” when asked whether or not Jeff Wilson appears ready to play.

The Dolphins don’t need to activate Wilson for Week 6, but a recent injury to De’Von Achane could spur the team’s decision to activate him if he looks good in practice. Wilson was placed on injured reserve with injuries to his ribs and finger and should bring a pair of fresh legs to the Dolphins’ rushing attack. Fantasy managers in need of help should have already stashed Wilson in anticipation of his return.

Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel said Jeff Wilson (finger, ribs) could be on a rep count if he’s active for Week 6 against the Panthers.

Wilson would see no more than “25 reps” if he’s taken off injured reserve ahead of Sunday’s game against Carolina. Raheem Mostert will serve as Miami’s lead back with Devon Achane (knee, IR) sidelined. Wilson should be rostered in most 12-team formats even if he’s not playable against the Panthers.

Snap count doesn't concern me, Dolphins backs to date this season have shown they don't need huge touch counts to be productive. May throw him in this week over Mattison or Pierce for upside reasons

Doubtful.
Miami is juggling multiple injuries and limits on return from IR. I'm not sure how injured Wilson is as players on IR can't speak to reporters. And they must feel confident in Ahmed and Brooks.

>>Jaelan Phillips, Ingold, Rob Jones questionable. Needham doubtful. Perhaps setback for Jeff Wilson, which is unclear; players on IR cannot speak to reporters. So Mostert, Ahmed, Brooks are your Dolphins running backs Sunday... Liam likely starts at center

Connor Williams out. Jeff Wilson Jr. doubtful, surprisingly, in wake of McDaniel and Frank Smith saying he's ready to play.<<

Mostert has NEVER shown the ability to stay healthy. he's due to break a fingernail and be out 6-8 weeks ,dudes made of glass. they need to trade for a guy in the worst way. hey jets, whatcha want for Michael Carter???

Doubtful.
Miami is juggling multiple injuries and limits on return from IR. I'm not sure how injured Wilson is as players on IR can't speak to reporters. And they must feel confident in Ahmed and Brooks.

>>Jaelan Phillips, Ingold, Rob Jones questionable. Needham doubtful. Perhaps setback for Jeff Wilson, which is unclear; players on IR cannot speak to reporters. So Mostert, Ahmed, Brooks are your Dolphins running backs Sunday... Liam likely starts at center

Connor Williams out. Jeff Wilson Jr. doubtful, surprisingly, in wake of McDaniel and Frank Smith saying he's ready to play.<<

My understanding and from what I have read is it comes down to having a roster spot for him.

Mostert has NEVER shown the ability to stay healthy. he's due to break a fingernail and be out 6-8 weeks ,dudes made of glass. they need to trade for a guy in the worst way. hey jets, whatcha want for Michael Carter???
And wilson isn't injury prone? please...

Dolphins coach Mike McDaniels said Jeff Wilson (finger/ribs) did not suffer any setbacks last week and is “ready to go.”

McDaniel told reporters Wilson wasn’t activated from injured reserve because of roster limitations. The Dolphins used their only open roster spot on offensive lineman Robert Hunt. McDaniel did not say if Wilson would be activated this week. With Raheem Moster putting up video game numbers, Wilson would likely return to a minor role if he is active for Week 7. He would be in line to split backup duties with Salvon Ahmed. Wilson is worth a stash in deeper leagues, but the uncertainty around his status for the Dolphins’ upcoming game makes him hard to roster in standard formats.

Activated. In the backup mix with Ahmed.

>>So Jeff Wilson joins Fins 53. Needham not yet. Tanner Conner elevated.<<

https://x.com/flasportsbuzz/status/...sbuzz/status/1715779846666637317?s=20[/QUOTE]
Tanner Conner might be the whitest name I have ever heard.

As recently as last year
2 games 17/119 and 17/120 on the ground, he's capable of chunk plays
Clearly a back up to Mostert who is off to the races but I expectWilson to see snaps

Achane is OUT
Brooks is OUT
Ahmed is pretty Meh in m book but he has some fans in Miami.

Dolphins HC Mike McDaniel said the team plans to give Jeff Wilson “some touches” in Week 8 against the Patriots.

According to McDaniel, the team had plans to give Wilson more touches last week, but things didn’t go as planned in the 31-17 loss to the Eagles. Wilson and backup Salvon Ahmed combined for only four touches in the defeat, while Raheem Mostert led the backfield with 10 touches. Wilson should have an opportunity to see more looks in Week 8 against the Patriots in what should be a positive game script for the 5-2 Dolphins. We’d still be hesitant to trust him outside of the deepest of fantasy leagues.

So it comes down to Mostert, Achane and Wilson. No Ahmed or that other CFL-level dude. Wilson spells the big horses from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread