What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jerick McKinnon, KC (1 Viewer)

Not exactly counting on a lot of production from 3rd/4th rookie picks so I'll take the guys with upside.
You can't count on production from your late picks at all, either now or 3 years down the road. But you're certainly better off finding out what you have sooner rather than later. I don't want to have to keep a late round pick on my bench for 3 years before I discover whether or not he makes it in the NFL. I'd preferr take my chances on a guy like Isaiah Crowell than McKinnon, for strategy rather than talent. Given their situations, the former has a better chance for production this season and more likely will reveal himself by year end.

No disrespect intended against McKinnon, as I like him as a player. His situation doesn't thrill me.

Last edited by a moderator:
cloppbeast said:
Not exactly counting on a lot of production from 3rd/4th rookie picks so I'll take the guys with upside.
You can't count on production from your late picks at all, either now or 3 years down the road. But you're certainly better off finding out what you have sooner rather than later. I don't want to have to keep a late round pick on my bench for 3 years before I discover whether or not he makes it in the NFL. I'd preferr take my chances on a guy like Isaiah Crowell than McKinnon, for strategy rather than talent. Given their situations, the former has a better chance for production this season and more likely will reveal himself by year end.

No disrespect intended against McKinnon, as I like him as a player. His situation doesn't thrill me.
how so? Cromwell is 3rd string

cloppbeast said:

how so? Cromwell is 3rd string
What do you think is easier to overcome to start AP or Tate + West?

Depends on if Adrian continues to prove himself as the freak that he is or he shows signs of age. Remember the people that hitched their wagon to LT until the end. If it wasn't Adrian, the easy money would be on replacing 29 year old v 2 young backs. Takes one injury & rest is history's where Crowell needs 2

Depends on if Adrian continues to prove himself as the freak that he is or he shows signs of age. Remember the people that hitched their wagon to LT until the end. If it wasn't Adrian, the easy money would be on replacing 29 year old v 2 young backs. Takes one injury & rest is history's where Crowell needs 2
But it is. Tate and West are marginal talents IMHO. Crowell has the chance to shine and earn work in that backfield.

But it is. Tate and West are marginal talents IMHO. Crowell has the chance to shine and earn work in that backfield.
They're easier to overcome and we'll know sooner whether he will do it. So as a strategy taking Crowell makes a lot of sense.

But in deep leagues, I'll still take the guy I think is more likely to contribute.

I got McKinnon basically as a throw-in when I had AD. I then traded AD and still have McKinnon. I'll hang onto him unless a nice offer comes my way. (deep league though and there's room on my taxi squad)

They're easier to overcome and we'll know sooner whether he will do it. So as a strategy taking Crowell makes a lot of sense.

But in deep leagues, I'll still take the guy I think is more likely to contribute.

I got McKinnon basically as a throw-in when I had AD. I then traded AD and still have McKinnon. I'll hang onto him unless a nice offer comes my way. (deep league though and there's room on my taxi squad)
Completely understandable and if you have deep enough rosters think McKinnon is preferable to Crowell - I assumed that the know what you have discussion was based on shorter benches where there is higher opportunity cost for a roster spot.

Rotoworld:

Jerick McKinnon - RB - Vikings

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, "it seems like every day" rookie RB Jerick McKinnon Jerick McKinnon grabs your attention with his athleticism."

The top-100 pick reportedly made a sweet juke on a swing pass in Wednesday's practice to elude CB Kendall James before planting his foot in the ground and "shooting into the secondary." McKinnon is an interesting Dynasty prospect with 4.41 jets, a highly explosive 11-foot broad jump, and a 40 1/2-inch vertical at 5-foot-9, 209. There's a chance he's Adrian Peterson's heir apparent.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Jul 30 - 8:09 PM

Are Peterson owners trying to acquire this guy? In the event of an injury would he really be capable of stepping up and handling a major role in the offense? I'm interested by this kid... Have been for awhile. Enough that I snagged him late in a dynasty league. Still, I haven't a clue what to make of him just yet.

Vikings wake-up call: Day 8

http://espn.go.com/b...e-up-call-day-8

Excerpt:

Running back Jerick McKinnon made a handful of impressive catches on a day where Vikings quarterbacks struggled with their accuracy; he caught a low pass from Bridgewater, and bailed out the quarterback on his final throw of the day by making a one-handed grab on a ball that was behind him. McKinnon is new to catching passes, but he's not new to handling the ball; he was a quarterback in college, and it seems like that experience has given him surer hands as he begins his NFL career as a running back.

Bumping this up, he's looking really dynamic right now in this preseason game. Has made some really nice plays early on with the first team offense vs the first team defense.

Yeah he's a special athlete. He's just stuck behind the GOAT. 2-3 year wait unless AP gets hurt.

You never know how a RB is going to age -- it's basically a crapshoot. The best have a chance to play longer, but you can't assume it. Plenty of the greatest have been done by 29/30 (M Faulk, E Dickerson, etc).

Also, through age 28 Fred Taylor averaged 110.0 yards/game from scrimmage. ADP finished last year at 114.7 yards/game for his career. Taylor missed a lot more games, but he was an all-time great.

Also, also, people are really underestimating how good McKinnon might be IMO.

So... I absolutely wouldn't assume you'll have a 2-3 year wait with him.

I guess there's a small possiblity he could end up in some kind of time share like I'm anticipating is going to happen in Seattle this year. I'd be shocked if it happened this year though. McKinnon is super raw.

I guess there's a small possiblity he could end up in some kind of time share like I'm anticipating is going to happen in Seattle this year. I'd be shocked if it happened this year though. McKinnon is super raw.
He's going to see little to no work this year save a AD injury.

Yeah i agree with that. Even if there is an AP injury we could be looking at a RBBC this year.

He's struggled in camp with pass pro. Plus he's learning a new position so it wouldn't surprise me if he shared carries. He's awesome though.

He looked better that I thought he would. I wasn't sure what to expect but he will put up decent numbers IF he sees the field.

Yeah he's a special athlete. He's just stuck behind the GOAT. 2-3 year wait unless AP gets hurt.
I don't agree here either. I fully believe this is Peterson's last year with the Vikings. In 2015 he'll have a 15.4 million dollar cap number. I've read rumors that Peterson would be shopped if they struggle again, and I don't care if it's Peterson, I don't think you pay a 30 year old back QB Money.

Wow that's interesting. I hadn't heard that before. If that's true then McKinnon should be drafted in the second round maybe.

I don't agree here either. I fully believe this is Peterson's last year with the Vikings. In 2015 he'll have a 15.4 million dollar cap number. I've read rumors that Peterson would be shopped if they struggle again, and I don't care if it's Peterson, I don't think you pay a 30 year old back QB Money.
If they were to move on from Peterson, they'd save 13 million in cap space.

Trade him during the season to the colts.

As an ADP owner in a contract dynasty league with a hard cap, I drafted both Asiata and this kid yesterday but I only have room for one. I was thinking of stowing the safer bet in being the backup of Asiata thinking I could probably get this guy next year and save some cap dollars as a 3rd rd pick makes more than the league minimum and he would make the minimum next year if he scored less than 50 pts this year. But with the age of ADP, and I realize he is a freak of nature and wouldn't surprise me in the least if he was putting up 1400 yards on the ground at 32, I'm leaning toward rostering this guy. I want to see what happens in preseason game #3, but at this point I'm thinking of rostering him...

As an ADP owner in a contract dynasty league with a hard cap, I drafted both Asiata and this kid yesterday but I only have room for one. I was thinking of stowing the safer bet in being the backup of Asiata thinking I could probably get this guy next year and save some cap dollars as a 3rd rd pick makes more than the league minimum and he would make the minimum next year if he scored less than 50 pts this year. But with the age of ADP, and I realize he is a freak of nature and wouldn't surprise me in the least if he was putting up 1400 yards on the ground at 32, I'm leaning toward rostering this guy. I want to see what happens in preseason game #3, but at this point I'm thinking of rostering him...
I have to think if AP were to go down this season that neither of these guys would carry the full load anyway so you might as well go with the guy who has a higher upside. I'm of the opinion McKinnon will end up as the starting back, possibly as soon as 2015 if Peterson's contract becomes an issue for MIN.

He looked very good in his first preseason game running the ball - showed the shiftiness and burst that you saw watching him perviously. Saw he bobbled a return, but - oh well.

I drafted him and threw him on my PS in a leage... He may end up coming off of the PS though if they actually intend on using him as a COP guy. Will be interesting if he continues to show well in games and started to get those opportunities. Expectations should be tempered though, it's obviously hard to pull a shoe in HOF'er like AP to put in a COP guy, but that's what they've been saying.

I saw only a bit of the game, and it's only preseason, but he didn't look "small" out there -- short maybe, but not small. Not expecting much this season aside from some spot duty & gadget plays, but as a dynasty owner, I'm very optimistic about his future. I think he could be a lead back, or at the very least, a dynamic member of a committee.

The question is, can he be a starter or is he really only a COP?
About the same size as Rice and Tiki and bigger than players like Charles, Bush and C Johnson. And with mind-blowing measurables.

No reason he couldn't start if it turns out he's a good enough football player. (He is.)

I'm a buyer of this kid but need to see a LOT more. His college offense (and competition) make it very difficult to gage his running style and instincts IMO. Love the measurables and athlete, like what I'm hearing and seeing (in limited action) but still very wary.

I'm a buyer of this kid but need to see a LOT more. His college offense (and competition) make it very difficult to gage his running style and instincts IMO. Love the measurables and athlete, like what I'm hearing and seeing (in limited action) but still very wary.
Only one game, but the FL tape was pretty impressive IMO.

Also - landed him at 2.11 in a 16-team start 2 RB league... as an example for those asking about his price. Didn't want to risk losing him.

Also - landed him at 2.11 in a 16-team start 2 RB league... as an example for those asking about his price. Didn't want to risk losing him.
I got him at the end of the 2nd round of a 10 team contract dynasty league. 2.8 or 2.9 (I had both). I took Asiata with the other of those two picks. I had the 1.3 and 1.9 as well and 3 roster spots to fill. Sammy Watkins, Zack Ertz and this kid. So after I drafted these two, my draft was over. I still picked up a couple more players but these are the three I'm keeping (I think).

i drafted this kid really late a month or so ago.

any idea how i can get more recent adp data to figure out where i need to draft him now?

i know there has been some anecdotal info in this thread, but i'm curious if there's some way to do it on MFL.

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread