What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jerick McKinnon, KC (1 Viewer)

looks like he's going about 3.08 according to the post August 1st data.

highest is 2.07.

non-idp ppr.

hopefully that's useful for someone else as well.

Rotoworld:

Jerick McKinnon's SPARQ score of 147.5 was one of the top scores among all running backs over the last 16 years.

As you can read in the Zach Whitman column linked below, SPARQ is a metric developed by Nike to apply a single composite score to a player's athleticism. An elite NFL athlete is around 140 and the 150+ range is reserved for the Calvin Johnson types. The point is that although McKinnon is very raw as he comes out of Georgia Southern and has very little pass pro experience, he's a freak. "Backs with McKinnons speed, lower-body explosiveness and upper-body strength just don't exist," wrote Whitman. He'll be a change-of-pace back behind Matt Asiata to start, but his fantasy ceiling is far higher. McKinnon is a solid stash while we see where Adrian Peterson's case goes.

Source: Analyzing Player Athleticism

Sep 12 - 11:20 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/48354/71/analyzing-player-athleticism

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Jerick McKinnon's SPARQ score of 147.5 was one of the top scores among all running backs over the last 16 years.

As you can read in the Zach Whitman column linked below, SPARQ is a metric developed by Nike to apply a single composite score to a player's athleticism. An elite NFL athlete is around 140 and the 150+ range is reserved for the Calvin Johnson types. The point is that although McKinnon is very raw as he comes out of Georgia Southern and has very little pass pro experience, he's a freak. "Backs with McKinnons speed, lower-body explosiveness and upper-body strength just don't exist," wrote Whitman. He'll be a change-of-pace back behind Matt Asiata to start, but his fantasy ceiling is far higher. McKinnon is a solid stash while we see where Adrian Peterson's case goes.

Source: Analyzing Player Athleticism

Sep 12 - 11:20 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/48354/71/analyzing-player-athleticism
McKinnon only flaw is that he has extremely small hands. It may not effect his ability to catch the ball but could cause him to fumble. IIRC, he fumbled in the Senior bowl.

Rotoworld:

Jerick McKinnon - RB - Vikings

Jerick McKinnon played on 21-of-66 snaps in Sunday's loss to the Patriots.

Although McKinnon only received four touches, he actually got a significant amount of run. Perhaps the Vikings will make him a bigger part of the running game after watching Matt Asiata plod his way to 36 yards on 13 carries. McKinnon remains a stash as we wait for more Adrian Peterson fallout.

Related: Matt Asiata

Source: Matt Vensel on Twitter

Sep 15 - 9:58 AM

Some of the deals I seen for him last week were just ridiculous. Now is a better time to buy while everyone is disappointed.

I'm keeping McKinnon stashed because I doubt AP will be back for a while and Asiata looks average.

However, I have to admit, I have yet to see antything in the pre or regular season that makes McKinnon look 'Freakish' or special.

I'm keeping McKinnon stashed because I doubt AP will be back for a while and Asiata looks average.

However, I have to admit, I have yet to see antything in the pre or regular season that makes McKinnon look 'Freakish' or special.
Vikings just announced AP will play Sunday until due process. Will have to wait and see what the nfl does, but might change people's decisions on McKinnon off the wire or as a stash with a lot of other backups likely getting a bump due to injury this week.

So I'm in a keeper league (not dynasty), but we keep 2 Vets and 1 Rookie each year.

Already have Brandin Cooks, so I am considering dropping Jordan Matthews for McKinnon. I have the last shot at waivers this week but I think unless they announce a suspension for AP tonight I should be able to get him.

Seems weird to me how silent the NFL has been on AP thus far, and with the Governor of Minn calling out the Vikings among others, I think there's a good chance he ends up missing a bunch of games/ rest of the season.

So, is he worth the stash? Wouldn't be getting him for immediate help of course, more the possibility of helping later in the year or possibly next season.

Thanks!

So I'm in a keeper league (not dynasty), but we keep 2 Vets and 1 Rookie each year.

Already have Brandin Cooks, so I am considering dropping Jordan Matthews for McKinnon. I have the last shot at waivers this week but I think unless they announce a suspension for AP tonight I should be able to get him.

Seems weird to me how silent the NFL has been on AP thus far, and with the Governor of Minn calling out the Vikings among others, I think there's a good chance he ends up missing a bunch of games/ rest of the season.

So, is he worth the stash? Wouldn't be getting him for immediate help of course, more the possibility of helping later in the year or possibly next season.

Thanks!
DERP DERP DERP ASSIRSTANT DERP COACH ER DERP

I traded Asiata in the league I own him to the ADP owner. In the other league in which I own ADP and McKinnon, I'm obviously sitting on the rook. I've got him for the league minimum for the next two years. I had planned on riding ADP and letting this kid sit there while age did it's thing to Peterson, but now it's a mess. Peterson might play this weekend. He might be indefinitely suspended. To me it's a 50/50 proposition.

Even if Peterson is cleared of all charges, age will catch up to him. Someone will be the heir to the RB position. That person is not Asiata more than to keep the throne warm for the real successor.

Ok I don't think Asiata is cut out to be an all season NFL starter, whether due to his ypc, big play capability or whatever. He's UDFA backup material.

The Vikes drafted McKinnon in the 3rd which is practically 1st round territory for RB's these days. For anyone thinking lotto ticket this is as good as any I suspect.

Ok I don't think Asiata is cut out to be an all season NFL starter, whether due to his ypc, big play capability or whatever. He's UDFA backup material.

The Vikes drafted McKinnon in the 3rd which is practically 1st round territory for RB's these days. For anyone thinking lotto ticket this is as good as any I suspect.
My problem is, how long before McKinnon is up to speed in passpro to be the starter. That could be a few weeks.

Thu, Sep 18

ESPN 1500 Twin Cities says Jerick McKinnon "should definitely be more of a factor starting Sunday."

Advice: Anyone who has seen Matt Asiata stagger his way to a career 3.56 YPC knows this should be the case. The question is if the Vikings see it. Perhaps now that the coaches have a full week of preparation without Adrian Peterson, they'll install the freaky McKinnon as a major part of the gameplan. He's not startable yet in fantasy, but he's a must hold. If the Vikings want to move the football on the ground, McKinnon is their best bet.

More: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

(Rotoworld.com)

Rotoworld:

Vikings OC Norv Turner said he will use both Matt Asiata and Jerick McKinnon in Sunday's game against the Saints.

Turner added that he might use one back more than the other if someone gets a hot hand. Asiata will have the first crack to get that hot hand as he'll almost certainly start the game, but we know this low-upside bulldozer with a career 3.56 YPC won't help the Adrian Peterson-less Vikings move the ball consistently. The freaky McKinnon could, but has to prove reliable and pass protect better (one sack allowed on three pass pro chances Week 2). Asiata remains the "safer" Week 3 fantasy flex play, but McKinnon is the better long-term hold.

Related: Jerick McKinnon

Source: Chris Tomasson on Twitter

Sep 18 - 12:36 PM

Looking really good in the first half (vastly more explosive than Asiata).

6-86-0 rushing (nearly had a TD), with a long run of 55 yards, and 1-17 receiving.

Bridgewater looks great, too.

Rotoworld:

Jerick McKinnon rushed for 135 yards on 18 carries in the Vikings' Week 4, 41-28 win over the Falcons.

He added one catch for 17 yards on three targets. After playing just 17 snaps last week, McKinnon was a major part of the offense against Atlanta's sieve-like defense. A big-time athlete, McKinnon's freakish ability showed on a number of plays. On his long run of 55 yards, McKinnon avoided four or five defenders. He later almost broke a 69-yard touchdown run, but tripped around the edge. McKinnon originally had a seven-yard touchdown on the field, but it was ruled he was down at the one-yard line. If the Vikings continue to use McKinnon, he could easily flirt with RB2 numbers. He's a must-own at this point, even though Matt Asiata will get the bulk of the goal-line reps.

Sep 28 - 7:55 PM

Of course I dropped him after the Vikes wouldn't give him the time of day vs the Saints, now this. Thrilled to see how, the talent is starting to shone through, Turner needs stars to carry his offense.

Love his Dynasty outlook going forward. My expectations are tempered because he is a rookie, but love his long term value and potential. Glad I have him and Crowell as my RB 5& 6

Love his Dynasty outlook going forward. My expectations are tempered because he is a rookie, but love his long term value and potential. Glad I have him and Crowell as my RB 5& 6
Yeah, owning him in dynasty feels really good today. I was pumped when I drafted him in startup, didn't expect the payoff this early.

Rotoworld:

Speaking at Monday's presser, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer called Jerick McKinnon a change-of-pace back.

Zimmer alluded to 2015 when asked about McKinnon becoming an every-down back. We wouldn't expect Zimmer to say anything else after primary between-the-tackles option Matt Asiata rang up three touchdowns on Sunday, but McKinnon should finally be a fixture in the Vikings' offense. If he can get at least 10-15 weekly touches, it could be only a matter of weeks before he supplants Asiata. The talent differential between the two players is a canyon. McKinnon should be 100 percent owned in 10-12 team leagues.

Related: Matt Asiata

Source: Matt Vensel on Twitter

Sep 29 - 1:26 PM

So bitter I could've picked this kid up a few weeks and instead got enamored with Jordan Matthews. (Eagles fan here) Just didn't have the patience...

This may have been discussed, but is AP expected back in Minn next year? I'm in a league that keeps 2 Vets and 1 Rookie each season so having a stud rookie RB can be huge. (My rookie keeper from last year is Le'Veon :cool:

In this league I start 2 RBs and have Bell, Gore, and Jeremy Hill so I'm more interested in what his prospects are for 2015 and beyond.

So bitter I could've picked this kid up a few weeks and instead got enamored with Jordan Matthews. (Eagles fan here) Just didn't have the patience...

This may have been discussed, but is AP expected back in Minn next year? I'm in a league that keeps 2 Vets and 1 Rookie each season so having a stud rookie RB can be huge. (My rookie keeper from last year is Le'Veon :cool:

In this league I start 2 RBs and have Bell, Gore, and Jeremy Hill so I'm more interested in what his prospects are for 2015 and beyond.
In the post right above yours, Rotoworld says that Zimmer mentioned next year as a "feature back" opportunity for McKinnon.

There was a report last week that Peterson wasn't in Minny's plans after this year.

Rotoworld:

Jerick McKinnon (ankle) remained limited on Tuesday.

There's been zero concern surrounding McKinnon's status on a short week. The Vikings are just managing his reps after he touched the ball 19 times in Sunday's win over the Falcons. McKinnon is an upside FLEX play for Week 5.

Sep 30 - 7:23 PM

Rotoworld:

Jerick McKinnon had seven carries for 24 yards in Thursday night's loss to Green Bay.

He was targeted fives times, adding 22 yards on three catches. Even with Minnesota playing from behind, McKinnon saw less touches than Matt Asiata. His pass protection continues to keep him off the field in third down situations. McKinnon will receive an upgrade with Teddy Bridgewater expected to return next week, but will be no more than a boom-or-bust FLEX play.

Oct 3 - 12:05 AM

Rotoworld:

Jerick McKinnon had seven carries for 24 yards in Thursday night's loss to Green Bay.

He was targeted fives times, adding 22 yards on three catches. Even with Minnesota playing from behind, McKinnon saw less touches than Matt Asiata. His pass protection continues to keep him off the field in third down situations. McKinnon will receive an upgrade with Teddy Bridgewater expected to return next week, but will be no more than a boom-or-bust FLEX play.

Ponder completely missed him on at least 2 passes. A couple of the possessions he was given were ruined by turnovers. I thought he played better than the final stat line, but obviously not as good as last week.

My problem is, how long before McKinnon is up to speed in passpro to be the starter. That could be a few weeks.
In dynasty, that's really not a problem.

I've rejected some pretty nice offers for him as he sits on my taxi squad. IMO, he's a keeper worth at least a late 1st right now. I assume he'll improve on pass protection, keep in mind he has a lot less experience at RB than even other rookies.

Rotoworld:

Ponder completely missed him on at least 2 passes. A couple of the possessions he was given were ruined by turnovers. I thought he played better than the final stat line, but obviously not as good as last week.
IIRC, even Peterson struggled with Ponder.

Rotoworld:

Jerick McKinnon played 31-of-80 offensive snaps in Thursday night's Week 5 loss to the Packers.

He turned 10 touches into 46 yards. It's about the same usage rate as last week's breakout, when McKinnon played 34-of-79 snaps. Matt Asiata will continue to dominate early-down work as the leader of this committee, but there's no doubt that McKinnon is where the upside lies. He'll be back on the FLEX radar in Week 6 as a boom-or-bust option with Teddy Bridgewater under center.

Oct 3 - 10:42 AM

I guess it's eye of the beholder. I thought the attempt to get Peppers was a good effort especially as no other Vike seemed interested in giving any chase at all.

Overall the playcalling indicated that the coaching staff had no intent to win the game or show anything for future opponents. This game is a wash because of Ponder. However, for 2 games now McKinnon has been the COP guy. He's gone in for 1 series after 2 for Asiata, with a 2:1 carry share for Asiata more or less. So that is what it is.

But even though this is long term, this train is hopefully going to arrive week 10, 11 or 12. And even beginning next year is ok. It doesn't have to happen now, but mid to late this season would be nice. Personally I'm happy considering when I saw him at the Saints game McKinnon was a total afterthought, now he's a part of the gameplan. McKinnon had maybe 1 chance out in space the whole game and Ponder badly overthrew him. And the team as a whole had 2 real red zone opportunities (before the final drive) and McKinnon was in both times, one time getting MN to the 14 and another to the 8. Add in 5 targets. He's just a backup prospect for me but somehow he ended up with 6.1 in my 0.5 PPR league in 1/3rd of the action, seems great, I have no idea how he got that. It's a subtle straw but I will grab it.

One other thing I came away with is that Jarius Wright is now definitely the no. 1 WR for this team, whenever TB is playing again he will have value.

Agree with Saints. McKinnon's the guy in 2015 (probably minus short yardage) but sooner would be nice.

And with one more week of team-leading targets (10, 8 last two) Wright should be considered the #1 WR going forward.

He's getting slammed for bad tackling?
Id say that some guys may be questioning his commitment and/or acknowledging that the game may be too fast for him jus yet.

Ive watched the clip some, and I personally thought he was in pursuit, but was hindered, and then blocked..

Overall I don't think its no stretch to say, that the gameplay isn't exactly second nature too him just yet..

Its most likely why some Coachs say things like, its on McKinnon to show hes ready for more...

That was just a bad game to draw anything from, because weve seen the Vikes play better..

Users who are viewing this thread