What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (3 Viewers)

I say all that, to say this: if he falls past the 2nd round, I think there's a good chance that means he's not getting drafted at all (ala La'el Collins.)
One difference between Mixon and Collins was the fact that Collins and his agent were telling teams NOT to pick him if he fell out of the first and/or second round. They outright said that he would not sign with any team that picked him late second day or third day. They were intentionally positioning for Collins to be a free agent after the draft. I doubt Mixon will have the same sentiment. I would expect that Mixon will go in a similar range as Maurice Clarett did years ago. Pretty sure that was late third round by Denver.

One difference between Mixon and Collins was the fact that Collins and his agent were telling teams NOT to pick him if he fell out of the first and/or second round. They outright said that he would not sign with any team that picked him late second day or third day. They were intentionally positioning for Collins to be a free agent after the draft. I doubt Mixon will have the same sentiment. I would expect that Mixon will go in a similar range as Maurice Clarett did years ago. Pretty sure that was late third round by Denver.
Also, Collins' actions after the murder of his gf made him SEEM guilty. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yahoo Sports' Eric Edholm reports that the teams he spoke with at the NFL Combine say Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon is a top-75 pick, perhaps even a second-rounder.
Incredibly, Edholm listed Mixon, who wasn't invited to the NFL Combine, as an NFL Combine "winner," drawing buzz through his absence. We'll know more about Mixon's standing in the NFL following Oklahoma's Pro Day, but his arrow is pointing up.

Source: Yahoo

IMO not allowing Mixon and Kelly to attend the combine hurts the teams more than the players.  Instead of having them there so all teams have access to them, they now have to go to the players' pro days and meet with them.  Instead of having them in a high-pressure environment that the NFL has total control over, they now give the players extra time to prepare for the interviews and allows them to meet in a more player-friendly environment of pro-days.  Another example of the NFL cutting off it's nose to spite it's face.

IMO not allowing Mixon and Kelly to attend the combine hurts the teams more than the players.  Instead of having them there so all teams have access to them, they now have to go to the players' pro days and meet with them.  Instead of having them in a high-pressure environment that the NFL has total control over, they now give the players extra time to prepare for the interviews and allows them to meet in a more player-friendly environment of pro-days.  Another example of the NFL cutting off it's nose to spite it's face.
It's about the PR, not the effectiveness.

It's about the PR, not the effectiveness.
I understand that, but even in that context it's very short sighted.  They will both get drafted anyway and life goes on for them and the NFL.

ETA - Its the draft that will get a lot more mainstream attention, so even for PR, banning them from the combine has a very limited effect.

Someone above made a great point.  If a team doesn't have him off their board he's gonna be great value if he falls into round 3.

A couple GMs have already publicly stated he's on their board, and i'm sure some who haven't spoke up have him on their board as well.  

One of those teams is gonna jump on him before he falls too far.  He's not gonna free fall like some "analysts" are predicting.

It's called a self-inflicted wound, not a self-inflicting wound.

"Unexcusable" is not a word.

Plus, he is just not very well-spoken.

It probably does not bother most people, but imo, if you're going to be on tv/radio, have a solid grasp of the English language.

Jalen Rose bothers me for the same reason.
Deion is the worst

michael Irvin too

emmitt smith

maybe it's a Dallas cowboy thing... Aikman isn't that great either 

After watching a lot more highlights of this guy I can see the buzz. Wow. Three down player who is great receiving threat. He's probably top 15 without that tape. Even with it still happening. We're just too much a visually fixated society. 

So yeah I don't see him lasting past the third. Definitely revaluating him for dynasty. Think he'll be on par with Cook in ppr. Might take him an extra season if he's drafted behind a starter but talent will rise if he keeps his nose clean. 

Broad jump 2" ahead of Cooks/Perine, I think average at best but not sure where it stacks up to be exact.
Part of my Type A personality/anal nature is spelling. It's "Cook", not Cooks. Every time someone does this I think of Brandin Cooks and I think ???.

Part of my Type A personality/anal nature is spelling. It's "Cook", not Cooks. Every time someone does this I think of Brandin Cooks and I think ???.
Feel like we've seen an explosion of Cook(s) entering the league.

I will from time to time spell it both ways for all the various Cook(s) and to add to my confusion the best player on my team in high school, best player in the state, was friend of mine named Brandon Cook and I can't get that name out of my mind so almost never get Saint version right.

Feel like we've seen an explosion of Cook(s) entering the league.

I will from time to time spell it both ways for all the various Cook(s) and to add to my confusion the best player on my team in high school, best player in the state, was friend of mine named Brandon Cook and I can't get that name out of my mind so almost never get Saint version right.
Too Many Cooks?

Don't know if Perine is going to run the 40 but if he does how he runs will actually make me take a second look at Mixons vs the field. Meaning if it's considerably faster than what he ran a few days ago in Indy I'll conclude the OU track is faster.

Good time. But laser timed at the combine probably about the same as Cook and Fournette.
Not sure it's that much of a drop but they got his time all over the place. As high as 4.37, as low as 4.6 but most seem to be in the 4.37-4.43 range.

Perine is running so as soon as we know his time we might be able to draw somewhat relative impact of track.

From just one source, Tony Pauline, he said Perine just made a small improvement to the 4.65's and he added that an adjustment of +.05 for these times over combine is about right. Either way strong to super strong run for Mixon.

I really hate that the No Fun League didn't let him participate at the combine. So hard to get an accurate comparison.

As probably the biggest Ameer Abdullah fan in the world, it is concerning to see the Lions listed as a team kicking the tires. Mixon has talent, despite the off the field issues, and I wouldn't expect Ameer to keep him off the field.

Don't want to get in to this in a thread that's not about Ameer, but Ameer had no injury history entering the NFL, and had not missed a game due to injury in the NFL before tearing the ligament in his foot last season. It is far too early to say something like "Ameer can't stay on the field." 

As probably the biggest Ameer Abdullah fan in the world, it is concerning to see the Lions listed as a team kicking the tires. Mixon has talent, despite the off the field issues, and I wouldn't expect Ameer to keep him off the field.

You can't keep anyone off the field if you can't get on the field yourself. 
:goodposting:

Ameer cant stay on the field.....
:goodposting:

Don't want to get in to this in a thread that's not about Ameer, but Ameer had no injury history entering the NFL, and had not missed a game due to injury in the NFL before tearing the ligament in his foot last season. It is far too early to say something like "Ameer can't stay on the field." 
I was in the minority in the Detroit Lions thread when I suggested that Detroit should look at RB. After discussing I felt like yeah, they have depth and Zenner showing what he did at the end of the season might have been enough to get them out of the RB market, but I also said that Detroit (to me) looked like a great RB away from being a really really good team. Their defense reminds me a lot of ATL... young and up-and-coming. Their QB is solid. WRs are good as a collective group. RB... Abdullah I was a fan of entering this season but his running style is not optimal for a 3 down back. Mixon is a 3 down back. 

I would be very bummed if Detroit went for Mixon, but I can see Detroit as a logical place for him. Yes, there is some risk for selecting Mixon if he is a knucklehead (I happen to think he's got his head on straight now). Detroit is a team that doesn't really need a RB, but could use a stud if they fell into one. If Mixon doesn't pan out that's okay because Detroit has some capable backs. 

Ameer's injury is a quite serious one. The fact that Detroit is kicking the tires should be a red flag and possibly indicates that Ammer's recovery has either not gone entirely well or his prognosis for a return to being a starter is not good. 

However, a lot of teams kick the tires of guys they think might be good value picks in later rounds. Mixon seems to be improving his draft stock, which may be too rich for a team like Detroit at this point as they do have other needs in the first 2 rounds. 

I do believe if he makes it to the back 1/3 of the 2nd round he won't slip any further. Teams like Detroit, GB, NE, Seattle, DEN, etc may be willing to gamble at the end of round 2 on potential round 1 talent pay off. 

Users who are viewing this thread