What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (3 Viewers)

Joe Mixon rushed 11 times for 39 yards in the Bengals' Wild Card win over the Ravens, adding three receptions for 17 additional yards.

Mixon was never able to make any significant impact on the game against the stout Baltimore defensive front on a night that volume was an issue for the entire offense. Baltimore led in time of possession and had a fumble returned for a 98-yard touchdown in the second half that gave the ball right back, further denting the volume for the Cincinnati offense. Mixon will look to get back on track in the Divisional Round as the Bengals travel to Buffalo to face the two-seed Bills.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Joe Mixon rushed 20 times for 105 yards and a touchdown, adding two receptions for 18 yards on three targets in the Bengals' Divisional Round win over the Bills.​

Mixon's TD came on a 1-yard run after multiple penalties set the Bengals up for a power goal line run. Mixon was originally ruled down, but the call was overturned following a Bengals challenge. Mixon could be in for a less productive day against the Chiefs, provided that Patrick Mahomes can deliver more offense than Josh Allen did against the Bengals. Mixon was out-targeted 5-to-3 by Samaje Perine, so it's possible his role will be reduced if the Bengals get into a shootout next week. Still, Mixon has high-end upside as part of an explosive Bengals offense.
Jan 22, 2023, 6:33 PM ET

Goodberry
@JoeGoodberry
It's very hard to justify it. Old Bengals would keep him because they wouldn't attempt to maximize the cap space. The hope is the new Bengals will try to squeeze EVERYTHING under the cap for the next year or two.

Bryce Spalding@bryce_spalding
What do they do with Mixon? He played 35% of snaps in the biggest game of the season. How do you comfortably go into next season paying him the 3rd highest cap hit on the team?
----------------
michael
@oh1om1ke
Do we draft a running back next year then?
Goodberry
@JoeGoodberry
Yeah
------
Ryan
@RyPri513
Chris Evans not going to be a guy?
Goodberry@JoeGoodberry
No

He's looked worn out. Playing 38 games the last two seasons and deep into January/February probably has not helped but he looks a bit gassed.

I've read before the Bengals are the least hesitant team to cut a player for cap purposes, they've done it but that was not a philosophy that the mainly family run Bengals liked to do. So I tend to think he won't be cut, at least not this year.

This is a team which is not afraid to draft RB's high with the second round as their sweet spot. They used b2b second round picks on Gio and Hill in 13 and 14. Got Mixon in round 2 in 17 and have since refrained from taking them high but that's because they had Mixon.

My belief is Mixon is kept, they will be a leading candidate to spend a second or third round pick on a RB. This RB will be the lesser part of the RBBC barring a Mixon injury for 1-2 years so will likely depress their stock. This situation over the next 1-2 years will start to look heavily like what we've seen with Dallas the past two seasons.

I feel like he's better suited to Perine's role going forward but he's too expensive for that job and doesn't seem to have the "juice" to be the early down guy either.

Even before this incident, I was thinking dumping Mixon would be a wise move in order to keep Burrow/Chase/Higgins together.

Giving Higgins Mixon's money (and then some) is a no-brainer right now.

On field Mixon is probably a C level RB, very negligible difference between him and Perine.

Even before this incident, I was thinking dumping Mixon would be a wise move in order to keep Burrow/Chase/Higgins together.

On field Mixon is probably a C level RB, very negligible difference between him and Perine.
Yeah it could turn into a Ray Rice situation, where his behavior was bad enough but his true sin was his declining production

Well a few of us might have jumped to conclusions. But without factoring anything related to this alleged incident this morning the Bengals beat writer for The Athletic did one of those likely to be cut/re-structured articles and Mixon was one of a few cut candidates. That's just a beat writer speculation and my guess , which I posted already, was he'd be back. I'm feeling less certain of that prediction now. Good the charges are dropped but if Bengals were truly on the fence with keeping him he might need to come out of this totally clean.

Last edited:
Everyone ready to hang the guy.

Guilty until proven innocent.
Apparently this hasn’t been confirmed. His agent is saying the charges will be dropped tomorrow.

Agents say a lot of things in the interest of their clients.

It’s not about guilty until proven innocent, it’s reaction to a serious allegation. News gets reported and people react.

Just like he might be innocent, he also might not. And ya know what? He might be guilty and have the charges dropped. It’s a complex world we all live in.

Everyone ready to hang the guy.

Guilty until proven innocent.
Apparently this hasn’t been confirmed. His agent is saying the charges will be dropped tomorrow.

Agents say a lot of things in the interest of their clients.

It’s not about guilty until proven innocent, it’s reaction to a serious allegation. News gets reported and people react.

Just like he might be innocent, he also might not. And ya know what? He might be guilty and have the charges dropped. It’s a complex world we all live in.
People make this mistake all the time. “Innocent until proven guilty” is a legal concept, but doesn’t restrict individuals from forming their own opinions. As far as the state of California is concerned, OJ Simpson is not guilty of murder. According to me, that mofo did it.

It is true we sometimes jump to conclusions based on incomplete info, and I’ll wait to draw any definitive conclusions, but Mixon has hardly earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being a good person

Something to consider, Perine is almost definitely gone also so that piece doesn’t help.

The good news is if the Bengals use this as an excuse to do what needs to be done (get cheaper at RB), they can probably get a week1 starter in the draft with the way teams all value the position now. The bad news is they may already need a starting LB to similarly replace Pratt so the picks are filling up fast.

Something to consider, Perine is almost definitely gone also so that piece doesn’t help.
Yep and of course he won't be expensive but Bengals got a lot of major players to extend.

If they do decide to move on from Mixon I'd think they are likely to keep Perine. They can find their starter in the draft but the problem for them is the draft is after FA. So if they let Mixon go and did not resign Perine I doubt they want to enter the draft with just Chris Evans and needing to draft at least 2 RB's. So got to assume they either keep Mixon, resign Perine, or sign another vet on the cheap, on the real cheap. But one way or another if they decide to cut Mixon a prime spot just opened up for next year.

The good news is if the Bengals use this as an excuse to do what needs to be done (get cheaper at RB), they can probably get a week1 starter in the draft with the way teams all value the position now. The bad news is they may already need a starting LB to similarly replace Pratt so the picks are filling up fast.

Mixon is incredibly replaceable so if not Perine they can find similar production for much cheaper pretty easily. Everyone always wanted this guy to be some kind of special RB but he just isn't, and never was.

Goodberry
@JoeGoodberry
It's very hard to justify it. Old Bengals would keep him because they wouldn't attempt to maximize the cap space. The hope is the new Bengals will try to squeeze EVERYTHING under the cap for the next year or two.

Bryce Spalding@bryce_spalding
What do they do with Mixon? He played 35% of snaps in the biggest game of the season. How do you comfortably go into next season paying him the 3rd highest cap hit on the team?
It was not a hard decision before this:
-------------------------------
Ben Baby@Ben_Baby
News story on Bengals RB Joe Mixon's arrest warrant on suspicion of aggravated menacing:
-------------------------------
Pretty easy decision to move on and maximize cap space.

Article on charges to be dropped

Apparently it stems from a road rage incident. Now is it possible that the accuser ramped things up with an accusation to sorta continue their road rage (I am mad at this guy so let me get him in trouble)? I mean it is not out of the realm of possibility. We'll see what comes out in the dismissal I suppose. Based on the seriousness of the allegation you would think that it being dropped quickly indicates that possibility since I don't think they be dropping charges of gun play so rapidly otherwise.

Wonder if either driver had dashcam footage.

-QG

Last edited:

Apparently it stems from a road rage incident. Now is it possible that the accuser ramped things up with an accusation to sorta continue their road rage (I am mad at this guy so let me get him in trouble)? I mean it is not out of the realm of possibility. We'll see what comes out in the dismissal I suppose. Based on the seriousness of the allegation you would think that it being dropped quickly indicates that possibility since I don't think they be dropping charges of gun play so rapidly otherwise.

-QG
Either she lied or she got paid. I tend to lean towards B, but who knows.

We need additional investigation before we would move forward with this case," a prosecutor told county judge Curt Kissinger, according to WCPO-TV.

Authorities reserved the right to refile the case at a later date. The prosecutor said the victim understands the need to dismiss the case and would be in favor of moving forward with the charge if it needs to be refiled.

I feel like he's better suited to Perine's role going forward but he's too expensive for that job and doesn't seem to have the "juice" to be the early down guy either.

-QG
Either she lied or she got paid. I tend to lean towards B, but who knows.

Really would need to see the police report sequence. Like did they have a disagreement, Mixon leaves, and then she filed a report making an exaggerated claim? With road rage (on both sides) people are capable of that. Is it possible it happened that way - if there are no witnesses who knows. Is it possible the dangling out there they could refile face saving - perhaps too. How it plays out should give the answer in time

Did that twitter post just put his home address out there for all to see?

Twitter posts have totally put his address out there which is horribly irresponsible for sure.

-QG

The Athletic's Jay Morrison writes Joe Mixon could be a cap casualty for the Bengals this offseason.​

We generally take these reports with a grain of salt, but Morrison writes this sentence at the end of the capsule: "reallocating $7.3 million to more pressing needs feels closer to a certainty than a mere possibility." Releasing Mixon would save that much in cap space, and releasing Mixon with a post-June 1 designation would save $10 million. Morrison writes the Bengals could look to draft a running back this year. With Samaje Perine also a free agent, a Mixon release would make the backfield a blank slate heading into free agency.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Feb 26, 2023, 12:57 PM ET

Mixon is kinda funny, I think he's played pretty consistently since 2019, but his fantasy value has fluctuated wildly.

He's always been an average RB in my eyes, who other than 2018 has been a volume play, who is TD dependent.

Being a pass first offense, the Bengals need their RB to be able to be average at best in pass-pro. Mixon is absolutely horrible in pass-pro hence why Perine saw most of the snaps in the big games.

Users who are viewing this thread