What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (5 Viewers)

About a good of a sunset send off as Mixon owners could have received. Wish I owned a share as this is a boost in value imo.
I agree that this is as good of a landing spot as he could have had. As a Mixon owner I'm pretty happy with this as things could have gone south. Now I'm not sure about a boost in value. Each year with aging RBs things seem to slow down. For me I would say if he equals his recent production I will be happy.

I don't expect a boost in production and he's a year old so not sure his dynasty value is really boosted much. The difference is now maybe you can trade him to a RB needy team where before things were up in the air.

If you are contending and have him you can be pretty happy if you can plug him in your RB2 spot or even a flex spot and get decent production.

Any recent trades?
Not very recent, but I moved him last off season for a 2024 2nd and a 2025 2nd. Was a bit of an undersell at the time, but I was flush with RBs and eager to move on from an older one I felt was in decline getting by on very high usage (not to mention some of the off the field drama and potential legal issues were still undecided). IMO his averages and even tape continued looking pedestrian/inefficient, but pedestrian averages on 300+ touch counts, lots of work in the passing game, all red zone work, and no backfield competition still landed him as a top 10 RB lol.

Nevertheless I was happy to have gotten out a year early with 2 higher value picks than a year late and nothing. But now that he landed in the Texan's offense, and also got paid pretty darn well considering the state of the RB market, who knows. I do think he'll need to maintain a very high touch count (and also not fall off the cliff) to repeat another top 10 season. I would probably value him around a single mid 2nd this year in a deeper draft class, but wouldn't pay it unless I was in RB need and a serious contender. I think a lot of rookie drafts you could land Corum/Benson/Brooks with that pick this year and get younger with similar talent.

Any recent trades?
traded him for a 2025 1st and 2nd. Both very late picks
I feel that is a very good return you got for him due to his age. Even if he has a good year, his age will catch up at some point.

I'm still torn, ride him one more year and try to run it back or get something for him now. I don't see me getting even a 1st at this point but maybe at the start of the season when people need to plug the RBs into their starting spots.

Was offered McLaurin for him in one league, but passed. McL is worth more IMO but I already own him in multiple other leagues and hoping to move Mixon for someone/something younger as this is a rebuilding team

Since sharing the backfield with Giovani Bernard as a rookie in 2017, Mixon has been a true workhorse. In 83 games from 2018 thru 2023, he racked up 1646 touches, averaging 19.8 touches per game. In that same span, the other CIN RB's combined for 462 touches, averaging 5.6 touches per game. I know lots of people are saying he lost a step last year, but did he ever really have one? Heck, Jerome Bettis, Christian Okoye, Brandon Jacobs, and Ironhead Heyward all have longer carries to their names. When you consider his career YPC is barely over 4, you have to wonder why CIN rode him for 7 years. I think one of the answers is that they trusted him, and he is decent in all aspects of the game.

Now, I don't know how HOU plans to divvy up the RB touches, but it was quite telling how fast Devin Singletary took the lead role from Dameon Pierce, and there has to be a reason behind that. I am not a dynasty player, but would love to have Mixon as my RB3 for 2024, and if I am light at RB, perhaps even a RB2.

Mixon - born 24 July 1996, 1854 touches
McCaffrey - born 7 June 1996, 1806 touches

Since sharing the backfield with Giovani Bernard as a rookie in 2017, Mixon has been a true workhorse. In 83 games from 2018 thru 2023, he racked up 1646 touches, averaging 19.8 touches per game. In that same span, the other CIN RB's combined for 462 touches, averaging 5.6 touches per game. I know lots of people are saying he lost a step last year, but did he ever really have one? Heck, Jerome Bettis, Christian Okoye, Brandon Jacobs, and Ironhead Heyward all have longer carries to their names. When you consider his career YPC is barely over 4, you have to wonder why CIN rode him for 7 years. I think one of the answers is that they trusted him, and he is decent in all aspects of the game.

Now, I don't know how HOU plans to divvy up the RB touches, but it was quite telling how fast Devin Singletary took the lead role from Dameon Pierce, and there has to be a reason behind that. I am not a dynasty player, but would love to have Mixon as my RB3 for 2024, and if I am light at RB, perhaps even a RB2.

Mixon - born 24 July 1996, 1854 touches
McCaffrey - born 7 June 1996, 1806 touches
I'd say the bolded is nail on the head. I think the only thing he is really below average at is protecting the QB. Meanwhile he excels at protecting the ball and not putting up negative plays. Again, kinda low bar of expectations, but in a high powered offense that doesn't need a RB to make explosive plays to win; those two things wind up very high on a coaches priority list. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Mixon wound up an RB1 or very close again this year if he gets the touches. Likely a value pick in redraft, and to those in dynasty competing for a ship.

Now, I don't know how HOU plans to divvy up the RB touches, but it was quite telling how fast Devin Singletary took the lead role from Dameon Pierce, and there has to be a reason behind that.

Pierce was struggling to adjust to the outside run, zone blocking scheme. He was struggling to make the reads necessary in it, compared to the power gap scheme the year before. Whether he can be better with a year of familiarity is anyone's guess.

Users who are viewing this thread