What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Josh Jacobs, GB (2 Viewers)

since they have their receiving options on rookie deals…IMO, they could opt to keep Jones at his current number this year.

I think they'll keep both, the more I think about it, he's their replacement for AJ Dillon.

Aaron Jones turns 30 this year on last year of contract and has been habitually injured.

They'll keep him around, but I imagine they will feature Josh Jacobs and sprinkle in Aaron Jones.

yes - conventional wisdom in the Packer world is that AJ is gone. He's a free agent but is beloved locally and hasn't yet said his good-byes publicly so there was a question mark there. Most assume this move confirms that AJ is surely gone.
Aaron Jones will not be back. Via local sources I can confirm this is already decided.

since they have their receiving options on rookie deals…IMO, they could opt to keep Jones at his current number this year.

I think they'll keep both, the more I think about it, he's their replacement for AJ Dillon.

Aaron Jones turns 30 this year on last year of contract and has been habitually injured.

They'll keep him around, but I imagine they will feature Josh Jacobs and sprinkle in Aaron Jones.

yes - conventional wisdom in the Packer world is that AJ is gone. He's a free agent but is beloved locally and hasn't yet said his good-byes publicly so there was a question mark there. Most assume this move confirms that AJ is surely gone.
Aaron Jones will not be back. Via local sources I can confirm this is already decided.

👀

But yeah releasing Jones. Good for FF for Jacobs. Talks broke down in trying to cut salary. That sucks as Jones was such a good guy to have around. One of my favorites.

Can I just instinctively blame Drew Rosenhaus?

Gotta admit that Jacobs-Jones era in Green Bay was absolutely legendary. I will never forget those glorious 37 minutes.

Haven’t seen final numbers but heard 3 years $24 million on ESPN Milwaukee. (Edit…they may be backtracking this) That seems like a bargain for Jacobs and like what they would have liked to have gotten Aaron Jones number down to.

Last edited:
Yeah thats a bit more depending on guarantees/structure.

$12.5 signing bonus, $14.8M total in year one. Don't believe anything else is guaranteed.

If that's $27.3M guaranteed that's solid, but I expect some of that $14.8 is part of the bonus and if so could be very low on guarantees.

ETA-the $14.8M year one is total pay for year one so it includes the guarantees. So the signing bonus of $12.5 and whatever his first year pay is really all he got for guarantees.

$12.5 signing bonus, $14.8M total in year one. Don't believe anything else is guaranteed.

If that's $27.3M guaranteed that's solid, but I expect some of that $14.8 is part of the bonus and if so could be very low on guarantees.

ETA-the $14.8M year one is total pay for year one so it includes the guarantees. So the signing bonus of $12.5 and whatever his first year pay is really all he got for guarantees.
Fully expect GB to draft a RB. Can easily get out of the Jacobs deal after year 1. Not saying they will, but if the rookie RB pans out I can see them moving on.

Fully expect GB to draft a RB. Can easily get out of the Jacobs deal after year 1. Not saying they will, but if the rookie RB pans out I can see them moving on.
One year would run them $13.7-14.2M max. Two years they can get for about $21m max. Then it's year to year at like $10.5-12M per year.

They probably hope it's a 2-3 year deal, would be the most efficient. But yes you are right they can exit out after a year if they choose. Still a little surprised at his guarantees and total deal, less per year then Barkely and about half the guarantees. Less guarantees then I think Swift got, but beat him at least in APY.

This to me is a shocking signing by GB. Jacobs looked gassed last year and it feels like they could have done better using a 2nd/3rd in the draft on a guy. If they are going to pay big money they should have went henry but even that seems out of sorts

Aaron Jones >>>>> Josh Jacobs

They probably hope it's a 2-3 year deal, would be the most efficient. But yes you are right they can exit out after a year if they choose. Still a little surprised at his guarantees and total deal, less per year then Barkely and about half the guarantees. Less guarantees then I think Swift got, but beat him at least in APY
Yes, the out after one season is possible, but it would leave behind 9 mill in dead cap. I think it is more likely he is there for two years, and then 'we will see.'

Cap hits of 5.3 mill in 24, and 11.3 mill in 25, and if they want to cut after that, 6 mill in dead cap. Cap hits of 14.6 in 26, and 16.6 in 27 (3 mill dead cap if they cut).

Good deal for GB. I said elsewhere, Jacobs looked average behind a line that played badly in 23, but he looked like a world beater behind a decent line in 22. Jacobs is really good, he's a 3 down back if that's what needed, and while you don't see Chubb/Saquon special, he's the top of the next level of talent.

Paying a top back, while all your young WR are on rookie deals makes sense. When it comes time to pay them, hopefully there's a back on a rookie deal. I think that's the ideal salary cap plan for them.

REALLY like the landing spot. Feel like he's back near the top 5. Should get a million carries. Should get the passing work and goal line work. He's very talented. He's had some elite seasons and he's had some bad seasons in bad situations.

I think the GB offense will be the best he's been a part of. They'll score a bunch of points. He should be really good.

REALLY like the landing spot. Feel like he's back near the top 5. Should get a million carries. Should get the passing work and goal line work. He's very talented. He's had some elite seasons and he's had some bad seasons in bad situations.

I think the GB offense will be the best he's been a part of. They'll score a bunch of points. He should be really good.
In terms of fantasy it's an upgrade for Jacobs. Better offensive line plus better QB to put him in scoring position.

They probably hope it's a 2-3 year deal, would be the most efficient. But yes you are right they can exit out after a year if they choose. Still a little surprised at his guarantees and total deal, less per year then Barkely and about half the guarantees. Less guarantees then I think Swift got, but beat him at least in APY
Yes, the out after one season is possible, but it would leave behind 9 mill in dead cap. I think it is more likely he is there for two years, and then 'we will see.'

Cap hits of 5.3 mill in 24, and 11.3 mill in 25, and if they want to cut after that, 6 mill in dead cap. Cap hits of 14.6 in 26, and 16.6 in 27 (3 mill dead cap if they cut).

Good deal for GB. I said elsewhere, Jacobs looked average behind a line that played badly in 23, but he looked like a world beater behind a decent line in 22. Jacobs is really good, he's a 3 down back if that's what needed, and while you don't see Chubb/Saquon special, he's the top of the next level of talent.

Paying a top back, while all your young WR are on rookie deals makes sense. When it comes time to pay them, hopefully there's a back on a rookie deal. I think that's the ideal salary cap plan for them.

He did look average but was really badly outperformed by White as well - white put up 4.3 ypc against his really pathetic 3.5 (and for information's sake JJ"s career ypc is only 4.2)

Packers head coach Matt LaFleur said the team would use him as a pass catcher out of the backfield.
“I think the first thing that jumps off to me is just his play style,” LaFleur told reporters on Tuesday, adding that he was not involved in signing the veteran after Green Bay parted ways with Aaron Jones. “Like he is tough, hard-nosed. He can be a high-volume guy. Just studying him, I think there’s more out there for him in regards to the passing game, using him out of the backfield. He’s put some really good choice routes on tape. That’s something we always try to get to. We’ve done it a little bit more down in the red area. But I love the person, just being around him in that brief time when he came into Green Bay.” With 37 receptions over 13 games last year in Vegas, Jacobs was 19th in yards per route run among running backs. Jacobs in 2022 caught 53 passes and ranked 20th in RB yards per route run. If he fills Jones’ role in Green Bay’s offense, Jacobs should be in the 50-reception range in 2024. Despite recent drop off in efficiency, Jacobs should be a top fantasy back as the Packers’ workhorse. The Athletic’s Matt Schneidman said there’s a chance AJ Dillon — who recently re-signed with the Packers on a one-year deal — might not make the team this summer. Only nine running backs in 2023 had a worse rush yards over expected than Dillon, per NextGen Stats. One of those backs was Jacobs.

Packers head coach Matt LaFleur said the team would use him as a pass catcher out of the backfield.
“I think the first thing that jumps off to me is just his play style,” LaFleur told reporters on Tuesday, adding that he was not involved in signing the veteran after Green Bay parted ways with Aaron Jones. “Like he is tough, hard-nosed. He can be a high-volume guy. Just studying him, I think there’s more out there for him in regards to the passing game, using him out of the backfield. He’s put some really good choice routes on tape. That’s something we always try to get to. We’ve done it a little bit more down in the red area. But I love the person, just being around him in that brief time when he came into Green Bay.” With 37 receptions over 13 games last year in Vegas, Jacobs was 19th in yards per route run among running backs. Jacobs in 2022 caught 53 passes and ranked 20th in RB yards per route run. If he fills Jones’ role in Green Bay’s offense, Jacobs should be in the 50-reception range in 2024. Despite recent drop off in efficiency, Jacobs should be a top fantasy back as the Packers’ workhorse. The Athletic’s Matt Schneidman said there’s a chance AJ Dillon — who recently re-signed with the Packers on a one-year deal — might not make the team this summer. Only nine running backs in 2023 had a worse rush yards over expected than Dillon, per NextGen Stats. One of those backs was Jacobs.
Giddy up, was always inexplicably under utilized as a receiver by Gruden. Got a bit more action recently but think he has the most carries of any back in history without a receiving TD, that may not be exactly correct but it's something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread