What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Justice Hill, BAL (1 Viewer)

Good case @Ilov80s. I was aware of Waldman & Kollman takes as I like both; not sure if Matt ranks his RSP but a week or two ago he was on Harris and said Thompson was his favorite rookie RB outside of Jacobs, but he added the caveat “for dynasty, not redraft.” This was before Reed said rbbc on the radio show, before he moved ahead of Hyde, before he was seen running GL sets with the 1s.

I suspect I can get either Thompson + Hill it Singletary + Hill, but doubtful I’ll get all 3. I might have 8-9 RBs in our 18 round draft because I’ll pick up my K & DST on Thursday 9/5.
I am stupid and thought Chris Thompson. I still have Hill over Darwin in redraft but it is a bit closer than I made it out. 

Yeah, he is perfectly fine end of draft ppr or half ppr guy in deep leagues or leagues with lots of flex spots but Chris doesn't have the season long upside of Justice, Darwin, etc. 
Rounds 10-15, mixed in with rookie RBs I’m also targeting satellites (Samuels, DJJ, Himes, Lewis) or Breida. 

Yes, in redraft. Here's my thoughts:

- Great tape, people who watched him in college liked him. Waldman said he has shades of Reggie Bush (who came into the league a decade too early), Brett Kollman had him as RB2 in the class
Bush's problem wasn't that he came into the league too early, his problem was that he couldn't break an arm tackle to save his life.

Hill ran through more tackles in his last preseason game than Bush did in his entire career.

If Hill can catch even close to as well as Bush could then he is a much better player.

I have my big draft today and I’m likely going WR heavy early and will be planning to take Justice at the 9/10 turn.

People have mentioned Kamara as a comparison from a skill set perspective but I really think that Hill profiles similar to Jamaal Charles.

They have similar builds and similar speed scores. 

Jamaal Charles was always known for his straight line breakaway speed, but he had a lot of shiftiness to his game as well.

---

I've gone all in on Justice from a fantasy perspective and have acquired him in 100% of the leagues I'm in.

I have to ask why he isn't getting more love in rookie rankings. 

My league happens to have a late rookie draft and I can't see an obviously better selection after Sanders at 3. He has current year value plus upside as feature back in a run offense. Someone talk me down!

My league happens to have a late rookie draft and I can't see an obviously better selection after Sanders at 3. He has current year value plus upside as feature back in a run offense. Someone talk me down!
He has competition for touches and probably wont get as much passing game work as he should.  With Lamar Jackson instead of Brees, you're not getting any Kamara style passing game work as LJax will just run with it. 

I like the player but the situation is not excellent for fantasy unless they really game plan Hill the ball a lot. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Just my 2 cents, but I don't see a feature back. Hill is a hell of a pass catcher, but running between the tackles will be a struggle. A Tarik Cohen sort, whose maybe a little better at rushing. 

As far as immediate value, @Kitten Mittens makes good points. I don't think Hill gets you much in this offense this year. The Ravens won't pass it more than 470 times maybe. Lemar Jackson, instead of dump offs will just run it. To me, this offense is not built on a foundation of using the running back in the passing game. Which might not bode well for Hill in the future either.

People have mentioned Kamara as a comparison from a skill set perspective but I really think that Hill profiles similar to Jamaal Charles.

They have similar builds and similar speed scores. 

Jamaal Charles was always known for his straight line breakaway speed, but he had a lot of shiftiness to his game as well.

---

I've gone all in on Justice from a fantasy perspective and have acquired him in 100% of the leagues I'm in.
Choo Choo.  I’m right their with you. 

He doesn't cost much. At the end of redraft and even can be had in free agency in a few leagues. 

Anything happens to Ingram and you have a lot of upside in a run based offense with a mobile QB. 

He’s as good as a lottery ticket as you can find. 

Choo Choo.  I’m right their with you. 

He doesn't cost much. At the end of redraft and even can be had in free agency in a few leagues. 

Anything happens to Ingram and you have a lot of upside in a run based offense with a mobile QB. 

He’s as good as a lottery ticket as you can find. 
Took him in the 11th, a few picks after Thompson & two rounds before I scooped up Singletary (before final cuts.)

I actually think he’ll put up decent numbers even with a healthy Ingram. Has a good PPR floor and they’ll lead the league in rushing attempts.

Really can't believe how quiet this thread is. Really kinda baffled. He lit up the combine, had a solid college career (started over Chris Carson as a true freshman) and has definitely popped on the field this preseason. Even more surprised to see him ranked in some updated Top 200s in the 170s+ today. JMO This guy is a potential league winner. 

Wanted to wait til my auctions were done today but he was definitely #1 RB sleeper priority with me whether I grabbed Ingram or not. JMO There's a clear path to value here whether Ingram's healthy or not. He's simply way more explosive than 30 year old Ingram and Gus and won't need more than dozen touches/game for fantasy value IMO. It will also keep Ingram healthy. On team that will likely lead the league in rushes with a solid O-line.

Really can't believe how quiet this thread is. Really kinda baffled. He lit up the combine, had a solid college career (started over Chris Carson as a true freshman) and has definitely popped on the field this preseason. Even more surprised to see him ranked in some updated Top 200s in the 170s+ today. JMO This guy is a potential league winner. 

Wanted to wait til my auctions were done today but he was definitely #1 RB sleeper priority with me whether I grabbed Ingram or not. JMO There's a clear path to value here whether Ingram's healthy or not. He's simply way more explosive than 30 year old Ingram and Gus and won't need more than dozen touches/game for fantasy value IMO. It will also keep Ingram healthy. On team that will likely lead the league in rushes with a solid O-line.
Love it.

I've been all over this guy in the offseason, and I now own him in 3/3 redraft leagues.    (drafting again tomorrow, and will likely try and make it 4/4)  :football:

I pointed it out in the RB Lotto ticket thread,  but there is a clear path to massive production. And now, even Kenneth Dixon is gone.

"In what should be one of the most run heavy offenses in the league, sign me up as looking to invest in what might be the best lottery ticket scenario you could ask for".

For the first time in a long time, I'm actually excited about the Ravens run game.

TZM

Dynasty is a different animal, but are you guys this high on this dude's supply for redraft? I see long wait for anything reliable. Like him, but in a Darren Sproles way. Not sure that translates rookie year on a team with not one, but two thumpers and a vulture QB.

Dynasty is a different animal, but are you guys this high on this dude's supply for redraft? I see long wait for anything reliable. Like him, but in a Darren Sproles way. Not sure that translates rookie year on a team with not one, but two thumpers and a vulture QB.
Well, injuries can and do happen. (Not that I'm hoping something happens to Ingram, but its a part of our game)

You can get Hill in rounds 12 and beyond, right?  What other pick are you going to snag that late that has the potential to be a king maker?

Hill is the perfect blend of high upside, strong talent and he is going super late in drafts.  I draft these type guys not because my fantasy teams can live without them, but I tend to always have 2-3 of these guys on my bench in case of injury or a situational change.  

The fact he is going to be on a team that will be one of the most run heavy in the league is merely icing on the cake.

There is a great chance he just rots on my bench, sure, I get it.  But if something happens to Ingram, he would likely be one of the most popular waiver adds of the year.

Give me a lottery ticket like this all day every day, as opposed to a backup QB, or some WR5 type guy I will never start.

TZM

I hear ya, but barring injury to Ingram *and* Bus, is Hill really crowning this year?

Not suggesting any other 12th rounders are, but I'm less concerned about round as I am about roster spot, once we get to the back half of drafts.

Give me a lottery ticket like this all day every day, as opposed to a backup QB, or some WR5
This makes a ton of sense, but my backup QB is Brees and my WR5 is on the waiver wire, thx to Shady McChief. Different strokes, almost always on these boards, which makes it hard to contextualize.

I hear ya, but barring injury to Ingram *and* Bus, is Hill really crowning this year?

Not suggesting any other 12th rounders are, but I'm less concerned about round as I am about roster spot, once we get to the back half of drafts.
I assume you mean Gus Edwards....?

I owned him last year, and watched him play. (I even like the guy) But a true sparkler of a talented RB he is NOT.

But lets face it, part of our FF game is so much more situational and opportunity, not merely talent. I know full well he might not pan out this season.

Once I get into the 11-12+ rounds in my drafts, my team has already basically been filled out.  (Err, not K and Defense lol)  But then I'm shooting for the moon with RB lottery tickets.  In our leagues we only have 6 bench spots, but you can bet your a$$ I have at least 4 RBs on my bench. Its just a sad fact that RBs go down, and are injured at a higher rate than at the other positions. Hey, those guys take a pounding, I have a lot of respect for them, but they DO get injured.

I see you mentioned having Brees as your backup QB.  I won't turn this into a "who all is on your roster" type post.  But most all of the guys in my leagues,  the ones with backup QBs at least....... they are the same guys that text me #####ing late in the season that there are no good RBs on the wire.

And by no means am I saying you are that guy, I'm just making a point.  If you have Brees as a backup, I'm assuming you have someone "elite" you are starting over him.

Whenever I see that, I think, "Well, he should package Brees + something to get a RB1 or a WR1 upgrade".

The exact same thing can be said for my bench RB "lottery tickets".

Like, in another thread I mentioned owning LATAVIUS MURRAY in 3 leagues. I didn't draft him to be a starter, (well, unless the black plague happens and infects all 6-7 of my RBs lol) but suppose  Kamara  goes down. Most of the Kamara owners will be licking their chops to get Murray to fill in that void. And again, I will be looking to upgrade at a weak position when that happens.

Not that I think I am "cutting edge" or anything, but I have never been a big fan of a backup QB.  I look at it like this, how much of a difference will Brees(or anyone) make over a streamer QB you can pick off the wire?  Not much, maybe a few points. You should be able to pick and choose a streamer that will be close. (I'm assuming a typical 10-12 man redraft league that is) Obviously, all leagues are different, and you may well be in a league that doesn't have ANY QBs on the wire....so I'm not passing judgement on that.

But in most 10-12 team redraft leagues getting a backup QB isn't something I believe in.

Interesting stuff.   

TZM

I guess that's where we differ. I think Hill will be their change of pace guy......with Ingram. Or the change of pace guy.....with Gus (if Ingram is injured). Gus IMO won't be a factor (for long...if at all) unless Ingram is hurt.

I'd roster Hill over any backup QB in a standard start 1-QB league personally. I don't ever roster a backup QB in a 1QB league with 18-20 man standard benches. Waste of a roster space IMO. Besides, how fun is it to celebrate your backup QB outscoring your starter in any given week? You can always find QB talent on the wire. FFS JOSH ALLEN (!!!) lead all QBs in scoring Weeks 12 on last year. :lol:  

Reward >>>>>>> Risk with Justice Hill. He's a guy you can get for end of your bench. If he's not getting the PT you like, then an easy cut. You can always then go grab some waiver wire QB like Stafford/Carr/Darnold/Foles/Flacco/Dalton/etc if you need a bye week QB starting Week 4 and so forth.

I guess that's where we differ. I think Hill will be their change of pace guy......with Ingram. Or the change of pace guy.....with Gus (if Ingram is injured). Gus IMO won't be a factor (for long...if at all) unless Ingram is hurt.

Reward >>>>>>> Risk with Justice Hill. He's a guy you can get for end of your bench. If he's not getting the PT you like, then an easy cut. 
I do think Hill comes in to a role soon, so I agree on that. But it may not be a very big one.......yet anyway.

I tend to get long winded, (like my above response) :lol: but your last line is what it all boils down to.  He is an easy cut in weeks 1-5 or early season, if you don't like how that situation is panning out. Just like all lottery tickets, there are plenty of losers before you hit on one.

I just know I like being that guy late season, you know..... the one where the other league members say "How did you get so lucky to have all those starting RBs?"

Meanwhile they have WR4-5 type guys clogging their bench from a piss poor draft.

TZM

Context is ever the driver. 

I play in ten-team short bench leagues. Yes that means more QBs on the wire, bit not more elite QBs. This particular league is 6 per pass TD, magnifying that last statement. Brees is my backup to Mahomie, except when Saints are at home and Chiefs are roading a stout D. Like week 1 this year. Other than that, Brees is elite QB insurance and keep away from my league mates.

Is he worth more than an unproven (yet admittedly) very exciting but undersized rookie RB, who likely won't ring cowbell unless two big dawgs go down ahead of him. I think so.

But... Context.

Context is ever the driver. 

I play in ten-team short bench leagues. Yes that means more QBs on the wire, bit not more elite QBs. This particular league is 6 per pass TD, magnifying that last statement. Brees is my backup to Mahomie, except when Saints are at home and Chiefs are roading a stout D. Like week 1 this year. Other than that, Brees is elite QB insurance and keep away from my league mates.

Is he worth more than an unproven (yet admittedly) very exciting but undersized rookie RB, who likely won't ring cowbell unless two big dawgs go down ahead of him. I think so.

But... Context.
The leagues I play in are 6pt passing TDs as well. I really don't think you need a backup to Mahomes, but its all in what you like, and what you are comfortable with.

You mention this, like you are going to trot out Brees over Mahomes several times a year.  Uh, really?  I've never owned Mahomes, but isn't he nearly in the "no way I'm benching him" category?

Now, I do like the idea of playing "keep away" from your league mates, so I appreciate that aspect for sure. In fact its very rarely written about or discussed in fantasy circles....which is a shame, its part of our game too.

Like you say, its context.  I never said I would advise cutting an important roster staple or player to snag Justice Hill, (or any lottery type back) but he is on my benches for sure....at least for the early part of the season until the byes start weighing heavily on us.

I think we just disagree on the value of a second QB to our rosters. No worries, thats just a difference of opinion.  

In fact I hate even sitting my starter and having a second QB "clogging up my roster" for my starters bye week.   :D  

TZM

Just to add some context: Ravens RBs had 368 carries and 70 receptions last year. I am not sure how big a chunk we expect Ingram to get, but assuming Hill continues to look good, I see room for 120 carries and 30 receptions with room for a lot more if the 30 year old already caught using PED before Ingram can't hack it the whole season. 

Got him as a FA after the draft. I mean, if Buck Allen was a decent play some weeks, Hill is a no-brainer, especially if he's a lotto ticket at the end of our benches.

kittenmittens said:
Is Lamar Jackson going to dump passes off to RBs enough?  Flacco couldn't run at all.  
The offense's run between the Flacco offense and the LJackson offense are very different.

Flacco was known for checking down to his RBs early and often and it resulted in a fairly big volume of receptions for his RB's.

You're not going to see that as much in a Lamar led offense, but you will see option plays incorporated that you never saw in a Flacco offense and you'll likely see more designed routes for the RB's out of the backfield.  You're also likely to see an overall larger volume of rushing attempts under the Lamar based offense.

We also haven't seen a fully developed Lamar Jackson.. how is his passing game going to develop, how will his run game evolve, and ultimately how the Ravens offense will evolve and adapt with him as he develops his overall game.

Craig_MiamiFL said:
Both Yahoo and Rotoworld now have him headlining their WW RB pickups. 

Someone's bout to get some more attention :lol:  
I looked at ownership percentages across several platforms this morning & I’m shocked he’s only 30% or less owned on many of them. Maybe people manage by box scores instead of film, and wrongly conclude he looked average because of low yards per touch?

interesting. I have hill higher currently
I guess it comes down to role. I’m not worried about Hyde.  I think Duke is an every down back being spelled by Hyde.   Currently Hill is just spelling ingram but in a run heavy offense and he definitely has stand alone value now.   But I couldn’t put him over duke until he supplants ingram. Which I think he will.  

I guess it comes down to role. I’m not worried about Hyde.  I think Duke is an every down back being spelled by Hyde.   Currently Hill is just spelling ingram but in a run heavy offense and he definitely has stand alone value now.   But I couldn’t put him over duke until he supplants ingram. Which I think he will.  
I think Hill, at end of season, is potentially a first round pick in 2020 redraft. 

Run first offense: yes for BAL, no for HOU

Targets to RBs: Yes for BAL, No for HOU

Duke may be a starter but hill may have more value

Targets to RBs: Yes for BAL, No for HOU
I prefer Hill but am wondering where this is coming from. Baltimore was near the bottom of the league in targets to RBs (as was Houston) while having a better receiving back than the Texans (Ty Montgomery vs. Tyler Ervin). 

I prefer Hill but am wondering where this is coming from. Baltimore was near the bottom of the league in targets to RBs (as was Houston) while having a better receiving back than the Texans (Ty Montgomery vs. Tyler Ervin). 
I guess what I mean is that they're always seemed to have a receiving back. or maybe I'm thinking back to the Flacco days... Buck Allen always seemed to have standalone value 

On the train in my redraft. Just dropped Pollard for him. Of course I'm an Ingram owner in my dynasty so I'm hoping for different results there.

Dynasty - AJ Brown or Justice Hill
Hill if you’re looking for the highest floor, RB1 potential. AJ if you need a solid WR2 for a few years.

I like the direction the Ravens are trending in. Not sure it’s going to work - but they are loading up on playmakers, with no real intention of running a traditional offense imo. 

Lamar Jackson, Justice Hill, Myles Boykin, Mark Andrews, Hollywood Brown ...Mark Ingram as the vet for a year.

I’m buying the young Ravens offense wherever I can. Hill can flourish in that offense. 

Users who are viewing this thread