What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Keaton Mitchell, BAL (1 Viewer)

long shot for sure
Agreed, although so are so many other RBs. If it doesn't cost anything, why not take a shot if there could be opportunity.

My concern is that he's considerably smaller than the prototypical Ravens RB they typically roll with.

Last edited:
long shot for sure
Prior to the Dobbins injury, most definitely. The odds have improved greatly since. This guys quickness, burst, and long speed absolutely jump off the screen.

Monken likes what he sees in Mitchell and wanted him on the 53 man roster for a reason, despite being injured. Could be he’s a good fit for the new offense. Monken has no attachment to Edwards, Hill, or Gordon, so if Mitchell gets a shot to impress, he could steal the gig very quickly and never look back.

"The game has become more of a space game; using all 53-and-a-third yards and using the width and depth of the field, using space players and your skill players. The game has changed; it's changing. At one time, it was taller pocket passers, and now you're seeing more shorter, athletic players. The game has changed in terms of using their athleticism, using players' athleticisms, what they bring to the table because the game is about space. It's about being explosive. Well, how do you create explosives? Well, part of it is creating space."

- Todd Monken

Granted he’s referring to QBs when referencing “shorter, athletic players,” but clearly he thinks the game and associated personnel are changing. Based on the quote above, I don’t imagine Monken is overly excited about a guy like Gus Edwards.

Added him in Dynasty and stashed him on IR. Worth a peak if you have an IR slot. I don't see how the Ravens don't end up with a platoon of RB's though.

Not a very big guy.

5'8" 179 lbs at the combine. But he ran a 4.37 so... no still not buying.

If something happens to Gus & Hill, Drake or Melvin or someone else will be the lead back in Baltimore.

He is in the practice window - for those in dynasty leagues not a bad idea to grab him if he is available.

With Jaleel and Achane exploding for yards these days why not Keaton! I guess size doesn’t matter? 😏

He is in the practice window - for those in dynasty leagues not a bad idea to grab him if he is available.
Redraft?
He costs nothing and the path to significant touches is there.
And I don’t think he needs a ton of touches in that offense to be fantasy relevent - that offensive scheme is perfect for him, isolate him in matchups and his speed, cutting ability, and ridiculous start-stop skills is going to create some explosive plays.

I think Edwards leads the committee but if Mitchell can get the number two touch role things can get interesting.

Redraft?
He costs nothing and the path to significant touches is there.
And I don’t think he needs a ton of touches in that offense to be fantasy relevent - that offensive scheme is perfect for him, isolate him in matchups and his speed, cutting ability, and ridiculous start-stop skills is going to create some explosive plays.

I think Edwards leads the committee but if Mitchell can get the number two touch role things can get interesting.

Set my lineup for the week and put him in one of my IR spots. Jeff Wilson in the other. LFG.

Just once I want to have one of my sneaky "pick up and stash" guys pan out. Could he be the one?
Mine is Nacua. Drafted Achane but dropped him for Mostert after Week 1. Kicking myself for that but I figured Mostert would be the guy and I could always re-acquire from the wire - until he and Mostert went nuts, Week 3. So, maybe Mitchell can be the guy to make me forget the Achane blunder.

Isn't he more likely to be a PR/KR?
Not super worried about Edwards or Hill at this point. He looks electric and can catch too
The Official NFL Records That Never Happened book is littered with the bodies of small, electric players who could catch.

It's all about the coaching staff's comfort level with the player doing all the little without the ball in their hands (as well as with it) at least as well as the veteran options.

If there is even remotely a question about the rookie's ability to do that, this staff will opt for the reliable veteran 100% of the time.

Was planning to make a waiver claim on this guy tonight, and he’s nowhere to be found on MFL’s player list—-what a gaffe on their part

Except for Deuce (so far), this seems to be the year of the smaller, shiftier RB's (Achane/McLaughlin).

Are we seeing a pattern? Don't know, but just in case I grabbed Mitchell.

The Official NFL Records That Never Happened book is littered with the bodies of small, electric players who could catch.

If there is even remotely a question about the rookie's ability to do that, this staff will opt for the reliable veteran 100% of the time.
...and that is what gives me a little pause. On Mitchell's draft profile compiled by NFL.com's Lance Zierlein, it states that one of his weaknesses is:
  • Drops come in bunches.

Was planning to make a waiver claim on this guy tonight, and he’s nowhere to be found on MFL’s player list—-what a gaffe on their part

We use MFL he’s on my roster. :shrug:
I just went through entire player list multiple times and can’t find him anywhere (free agent or on a roster). Have been using MFL since 2002. I’ll go back and look again lol

…and there she blows….i found him on someone else’s roster. We have 16 teams, 26 roster spots. because he hasn’t played any games, he wasn’t listed on the player stats page where i searched for him.. oh well!

Not super worried about Edwards or Hill at this point. He looks electric and can catch too

It's all about the coaching staff's comfort level with the player doing all the little without the ball in their hands (as well as with it) at least as well as the veteran options.

What you say is true but that is factored into the price, which is next to zero. If you grab these types of guys 100 times, you only need it to work once to make it worth your while. If is active and does nothing you simply drop him and move on. But what if he is another Achane?

Last edited:
Except for Deuce (so far), this seems to be the year of the smaller, shiftier RB's (Achane/McLaughlin).

Are we seeing a pattern? Don't know, but just in case I grabbed Mitchell.
I think we could be. We’ve definitely seen the shift to smaller shiftier WRs over the last 15 years or so.

What you say is true but that is factored into the price, which is next to zero. If you grab these types of guys 100 times, you only need it to work once to make it worth your while. If is active and does nothing you simply drop him and move on. But what if he is another Achane?
Yea and the opportunity is definitely there. They need someone to step up at that position

Yea and the opportunity is definitely there. They need someone to step up at that position
This is where I think we step into a bit of wishing things into existence territory.

Why is there an opportunity? Why do they need someone to step up?

Since Dobbins went down the RBs have 80 carries for 329 yards (4.1 ypc) and 10 catches (12 targets) for 90 yards. Fantasy managers hate those numbers but NFL coaches love them. It's exactly what they need.

Mitchell should get some opportunities but if he is going to carve out a real role in this offense he's going to need to be a whole lot more than just good with the ball in his hands. He's going to need to always, always, always be better at everything else than Gus & Justice.

IMO even if he is dynamic AF and even if he's doing exactly what he should be doing, the first time he gets steamrolled by a blitzing LB or S he goes right back to the bench.

But he's free so, why not? I guess.

This is where I think we step into a bit of wishing things into existence territory.

Since Dobbins went down the RBs have 80 carries for 329 yards (4.1 ypc) and 10 catches (12 targets) for 90 yards. Fantasy managers hate those numbers but NFL coaches love them. It's exactly what they need.

Mitchell should get some opportunities but if he is going to carve out a real role in this offense he's going to need to be a whole lot more than just good with the ball in his hands. He's going to need to always, always, always be better at everything else than Gus & Justice.

IMO even if he is dynamic AF and even if he's doing exactly what he should be doing, the first time he gets steamrolled by a blitzing LB or S he goes right back to the bench.

I like Justice but he also is what he is, a bit injury prone and a bit of a known commodity. Now, Keaton's already been injured so I can't say its not the same with him, we have a lot more data on smaller guys seeming to have a harder time with NFL RB pounding, at least in terms of an every down role.

I don't see this as a hard and fast thing to take a stand on, but the flip side of reading coach Tea Leaves, they may want to see what he can do with younger legs.

I think Gus is his own place with his own role of 12-18 carries and GL work.

Chaka out here just trying to crush men's dreams...

Free bench stash is all that matters here. Definitely the most explosive of the ravens running backs, but I agree he will probably most likely start off in a change of pace role to Edwards if anything. Costs nothing to see how it plays out though

A few really good runs in pre-season though, and good in space after the catch

Costs nothing to see how it plays out though
It costs a roster spot. That's not nothing in most leagues.

It all depends on who you leave out there to roster him.

What about this Jaleel guy in Denver. Would you stash Mitchell over him?

Chaka out here just trying to crush men's dreams...
What can I say? It's a gift.

Users who are viewing this thread