What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenyan Drake, LV (1 Viewer)

Hey I liked Ajayi and was really pumped for our team this season......but this year he has looked like JAG. And I know the OL has been atrocious.  But his play has also been a factor too.

His on field performance this season did weigh heavy in the decision too trade him. Gase felt if you are going to be a malcontent and not perform......buh bye.

In my dynasty league I blew some cash on him. Lotto ticket. Let's go Drake!!! Give the Fins a spark!! (fat chance but you never know).
I have Drake in one league as well, so hoping for the best in regards to him, but I remain skeptical.

I think you use the term just a guy a bit too loosely in applying it to Ajayi. To me just a guy is a player who is a career back up at best and usually one who isn't able to do what Jay did ever and does not last long in the league because of never showing any special ability.

He has had issues with his knee this year and perhaps wasn't playing as well this year because of it. There may be other issues as you say, not doing well in pass protection or running routes. Hard for me to believe what the coaches say in regards to that when they were saying he was so improved in those areas during preseason, then saying he wasn't doing well in those areas as reasons why they traded him. At least one of these things is a lie. The issues with his knee might be something that he always struggles with and shortens his career. Only time will tell on that. He definitely was more than a JAG the way I think of that term.

Today Fantasy Sports) Miami Dolphins RB Damien Williams will serve as the goal line and third down back, according to offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen

Clyde Christensen says the RB carries will be handled "by committee."

Today Fantasy Sports) Miami Dolphins RB Damien Williams will serve as the goal line and third down back, according to offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen

Awesome, crystal clear cut roles defined by the OC. This is what every fantasy player wants to know about their situations. 

*waits patiently for gametime and Adam Gase starts Senorise Perry*

Last edited by a moderator:

I can't believe Miami is telling their opponents what to prepare for. 

Read the OC said Williams is goal line/ third down back.  Disappointed in hearing about the goal line usage.  Thoughts?

Read the OC said Williams is goal line/ third down back.  Disappointed in hearing about the goal line usage.  Thoughts?
This is a little like the Collins situation. This is a team with offensive line, QB and playcalling problems, and maybe add in motivation/energy on gameday. And they are low ranked in terms of RB FF PPG anyway. For me the hope was/is that Gase changes course on playcalling like he did last year, gets behind one RB, the team gets fired up from the personnel moves and Drake shows what made him the front office's pick with some open field running (if he can reach the open field). So, basically, low expectations going in, and give it time to develop. I don't think the committee news is particularly surprising.

I think it is a strategic advantage for their opponents to know how Miami is going to use their RBs if this is true.

Based on how poorly Williams performed as the 3rd down RB against the Ravens then Drake must be even worse than him in pass protection to declare this in advance.

I still think it will be running back by competition, but I don't have faith in the coaches getting out of their own way here.

I think it is a strategic advantage for their opponents to know how Miami is going to use their RBs if this is true.

Based on how poorly Williams performed as the 3rd down RB against the Ravens then Drake must be even worse than him in pass protection to declare this in advance.

I still think it will be running back by competition, but I don't have faith in the coaches getting out of their own way here.
It’s a RBBC and the hot hand and game script will dictate the bulk of carries/usage I think,

And let’s face it. If needing the Miami RBs to save your week, likely already lost you have...

Dynasty- 14 team league ... picked him up off FA and was immediately offered a 2nd Round Rookie Pick next year for him (right now pick 11-13).

Thinking of keeping the lottery ticket in Drake, but love picking people up and trading them 

BearsFan4Life said:
Dynasty- 14 team league ... picked him up off FA and was immediately offered a 2nd Round Rookie Pick next year for him (right now pick 11-13).

Thinking of keeping the lottery ticket in Drake, but love picking people up and trading them 
I have him and am starting him this week, but I don't think I could pass that up.  Especially when he is a FA pickup.

BearsFan4Life said:

I would take that as I think Drake will be a risky start regardless. He isn't better than Ajayi and the Dolphins offense still stinks.

Who are you all starting him over. I'm looking at Hyde and Jones but like Drakes matchup and gate Hydes situation

Who are you all starting him over. I'm looking at Hyde and Jones but like Drakes matchup and gate Hydes situation
I have two teams in bye week hell and am starting him over Lynch in one and in the flex over Moncrief/Foreman in the other.

I'm starting Abdullah over him at flex.  Robby Anderson was a possibility and probably the right decision in hindsight.   

It seems to me that in terms of carries, YPC, routes run vs receptions & YPR, and TD's vs RZ opportunities, it was likely that Ajayi should have had more fantasy points. 

In 7 games: Ajayi had 13 RZ opportunities, no TDs. He had 4 games of 20+ carries. He had 5 games of 3+ targets.

Cutler has throw in it from inside the 5 maybe 5 times. I know one play I recall was vs the Saints, it was a pick to Crawley covering Julius.

Drake looks really good. Has a very shifty running style. Little jump stops.  Had the fumble early, but they went right back to him.

He should be out there all the time.  He is a weapon.  Runs with power and is a home run threat.  Can catch passes.

I didn't get to see this game but not bad results.

Both RB had 6 receptions. Not against a very good defense but it could have been worse.

Drake & Williams Get 165 Yards on First Game w/out Ajayi! | Raiders vs. Dolphins | Wk 9 Player HLs

Williams runs too high and looks kind of stiff. He does keep his feet on the reception and is able to jump in for the TD. He uses a spin move a couple times effectively.

Drake looks fine catches the ball cleanly. His 42 yard run is well blocked clear hole and Stills gets a pretty good block for him downfield to cut outside off of. When the defender disengages from this block Drake is able to use a stiff arm and extend the play.

Unfortunately I dont think either did anything tonight to change things moving forward.  I would expect an even split.  One positive is that there seems to be plenty of usage in this offense.  Cutler and Gase want to take advantage of the short dumps to the RB's and both Drake and Williams looked good in this role.  The RB's could have had a much better night but several big chunk plays were called back due to holds.

I have no options so I played both Damien Williams and Kenyon Drake.  I was down 28 to start the game and now I am up 2 (I have Crosby tomorrow and will pick up the win).  

How many will continue to start him going forward?
I did not use him this week but I am keeping him on my roster.  He looked pretty good against a bad D.  Williams looked just as good though.  At the start of the game, it looked like Williams was going to be the lead back.  As the game progressed, it evened out giving Drake owners hope.  It very well could be a 50/50 split every week giving both backs flex value.  

I did not use him this week but I am keeping him on my roster.  He looked pretty good against a bad D.  Williams looked just as good though.  At the start of the game, it looked like Williams was going to be the lead back.  As the game progressed, it evened out giving Drake owners hope.  It very well could be a 50/50 split every week giving both backs flex value.  
Williams looked good?

Aside from the TD reception when was that? He had 7 rushing attempts for 14 yards. 2 ypc with a long of 4 yards. He got stuffed like a turkey.

Williams looked good?

Aside from the TD reception when was that? He had 7 rushing attempts for 14 yards. 2 ypc with a long of 4 yards. He got stuffed like a turkey.
In PPR leagues the weekly scoring will probably be very close since Williams looks like a solid pass catching back.  As a new Drake owner, please don't get my hopes up too high.    Miami doesn't get to play the Raiders every week either.   

Williams looked good?

I think he looked good as a 3rd down back, but that is all he is. Getting him more involved in the passing game benefited the Fins

In PPR leagues the weekly scoring will probably be very close since Williams looks like a solid pass catching back.  As a new Drake owner, please don't get my hopes up too high.    Miami doesn't get to play the Raiders every week either.   
I'm not trying to get anyones hopes up. i have Drake and very skeptical of him.

He is running the ball better than Williams is my only point here.

I think his usage at the end of the game said a lot, unless I'm reading too much into it he had gotten past the fumble and was ahead of Williams to be the guy in that situation.

I think he'll end up with at least a 60/40 split with Williams going forward, other than the fumble it was very encouraging.

I think he looked good as a 3rd down back, but that is all he is. Getting him more involved in the passing game benefited the Fins
Williams did better as a receiver than Drake did.

As we were discussing with MT prior to the game this will likely be a split between the two RB where they split series, but end up having more clearly defined roles. WIlliams on 3rd down and other more obvious passing situations because he is likely better in pass protection than Drake. Drakes role will be more 1st and 2nd down, more rushing attempts. Drake was used a lot as a receiver as well though.

For this first game Drake played 55% of the offensive snaps 9 rushing attempts 69 yards with a long of 42 yards 6 targets 6 receptions 35 yards

On the 8 rushing attempts besides the 42 yard run Drake averaged 3.4 ypc which isnt good, but its also not terrible. Slightly worse than what Jay Ajayi has averaged this season and the long run was twice as good as Ajayi's long run of 21 yards with the Dolphins. 

Williams played 45% of the offensive snaps 7 rushing attempts 14 yards 6 targets 6 receptions 47 yardds 1 TD.

I watched the game last night but fell asleep mid way through the 3rd quarter. From what I seen drake was the better runner and receiver. More fluid and speed as a runner and a more natural pass catcher. I'd agree with the above statement of a 60 40 split in drakes favor.  The short passing game should remain a role with curlers ribs. Also with Parker presumably getting more healthy as time goes by I assume the plays underneath will be available. We shall see.

He did fumble but also redeemed himself with the 2 pt conversion.  That goal line plunge made me think the coaches would prefer him as the option unless it's an obvious pass play.

The Miami offense overall took on a new identy that Ajayi didn't provide.  They sort of remind me of the Falcons where you have two pass catching backs.  Cutler has always liked catch passing backs too.  Remember, they went from scoring 0 to 24 points.  They have got to work out those holding penalties (11 penalties for 107 yards).  This new offense looked fine to me.  Drake looks like a poor man's McKinnon.  He runs with deceptive power, has breakaway speed and is an excellent pass catcher.  He's the only one that has 3 down potential.  I expect this sort of offense moving forward where both backs will have receptions but Drake will lead them in carries too.  Drake is a RB2 in PPR, low end RB2/flex in standard formats.

Another thing of note here is that the Dolphins only ran the ball 18 times in this game without Ajayi, while they have averaged 24 rushing attempts per game with Ajayi.

So if this continues, they are running the ball less, and running the ball less should make their runs more successful on a per run basis.

In my view what they did is something they could have been doing with Ajayi all along but didn't.

Another thing of note here is that the Dolphins only ran the ball 18 times in this game without Ajayi, while they have averaged 24 rushing attempts per game with Ajayi.

So if this continues, they are running the ball less, and running the ball less should make their runs more successful on a per run basis.

In my view what they did is something they could have been doing with Ajayi all along but didn't.
This seems to be their new offensive identity.  Jay Cutler is used to backs like Matt Forte who can catch passes.  I expect less carries overall and more pass catching plays like we saw last night.

This seems to be their new offensive identity.  Jay Cutler is used to backs like Matt Forte who can catch passes.  I expect less carries overall and more pass catching plays like we saw last night.
We will need a few more games for confirmation of that. But based on Gases statements, it seems that he has wanted to be more pass heavy all along.

So it wouldn't surprise me if that is the case moving forward, by design and out of necessity as well.

The run heavy offense that he ran last year did enable them to win a lot of games and make the playoffs, but I think he has always wanted to throw the ball more than they were. They just didn't because of the defense.

The whole thing about not involving Ajayi more as a receiver is something that has never made sense to me. He could have been running the offense this way with Ajayi this year but didn't.

We will need a few more games for confirmation of that. But based on Gases statements, it seems that he has wanted to be more pass heavy all along.

So it wouldn't surprise me if that is the case moving forward, by design and out of necessity as well.

The run heavy offense that he ran last year did enable them to win a lot of games and make the playoffs, but I think he has always wanted to throw the ball more than they were. They just didn't because of the defense.

The whole thing about not involving Ajayi more as a receiver is something that has never made sense to me. He could have been running the offense this way with Ajayi this year but didn't.
I read that Ajayi was poor at pass catching and running routes.  I haven't seen highlights of Ajayi in pass plays.  But seeing Drake and Williams last night they were very fluid coming off the line.  The metrics add up they were both 12/12 for 82 yards.  Cutler clearly has a comfort level there.  The next few weeks will be interesting for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread