What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Latavius Murray, BUF (1 Viewer)

Murray is a RB 1 when he is cleared to play. He may not put up tons of points every week but the potential is there.
A big game does not make some one a RB 1, especially when that player got hurt on just 4 carries.
He didn't get hurt on 4 carries. He got a concussion on one helmet to helmet tackle....whether he had 3 previous carries or 30 is irrelevant, and says nothing of his durability.
Jahvid Best would disagree if he could remember his NFL career.

So is this a Bryce Brown situation (drool worthy physical tools....a few great flashes....then poof)?.........Or does Latasaurus have staying power?

Who was the last Raider to have value?
Probably McFadden in 2010 in PPR leagues:

Played 13 games and was 2nd in average fantasy points scored per game (only behind Arian Foster, who was red hot). I remember it well because I rode him to two fantasy leagues championships that year.

His actual numbers:

223 rushes, 1157 yards, 7 TDs

47 receptions, 507 yards, 3 TDs

Super excited about what i saw last night. Somehow the kid was still available on WW in my deep dyno, snatched him up earlier in the week on a prayer he could do anything for my wasteland of RBs on my roster.

pizzatyme said:
Bazinga! said:
Rotoworld had a stat in his writeup tonight saying his rushing tonight accounts for something like 14% of their team total for the season.
LOL and that was 4 carries!!
I am just catching up, so sorry if someone already posted this...The 90 yd run by itself is 11% of Oakland YTD rushing yards lol
It was a terrific run. He cut back and was gone!
He showed great speed but he wasn't touched even once on the run. He shows promise but I wouldn't cash all my chips in on him just yet--most of his yards came on one run in which he was completely untouched.

One More Rep said:
I agree that it is a small sample size but he also had 4 carries for 43 yards last week as well. He looked very good in the preseason also. I am buying in Dynasty if owners are selling "high"
I thought he always got hurt on his 4th carry?

Thumbs up to all the Sharkies who predicted this guy to be good and were talking him up .. He always had insane measurables but the ACL tear last year really made him fall off the map. Heck the Raiders didn't even know what they had. Im kicking myself for not picking him up after starring at him for 10 minutes or more. I already have to pay 40 dollars out in trans money bc it's 2 dollars per trans but he is worth it. He was well on his way to having a Jonas Gray type of Night. WOW amazing job fellas

it seems like the guy is made of glass though and hopefully not the case. It seems like Him and injuries are always side by side... But we will see he will be a hot waiver wire pick up if not already owned.

pizzatyme said:
Bazinga! said:
Rotoworld had a stat in his writeup tonight saying his rushing tonight accounts for something like 14% of their team total for the season.
I am just catching up, so sorry if someone already posted this...The 90 yd run by itself is 11% of Oakland YTD rushing yards lol
He showed great speed but he wasn't touched even once on the run. He shows promise but I wouldn't cash all my chips in on him just yet--most of his yards came on one run in which he was completely untouched.
He wasn't touched because he saw a cut back lane, cut and got through the line quickly and then beat Berry (who had the angle) to the sideline before turning up field. It wasn't like a huge hole was opened up and he just ran through it in a straight line for 90 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked him up yesterday= win!

Looking at 22 points in the first half on my bench= fail...
:goodposting: Seriously thought about starting him but just couldn't pull the trigger.
Everyone did my friend I was debating picking him up and I was debating starting him if I picked him up and I came to the conclusion that if I did pick him up he would ride the bench. Over duds like Mckinnon or Wright... WoW hindsight is 20-20 or 50-50 if your Cam Newton....LMAO. Whiff on my part but just wanted to throw props to the guys who knew about this guy and told us all to pick him up and play him.... I just couldn't pull the trigger..... FINGER was itchy and I liked the 8 points he got in ppr with only 4 carries but thought that might have been luck... Oh well next time pull trigger lesson learned.

Thumbs up to all the Sharkies who predicted this guy to be good and were talking him up .. He always had insane measurables but the ACL tear last year really made him fall off the map. Heck the Raiders didn't even know what they had. Im kicking myself for not picking him up after starring at him for 10 minutes or more. I already have to pay 40 dollars out in trans money bc it's 2 dollars per trans but he is worth it. He was well on his way to having a Jonas Gray type of Night. WOW amazing job fellas
He didn't tear his ACL last year.

That was short-lived.

At least whoever started him today got a game's worth of production already.
PPR 23 points on 4 carries.... we get bonus 3 for 100 so he scored 26 on 4 carries... He was looking at easy 40 plus PPR night had he not got Helmet to helmet.... something like 180 yards 3 tds.... he was running wild..................

He didn't tear his ACL last year.
OK smart guy well he was Injured for the season IR. I thought he tore acl but Either way he was On season ending IR and to top it off Oakland ignored him first 9 games and went with Geriatric Jones drew and Glass Mcfaggans

pizzatyme said:
Bazinga! said:
He wasn't touched because he saw a cut back lane, cut and got through the line quickly and then beat Berry (who had the angle) to the sideline before turning up field. It wasn't like a huge hole was opened up and he just ran through it in a straight line for 90 yards.
Reminds of The Natural when Hobbs finally got his chance to play and tore the cover off the ball.

Honestly, how many RBs could make that run right now? How many in the NFL have actually made that run in the last 15 years?

“We put him in there early and got him going early,” interim coach Tony Sparano said. “The way he ran the ball today he earned more snaps, no doubt about it."
http://www.sfgate.com/raiders/article/Raiders-beat-Murray-has-breakout-night-5908277.php?cmpid=twitter-mobile

Yeah, maybe he should get some more snaps. Let's talk about that, Tony, it's debatable, Mac looked pretty good back there getting 1.7 a pop. Could go either way.

Just start him already and give him the rock!

I can't really take credit for starting him because i had no one else to start really but i thought his fresh legs combined with playing on Thursday was potentially a great situation for him to succeed.

The 90 yard TD run he's running away from Eric Berry. He ran the 40 in 4.39 at the combine I believe. Honestly Murray looked like a 4.2 guy there. He's an amazing athlete that didn't play great competition in college much but when he did he was successful.

His durability is a legitimate concern but you can get excited about his prospects the rest of the season and next season even though his schedule is tough because he projects as a 3 down back that is excels at catching the ball out of the backfield. Look at that schedule coming up. Its brutal. Now ask yourself knowing his skill set if he gets the volume are you still starting him with confidence? I am because he's going to have a high floor with his 3-5 catches. 3 down backs are super rare nowadays.

pizzatyme said:
Bazinga! said:
I thought Berry took a terrible angle.......that, or he didn't realize how fast Murray was.

Looking over the Oak/KC boxscore and Murray actually had a tackle. Sparano has him on special teams playing coverage right now.

4th and 4 at OAK 24(1:56) M.King punts 58 yards to KC 18, Center-J.Condo. D.Thomas to KC 33 for 15 yards (L.Murray).

Picked him up yesterday= win!

Looking at 22 points in the first half on my bench= fail...
:goodposting: Seriously thought about starting him but just couldn't pull the trigger.
Everyone did my friend I was debating picking him up and I was debating starting him if I picked him up and I came to the conclusion that if I did pick him up he would ride the bench. Over duds like Mckinnon or Wright... WoW hindsight is 20-20 or 50-50 if your Cam Newton....LMAO. Whiff on my part but just wanted to throw props to the guys who knew about this guy and told us all to pick him up and play him.... I just couldn't pull the trigger..... FINGER was itchy and I liked the 8 points he got in ppr with only 4 carries but thought that might have been luck... Oh well next time pull trigger lesson learned.
take that to the bank brohans

Some guys are faster in pads than others. DMC timed out at 4.33 in his combine 40. I'm sure if you were to time him now, he'd still be fairly close to that. But straight line speed has nothing to do with speed in space and off the cut. DMC can't jump cut like Murray. He tries and his ankle seems to buckle under him and he's got no explosion off the cut. Contrast that to Murray who bounces outside, hesitates a split second, squares his shoulders and explodes off the cut. I don't know how fast Berry is but I'l assume he's pretty comparable in speed. He misjudged that a guy Murray's size had that kind of sustained speed in him. He sustained that 22 mph speed when a lot of other RB's would be turning the corner trying to avoid getting pushed out or tackled short. Murray just got stronger as he went. These kinds of runaway from the cops type runs are rare. Reminded me of Bo Jackson in the Kingdome so many years ago. And that 11 yard TD, again, he was able to jump cut, bounce outside and the LB's were like WTF? when they saw him turn the corner. Completely unprepared for his speed.

Looking over the Oak/KC boxscore and Murray actually had a tackle. Sparano has him on special teams playing coverage right now.

4th and 4 at OAK 24(1:56) M.King punts 58 yards to KC 18, Center-J.Condo. D.Thomas to KC 33 for 15 yards (L.Murray).
Yep, I mentioned in the KC-Oak game thread I thought I heard them say he made a tackle on the punt team. This was a series or two after he had scored the 11-yarder.

Wild.

They should have played Murray more in the beginning of the season but getting the first pick in this draft with a possible franchise QB sitting there they potentially don't need is huge. Finding a team to trade down with will be easier.

Listen to that crowd. That must have been really exciting to be there for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzF_8J_dAqo

Look at how Murray makes his cut way ahead of the play at around 0:26 (he does it again to the LB Mauga just a second later). That's vision. The burst and speed is talent. Vision plus talent = ....

I can't really take credit for starting him because i had no one else to start really but i thought his fresh legs combined with playing on Thursday was potentially a great situation for him to succeed.

The 90 yard TD run he's running away from Eric Berry. He ran the 40 in 4.39 at the combine I believe. Honestly Murray looked like a 4.2 guy there. He's an amazing athlete that didn't play great competition in college much but when he did he was successful.

His durability is a legitimate concern but you can get excited about his prospects the rest of the season and next season even though his schedule is tough because he projects as a 3 down back that is excels at catching the ball out of the backfield. Look at that schedule coming up. Its brutal. Now ask yourself knowing his skill set if he gets the volume are you still starting him with confidence? I am because he's going to have a high floor with his 3-5 catches. 3 down backs are super rare nowadays.
He's big. Pad weight means a lot less when you're 6'3" 230.

pizzatyme said:
Bazinga! said:
Yeah I agree, watch the play in detail to see that the O-line opens a hole through the middle but there is a defender at the second level that had a straight shot at him and whiffed. There was also several defenders that tried to crash in on him but he read the defense and cut to the outside. After that he turned on the speed and that was that.

Really impressive running.

Agree he's not an RB1 yet. People are getting giddy. But let's also not dismiss this as a "trap" game or that the KC defense conveniently just decided not to show up. I'm not buying that. This is the defense that was going to set an NFL record for holding a team without a rushing TD through 11 games. Then they met Latavius and he gashed them for scores. This wasn't a fluke.
The Chiefs not giving up a running TD was a bit of a fluke. They actually have been pretty weak vs the Run all year.They rank 27th in terms of rushing yards allowed per game and I think opposing RB's are averaging like 5 yards per carry against them.

pizzatyme said:
Bazinga! said:
Yeah I agree, watch the play in detail to see that the O-line opens a hole through the middle but there is a defender at the second level that had a straight shot at him and whiffed. There was also several defenders that tried to crash in on him but he read the defense and cut to the outside. After that he turned on the speed and that was that.

Really impressive running.
thats instinct....you cant teach that stuff

His ability as a receiver out of the backfield makes him a must start the rest of the season even with the tough schedule. He ran a couple routes out of the backfield in the KC game he just was never targeted. He's averaged 2 receptions a game the last three games not counting the KC game. That's playing very few snaps. His floor is pretty high imo if he's healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread