What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Match Ups to Exploit/Avoid Week 5 (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I cannot remember a week in which so many injuries and off the field situations has had such an impact on potential starting RB in the NFL…simply crazy. I have been gun shy this week to try and explain what might unfold this Sunday. I think it’s important when we do have weeks like what we are seeing, to try and simply break down the games and possibly what the game plans will be rather than which RB will fill that role. Hopefully we will get some updates over the weekend.

Arizona at St Louis

Game Plan: Arizona comes into the game avg 110 yds and almost 4.3 ypc. And they are facing the Rams who are giving up 157 yds a game, 4.8 ypc, and 2 TD a game on the ground defensively, one of the worst in the NFL. How does Haslett even keep a job as DC in the NFL?

The Rams come in with a ton of problems on offense. Bulger is OUT at QB, Frerotte is not an upgrade I assure you. With little to scare defenses in the passing game, and a back up RB, I can’t imagine the Rams are a good play at much this week. Only 84 yds and 3.4 ypc on offense coming into this one, and the Cards are only giving up 3.7 ypc.

Edge: Must start this week. I have tried to find something to point to him having an avg game and I really can’t other than just a bad beat for owners. He should easily have 100 yds and a score on Sunday.

Brian Leonard: I know with bye weeks and injuries that owners feel forced to play him but he is a long shot at best to post anything in the top 10/20 this week.

Oddsmaker: Arizona(-3.5) 27…St Louis 17

Atlanta at Tennessee

Game Plan: The Falcons have found some life in their passing game as of late. To this point it hasn’t really helped the running game. The Falcons have just 1 rushing TD on the season, and are avg only 3.5 ypc. Meanwhile the Titans defense is stiff and only allowing 63 yds a game and 3.5 ypc. Could be a long day for Atlanta and their running game.

The Titans had a huge game in week 1 and have been much more pedestrian running the football since then. However they are avg 173 yards rushing a game, 4.5 ypc however the RB are not hitting that and Vince Young sure isn’t hurting those averages either. The Falcons are not a shut down defense so I would imagine we would see some decent stats out of the Ti-tans on Sunday.

Warrick Dunn: Has had 13, 11 and 18 carries the past 3 weeks. Looks like he is on pace for about 225-240 carries this season and that should keep him fairly healthy. He has had 4 catches in each of the past 2 games so in PPR leagues I kind of like him better. 13 receptions for the season but only 52 yds…Dunn is putting up about 50-60 yds rush a week and he won’t find gaping holes on Sunday. I keep him on my bench.

Jerious Norwood: Tired of talking about a guy that doesn’t get a lot of touches and doesn’t do much with the few that he gets. He is a non factor...HOWEVER he does have 8 catches for 87 yds on the season…he should be getting the ball more out of the backfield. But I don’t get to call plays during the games unfortunately.

LenDale White: I like his chances a little more this week. Fairly soft defense he will be facing. This game will be low scoring and White should see plenty of action.

Chris Brown: Really been a non factor since his week 1 performance. In a week of so many injuries though, you might roll the dice, but be forewarned that Fisher seems very intent on making White the guy that is going to carry it 15-18 times.

Oddsmaker: Tennessee (-8) 17…Atlanta 13

Carolina at New Orleans

Game Plan: The Panthers are a tough team to gauge right now. You look on paper and see 131 yds, 4.6 ypc, and you think you are on to something here…but they only have 1 rushing TD in 4 games, and with Delhomme out they looked awful last week. The Saints believe it or not actually only give up 3.7 ypc. They can defend the run. Their weakness is the passing game and the Panthers weakness right now is their passing game.

New Orleans is only able to muster 3.5 ypc rushing the football and that was when they had Deuce. Reggie Bush will become the focus in the running game and so far in his career, he has not shown the ability to hit the holes and find positive yardage.

DeShaun Foster: I actually think Carolina will try and run him all day along with DeAngelo. They are 2-2 and with the Bucs facing Indy, the Panthers will see an opp to get back into it this weekend. I expect them to rely on what they do best at the moment. DeShaun is up and down but he has had some good games in domes where his speed and power come together pretty well. I like him to have a decent game on Sunday.

DeAngelo Williams: Had a garbage TD on a screen last week. Don’t get too excited yet, but keep an eye on him this week. DeShaun has been fumbling the ball and we might see a slight uptick in the amount of touches DeAngelo will see on Sunday.

Reggie Bush: He should see a large share of the workload. I expect him coming out of the bye week to be ready to do whatever it takes to get that running game on track. Sean payton will likely put him in situations where he can succeed, and I don’t imagine he will be forced to run through thte “A” gaps a whole lot. Look for a lot of Off Tackle runs for him and plenty of screen passes.

Oddsmaker: New Orleans 21…Carolina(+3) 20

Cleveland at New England

Game Plan: Can you believe the Browns are 2-2, and they are avg 4.8 ypc and 114 on the ground? Now NE has been running over people but I also believe that most of the coaches they have faced have simply abandoned their game plans when they start falling behind. Romeo Crennel IMO will not do that and also will have a few tricks up his sleeve for the Pats on Sunday. I am not projecting the Browns to win the game but I think they will hang in there for as long as they can.

The Pats have a huge advantage running the ball this week. They are avg 157 yds a game and Cleveland is allowing 160 yds a game…maybe we will see a blowout on Sunday. The Browns have only given up 1 rushing TD on the season but that’s mostly due to the fact they allow so many passing TD and teams can throw it inside the 20…something the Pats are very very vry good at doing.

Jamal Lewis: His avg has been skewed by the week he had against Cinci... 3.7 and 2.8 ypc the past 2 weeks. I want to give him a stamp of approval this week but we have to be realistic about how good the Pats are. They have destroyed everyone so far.

Sammy Morris: Just play him. After watching him run last week, there is no way he takes a small role in things on Sunday. And the pAts have 2 legitimate RB now that can carry them into the playoffs(Like Randy Moss and Tom Brady aren’t carrying them into the playoffs). The Pats can just run the ball Sunday if they so desire.

Laurence Maroney: I would tell you to look at the IR but what good does that do, so many last minute scratches…this is a 1:00 game so we should know by 11:30 Sunday if he is going to play or not. I would make plans to not start him at this point.

Oddsmaker: New England(-16) 34…Cleveland 17

Detroit at Washington

Game Plan: The Lions are 3-1 coming into this game. Let me repeat for all the long time fans in Detroit…the LIONS are 3-1 coming into this game. They are a non factor at running the ball however we will talk about the possible plays they have this week. The Skins are pretty tough at stopping the run.

Washington avg 4.0 ypc, they should be better really. And they grind out 134 a week but their passing game or lack thereof is really holding them back. Al Saunders is doing the best he can but Campnell is nothing like what Trent Green was a few years back and Green was able to punish defenses when they pinched up to stop the run…that doesn’t happen in Washington. The Lion can be run on so I look for a big workload on Sunday from the Washington ground game.

Tatum Bell: He had 11 carries last week but he is not much of a factor at anything right now.

Kevin Jones: 10 carries for 38 yds last week. He also has back to back TD which is what has owners attention. I think you gotta start him at this point if he is on your roster. Especially with the bye weeks right now. I don’t see him getting 20 carries and the Skins rush defense is good, however the Lions pass attack will set up a short field at some point and he will likely have some more red zone looks this week.

Clinton Portis: Reported to have a sprained knee. I will keep this simple. We have a 1:00 game, we will know his status on Sunday, however you have to think he will see a lighter load and Betts will see some increases in touches. In fact Betts might get the work between the 20s and Portis might get the work inside the 20s since Betts was abysmal at the end of the game against the Giants 2 weeks ago.

Ladell Betts: He will see action on Sunday. Nice bye week filler and he might have a bigger impact this week with Portis and his supposive sprained knee.

Oddsmaker: Washington 20…Detroit (+3.5) 17

Jacksonville at Kansas City

Game Plan: Just guessing but I bet we see a lot of carries on both sides this week. Chiefs are giving up 118 a week and the Jags are running it to the tune of 124 a week. Fairly avg on both sides.

The Chiefs were much better last week. Now the Jags after getting torn apart in week 1 were able to shut down Atl and Denver at Invesco Field which is mighty impressive. I am not impressed with them attacking the Falcons, and while they did very well against Denver, it was their offense that really helped by going on an extremely long drive to open the game and take Denver out of their gameplan and Travis Henry out of rhythm. I think if the Chiefs try hard enough, they might find success on Sunday.

Fred Taylor: He will get about 15 carries on Sunday, probably rack up between 60-75 yds and I am not sure what that is worth to owners. He has 8, 8, and 4 points so far in most leagues, nothing to write home about here.

MJD: 7 carries, then 11, finally 15 in Denver…it’s hard to project but he simply needs to bust a few to get back on track. He has been a dud so far though. He also isn’t getting a lot of work out of thebackfield which is vital for a RB like him so he can get into open space to work.

Larry Johnson: This is about the last of what I feel are quality defenses where he might falter. I think they started to get back on track last week but can they do it in consecutive weeks? Lots of sites have LJ in the top3 this week…OK I get that but at the same time I am not sharing my true feelings if I go along with that mindset. I think LJ will do OK but he is still a week or two away from getting into the soft part of his run schedule.

Oddsmaker: Jacksonville (-2) 13…Kansas City 10

Miami at Houston

Game Plan: The Phins are 0-4 and making a run for the #1 pick in the draft season. I could write an entire thread on the demise of the Miami Dolphins and will some day but I just haven’t gotten around to it. Ronnie Brown is doing well though. Miami is avg 4.5 ypc, maybe they should run the ball. The problem this week is Houston is only giving up 3.4 ypc and 80 yds a game, they are pretty good at stopping the run.

The Texans are not running the ball very well right now, and they have injuries that are not helping much either. Look for Schaub to try and air it out to keep them in the game on Sunday.

Ronnie Brown: Guy is playing like a stud right now. Getting almost 200 yds in back to back weeks, you have to play him but I look for him to return back to Earth this week in the stats department.

Ahman Green: I don’t trust him right now enough to play him. Check the IR as well. It is a 1:00 game, this would be a great match up for him, but he simply may not be healthy enough.

Ron Dayne: If he is named the starter and despite having his own injury problems the past week or two, if he is named the starter you better get him out there. Dayne had very good stats at the ned of last season and Miami is allowing 200 yds a game, fresh off having their clock cleaned by Justin Fargas of all people last week. Zach Thomas has been out of commission with a Concussion the past 2 weeks and he might miss again this week. Dayne could be the surprise of the week if he is named the starter.

Oddsmaker: Houston 24…Miami(+5) 20

New York Jets at New York Giants

Game Plan: The Jets are not a good running team right now. Only 82 yds a game and a 3.2 avg vs the Giants allowing 105 yds a game. I don’t see where this is a slamdunk for the Jets run attack at all. In fact I see them taking to the air right now. They are 1-3, desperate for a win, and they have weapons in the passing game.

The Giants have a bunch of RB in the news this week. They are avg 4.2 ypc and almost 100 a week on the ground. The Jets are better at stopping the run than many realize, allowing only 3.7 ypc despite being gashed by Ronnie Brown 2 weeks ago. I also think Eli and crew will take to the air over trying to pound it out.

Thomas Jones: Very avg numbers this week. He has not found the end zone yet this season and the Giants have found renewed life with division wins over the Eagles and Skins the last 2 weeks. Average this Sunday.

Leon Washington: Had a TD and 8 receptions last week…might be time to start putting him in at flex positions if you have bye week issues. This is one of those weeks as NY is fairly soft against the pass and their LB are not the best in coverage IMO.

Derrick Ward: Guy is a yardage machine. Another 80 yds last week on 19 carries, I don’t care if Jacobs is ready or not, this guy has to be in the mix for at least a split. They are winning too, why rock the boat?

Brandon Jacobs: Word is he will see some touches, but I wouldn’t be starting him yet.

Oddsmaker: New York Giants(-3) 24…New York Jets 21

Seattle at Pittsburgh

Game Plan: Seattle is very mediocre right now avg only 3.5 ypc. The Steelers are only allowing 81 yds a game. This is not a good match up for Seattle this week and in fact I believe they will get run out of the building on Sunday.

Pittsburgh did not make it happen last week but they are putting up 168 a week on the ground and Seattle allows 4.2 ypc. This is the recipe for Seahawk Stew on Sunday.

Shaun Alexander: Will have a very tough go of it this week. How any sites are putting him in the top10 is crazy…FBG is not one of them btw. I realize many of you are forced to play him this week but I just don’t see any reason for optimism.

FWP: Should get the ball all day long. I expect him to be in the top10 if not top5 this week…if he finds the end zone he could be the top back this week. The Steelers are fuming after their loss in the desert last week, look for them to take it out on Seattle.

Oddsmaker: Pittsburgh(-5) 31…Seattle 13

Tampa Bay at Indy

Game Plan: For the Bucs it I very simple this week. Establish the run, keep Manning on the sidelines, make sure they are in a close game for the 4th quarter. The loss of Cadillac is not as big a loss for the Bucs as it was for FF owners. The bigger loss for them was Luke Petigout and this game is going to wind up being whether his replacement, a 2nd year LT, can keep Dwight Freeney off Jeff Garcia’s back all day. I would be desiging roll outs to Garcia’s right and make a moving pocket for him to find Galloway down the field. Bob Sanders is likely out and that should mean good things for graham and crew.

The Colts will have their issues with the Bucs D. I think Manning will be fairly average. Remember, Harrison is likely out and Addai might not play from rumors we have heard.

Earnest Graham: Will likely get the larger share of the hand offs. I expect Pittman to see action as well but Graham is going to get the Cadillac carries. Colts give up 118 on the ground a game and the Bucs are avg 4.2 ypc. This is a great match up for Graham.

Michael Pittman: Only in PPR leagues for flex play IMO.

Joseph Addai: Check the injury report but with a bye week looming, even if he plays I don’t expect big things from him on Sunday.

Kenton Keith: Before you start grabbing him as a bye week replacement, understand the situation. If he starts he will see the defense early in the game when they are fresh. With Harrison out, the passing game will surely take a hit, this could mean the Bucs could get away with man on man coverage and put 7 in the box. The Bucs LB include HoF’er Derrick Brooks, Cato June(revenge game), and probably their best LB right now Barrett Ruud…IDP guys know him and you better get to know him because that guy is straight up nasty…possibly the best defensive player the Bucs have right now and that says a lot. Monte Kiffin has this group playing at a high level.

Oddsmaker: Upset special of the week…Tampa Bay(+10) 20…Indianapolis 17

Baltimore at San Fran

Game Plan: The Ravens will look to beat up on Dilfer and the Niners. Trent was terrible in relief of Alex Smith last week. Despite the Birds not looking that great on defense, I expect them to be able to fair alright on Sunday. They are throwing for almost 240 yds a game and are rushing for 116/4.3 ypc…it’s amystery why they are struggling so much. Their offense is not as bad as we have seen in the past so the defense has no excuses really.

Willis McGahee: On paper, this is another good match up for McGahee. The Niners allow 130 a game and 4.0 ypc. If the Ravens just pound the ball, they should walk out of Candlestick with a win on Sunday.

Frank Gore: The Ravens might allow a lot thru the air but they still shut the run down pretty good. Gore had 2 TD against St Louis but other than that he has been just OK. Gore hasn’t cracked 100 yds on the ground this season, a trend that will remain in tact come Sunday. Do you think the Ravens are gameplanning Trent Dilfer and Darrell Jackson??? NO!!!

Oddsmaker: Baltimore 17(-3.5)…San Fran 9

San Diego at Denver

Game Plan: The Bolts will try and get back on track. I went into length in several threads about their problems right now. I don’t want to beat a dead horse. The Broncos give up a lot on the ground, LT should find some room to roam on Sunday.

What is more interesting to talk about in this game is the Denver running situation…you talk about a soap opera…my god, on Wed henry was gone for the season with an knee ligament tear, OOPS! That turned out to be not true so then the next day we find out that henry failed a ganja test…OOPS! I’m waiting for them to report that he single handedly started the Iraq War by the end of the weekend. And here’s the funny part…he is probably going to play on Sunday because he has a pending lawsuit against the NFL on a technicality that could get tied up in court for several weeks if not months. Goodell has never been shy about suspending people but even he has to follow protocol. I am eager to hear what Shanahan and the Broncos say about this whole situation.

LT: If you can trade him for like a 3 for 1 deal in some of your redrafts…I might do it. He still will be solid and have some great games this season but nothing close to that streak of weeks we saw last year. Why not try and improve your team?

Travis Henry: Split at best this week? Watch the injury report, would not surprise me if he is a late scratch for the game.

Selvin Young: Not going to pretend I know a lot about him. There are lots of threads in here if you want to know more. I would want to wait and see with this situation.

Oddsmaker: San Diego(+1) 23…Denver 16

Chicago at Green Bay

Game Plan: The Bears biggest problem is not their QB but the fact they simply cannot run the football. And Green bay actually allows 4.5 ypc but the Bears have had good match ups and not exploited any of them.

Green Bay will try and throw the ball, take advantage of the injuries to Chicago on defense, and likely abandon their running game all together again.

Cedric Benson: Won’t be an NFL RB much longer. Guy can’t do a thing.

Vernand Morency: He had 3 catches for 33 yds alst week but all GB RB should be benched right now.

Oddsmaker: Green Bay(-3) 17…Chicago 14

Dallas at Buffalo

Game Plan: The Cowboys should be able to do whatever they want to Buffalo on Sunday. They are simply awesome on offense and they showed last week that if you don’t game plan for everybody that they will exploit you. The Bills are pretty giving on defense allowing almost 150 yds a game on the ground and 4.9 ypc.

Buffalo will try and run the ball, protect their rookie QB, and keep Romo on the sidelines…good luck with that. Dallas is actually doing well against the run, allowing only 80 yds a game on the ground.

MB III: Must start in all leagues, all formats.

Julius Jones: Just as we wanted to close the book on this guy he knocks in 60+ yds and a TD last week. In a game where you likely see Dallas win easily, I think JJ is a possible start for owners with bye week issues.

Marshawn Lynch: Back to back weeks with TD…he has 3 of them in 4 games this season. He likely will not have great match ups most of the season but I expect he will see a lot of action on MNF.

Oddsmaker: Dallas(-10) 30…Buffalo 13

Good luck this weekend everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work MoP. Especially your scoring predictions! I love TB +10 this week. I can't believe they are still gettting this many points with so many people hurt. Don't know about the outright win, but it should be an easy cover. Not sure if I agree with Pittsburgh rolling over Seattle like that though?

Job well done!

I don't see how you bench SA unless he isn't playing.
Spoken like a true Shaun owner...I'm kidding, relax.I understand owners are going to play him but just like when I highlighted Rivers in the Q thread last week as a bad play...someitmes I have to call them like I see them. And htis week you will notice I tried to incorporate the overall theme of the games on a game by game basis...menaing I think Pittsburgh will smoke, roast, and toast the Seahakws on Sunday...therefore I don't really believe they will be in a close game, with his wrist in a cast, maybe he hits the bench earlier than planned and I don't see Seattle controlling the game which would be good for Alexander if they could...but they won't.

Awesome work MoP. Especially your scoring predictions! I love TB +10 this week. I can't believe they are still gettting this many points with so many people hurt. Don't know about the outright win, but it should be an easy cover. Not sure if I agree with Pittsburgh rolling over Seattle like that though? Job well done!
Thanks LB, much appreciated.

Have you watched the guy play this year? He's done ZERO this year, and the Steelers are very good against the run. I'd be suprised if he gets more than 70 yards this week. And he will NOT find the end zone this week. I actually agree with MoP's analysis on SA.

His steadily declining fantasy points and a defense giving up 81 yds/game?I mean, you have to start him unless you hit big with later round choices, but I'm with MoP.. I just don't expect a great week from him. Something like 75/0 sounds about right for the high side.

Brandon Jacobs: Word is he will see some touches, but I wouldn’t be starting him yet.

May want to update this one. Ward hasn't practiced this week and Jacobs has been removed from the injury report. On top of that, they are at home playing against the Jets porous run DEF. Jacobs may go for 2TDs and 100 this week!

Great job as usual. Only disagreement is with Portis. I believe that there is a lot of bluffing coming out of DC, and also Portis said he felt very good yesterday. I think Portis goes off, but I could be wrong.

His steadily declining fantasy points and a defense giving up 81 yds/game?I mean, you have to start him unless you hit big with later round choices, but I'm with MoP.. I just don't expect a great week from him. Something like 75/0 sounds about right for the high side.
agreed sometimes you just throw your players out there even if the matchup is less than desireable.

Brandon Jacobs: Word is he will see some touches, but I wouldn’t be starting him yet. May want to update this one. Ward hasn't practiced this week and Jacobs has been removed from the injury report. On top of that, they are at home playing against the Jets porous run DEF. Jacobs may go for 2TDs and 100 this week!
Great info, will update tonight when I get in from work. Good stuff War Eagle!!!

Brandon Jacobs: Word is he will see some touches, but I wouldn’t be starting him yet. May want to update this one. Ward hasn't practiced this week and Jacobs has been removed from the injury report. On top of that, they are at home playing against the Jets porous run DEF. Jacobs may go for 2TDs and 100 this week!
:)

Little more info:

Portis: word is he is healthy. I expect 20+ carries at least. Thinking he has a breakout game this week,

Jacobs: Will start and has practiced fully. I'd start him as he will see GL carries. I see the situation with him and Ward being similar to him and Tiki last year, only with a more equ9itable split tween the 20s.

Henry: Might want to update that one.

Ministry of Pain said:
The New York Daily News expects Brandon Jacobs (knee) to carry the bulk of the Giants' running back workload Sunday against the Jets.

Beat writer Ralph Vacchiano guesses that Derrick Ward will only get 5-10 carries. If the Daily News' prediction is correct, Jacobs would be a strong flex play and borderline RB2 against an undersized Jets defense. It appears Jacobs will regain his starting job immediately after working fully all week.

Ministry of Pain said:
Carolina at New Orleans

Game Plan: The Panthers are a tough team to gauge right now. You look on paper and see 131 yds, 4.6 ypc, and you think you are on to something here…but they only have 1 rushing TD in 4 games, and with Delhomme out they looked awful last week. The Saints believe it or not actually only give up 3.7 ypc. They can defend the run. Their weakness is the passing game and the Panthers weakness right now is their passing game.

New Orleans is only able to muster 3.5 ypc rushing the football and that was when they had Deuce. Reggie Bush will become the focus in the running game and so far in his career, he has not shown the ability to hit the holes and find positive yardage.

DeShaun Foster: I actually think Carolina will try and run him all day along with DeAngelo. They are 2-2 and with the Bucs facing Indy, the Panthers will see an opp to get back into it this weekend. I expect them to rely on what they do best at the moment. DeShaun is up and down but he has had some good games in domes where his speed and power come together pretty well. I like him to have a decent game on Sunday.

DeAngelo Williams: Had a garbage TD on a screen last week. Don’t get too excited yet, but keep an eye on him this week. DeShaun has been fumbling the ball and we might see a slight uptick in the amount of touches DeAngelo will see on Sunday.

Reggie Bush: He should see a large share of the workload. I expect him coming out of the bye week to be ready to do whatever it takes to get that running game on track. Sean payton will likely put him in situations where he can succeed, and I don’t imagine he will be forced to run through thte “A” gaps a whole lot. Look for a lot of Off Tackle runs for him and plenty of screen passes.

Oddsmaker: New Orleans 21…Carolina(+3) 20
I see this game being the toughest call for Fantasy teams this wkend. (little surprised Carolina is an Away Favorite by 3?) You have N.O. coming off a bye and don't really know what to expect out of their offense and whether they turned the corner during their bye week

VS

Carolina's inconsistency on offense and defense and whether Carr can settle in at QB along with Foster Bueller's "day off" this wk & his fumbling pattern.

I've got Foster in 2 leagues and I'm really hesitant to start him in both leagues with the way CAR is playing. I can't afford to get burned by him in both leagues.

League 1: will probably start Edge and S.Morris instead (assuming Maroney update is favorable for Morris)

League 2: will probably start Foster and T.Jones/L.Betts depending on Portis update

Kenton Keith: Before you start grabbing him as a bye week replacement, understand the situation. If he starts he will see the defense early in the game when they are fresh. With Harrison out, the passing game will surely take a hit, this could mean the Bucs could get away with man on man coverage and put 7 in the box. The Bucs LB include HoF’er Derrick Brooks, Cato June(revenge game), and probably their best LB right now Barrett Ruud…IDP guys know him and you better get to know him because that guy is straight up nasty…possibly the best defensive player the Bucs have right now and that says a lot. Monte Kiffin has this group playing at a high level.
I don't know about this MoP. I think if he starts, just like any INDY running back in this system in the past 5 years or so, he has a solid chance at 100 and a TD in any game. Harrison or not, talent of Addai or not...this passing offense will click anyway, and the running lanes will be open as they always are. I think TB's defense gets overrated, and there won't be many downs that all 3 LB's are on the field anyway. I personally think Keith is a good to great play and a must start in any game Addai is out. And in comparison to the ridiculous amount of RBBC's and bye week fillers, etc, etc...if Keith is starting with Addai inactive, he will be a top 5 play this week.

i will try to make a case for alexander, though i agree with everyone about the matchup.

first, pittsburgh may have an elite defense, but so far this year SA has faced some good run defenses. 3 of the 4 teams seattle has played rank in the top half of the league by FO's DVOA, including 2 top 10s: arizona at 8, tampa at 6.

second, seattle may have a low ypc so far this year, but their offense has generally been pretty good. FO ranks them 12th so far this year. surely seattle can get at least some points?

third, as long as seattle can score, SA is a decent bet to get a TD. he scored in 60% of his games last year and 50% this year. and get this: he has never gone 3 games in a row without scoring a TD since he became a starter. this week would be the 3rd in a row.

MoP -- Great Thread, I enjoy the read every week!

Whats your thoughts on a possible stat line for LenDale?

third, as long as seattle can score, SA is a decent bet to get a TD. he scored in 60% of his games last year and 50% this year. and get this: he has never gone 3 games in a row without scoring a TD since he became a starter. this week would be the 3rd in a row.
<Jack Lengyel> "There's a first time for everything" <Jack Lengyel>

Ministry of Pain said:
Baltimore at San Fran

Game Plan: The Ravens will look to beat up on Dilfer and the Niners. Trent was terrible in relief of Alex Smith last week. Despite the Birds not looking that great on defense, I expect them to be able to fair alright on Sunday. They are throwing for almost 240 yds a game and are rushing for 116/4.3 ypc…it’s amystery why they are struggling so much. Their offense is not as bad as we have seen in the past so the defense has no excuses really.

Willis McGahee: On paper, this is another good match up for McGahee. The Niners allow 130 a game and 4.0 ypc. If the Ravens just pound the ball, they should walk out of Candlestick with a win on Sunday.

Frank Gore: The Ravens might allow a lot thru the air but they still shut the run down pretty good. Gore had 2 TD against St Louis but other than that he has been just OK. Gore hasn’t cracked 100 yds on the ground this season, a trend that will remain in tact come Sunday. Do you think the Ravens are gameplanning Trent Dilfer and Darrell Jackson??? NO!!!

I agree with your analysis of Gore's potential this week. I'm strongly considering sitting him in my PPR league this week for KJ. Then I check the weekly cheats and Gore's ranking has me totally confused. What am I missing? New QB, backup TE, just lost an OL..... I gotta believe that the only chance SF has this week is through the air not on the ground. Balt still looks solid vs the run.

Ministry of Pain said:
Baltimore at San Fran

I agree with your analysis of Gore's potential this week. I'm strongly considering sitting him in my PPR league this week for KJ. Then I check the weekly cheats and Gore's ranking has me totally confused. What am I missing? New QB, backup TE, just lost an OL..... I gotta believe that the only chance SF has this week is through the air not on the ground. Balt still looks solid vs the run.
I was wondering the exact same thing, he's ranked insanely high this week

Ministry of Pain said:
San Diego at Denver

Game Plan: The Bolts will try and get back on track. I went into length in several threads about their problems right now. I don’t want to beat a dead horse. The Broncos give up a lot on the ground, LT should find some room to roam on Sunday.

What is more interesting to talk about in this game is the Denver running situation…you talk about a soap opera…my god, on Wed henry was gone for the season with an knee ligament tear, OOPS! That turned out to be not true so then the next day we find out that henry failed a ganja test…OOPS! I’m waiting for them to report that he single handedly started the Iraq War by the end of the weekend. And here’s the funny part…he is probably going to play on Sunday because he has a pending lawsuit against the NFL on a technicality that could get tied up in court for several weeks if not months. Goodell has never been shy about suspending people but even he has to follow protocol. I am eager to hear what Shanahan and the Broncos say about this whole situation.

LT: If you can trade him for like a 3 for 1 deal in some of your redrafts…I might do it. He still will be solid and have some great games this season but nothing close to that streak of weeks we saw last year. Why not try and improve your team?

Travis Henry: Split at best this week? Watch the injury report, would not surprise me if he is a late scratch for the game.

Selvin Young: Not going to pretend I know a lot about him. There are lots of threads in here if you want to know more. I would want to wait and see with this situation.
You know what? This could be Henry's last game in a really long time. Broncos have a bye-week after this game - he could certainly be suspended prior to the following week. If Henry goes, he will play like a mad-man, and Shanahan would be wise to run him into the ground. Of course, He could this as an opprutunity to figure out how to live without Henry - an audition for SYoung and/or a host of others.

One thing to keep in mind however - Denver struggles against the 3-4.

<Jack Lengyel> "There's a first time for everything" <Jack Lengyel>
But more non-firsts. I agree it could happen - it would be another marker of his decline I guess. I don't really want to bet on something that hasn't happened before though. That's just me.

I'd like to emphasize Ron Dayne again in this thread and point to a few stats at the end of last season when he was the starter and healthy...

18/95

21/87/2

18/94/1

32/152/2

And he will see Miami who id dead last at stopping the run right now...Zach Thomas might be down for a bit longer too. Miami is awful right now.

Dayne could be a great WW pick up for guys that have the likes of LaMont Jordan, Rudi Johnson, Brian Westbrook, or ADP this week, all those guys are on bye weeks. Dayne IMO could be a top20 maybe even a top10/15 RB this week.

kncks12 said:
Great job as usual. Only disagreement is with Portis. I believe that there is a lot of bluffing coming out of DC, and also Portis said he felt very good yesterday. I think Portis goes off, but I could be wrong.
Portis hasn't really gone off all season...I'm just saying.

I don't know about this MoP. I think if he starts, just like any INDY running back in this system in the past 5 years or so, he has a solid chance at 100 and a TD in any game. Harrison or not, talent of Addai or not...this passing offense will click anyway, and the running lanes will be open as they always are. I think TB's defense gets overrated, and there won't be many downs that all 3 LB's are on the field anyway. I personally think Keith is a good to great play and a must start in any game Addai is out. And in comparison to the ridiculous amount of RBBC's and bye week fillers, etc, etc...if Keith is starting with Addai inactive, he will be a top 5 play this week.
Edge...and??? Addai basically...this isn't Denver. Rhodes had some mild success but ntohing outstanding, and Indy will have some issues throwing the ball this week. Tampa Bay is as close to a complete defense as they ahve seen. And I think Brooks, Ruud, a dn June will be on the field...June can drop abck and cover people, almost as good as an extra Safety out there.

I'd like to emphasize Ron Dayne again in this thread and point to a few stats at the end of last season when he was the starter and healthy...18/9521/87/218/94/132/152/2And he will see Miami who id dead last at stopping the run right now...Zach Thomas might be down for a bit longer too. Miami is awful right now.Dayne could be a great WW pick up for guys that have the likes of LaMont Jordan, Rudi Johnson, Brian Westbrook, or ADP this week, all those guys are on bye weeks. Dayne IMO could be a top20 maybe even a top10/15 RB this week.
I believe Zach Thomas and Channing Crowder, both of their starting LB's will be playing this week. Does that change anything? I'm considering starting Dayne over Brandon Jacobs or Addai/Keith and I'm kind of worried due to last week where he didn't really do too much if you take away that 20+ yard run.

i will try to make a case for alexander, though i agree with everyone about the matchup.first, pittsburgh may have an elite defense, but so far this year SA has faced some good run defenses. 3 of the 4 teams seattle has played rank in the top half of the league by FO's DVOA, including 2 top 10s: arizona at 8, tampa at 6.second, seattle may have a low ypc so far this year, but their offense has generally been pretty good. FO ranks them 12th so far this year. surely seattle can get at least some points?third, as long as seattle can score, SA is a decent bet to get a TD. he scored in 60% of his games last year and 50% this year. and get this: he has never gone 3 games in a row without scoring a TD since he became a starter. this week would be the 3rd in a row.
Alexander might have seen good defenses, but he hasn't cracked 100 yds yet, why would he start against a really good one this week? You can't base any argument on that can you? If he faces Pitt and Balt, then Pitt, and Balt again 4 weeks in a row, it doesn't matter, he still has a tough match up this weekend...and Seattle willb e run out of the building, they should just stay home and save the airfare and jet fuel.

I'd like to emphasize Ron Dayne again in this thread and point to a few stats at the end of last season when he was the starter and healthy...18/9521/87/218/94/132/152/2And he will see Miami who id dead last at stopping the run right now...Zach Thomas might be down for a bit longer too. Miami is awful right now.Dayne could be a great WW pick up for guys that have the likes of LaMont Jordan, Rudi Johnson, Brian Westbrook, or ADP this week, all those guys are on bye weeks. Dayne IMO could be a top20 maybe even a top10/15 RB this week.
I believe Zach Thomas and Channing Crowder, both of their starting LB's will be playing this week. Does that change anything? I'm considering starting Dayne over Brandon Jacobs or Addai/Keith and I'm kind of worried due to last week where he didn't really do too much if you take away that 20+ yard run.
Zach and Channing were in the line up along with Jerry Porter in weeks 1 and 2, they weren't much better aginast Wash and Dallas. They are dead last in the league allowing almost 200 yds a game right now...they are pathetic.

kncks12 said:
Your objection to Portis, however, was not about his not busting out this week, it was about his health not making him a viable start. Portis has only played in three games this year, but is really only one TD away from being firmly in the Top 10 RBs in terms of FP.Not saying he's had a monster break out game, but when he's been on the field this year, he's been more than serviceable. 70+ yards and a TD against Detroit is a lock, IMHO.FWIW, I don't currently own Portis in any of my leagues. And, FWIW, tremendous job as always, MoP -- thanks!

Ministry of Pain said:
Clinton Portis: Reported to have a sprained knee. I will keep this simple. We have a 1:00 game, we will know his status on Sunday, however you have to think he will see a lighter load and Betts will see some increases in touches. In fact Betts might get the work between the 20s and Portis might get the work inside the 20s since Betts was abysmal at the end of the game against the Giants 2 weeks ago.
:thumbup: I don't really agree with this. Most "experts" have Portis in their Top-10 RB's to start this week. He is playing the Lions, which is a good matchup.
Clinton Portis-RB- Redskins Oct. 5 - 5:46 pm et

Clinton Portis (knee) is listed as probable for Week 5. He practiced without restrictions throughout the week.

Portis should be in all fantasy lineups against the Lions.
I just don't think the reported injury is enought to give Betts the work between the 20's. Betts just isn't the player Portis is.

kncks12 said:
Your objection to Portis, however, was not about his not busting out this week, it was about his health not making him a viable start. Portis has only played in three games this year, but is really only one TD away from being firmly in the Top 10 RBs in terms of FP.Not saying he's had a monster break out game, but when he's been on the field this year, he's been more than serviceable. 70+ yards and a TD against Detroit is a lock, IMHO.FWIW, I don't currently own Portis in any of my leagues. And, FWIW, tremendous job as always, MoP -- thanks!
Have not seen as much of you as I would like STC...one of the all time great Board Names. I just don't trust coaches this year, if Portis doesn't practice, I guess he could play, just am gun shy with these RB right now.

Ministry of Pain said:
:thumbup: I don't really agree with this. Most "experts" have Portis in their Top-10 RB's to start this week. He is playing the Lions, which is a good matchup.
Clinton Portis-RB- Redskins Oct. 5 - 5:46 pm et

Clinton Portis (knee) is listed as probable for Week 5. He practiced without restrictions throughout the week.

Portis should be in all fantasy lineups against the Lions.
I just don't think the reported injury is enought to give Betts the work between the 20's. Betts just isn't the player Portis is.
That's why I like to post this stuff every week. I am going to hold judgement till Sunday, honestly. But as long as Portis is good to go...I know I read he had a sprained knee, but if he is good to go, certainly he has the match up this week, no doubt.

Zach and Channing were in the line up along with Jerry Porter in weeks 1 and 2, they weren't much better aginast Wash and Dallas. They are dead last in the league allowing almost 200 yds a game right now...they are pathetic.
The Texans aren't run-blocking particularly well right now, so I've got to think if Thomas and Crowder are in there they will be much better against the run this week. Also, this is Ron Dayne (assuming Green is a no-go) we're talking about. He was pretty pathetic last week, especially in short-yardage. We also lost Steve McKinney two weeks ago for the season. Last year, when Dayne had those big games, it coincided with McKinney being inserted into the lineup at center. Mike Flanagan has seen better days and is past his prime. Last week may be a good example. I'm no expert and haven't broken down any tape, but we've had an effective running game in the last year when McKinney's been in there. It seems to get noticeably worse with Flanagan. I can't blame anyone if they have to start Dayne; Miami might be so awful that it doesn't matter. I'm just throwing it out there b/c this is an OL that isn't blowing anyone off the ball right now with a slow, plodding, journeyman RB...

Ministry of Pain said:
Baltimore at San Fran

I was wondering the exact same thing, he's ranked insanely high this week
Add one more to the confused list. Why is Gore so high on the cheatsheets this week??

PranksterJD said:
Magic_Man said:
:mellow:By definition, I don't see how someone's "high side" can be zero TDs.

Thanks M.O.P. for your weekly insight. We need some informative news considering the amount of injuries we have seen already this year. A. Green is my biggest question mark, G.T.D. , hate these when I have to work on a Sunday.

Sunday noon, good time to come down sick at work, rush to the beer store for some Medicine, get to a sofa to contemplate the day. Thanks again M.O.P. appreciated.

Thanks M.O.P. for your weekly insight. We need some informative news considering the amount of injuries we have seen already this year. A. Green is my biggest question mark, G.T.D. , hate these when I have to work on a Sunday. Sunday noon, good time to come down sick at work, rush to the beer store for some Medicine, get to a sofa to contemplate the day. Thanks again M.O.P. appreciated.
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread