What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Matchups to Exploit/Avoid Week 1 (1 Viewer)

I took Bell in the third (back in July - hate early drafts) and didn't handcuff Anderson. So this week I start LT2 and either L.Johnson or Cedric Benson!! Pretty gruesome for Week 1.

Even though your a Titans homer I like your passion about this. Im gonna stick with Cadillac over Parker. I cant see starting an unproven RB just because of matchups.
Isn't this a contradicition? Matchups aside, Parker is more proven than Cadillac at this point in their careers.

Even though your a Titans homer I like your passion about this. Im gonna stick with Cadillac over Parker. I cant see starting an unproven RB just because of matchups.
Isn't this a contradicition? Matchups aside, Parker is more proven than Cadillac at this point in their careers.
Technically yes. But the consensus is Cadillac should be a great RB while Parker is an unknown commodity. Plus I said that I dont like to start an unproven RB just based on matchups. Im not crazy about Caddilac's matchup either but I feel more comfortable starting him. Like I said Id start Foster over both in a heartbeat if it wasnt for SDavis.

Can't believe that nobody is touting Ahman Green against Detroit.  THey'll be playing in the dome, and Detroit is nothing to write  home about.
Strongly disagree. Shaun Rogers and Dan Wilkinson are 2 of the best DTs in football. IIRC Detroit had a good run defense last year.
:mellow: Pack struggles on that turf.. especially against Rogers and Wilkinson the last couple years and that was WITH Wahle, Rivera and Flanagan up the middle.

i don't expect to see Ahman busting off long runs.

so i'm waffling between Thomas Jones and Chris Brown.going w/ Jones for the following reasons1) less likely to see a split. more of a conventional starter/backup split if anything.. Jones should touch the ball 25 times. 2) wash D is going to be tough but Jones will be the #1 threat. w/ the rookie QB looking for quick dump-offs i see Jones catching 5-6 balls.3) i can envision Fisher starting Brown.. struggling to get the run game going early against a stout Pittsburgh run D.. then going with Henry to see if the change can kickstart the offense. not a 6-7 carries for the backup type situation.. but a more even split for week 1 at least. until Henry aggravates that turf toe.

Technically yes. But the consensus is Cadillac should be a great RB while Parker is an unknown commodity. Plus I said that I dont like to start an unproven RB just based on matchups. Im not crazy about Caddilac's matchup either but I feel more comfortable starting him. Like I said Id start Foster over both in a heartbeat if it wasnt for SDavis.
You do realize that the one game Willie started he gained 102 yards on 19 carries, against the leagues #2 defense. I realize it's an extremely small sample but in my mind, he's more proven than a guy who has yet to make a professional start.

Now you guys have me thinking - should I BENCH Portis for MA?I've got Jamal Lewis, Portis and Anderson to choose 2 from. Was thinking Lewis and Portis all the way (Portis was my 1st rounder) - but maybe I should think again?

YOu guys aren't making this easy for me. Many of the discussions have been about Ahman and Tiki, and I have both. I have to decide between them and McGahee. I am leaning toward McGahee and Tiki but this won't be an easy decision.

I agree that Arrington is one you want to avoid this week. I think we'll see alot of blitz packages to try to rattle Warner to disrupt the passing game.

YOu guys aren't making this easy for me. Many of the discussions have been about Ahman and Tiki, and I have both. I have to decide between them and McGahee. I am leaning toward McGahee and Tiki but this won't be an easy decision.
Nice choice to have though!Green vs. Lions is a nice match-up. Detroit D stinks, look for GB to get up early and Green to grind it out. 100-110 total yards & 1 TD.

I don't think Tiki will be awful, just around 80 total yards and no TD.

Barber vs. AZ is a trap game. Cards defense is very underrated and with Manning still hurting, I expect a rough day for all concerned FF wise...except for maybe Boldin or Fitz, and they are probably a little bit of a gamble, too.
Interesting HK, you usually have some good insight on these match ups, let's see what the outcome of the Cards game will be. How do you like JJ Arington?
Thanks, I think a lot of people would agree that the Cards D will be tough this season, so I am not sure I am really going out on a limb here. I anticipate one of those ugly 16-10 type games....hard hitting & filled with Week 1 mistakes.I don't like JJ at all based on what I've read. Now, I have not seen him play, so I don't have as much to go on as others. However his pre-season efforts have yielded poor results and it seems like Shipp has had better success. JJ still appears to have Green solidly behind him for now, so he'll get his opportunity. I have JJ one one roster and I'll be sitting him until he proves himself.

How's the new job going?
Well as what sometimes happens when you leave a job where you worked for a decent amount of time...the 1st job you take isn't always the right one. I left that one to take this new job...1st week. It's a good deal for me. Mortgage broker shop, my commute is PCH up Malibu Canyon Rd to the 101 everyday...gorgeous. Paid under the table so that always helps. 2 Italian Brothers who used to be clients of mine and always wanted me to come work for them...here I am.Hope Arington doesn't struggle too much.

so i'm waffling between Thomas Jones and Chris Brown.

going w/ Jones for the following reasons

1) less likely to see a split. more of a conventional starter/backup split if anything.. Jones should touch the ball 25 times.

2) wash D is going to be tough but Jones will be the #1 threat. w/ the rookie QB looking for quick dump-offs i see Jones catching 5-6 balls.

3) i can envision Fisher starting Brown.. struggling to get the run game going early against a stout Pittsburgh run D.. then going with Henry to see if the change can kickstart the offense. not a 6-7 carries for the backup type situation.. but a more even split for week 1 at least. until Henry aggravates that turf toe.
Is Henry playing? I thought he had a bad toe injury and was doubtful for the game.

Now you guys have me thinking - should I BENCH Portis for MA?

I've got Jamal Lewis, Portis and Anderson to choose 2 from. Was thinking Lewis and Portis all the way (Portis was my 1st rounder) - but maybe I should think again?
I wouldn't bench Portis. Tight game, low scoring, he will see a lot of touches.

so i'm waffling between Thomas Jones and Chris Brown.

going w/ Jones for the following reasons

1)  less likely to see a split. more of a conventional starter/backup split if anything.. Jones should touch the ball 25 times. 

2)  wash D is going to be tough but Jones will be the #1 threat.  w/ the rookie QB looking for quick dump-offs i see Jones catching 5-6 balls.

3)  i can envision Fisher starting Brown.. struggling to get the run game going early against a stout Pittsburgh run D.. then going with Henry to see if the change can kickstart the offense.  not a 6-7 carries for the backup type situation.. but a more even split for week 1 at least.  until Henry aggravates that turf toe.
Is Henry playing? I thought he had a bad toe injury and was doubtful for the game.
the "Titans practice" thread links to an article in the Tennessean today saying that Henry practiced and "feels about 90 percent".i'm dying over here. rosters are locked in a few hours.

Its going to be a tough week for me. Caddy, T Jones, Dunn, Greg Lewis, Stallworth, and Rod Smith. I have to start 3 of them! :cry:

Antiono Bryant had 8 catches for 131 yds and 2 TDs against the Bungles last year. I don't think he'll tally that this year since Dilfer is his QB, but I think 80 yds and 1 TD is a reasonable estimate for week 1.

Barber vs. AZ is a trap game. Cards defense is very underrated and with Manning still hurting, I expect a rough day for all concerned FF wise...except for maybe Boldin or Fitz, and they are probably a little bit of a gamble, too.
Interesting HK, you usually have some good insight on these match ups, let's see what the outcome of the Cards game will be. How do you like JJ Arington?
Thanks, I think a lot of people would agree that the Cards D will be tough this season, so I am not sure I am really going out on a limb here. I anticipate one of those ugly 16-10 type games....hard hitting & filled with Week 1 mistakes.I don't like JJ at all based on what I've read. Now, I have not seen him play, so I don't have as much to go on as others. However his pre-season efforts have yielded poor results and it seems like Shipp has had better success. JJ still appears to have Green solidly behind him for now, so he'll get his opportunity. I have JJ one one roster and I'll be sitting him until he proves himself.

How's the new job going?
Well as what sometimes happens when you leave a job where you worked for a decent amount of time...the 1st job you take isn't always the right one. I left that one to take this new job...1st week. It's a good deal for me. Mortgage broker shop, my commute is PCH up Malibu Canyon Rd to the 101 everyday...gorgeous. Paid under the table so that always helps. 2 Italian Brothers who used to be clients of mine and always wanted me to come work for them...here I am.Hope Arington doesn't struggle too much.
Hey MoP, looks like you work out my way (Thousand Oaks). If so, stop by for a beer if you can at Bogey's (Westlake Village Inn) for tonights game. Great spot to watch a game. Outdoor patio overlooking golf course, plasma TV's, cold beer, stogies. Several of my fantasy football brethren will be there..

Well as what sometimes happens when you leave a job where you worked for a decent amount of time...the 1st job you take isn't always the right one. I left that one to take this new job...1st week. It's a good deal for me. Mortgage broker shop, my commute is PCH up Malibu Canyon Rd to the 101 everyday...gorgeous. Paid under the table so that always helps. 2 Italian Brothers who used to be clients of mine and always wanted me to come work for them...here I am.

Hope Arington doesn't struggle too much.
Good for you, we spend too much time working to be unhappy, I hope things go well for you.Here's to your new job and a good season! :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe that nobody is touting Ahman Green against Detroit.  THey'll be playing in the dome, and Detroit is nothing to write  home about.
Strongly disagree. Shaun Rogers and Dan Wilkinson are 2 of the best DTs in football. IIRC Detroit had a good run defense last year.
:mellow: Pack struggles on that turf.. especially against Rogers and Wilkinson the last couple years and that was WITH Wahle, Rivera and Flanagan up the middle.

i don't expect to see Ahman busting off long runs.
Far be it from me to argue with Homers. I rarely watch Detroit, but I don't recall them shutting anyone down last year. In their Strength of Schedule ratings, FBGs rated this the 5th best matchup for Running Backs. I'm not as concerned about the loss of the guards. They can be replaced much more easily than the Center and Tackles.Not like I have much choice anyway, being in a 16 team league. I have Ahman, Cadillac, and Mike Anderson on my team, and I'll be going with MA and Green this weekend.

I gotta think NE runs the ball a ton to keep Oaklands offense off the field and has success doing it. In their final meeting in 2004, NE ran the ball 39 times against Indy (Another quick strike Offense) about 6 times more than their 2004 average of 33/game. Dillon seems like a no brainer to me and with Brady having a sore shoulder and Branch not playing at all this preseason, seems to me, if the run is working (which it should), they will continue to use it.

One thing to remember with MA VS Miami. and Yes I am a Miami fan and I think they'll lose but.....Denver has never beaten Miami in Miami.....While last year was horrendous, Miami was always a tough one to beat at home (which is odd if you go to their games, most of the people are for the other team since they have so many people moving down there).:)Now here's my delimma.... Parker At Tenn or Curtis Martin at KC?

One thing to remember with MA VS Miami. and Yes I am a Miami fan and I think they'll lose but.....

Denver has never beaten Miami in Miami.....

While last year was horrendous, Miami was always a tough one to beat at home (which is odd if you go to their games, most of the people are for the other team since they have so many people moving down there).

:)

Now here's my delimma.... Parker At Tenn or Curtis Martin at KC?
Miami is something like 9-3 all time against the Broncos...I can remember when Denver played Miami during their SB runs and arino was Miami QB...big game on Monday Night and Miami beat them handily as I remember, I was at the game.

One thing to remember with MA VS Miami. and Yes I am a Miami fan and I  think they'll lose but.....

While last year was horrendous, Miami was always a tough one to beat at home (which is odd if you go to their games, most of the people are for the other team since they have so many people moving down there).

Miami is something like 9-3 all time against the Broncos...I can remember when Denver played Miami during their SB runs and arino was Miami QB...big game on Monday Night and Miami beat them handily as I remember, I was at the game.
yah and I live in Denver now so I've been getting harrassed left and right by my co-workers :) Still Parker or Martin who would you play?

Good to see differences of opinion. If you like Caddy I am not going to try and stop you but I think he is in for a shock his 1st week in the NFL. He'll be fine but it may take a game or 2 to get adjusted.
Why? The sample size for highly touted rookie runners that started opening day is admitted small, but off the top of my head, most seemed to come strong right out of the gate.Edgerrin James, first game of his career: 112 rush yards, 14 receiving yards, TD

Ladian Tomlinson, first game of his career: 113 rush yards, 12 receiving yards, 2 TD

Fred Taylor, First start of career (This was game 3, James Stewart started the first game, but a similar comparison): 128 rush yards, 85 receiving yards, TD

I expect Caddy to come out strong right out of the gate. I am sitting Jamal Lewis for him.

One thing to remember with MA VS Miami. and Yes I am a Miami fan and I  think they'll lose but.....

yah and I live in Denver now so I've been getting harrassed left and right by my co-workers :) Still Parker or Martin who would you play?
Cu Mart all day long over the unproven Parker.

Exploit : Barlow - Rattay had a good preseason Got some fair weapons at WR but no Eric Johnson (Q) I say they feed it to KB early and often use him for dump-offs, in lieu of Johnson, to keep the GSOT off the turf. Shots downfield to Battle/Woods will spread Ram's D a bit.Avoid : Dunn - Don't think Vick has any confidence in his WR's. Put 2 guys on Crumpler, 8 in the box and let Vick try to beat you with his arm. Just won't get the rushing stats this week but may get say 4-5 receptions.

Hope Arington doesn't struggle too much.
Saw this today, basically summarizes my statement earlier - he hasn't looked good, but Green still has faith in him:
Cardinals | Is Arrington Really Ready to be a Starter?

Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:47:23 -0700

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports there are some people questioning if Arizona Cardinals rookie RB J.J. Arrington is ready to be the team's full time starter, especially after a lackluster preseason. The question is whether Arrington has learned enough during training camp to carry Arizona's running game. "Well," running backs coach Kirby Wilson said, "we're going to find out Sunday." Head coach Dennis Green believes Arrington can be a 1,200-yard rusher, and his opportunities with the Cardinals will give him just as much of a chance to do so as the three backs taken before him in the draft — Miami's Ronnie Brown, Tampa Bay's Carnell Williams and Chicago's Cedric Benson. Arrington insists he wasn't frustrated by his preseason production, and doesn't consider the pressure he might be under. "I just want to be on the field and help this team win," Arrington said. "I am sure (Marcel) Shipp will get some carries with me." Green has also hinted that he might dial up pass plays more often if the run game is not working.

Users who are viewing this thread