What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Phillip Lindsay, IND (3 Viewers)

From watching him. Enticed by the measurables and using some basic logic that the high draft pedigree guy who goes 5’11 240 will be the future volume back, and the UDFA who is 5’nothing 180 would be relegated to COP.  

Lindsay is a better interior runner, more explosive outside and a better pass catcher. It didn’t make a lot of sense. Cognitive dissonance takes hold and we use mental strategies to give us peace. First, it was the leg injury excuse last year, then the training camp hype build this year. But he’s the same guy. He’s a finesse runner in a power back body. Doesn’t finish runs, Goes down too easy. 

why is a 240# guy the 3rd down back, why is the 180# guy the goal line back?

also agree 100% on that 2pt conversion call. Play calling abysmal. The whole thing is a mess
Um, a High Ankle Sprain is not an excuse. That's a legitimate injury. I think so far this year both players have looked good. I don't see what you're seeing about Lindsay being a better interior back, though. The guy is an arm tackle waiting to happen. He's better in space because he couldn't break a tackle if his life depended on it, but he can certainly make people miss if he's got the room. Royce did the opposite of what you claim he does when he scored that TD. He looked the bit of a power back. 

This will continue to be a frustrating situation for owners of both backs, but should one get hurt, the volume will prop up the remaining player. Between the two of them, they are on a 16 game pace of 391 carries and 133 targets. In PPR, they are RB18 and RB24 in points per game despite the split. This is not a good offense, so I think those rankings are as good as anyone should have hoped for if they were being realistic. 

Um, a High Ankle Sprain is not an excuse. That's a legitimate injury. I think so far this year both players have looked good. I don't see what you're seeing about Lindsay being a better interior back, though. The guy is an arm tackle waiting to happen. He's better in space because he couldn't break a tackle if his life depended on it, but he can certainly make people miss if he's got the room. Royce did the opposite of what you claim he does when he scored that TD. He looked the bit of a power back. 

This will continue to be a frustrating situation for owners of both backs, but should one get hurt, the volume will prop up the remaining player. Between the two of them, they are on a 16 game pace of 391 carries and 133 targets. In PPR, they are RB18 and RB24 in points per game despite the split. This is not a good offense, so I think those rankings are as good as anyone should have hoped for if they were being realistic. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H45QLVNPcDk

Yeah those arm tackles really took him down on this run.

:lmao:  94 was about to tackle him until his offensive lineman (66) literally picked him up, took him from 94, and body slammed him into the end zone. Hilarious you think that somehow helps his case as a tackle breaker. 
high ankle sprain is a legitimate excuse until he’s the same guy when healthy. That TD run is just an anecdote, not proof of anything other than the coaching staff thought he was the best short yardage option there, which has been the story all season 

high ankle sprain is a legitimate excuse until he’s the same guy when healthy. That TD run is just an anecdote, not proof of anything other than the coaching staff thought he was the best short yardage option there, which has been the story all season 
His ypc dipped down to 3.6 after the injury and he sure looks better this year, so this "looks the same" doesn't really hold up. That TD "run" as you call it, was posted by someone else trying to say he was breaking tackles. You're right it is anecdotal, but it is also hilarious that it was the example that guy chose. You won't find any examples of offensive and defensive linemen fighting over Royce like two dogs and a chew toy... 

His ypc dipped down to 3.6 after the injury and he sure looks better this year, so this "looks the same" doesn't really hold up. That TD "run" as you call it, was posted by someone else trying to say he was breaking tackles. You're right it is anecdotal, but it is also hilarious that it was the example that guy chose. You won't find any examples of offensive and defensive linemen fighting over Royce like two dogs and a chew toy... 
They are both looking JAGish right now. ‘20 starter is probably in college right now

They are both looking JAGish right now. ‘20 starter is probably in college right now
They've both had up and down games, but... this is a garbage offense, they've both shown talent, and this team has a lot of other needs. I feel pretty confident the Broncos will not be drafting RB with any of their picks in the first four rounds. 

:lmao:  94 was about to tackle him until his offensive lineman (66) literally picked him up, took him from 94, and body slammed him into the end zone. Hilarious you think that somehow helps his case as a tackle breaker. 
What is hilarious is your blindness to the fact that he is an effective between the tackles runner. He has proven it over and over and over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phillip Lindsay (wrist) was limited in practice Wednesday.

This is likely precautionary, but Lindsay did have a serious wrist surgery this offseason so it's worth monitoring. The second-year back continues to split snaps and touches with Royce Freeman for the Broncos. Lindsay, however, is still on pace for 984 rushing yards and eight touchdowns, operating as an RB2 in good matchups and an RB3 in bad ones.

SOURCE: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter

Oct 30, 2019, 6:18 PM ET

Phillip Lindsay rushed nine times for 92 yards and one score in Denver's Week 9 upset over the Browns.

Nine carries may not seem like much but Lindsay got a bulk of the work considering Denver mustered 40 plays to Cleveland's 71. A whopping 70 of Lindsay's 92 total yards occurred on two carries, one being the second-year pro's 30-yard touchdown dash up the gut in the third quarter. Having now out-carried Royce Freeman (5/15) 118 to 93 through nine games, Lindsay remains the back to roster among the two when the Broncos return from their Week 10 bye against the Vikings.

Nov 3, 2019, 9:39 PM ET

He won't get more utilization barring injury.  He can't pass block effectively with his wrist injury. 

He won't get more utilization barring injury.  He can't pass block effectively with his wrist injury. 
Is this the right wrist that he injured last season?

I know he was fully healed from that. Just curious if it is the same wrist or not?

Is this the right wrist that he injured last season?

I know he was fully healed from that. Just curious if it is the same wrist or not?
I am 83.4% sure it is the other wrist.  I believe I read something this week that it was not related to his wrist injury from last year but haven't been able to find the link. 

They've both had up and down games, but... this is a garbage offense, they've both shown talent, and this team has a lot of other needs. I feel pretty confident the Broncos will not be drafting RB with any of their picks in the first four rounds. 
why? because these are two talented-enough RBs? or because there are other positional needs? or because RBs don't give reasonable return on draft value? or all three? oh, I know, you're confident because you have faith that John Elway won't make any poor personnel choices!

xrayveggin said:
why? because these are two talented-enough RBs? or because there are other positional needs? or because RBs don't give reasonable return on draft value? or all three? oh, I know, you're confident because you have faith that John Elway won't make any poor personnel choices!
Haha, fair point. I guess you can't rule anything out with Elway, but I still stand by the statement that Denver is unlikely to draft RB in the early rounds. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Phillip Lindsay will get "most of the carries" Sunday in the Broncos' Week 11 matchup with Minnesota.

Rapoport's NFL Network colleague Tom Pelissero confirms the Broncos plan to ride Lindsay "harder" beginning Sunday in Minnesota. The former UDFA has spent much of the year in a timeshare with Royce Freeman, though Lindsay has been the more productive back, averaging a crisp 4.9 yards per carry with five touchdowns. Freeman should still have some involvement, though Lindsay appears to have distanced himself in what had previously been a committee backfield.

RELATED: 

Royce Freeman

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 17, 2019, 11:50 AM ET

Touch matchup...if I knew Damien wouldn't play Id flex him...but playing both Damien and Miles Sanders over him today...so he should go off. 

YWIA

Phillip Lindsay rushed 16 times for 67 yards in the Broncos' Week 11 loss to the Vikings, adding two receptions for eight additional yards.

It was a disappointing statline on an afternoon where the Broncos raced out to a 20-0 halftime lead, especially since pre-game reports had the Broncos leaning into Lindsay as their No. 1 back. He did out-touch Royce Freeman 18-9. Lindsay was actually highly effective after the break, but the Broncos opted against full-time establishment. The ground will be where the Broncos try to exploit the Bills in Week 12, leaving Lindsay in his typical low-end RB2 position in fantasy.

Nov 17, 2019, 6:36 PM ET

Phillip Lindsay (foot, wrist) was limited in practice Wednesday.

Lindsay has been limited early in the week with a wrist injury on numerous occasions, but the second-year pro has played through his ailment. The foot injury is new, however, and worth monitoring the rest of the week, although it's still likely he plays on Sunday against the Bills. Lindsay set a new season-high for snaps (51) last week and is a candidate for 14-plus touches per game moving forward as an RB2.

SOURCE: Chris Brown on Twitter

Nov 20, 2019, 7:12 PM ET

Every time I watch Denver play......Lindsay is always the most explosive player they have. Clearly the better back and has been since day one from last season. It is not even a debate if you watch the games.  He runs tougher and with more authority than a guy who is bigger than him and his back up. It's crazy. 

I love watching this kid play. He plays hard every down. He brings it with every carry.

Phillip Lindsay rushed 17 times for 58 yards in the Broncos' Week 13 win over the Chargers, adding three receptions for four additional yards.

Lindsay continued to work as the offense’s clear-cut No. 1 RB ahead of Royce Freeman. Still, the Broncos weren’t able to consistently move the ball on the Chargers for most of the afternoon outside of when they decided to throw the ball to Courtland Sutton. Lindsay has a smashable schedule against the Texans, Chiefs and Lions in Weeks 14-16, but there’s a low floor here in the Broncos’ low-scoring offense. Treat the Broncos’ starting RB as more of a low-end RB2/upside RB3 in Houston next week.

Dec 1, 2019, 7:40 PM ET

My fear is they get behind in the Texans and Chiefs game and you see Royce out there in passing situations while they play catch up. What looked great may become useless in the playoffs.  I expected more at home today that's for sure.  Had a couple decent runs but with those stretch plays he also gets stopped for 0-2 yards a lot.  Hasn't been much room to cut back.

Phillip Lindsay rushed 16 times for 51 yards and one score, chipping in two catches for another four yards in Denver's Week 14 win over the Texans.

He also had a touchdown reception called back for a meaningless illegal block that occurred behind the play. Lindsay's now out-carried Royce Freeman (8/24) 62 to 23 in Denver's last four games as their clear No. 1 runner, even handling a majority of the team's goal line work in that stretch. Although his workload is encouraging, Lindsay's ceiling is still limited in the Broncos' (typically) low-powered offense. He'll stay a low-end RB2/3 in a juicy matchup on the road against Kansas City in Week 15.

Dec 8, 2019, 6:48 PM ET

Injuries piling up SB week.  Denver running game has been a disappointment. Lindsay getting 2-1 share over Freeman. Lindsay didn’t have snow fires in KC. Now gets Lions at home. Could blow the Lions out and get good game script. Thoughts for flex?

Injuries piling up SB week.  Denver running game has been a disappointment. Lindsay getting 2-1 share over Freeman. Lindsay didn’t have snow fires in KC. Now gets Lions at home. Could blow the Lions out and get good game script. Thoughts for flex?
My RBs are trash so I'm playing him. I think he could put up good numbers but not expecting anything earth shattering.

Phillip Lindsay cashed in with 109 yards and a touchdown on 19 carries while supplying two catches for nine yards on three targets Sunday in the Broncos’ Week 16 win over the Lions.

He paced the Broncos with 21 touches, 10 more than teammate Royce Freeman, who vultured a one-yard touchdown in the second quarter. Lindsay did find the end zone eventually, hammering the final nail in Detroit's Week 16 coffin with a 27-yard touchdown dash with 6:39 remaining. Lindsay's 109 rushing yards were his most since Week 5 when he hung 114 yards on the Chargers in a 20-13 Broncos victory. The Denver native now needs just 42 yards to ensure his second-straight 1,000-yard season, a remarkable feat for a player who went undrafted out of Colorado. Lindsay will hope to achieve that milestone when the Broncos host Oakland in next week's finale.

Over 1k yards rushing for the second straight year behind a patchwork oline.

Don't be surprised when Denver adds a rb this off-season tho. Freeman has been awful this year and Booker is Booker.

Over 1k yards rushing for the second straight year behind a patchwork oline.

Don't be surprised when Denver adds a rb this off-season tho. Freeman has been awful this year and Booker is Booker.
Just very inconsistent with what you get out of him FF wise...

Solid season considering the cluster that Denver is.  As @sho nuff said, very inconsistent.  If the offense improves as a whole next season, maybe he can fall into the endzone a few more times.  

Still finished as a solid RB2.  After back to back 1,000 yard seasons, I'll be pretty happy to get him as an RB2/Flex around the 5th next year.  It'll be interesting to see how highly the rest of the FF community values him.

Broncos GM John Elway said the team will look into a new deal for Phillip Lindsay.

Undrafted out of Colorado, the Denver native has been an instant success, clearing 1,000 yards rushing in each of his two seasons. "There were 32 dumb-dumbs that didn’t draft him an I was one of them," said Elway. "He has heart the size of his whole body." Due only $660,000 next season—the last year of his deal before hitting the market as a restricted free agent in 2021—it's time for Denver to open up its checkbook and pay Lindsay the salary he deserves.

SOURCE: Troy Renck on Twitter

Dec 30, 2019, 1:38 PM ET

As a Broncos fan, you have to love this guy, but as a FF player, it is concerning to see how he was phased out of the passing game this season: 

First eight games: 25 catches for 160 yards
Last eight games: 10 catches for 36 yards

As a Broncos fan, you have to love this guy, but as a FF player, it is concerning to see how he was phased out of the passing game this season: 

First eight games: 25 catches for 160 yards
Last eight games: 10 catches for 36 yards
First eight games:  Joe Flacco
Last eight games:  Collection of Misfits, followed by a recently-injured raw rookie

Not sure he was phased out so much as the quality of the passes available went down.

Last eight games:  Collection of Misfits, followed by a recently-injured raw rookie

Not sure he was phased out so much as the quality of the passes available went down.
Exactly. Stability at QB will be the factor for 2020. I expect them to roll with Lock in 2020. Lindsay is deadly in space. Get him the ball.....more.

Exactly. Stability at QB will be the factor for 2020. I expect them to roll with Lock in 2020. Lindsay is deadly in space. Get him the ball.....more.
Fair points.  I was surprised to see he only had 35 catches in 2018 as well; it seemed like it was a lot more.  I suspect the shaky o-line makes it hard to always let the RB loose in the passing game.  Hopefully, they can shore that up a little bit.  I am not saying Lindsay can be a Kamara or C-Mac, but he has the capability to be very productive both running and catching the ball. 

Fair points.  I was surprised to see he only had 35 catches in 2018 as well; it seemed like it was a lot more.  I suspect the shaky o-line makes it hard to always let the RB loose in the passing game.  Hopefully, they can shore that up a little bit.  I am not saying Lindsay can be a Kamara or C-Mac, but he has the capability to be very productive both running and catching the ball. 
I fully expect the Denver O to take a giant leap forward next year and their priority in FA/draft should be bolstering that o-line...if they get good o-line play, the sky is limit for this offense....this may sound bold, but I bet the Broncos have a top 10 offense by the end of next year 

NBC Denver reports Phillip Lindsay recently underwent a "clean-up arthroscopic procedure" on his right wrist.

It is Lindsay's second wrist operation in as many years after the issue cut short his rookie campaign, but he is expected to be ready for OTAs. Lindsay's wrist did not cost him game time in 2019. The 2018 UDFA is eligible for a contract extension this offseason, something GM John Elway said he would consider at his season-ending press conference. Lindsay has proven to be an excellent 1A back but will probably never be a 20-25 touch bell-cow.

SOURCE: NBC Denver

Jan 16, 2020, 5:15 PM ET

Broncos GM John Elway was noncommittal about an extension for Phillip Lindsay.

"We’ll see where everything falls after free agency, after the draft how much money we have," Elway said. "If we can do something, we’ll try." Lindsay went undrafted in 2018, making him eligible for an extension this offseason. He's under team control the next two seasons. The Broncos have put talks on hold for now but may revisit a deal closer to training camp.

SOURCE: Denver Post

Mar 2, 2020, 11:39 AM ET

Elway shouldn't screw this up. Lindsay by all accounts is a great kid and team player. He's played his butt off, and deserves a nice contract. 

I was reading somewhere that Fangio and co. are going to change blocking schemes so that Freeman might benefit. I don't have a link, so take it with a grain of salt, but the rumor was they were switching up their zone blocking or something like that, and that it would more benefit Freeman's running style than Lindsay's.

Elway shouldn't screw this up. Lindsay by all accounts is a great kid and team player. He's played his butt off, and deserves a nice contract. 
He may deserve it but it doesn’t mean it makes good business sense. Denver is not exactly a lock for the playoffs. It is tough to devote a big contract to an RB at that point (depending on what Lindsay would be asking for of course).

I was reading somewhere that Fangio and co. are going to change blocking schemes so that Freeman might benefit. I don't have a link, so take it with a grain of salt, but the rumor was they were switching up their zone blocking or something like that, and that it would more benefit Freeman's running style than Lindsay's.
Anything Freeman can do Lindsay can do better. So I'd say he'd benefit too (but I get what you are saying) 

This was said before this past season.

This was said before this past season.
Yeah, I went looking for the link and came up with articles from last year, but I swore I just saw something late last night/this morning about a tweak to even the zone scheme. I could be wrong. Take with a grain of salt until I can find something concrete. 

Users who are viewing this thread