What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Phillip Lindsay, IND (5 Viewers)

In this century, only 27 rookies have run for 1,000 yards. only two of those players (Adrian Peterson, Clinton Portis) averaged more yards per carry. 

Broncos have M. Munchak as Oline coach, he's from the Steelers, been there since 2014. They've had a DOMINANT line the past few years under him. scary to think, but Lindsay could be even MORE effective and more productive than last year.

for every can't miss guy like S. Barkley, there's a highway littered with guys like Trent Richardson. Where does Royce freeman fit? I don't think just because he was a prolific college RB that it will spill over to the NFL. It's going to be hard as heck for him to beat out Lindsay at this point.
disagree NA I think the stats are on my side.  I’m a Lindsay dyno owner but I traded for freeman this year as insurance BC I don’t think Lindsay will have the same success and I think freeman is a good back and the coaches want to get him more involved.  

Watch the tape from last year.  Lindsay ran threw gaping holes on seemingly every play.  He ran like 5 yards before any contact.  Freeman was running against stacked boxes and still excelled.  

I like Lindsay as a player.  A ton of heart and definitely electric in space.  But he’s also a small back and there’s no need to run him into the ground if they have another effective back that is bigger and built for the pounding better than him.  

I think the split this year will be much more even with freeman getting most of the red zone work.   And I would not be surprised to see freeman with the better numbers at the end of the season barring injury. 

Watch the tape from last year.  Lindsay ran threw gaping holes on seemingly every play.  He ran like 5 yards before any contact.
This is not true. He ran up the middle often and the reason he got through the line is he has elite lateral agility, great burst and surprising strength for his size. I guarantee he did not run through gaping holes on every play.

This is not true. He ran up the middle often and the reason he got through the line is he has elite lateral agility, great burst and surprising strength for his size. I guarantee he did not run through gaping holes on every play.
That's right, it became a familiar sight in Broncos games watching Lindsay bursting for multiple long gains ... while in the same game, with the same line against the same defense, Freeman would regularly be stopped for little or no gain.

Denver will be figuring out ways to get Lindsay more touches...sure they would like to see Freeman have some impact.....but when a guy has the juice like Lindsay does, you have to get him the ball in todays NFL where many games come down to being one score games....guys that can house it and change the score on any given play are going to get the rock....

disagree NA I think the stats are on my side.  I’m a Lindsay dyno owner but I traded for freeman this year as insurance BC I don’t think Lindsay will have the same success and I think freeman is a good back and the coaches want to get him more involved.  

Watch the tape from last year.  Lindsay ran threw gaping holes on seemingly every play.  He ran like 5 yards before any contact.  Freeman was running against stacked boxes and still excelled.  

I like Lindsay as a player.  A ton of heart and definitely electric in space.  But he’s also a small back and there’s no need to run him into the ground if they have another effective back that is bigger and built for the pounding better than him.  

I think the split this year will be much more even with freeman getting most of the red zone work.   And I would not be surprised to see freeman with the better numbers at the end of the season barring injury. 
Freeman did not excel.  He was ok but there was a night and day difference between the explosion, vision, and output of Lindsay and Freeman.  They were no where close to the same on the field.  Lindsay was far superior in every way........especially the eye test. 

Speaking Wednesday, coach Vic Fangio confirmed Phillip Lindsay (wrist) is "ready to go" for the start of training camp.

Fangio added, "We'll ease him in." But it sounds like Lindsay avoids the active/PUP list to open camp as the Broncos are the first team to report for camp, which happened Wednesday. Lindsay will cede some first-team reps to Royce Freeman, but Lindsay will have every opportunity to regain firm control of his lead-back duties after a stellar rookie season. Lindsay should pace this backfield in carries and remains a high-ceiling RB2.

SOURCE: Andrew Mason on Twitter

Jul 17, 2019, 2:05 PM ET

Undecided on this backfield and have  been staying away.

Lindsay is undersized and I don't believe can handle another workload like last year.(won me a few leagues last year)

Freeman is a bit of an unknown quantity.

I don't expect much from the offense in totality which is a red flag if you are hunting upside.

I've been passing as there are other players at this ADP that I'm more confident in.

You started your post with the bolded above, then proceeded to provide no stats at all.  Let me list those stats for you now:

Lindsay - 192/1037/9 (5.4 YPR) and 35/241/1 (6.9 YPC)

Freeman - 130/521/5 (4.0 YPR) and 14/72/0 (5.1 YPC)

I also like Freeman's long-term potential vs Lindsay, but the fact is, Lindsay outplayed Freeman at every turn last year.  And they didn't run Lindsay into the ground - it was a 60/40 split.  Also, these two guys play on the same team, so to say one ran vs stacked boxes and the other was allowed to run free makes no sense.  Until Freeman's high ankle sprain in game 7, these two made a great tandem.  In the first 6 games, Freeman had 58/272/3 (4.7 YPR), but was not utilized in the passing game (only 4 catches for 21 yards).  Lindsay had 61/346/1 (5.7 YPR) and was utilized in the passing game (14/113/1).  The snap count was very close between the two (Freeman at 138, Lindsay at 145).

From game 7 on was a different story.  Freeman's ankle sprain didn't do him any favors, and he tailed off (72/249/2 - 3.5 YPR).  He was invisible in the passing game (2 catches for 8 yards on 4 targets) until the final week (8/43 on 10 targets).  Heck, he had as many targets in the last game as he had all season long.  Lindsay kept chugging along (131/691/8 - 5.3 YPR).

We can only wonder how the final stats for these 2 would've turned out if not for Freeman's ankle sprain.  Is Freeman fully recovered?  Will Lindsay's wrist hamper him?  One thing is certain - when both were healthy, DEN had an excellent 1/2 punch.  Let's see how 2019 begins. 

From game 7 on was a different story.  Freeman's ankle sprain didn't do him any favors, and he tailed off (72/249/2 - 3.5 YPR).  He was invisible in the passing game (2 catches for 8 yards on 4 targets) until the final week (8/43 on 10 targets).  Heck, he had as many targets in the last game as he had all season long.  Lindsay kept chugging along (131/691/8 - 5.3 YPR).

We can only wonder how the final stats for these 2 would've turned out if not for Freeman's ankle sprain.  Is Freeman fully recovered?  Will Lindsay's wrist hamper him?  One thing is certain - when both were healthy, DEN had an excellent 1/2 punch.  Let's see how 2019 begins. 
Lindsay did not play the final week of the season.  That probably had more to do with Freeman's uptick than anything else.  I wouldn't use this as any indication that he will be more utilized in the passing game. 

Lindsay did not play the final week of the season.  That probably had more to do with Freeman's uptick than anything else.  I wouldn't use this as any indication that he will be more utilized in the passing game. 
Oh, good god no!  Was just pointing out that he doubled his total targets in the final game.

no. Freeman seems more than One Note away from a positive Outlook on his 2019. He really lacked that Power-ful Point attack. I'm trying to come up with a better Word than Excel, but I do my best thinking at the Office. 
You forgot the part about how he is poised to "crash" onto the scene, but kudos all the same.  

Phillip Lindsay was the running back on the first team rep of Denver's training camp.

This both confirmation Lindsay is back to full health, as coach Vic Fangio said on Wednesday, and he remains atop the depth chart. Of course, that could change if Royce Freeman has a strong training camp, and early indications are there will be more of a timeshare moving forward. Still, a healthy Lindsay is the favorite for work in Denver's backfield.

I think many forget when Royce went down in week 7, he had more carries (71) than Lindsay (68) at that point.  It was a true 50/50 timeshare for carries.

TheWinz said:
I think many forget when Royce went down in week 7, he had more carries (71) than Lindsay (68) at that point.  It was a true 50/50 timeshare for carries.
But it should not have been.  Lindsay was the far superior player and it showed as he got the ball more (after Freeman's injury) and continued to excel.  Lindsay is the better RB.  Now its still a question as to whether the coaching staff will utilize them accordingly. 

But it should not have been.  Lindsay was the far superior player and it showed as he got the ball more (after Freeman's injury) and continued to excel.  Lindsay is the better RB.  Now its still a question as to whether the coaching staff will utilize them accordingly. 
The question then becomes, what kind of split would maximize Lindsay's talents without overdoing it?  65/35?

The question then becomes, what kind of split would maximize Lindsay's talents without overdoing it?  65/35?
I think of it more in terms of per game touches.  I think he could handle a total of 18-22 touches a game.  15-18 carries and 3-5 receptions.  I think he can stay healthy at those numbers.  To me that would be ideal usage. 

Ideally they would dramatically increase Lindsay's role in the passing game, possibly at the expense of some carries (which could go to Freeman). The Broncos really under-utilised him in that facet of the game last year, which makes his season even more remarkable. 

Ideally they would dramatically increase Lindsay's role in the passing game, possibly at the expense of some carries (which could go to Freeman). The Broncos really under-utilised him in that facet of the game last year, which makes his season even more remarkable. 
I quite agree.  Kinda like the Kamara/Ingram split (and no, I am not trying to compare the players, just the situation).

Broncos OC Rich Scangarello compared Royce Freeman and Phillip Lindsay to Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman.

Scangarello talked about how well the two backs complement each other with Freeman showing more power and Lindsay showing more finesse. The Broncos appear set to make running back touches more evenly split in 2019 by giving Freeman more carries in short-yardage situations. Freeman should see more than the 130 carries he had last year if he stays healthy.

RELATED: 

Phillip Lindsay

SOURCE: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter

Jul 21, 2019, 2:15 PM ET

Zac Stevens @ZacStevensBSN

Scangarello said Phillip Lindsay’s has “all the things you want”

“He’s healthy. He’s fresh. He looks great. Just an outstanding player. He’s one of those different types of guys in this league that provides a unique skillset that can matchup… He’s competitive. He’s tough.”

at his ADP....he is going to find his way onto a ton of my teams.....especially if I pull the trigger early on a TE

Theo Riddick signed by the Broncos. 

Riddick cant do anything really except catch passes... something Lindsay owners have hoped for Lindsay.

and then this news comes out.

4. #Broncos are feeling really good about RB Royce Freeman right now. To the point that they are hoping to finally establish the true split-touch situation that they envisioned between Freeman and Phillip Lindsay last season. They feel like that plan is fully on track for 2019.
are you wishing you sold high?

Last edited by a moderator:
Theo Riddick signed by the Broncos. 

Riddick cant do anything really except catch passes... something Lindsay owners have hoped for Lindsay.

and then this news comes out.

are you wishing you sold high?
Well I managed to sell high on all but one share. I actually still like him and the only reason I sold was because there was a strong market and I feel I made out on the deal(s). Otherwise I think he is the cream of that backfield and I really like his game. But his floor is a bit low with the split there and he really didn't catch a ton of passes last year. Riddick doesn't help that. So I guess I'd say I'm glad I sold high. But if they are smart they would use him as a primary weapon. I'm a little surprised at the Riddick signing TBH.

Disagree with the last 2 posts. The hope for Lindsay owners (myself included in a keeper league) was that he could take over the Booker passing down role and really elevate his reception totals. That’s not happening now as that will be Riddick’s role.

barackdhouse said:
Well I managed to sell high on all but one share. I actually still like him and the only reason I sold was because there was a strong market and I feel I made out on the deal(s). Otherwise I think he is the cream of that backfield and I really like his game. But his floor is a bit low with the split there and he really didn't catch a ton of passes last year. Riddick doesn't help that. So I guess I'd say I'm glad I sold high. But if they are smart they would use him as a primary weapon. I'm a little surprised at the Riddick signing TBH.
What did you sell him for, out of curiosity?

What did you sell him for, out of curiosity?
I think I moved 3 shares of him. I'll have to look to remember the other 2 but the one that comes to mind, from shortly after the SB, was Lindsay, Woods and 1.08 for Evans and the 2.04. 1.10 ended up being Parris Campbell and I took Butler at 2.04. I'll look for the other ones. 

I think I moved 3 shares of him. I'll have to look to remember the other 2 but the one that comes to mind, from shortly after the SB, was Lindsay, Woods and 1.08 for Evans and the 2.04. 1.10 ended up being Parris Campbell and I took Butler at 2.04. I'll look for the other ones. 
I moved Lindsay for a 2020 1st and 3rd (the other guys best player is now Lindsay - really bad team).

Other move was Carson, Penny, Lindsay and 2.11 for 1.01 (took Jacobs), Hunt and Trequan Smith. 

Lindsay struggled with pass protection and receiving last year (PFF grades of 63.1 in both).  These are important traits for a running back when paired with Flacco.  Flacco's extreme lack of mobility and injury-proneness makes him the quarterback most in need of quality pass protection in the league.  And Flacco throws to his running backs as much as any quarterback.  His running backs had 127 receptions in 2015 and 118 receptions in 2016.  The Broncos are probably hoping that Lindsay improves at pass protection and receiving.  If he doesn't, Riddick could take a fair chunk of his snaps away.

Phillip Lindsay rushed 11 times for 43 yards and caught 4-of-6 targets for 23 yards in Week 1 against the Raiders.

Lindsay struggled in this one, getting held to 14 yards in the first half. He had a lot of negative plays — his longest run of the night was only nine yards. Lindsay looked to be in a true timeshare with Royce Freeman, who was more effective on fewer touches. He's an RB3 fade for a Week 2 matchup with Chicago.

Sep 10, 2019, 1:27 AM ET

Lindsay manages 4.3 YPC in a really bad game for him.  Was bottled up quite a bit, also had some nice moves for extra yardage in tight spaces. He's a fantasy buy, imo.

Lindsay manages 4.3 YPC in a really bad game for him.  Was bottled up quite a bit, also had some nice moves for extra yardage in tight spaces. He's a fantasy buy, imo.
By far the most explosive player on that offense.  He does not need more than 15-17 touches to be a very effective RB in PPR.

Phillip Lindsay went for 36 yards on 13 carries while turning seven targets into four catches for 30 yards Sunday in the Broncos’ Week 2 loss to Chicago.

The second-year back showed occasional signs of life including a 19-yard burst in the second quarter (that came off a well-designed screen by Joe Flacco), but otherwise his contributions paled in comparison to Royce Freeman, who dwarfed Lindsay's output by delivering 102 yards from scrimmage (54 rushing, 48 receiving). Running into the teeth of a daunting Bears defense is not an enviable task, though on Sunday, Freeman showed more proficiency than Lindsay in that regard. This backfield should continue to be a near-even split, which makes both players difficult to employ in fantasy. Lindsay and the Broncos will pack their bags for Lambeau Field, where the Packers await them in Week 3.

Sep 15, 2019, 8:55 PM ET

Freeman looked good today.  Patient and found lanes consistently.  Also had a long play called back.  This may be a true 50/50 going forward IMO -- both rushing and passing.

Phillip Lindsay rushed 21 times for 81 yards and two touchdowns in the Broncos' Week 3 loss to the Packers.

The Broncos were establishing the run in the second half despite trailing the Packers the entire game. It was a galaxy brain by the coaching staff, but it really helped Lindsay's stat line. Royce Freeman also was in and out of the game with a shoulder injury, which gave Lindsay goal-line opportunities that led two short-yardage touchdowns. Lindsay also caught 4-of-5 targets for 49 yards. If Freeman continues to play through an injury, Lindsay may see more touches than he did in the first two games. Lindsay faces the Jaguars at home next week.

Sep 22, 2019, 4:40 PM ET

Galaxy brain?  Even though they were trailing...the run game was working.  Not sure why they would have gotten away from it since they were not down a ton.

He looked good yesterday breaking tackles and Freeman a bit banged up.

Phillip Lindsay raced to 70 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries while notching two grabs for five yards on three targets Sunday in the Broncos’ Week 6 win over Tennessee.

Lindsay was bottled up for the most part, though he did break off a 30-yard run, putting Denver in field-goal range with 7:12 to go in the fourth quarter. The former Colorado Buffalo rewarded fantasy owners with his fourth touchdown in as many games, punching in a two-yarder to give the Broncos a two-score advantage in the third quarter. Lindsay and backfield Royce Freeman have been operating in a near 50-50 split (he out-touched Freeman by a narrow 17-16 margin on Sunday), though Lindsay has emerged as the better fantasy bet, in large part due to his scoring prowess. The sophomore stud will be back at it Thursday night against Kansas City as the surging Broncos seek their third straight victory.
I keep checking snap counts and it's right down the line with both backs producing.

Phillip Lindsay rushed 11 times for 36 yards in the Broncos' Week 7 loss to the Chiefs.

Lindsay "added" a -4 yard reception for his only catch. It was a fourth quarter Joe Flacco hospital ball that Lindsay was not happy about. Flacco was the story, as his staggering ineptitude allowed the Chiefs to tee off on the box at will, torpedoing the passing and running games alike. Lindsay could also only watch as Royce Freeman received the Broncos' lone goal-line carry of the evening, cashing it in for a one-yard touchdown in the second quarter. Lindsay entered the evening with seven carries inside the five to Freeman's zero, so it is unlikely there has been a changing of the guard in that department. Although Flacco is becoming a bigger and bigger liability, Lindsay will remain a usage-based RB2 for Week 8 against the Colts.

Makes no sense at all. The dynamic guy in space gets no targets. Freeman runs as soft as marshmallow. Don’t understand the appeal, another combine workout warrior who doesn’t translate on the field 

Makes no sense at all. The dynamic guy in space gets no targets. Freeman runs as soft as marshmallow. Don’t understand the appeal, another combine workout warrior who doesn’t translate on the field 
What made no sense was giving the little guy that 2 point conversion from the 1 yard line. At least pitch it to him or something. Don't make him run it up the gut. Either use Royce for that or call a different play. That was the most predictable outcome. And the play right before that, Royce powered it in from the one yard line. Not sure where you are getting this "soft as a marshmallow" idea from.

What made no sense was giving the little guy that 2 point conversion from the 1 yard line. At least pitch it to him or something. Don't make him run it up the gut. Either use Royce for that or call a different play. That was the most predictable outcome. And the play right before that, Royce powered it in from the one yard line. Not sure where you are getting this "soft as a marshmallow" idea from.
From watching him. Enticed by the measurables and using some basic logic that the high draft pedigree guy who goes 5’11 240 will be the future volume back, and the UDFA who is 5’nothing 180 would be relegated to COP.  

Lindsay is a better interior runner, more explosive outside and a better pass catcher. It didn’t make a lot of sense. Cognitive dissonance takes hold and we use mental strategies to give us peace. First, it was the leg injury excuse last year, then the training camp hype build this year. But he’s the same guy. He’s a finesse runner in a power back body. Doesn’t finish runs, Goes down too easy. 

why is a 240# guy the 3rd down back, why is the 180# guy the goal line back?

also agree 100% on that 2pt conversion call. Play calling abysmal. The whole thing is a mess

Users who are viewing this thread