What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Phillip Lindsay, IND (1 Viewer)

Really? So you're worried about 2 old RBs in Ingram and DJ that are nearly broken down? I think its a fine spot for him. Watch him take over as the starter by week 5.  :pickle:
I don't know if I have your enthusiasm,  but I agree that Ingram and DJ are not so entrenched.  I mean they gave Lindsay more money.  Not a lot more,  but enough that should tell us the pecking order. 

Really? So you're worried about 2 old RBs in Ingram and DJ that are nearly broken down? I think its a fine spot for him. Watch him take over as the starter by week 5.  :pickle:
Dude. They might simultaneously have the worst OL, QB and WR situation in the league to go along with the least draft capital. It’s amazing how bad they are. 

Edgar said:
Dude. They might simultaneously have the worst OL, QB and WR situation in the league to go along with the least draft capital. It’s amazing how bad they are. 
You think Sutton, Jeudy, and Fant as one of the worst receiving groups in the league?? Seriously?!? Look I get the QB issue and the line too, but they have legit weapons in the passing game. 

You think Sutton, Jeudy, and Fant as one of the worst receiving groups in the league?? Seriously?!? Look I get the QB issue and the line too, but they have legit weapons in the passing game. 
I’m talking about the Texans being the worst at everything. That’s why Lindsay signing with a horrible, awful offense isn’t great for his fantasy owners. Negative game scripts with a terrible defense too

Nice write up on Lindsay in Peter King's FMIA: 

Running back Phillip Lindsay is the most underappreciated skill player in recent NFL history.

The Broncos, in rescinding Lindsay’s right-of-first-refusal tender with the team and allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent, essentially chose Melvin Gordon over him to lead the Broncos’ backfield. Why? It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, but I don’t think the Broncos ever appreciated what they had in Lindsay. An undrafted free agent from Colorado in 2018, Lindsay become the first undrafted back in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons. Comparing his rushing production in his three Denver seasons versus Gordon’s (Chargers 2018-’19; Broncos ’20), and comparing their income earned in those three years:

G    Att.  Yards    Yds/Rush   Rush TD     Earnings 18-20     Annual Avg $

Lindsay   42  534    2550       4.8            17              $1,808,000           $603,000

Gordon   39  552     2483      4.5            27              $15,506,000          $5,169,000

Lindsay will be one year younger (27) on opening day than Gordon.

Last week, Lindsay signed a one-year, $3.25-million contract with the Texans. Assuming he plays the season in Houston, he’ll make almost twice as much in one season as he made in three years with Denver.
Hope the formatting works...  

Johnson, last year's starter, is expected to fill a different role, similar to Duke Johnson's in 2020, with Lindsay as the starter.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31997263/nfl-training-camp-updates-position-battles-watch-all-32-teams-including-qbs-denver-new-orleans-new-england#HOU

Interesting wrinkle that I, as a Texans fan, had not yet heard about coming out of camp. So much attention has been paid to the Watson situation that the RB room noise other than "it's crowded" has been the degree of where it stopped. Barshop is as connected as any of the name-known Texans reporters so it is an interesting development if so.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31997263/nfl-training-camp-updates-position-battles-watch-all-32-teams-including-qbs-denver-new-orleans-new-england#HOU

Interesting wrinkle that I, as a Texans fan, had not yet heard about coming out of camp. So much attention has been paid to the Watson situation that the RB room noise other than "it's crowded" has been the degree of where it stopped. Barshop is as connected as any of the name-known Texans reporters so it is an interesting development if so.
Whoa, that kind of came out of nowhere. I have Lindsey in a couple of leagues so I'm hoping it's true, but I won't hold my breath.

Yeah, that note that he's ahead of David Johnson is the first we've heard, but then again all the focus has been on Watson and not the running game. 

Despite the dumpster fire, there still could be value with Lindsay considering the ambiguous backfield and him being drafted late. I really want no part of David Johnson any more though.  

Still holding in Dynasty.....could be a benefactor of volume on a team playing catch up as I fully expect him to be utilized in the passing game this season. He was a very good receiving back in college. So Denvers refusal to use him in that regard was mind boggling. You want this kid in space and getting to the second level. It is where he shines.

Texans first depth chart lists Lindsay and Ingram as co-starters fwiw, backing up the notion that he might be considered "the starter."

Knowing Culley came from Baltimore it doesn't surprise me to see two RB starters and likely an emphasis on the running game given the mess that the QB room has going. The fantasy fear is "hot hand" starters between Lindsay, Ingram, and Johnson. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Texans-depth-chart-Deshaun-Watson-fourth-string-16380492.php

BobbyLayne said:
I've never understood why he was never utilized in the passing game more. Was a good receiver in college with 117 receptions (season high 53.)

Probably because he was such a liability in pass protection. 

with the way that Desean Watson plays football and lack thereof of a defense in Houston, it bears to mind there could be a lot of catchup, garbage time, etc.

Do you have breaking news you'd like to share with the rest of us?

ETA Then again, might be a different Deshaun than I'm thinking of....

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Week 1 fantasy football questions and answers: 32 reporters give advice on Julio Jones, Ravens running backs, more

Excerpt:

Who leads this backfield in touches this week (and this season)?

Phillip Lindsay. Lindsay is the Texans' starter, and barring injury, that should be the case all season -- unless the Texans are trailing by two scores in the second half, in which case David Johnson would see more snaps than usual in passing situations. Coach David Culley said the Texans would take a "running back by committee" approach with their room of veteran backs, but did acknowledge that how often each back is used will be dependent on the flow of the game. Although Houston is carrying five backs (Lindsay, David Johnson, Mark Ingram II, Rex Burkhead and Scottie Phillips) on its 53-man roster, it's not hard to see a scenario where Lindsay runs away with the job. -- Sarah Barshop

Phillip Lindsay rushed eight times for 25 yards and a touchdown in Week 1 against the Jaguars.

Lindsay was the No. 2 back through the Texans' rotation, playing 28% of snaps. He worked ahead of David Johnson, who finished with six touches. Lindsay dropped a red-zone pass in the first quarter but later scored on a wildcat handoff from Mark Ingram. This was a solid Texans debut from Lindsay, but he should remain on fantasy benches for a Week 2 matchup with Browns.

Phillip Lindsay rushed seven times for 39 yards in Houston's Week 6 loss to Indianapolis, adding two catches for 15 yards. 

Lindsay achieved a season-best 35-yard run deep in garbage time as David Culley established the run with gusto. His other six carries yielded four runs, which is about par for the course. He remains valueless in fantasy without a Mark Ingram injury.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Probably not but picked him up off waivers.

I still don't really know why other than Ingram's gone, hope Tyrod can keep them in games and being really really desperate at RB.
i am guessing he will be first in line for carries and maybe tyrod’s return keeps the offense respectable. For the price of free I’ll see how it shakes out

Trying to trade for DJ but I picked up PL for free as well. Looking at that Week 14 Byeocolypse II and hopefully he can help me.

May grab him for next week @MIA. Need bye week help.

Think T. Taylor is going to turn this thing around a bit (assuming HOU doesn't trade away every important piece of the offense).

Texans waived Phillip Lindsay. 

The writing was on the wall after Lindsay saw a mere three rushes in the Texans' Week 11 win over the Titans. Houston ran the ball 32 times and Lindsay was hardly involved. His forgettable half season with the Texans included 50 rushing attempts for 130 yards (2.6 yards per carry) and one touchdown. Rex Burkhead is the Texans' nominal RB1 while David Johnson handles some pass-catching duties. The Ravens' extremely washed backfield could benefit from a Lindsay addition. 

RELATED: 

David Johnson

, Rex Burkhead

, Houston Texans

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Odd as he seems to have talent that someone could put to use.  He isn't a full on feature back...but definitely should have a roll somewhere.

If Aaron Jones' knee isn't responding...Id actually hope Green Bay would take a look to compliment Dillon.

Things sure change quickly - just a few years ago, he seemed like one of the brighter young talents at the RB spot. Undersized, but was effective and ran with aggression. The Broncos clearly seemed to see something we didn't by letting him go and here we are.

Things sure change quickly - just a few years ago, he seemed like one of the brighter young talents at the RB spot. Undersized, but was effective and ran with aggression. The Broncos clearly seemed to see something we didn't by letting him go and here we are.
Yeah....he was fun as heck to watch his first two years in Denver.....something happened. The injuries maybe caught up to him....I don’t really know because he was hardly used at all in Houston. 

Oh well. It happens all the time at the RB position. 

I grabbed this am.  Will hold through Saturday / Sunday and see if anything happens.

Does anybody think he won’t end up somewhere?

Claimed by Dolphins. 
NBC Sports Edge take:

Dolphins claimed Phillip Lindsay off waivers. 

This is a great landing spot for Lindsay. Myles Gaskin has struggled to get anything going on the ground all season, and Duke Johnson just served as the No. 2 running back a day after being promoted from the practice squad. All of that said, it is a concern that Lindsay was not able to command more touches in Houston's backfield before they ultimately waived him earlier this week. Lindsay is at best a speculative add in deep leagues, but his role is worth monitoring. 

RELATED: 

Myles Gaskin

, Duke Johnson

SOURCE: Mike McCartney on Twitter

Pretty meh.  

Was hoping he’s go to the Ravens or Titans.  Though the Dolphins definitely isn’t the toughest road to touches

Pretty meh.  

Was hoping he’s go to the Ravens or Titans.  Though the Dolphins definitely isn’t the toughest road to touches
Three similar RBs makes for yet another useless backfield for FF. I was actually hoping the Chiefs would take a shot. Get him in space and add an explosive element to their backfield.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this was a pretty good landing spot.  All the Miami RBs stink and it's a short path to the head of the line.  Provided he's healthy and in shape - i expect him to have most touches within 3 games.

I think this was a pretty good landing spot.  All the Miami RBs stink and it's a short path to the head of the line.  Provided he's healthy and in shape - i expect him to have most touches within 3 games.

His skillset also seems to fit what they want to do there.

Phillip Lindsay rushed 12 times for 42 yards in the Dolphins' Week 12 win over the Panthers.

Lindsay was the Dolphins' clear-cut No. 2 back to Myles Gaskin, who rushed 16 times for 49 yards and a pair of touchdowns before taking most of the final minutes off, allowing Lindsay to rack up clock-killing carries. This is still Gaskin's backfield, but Lindsay is someone who seems likely to be involved over the final five weeks after being claimed off waivers. He's not yet worth adding in fantasy.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Colts signed RB Phillip Lindsay, formerly of the Dolphins, to a one-year contract.

Lindsay will likely fill the Marlon Mack role last year behind Jonathan Taylor and Nyheim Hines. He won't have any fantasy relevance without injuries ahead of him on the depth chart. Lindsay had a disastrous 2021 season with just 28 yards per carry split between Houston and Miami, but made the Pro Bowl in 2018 and was a good committee back in Denver in 2020. 

SOURCE: Mike McCartney on Twitter

May 17, 2022, 2:13 PM ET

First UDFA rookie to... something, I forget. Run for 1000?

The problem with UDFAs often is they can't leave their team and get the same amount of practice time and work in a game.

They are a starter or key backup so they get lots of reps and plenty of game time. The NFL fraternity turns almost snobbish and when the UDFA joins a new team it's like they went back in time and suddenly have to beg for practice time and show they belong etc.

It frustrates me to no end. Like many, I love the underdog and love the stories of them succeeding in camp and then in games and pfffff they become free agents and are pretty much done.

Lindsay has been at that point and he didn't make it any better going to a team with backs in established roles.

Colts elevated RB Phillip Lindsay from the practice squad.​

This was a long-anticipated move after Jonathan Taylor (ankle) was ruled out for Thursday's game against the Broncos. Lindsay gets a fun revenge game narrative against his former team but will be suiting up for a Colts team that ranks last in points per game (14.3). He has a chance to lead the Colts backfield in rush attempts this week, but Nyheim Hines could be in line for a bigger role in the passing game. Lindsay will be hard to trust this week but could be worth a speculative stash. Likely reverting back to the practice squad after tonight's game, another team could sign him to its 53-man roster if he impresses on Thursday night.
Oct 6, 2022, 10:28 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread