What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rachaad White, TB (1 Viewer)

This guy is getting way over drafted.  It's super unlikely he's the bucs starter this year. It's doubtful he's startable a a ppr back, considering that gio was worthless.  He's not the touchdown guy without an injury to fournette.  Whenever he does get a chance, the team will be in near total rebuild between looking for a quarterback, having free agents want out and paying dead cap for their existing veterans. And that's if they don't bring in someone.  

When buffalo drafted cook it was because they wanted a pass catching complement.  When Houston and Atlanta drafted Pierce and Allgeier it was because they wanted a warm body and maybe a diamond in the rough.  When Seattle originally drafted Penny,  and now KW3, they did it to build out their rb room, get competition, and run it a ton.  Tampa is none of these things.  He's depth for a team that wants to win a title this year. And people are drafting him top of the second or even in the first? 

I took him at RB46 in the 13th round in my first FFPC best ball.    

He isn't exactly cheap.
That's right at his current FFPC Best Ball ADP which is RB45 at pick 140. He could be a decent best ball Zero (or Hero) RB strategy guy, just a lot of bust potential there for this year, which is a bit easier to absorb in best ball.

He's definitely on my list of targets for my best ball drafts for the type of back that can win it for you, and there's not a lot in that ADP range that screams better value (Hines and Henderson are in the same range)

Really good chance they become a more run heavy team in 2023 with Bowles the HC and Brady likely gone.  The downfield passing game of Arians will likely be a thing of the past, and a RB who can be a weapon out of the backfield like White is extremely valuable.

That's right at his current FFPC Best Ball ADP which is RB45 at pick 140. He could be a decent best ball Zero (or Hero) RB strategy guy, just a lot of bust potential there for this year, which is a bit easier to absorb in best ball.

He's definitely on my list of targets for my best ball drafts for the type of back that can win it for you, and there's not a lot in that ADP range that screams better value (Hines and Henderson are in the same range)

My exact thoughts.

He has a dead cap hit of over $5M in 2023.  He may not be interested in playing for the Bucs at that point, but based on the $$ he'd still be the guy.
Conversely the dead cap hit be as low as $3.5M if given a June 1 post designation cut and they can save $5m in actual cap savings.

Money spent is a sunk cost. If they want to keep him another year he'll cost them $5M. When he was cut by the Jags he did not get $5M on a one year deal. After he helped TB win a SB he still could not fetch a $5M deal. He finally beat that amount this past off-season. Will he be worth $5M next year at age 28 in a likely rebuild? I have my doubts. And if they could find a trade partner it's probably  no brainer as they'd save another $2M in cap and dead hits.

My exact thoughts.
When you say a league winner are you saying if fournette gets hurt, or even if he is healthy? 

When you say a league winner are you saying if fournette gets hurt, or even if he is healthy? 
Could be either really, but more likely if Fournette gets hurt for obvious reasons. If Fournette is healthy, but White carves out say a 20% rush share and a decent passing game usage as the season goes on, then in those weeks that he scores or has higher usage, he slots it nicely as a starter.

But, just to reiterate, @TripItUp and I are specifically talking about Best Ball leagues, and more specifically FFPC where your starting lineup is 2RB, 2 WR, 1 TE and 2 Flex. White (and the other RBs of his type, the boom/bust receiving backs in particular) have good value as you can get them relatively late and you don't have to guess at which week to put them in your starting lineup.  In years past in this format, hitting on guys like White, Hines, etc. have paid huge dividends, especially when employing the zero/hero RB strategy in these leagues.

If we were talking about a regular redraft league where you submit a lineup each week, then White's value drops quite a bit, as then he most likely only has value if Fournette gets hurt as he would be too streaky and unreliable to safely start in any given week.

Long story short I think White holds enormous value right now. Lot of it based on nothing more than potential (rookie fever), but for a late round handcuff who would likely get a lot of work if something happened to the incumbent, he is as good as they get ATM. And I think as the #2 he may get more run that people think. 
Absolutely agree! I think I read somewhere they wanted to find a way to reduce Lenny's workload down the stretch so it absolutely makes sense for White to be a player late in the season that will be beneficial for a fantasy playoff run.

I got him at 2.05 (Pick 21) in a 16 team IDP league and stashed him on my Rookie Taxi squad for just this reason. If he isn't as involved at first no biggie and if not late then he can stay on the Taxi and not absorb a roster spot. I like what I keep reading about him long term too!  

Kent Lee Platte @MathBomb

Rachaad White is a RB prospect in the 2022 draft class. He scored an unofficial 9.8 RAS at the Combine out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 32 out of 1519 RB from 1987 to 2022. ras.football/ras-informatio… #RAS via @Mathbomb
“My expectation, my goal is I’m going in there competing,” White said. “I want to be the starting running back. That’s how it go. I know I got Lenny in front of me. And you know I’m going to soak up a lot of knowledge from Lenny in that running backs room. and Giovani Bernard. That’s just the type of guy I am. You know, I’m always a competitor first.”

White certainly has the skill set to become a full-time, featured back in the NFL, though Fournette certainly has a firm hold on that job in Tampa Bay, having just signed a new three-year contract extension earlier in the offeseason...

...At 6’2″, 210 pounds, Rachaad White is one of the best-kept secrets of 2022 dynasty rookie drafts.

---------------------------------------------------------

...Fournette and Jones started out in a time-shared, literally trading starts in the preseason and into the first two weeks of the regular season, but it didn't take long for Fournette to establish himself as the lead back...

---------------------------------------------------------

PFF Fantasy Football@PFF_Fantasy

Fournette weighed 228 last season

----------------------------------------

Bucs' Offseason Outlook: Running Backs

...The Bucs' three-down back, Leonard Fournette, re-signed for $7 million a year and will be the club's incumbent starter. Ronald Jones II signed with the Chiefs via free agency, creating opportunity for another playmaker to materialize on the field. Third-round pick Rachaad White...

Leonard Fournette Struggling: Is Rachaad White a Fantasy Football Sleeper? (2022)

...Leonard Fournette made his first appearance in the off-season and seemed to be a little heavy and struggled some in the heat, dropping a few passes. 

...Despite inking Leonard Fournette to a new three-year deal, resigning Giovani Bernard, and still having incumbent Ke’Shawn Vaughn on the roster, the team spent a third-round draft pick on Rachaad White. White followed up his final season at Arizona State, where he racked up 3.38 yards after contact per attempt and 2.25 yards per route run (ninth, minimum 20 targets per PFF) by blowing up the combine. White finished with an 84th percentile speed score and 87th percentile burst score. This looks like a crowded backfield on paper, but the team has shown the willingness to utilize one back as a do-it-all rusher and receiver. This would leave White as the Uncle Len backup plan with workhorse upside if the injury bug bit Fournette.

------------------------------

Buccaneers' Rachaad White: Could make sizable rookie impact

...With Ronald Jones now in Kansas City and Giovani Bernard primarily suited for a pass-catching/third-down role, White's primary competition for any complementary early-down reps appears to be Ke'Shawn Vaughn, who's yet to establish himself after being taken in the third round in his own right in 2020. White's pass-catching chops also could be a significant factor in earning snaps, with running backs coach Todd McNair noting the rookie's range and catch radius are particularly impressive.

Could Rachaad White be a fantasy sleeper?

...Rachaad White's explosive. He can catch passes. If anything happens to Leonard Fournette-- again,...

...if Leonard Fournette stays healthy for the entire season, we probably never hear anything from Rachaad White. But just in case,...

...take a Rachaad White just on the off chance something happens to old Leonard Fournette. I think he would be the direct backup, from an early down perspective, and might even have some pass catching juice to offer, ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmnnn.

Interesting development with an older Fournette packing on significant lbs. and reports of him struggling.

High RAS score for Rachaad.  Good size, speed, explosive, can catch.

Hmmmnnn.

I'm following this situation.

Hmmmnnn.

Interesting development with an older Fournette packing on significant lbs. and reports of him struggling.

High RAS score for Rachaad.  Good size, speed, explosive, can catch.

Hmmmnnn.

I'm following this situation.
News dropping like this at this time of year always feels like having a tailwind while you're watching the foursome in-front of you tee off.

I read that one of his weaknesses in his draft profile is "too inconsistent to be trusted with protection duties". Unless he can clean that up I don't see how he gets that much PT year 1 with Brady. I like the concept of Rachaad White, and is probably a good dynasty pick, but his ADP in redraft leagues seems really high. I guess if Gio get's cut it would be positive news that White is ready.

TripItUp said:
care to revise this opinion?
Not much really.  Predicting something unlikely isn't good process.  If Fournette is really so fat he can't play then congratulations on your post where you guessed that would happen.  It's about the same as projecting injury.  I suspect fournette is still the starter, though, and if i had White i would be waiting for offers to roll in.  

Not much really.  Predicting something unlikely isn't good process.  If Fournette is really so fat he can't play then congratulations on your post where you guessed that would happen.  It's about the same as projecting injury.  I suspect fournette is still the starter, though, and if i had White i would be waiting for offers to roll in.  
:blackdot:

I had a similar discussion about jeremy hill his rookie year.  I said he was a frustrating, touchdown dependent player whose value was mostly as a backup rb if gio went down.  Someone who might have one good year if he's lucky.  I got slammed by everyone in that thread who told me how talented he was. 

Hill started out as a frustrating, td only player.  Then Gio got hurt and hill had his monster rookie season. And boy did everyone quote me and tell me that he was a locked in first round pick for the next decade. 

You can't control the outcome, just the process.  If I'm drafting now id take white earlier than a month ago but not much.  He's got more of a path, but still a major hurdle.  Brady is still getting close to retiring and they don't want a rookie blocking for him.  That's all the same as it was before. 

I'm sure you're excited about your player but an offseason report about something that fournette did, which you didn't predict, isn't evidence of your good process or my bad process.  Why are you calling me out about it?

I'm sure you're excited about your player but an offseason report about something that fournette did, which you didn't predict, isn't evidence of your good process or my bad process.  Why are you calling me out about it?

Not "my player" at all, I just find your position on White interesting.  I know you're a smart guy, so it's just interesting to me that you are holding firm here.  I like hearing the rationale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lenny responds with a warning.

Leonard Fournette Sends Warning: NFL World Reacts

...On Tuesday, Fournette fired off a warning for his doubters and naysayers on Twitter. 

"They wouldn’t have the same energy in your face so why entertain them…… See y’all September 11," Fournette tweeted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They gave him a 3-year contract.  Not sure how it was structured.

May not be this year but Rachaad White still is an interesting dynasty RB IMHO.

I know people don't want to hear this, but White could park Fournette on the bench later in the season.

edit:  Not a White owner anywhere.

I know people don't want to hear this, but White could park Fournette on the bench later in the season.

He could also not. White is a moderately productive running back from the PAC-10. Lenny will most likely be ready to roll come week one and is a Brady favorite. I know people are getting some David Johnson vibes from White but I would doubt we see White parking anyone on the bench for this Super Bowl contending team with exception to himself. Even if Lenny were to go down I would imagine a FA would be called upon before White is RB1. Maybe he matures into that type of player as he has some physical attributes, but I don’t see it happening this season.

non-zero chance, but not much higher than that.  If they’re starting White, it’s because Fournette is on IR.

Or because Fournette weighs 346 lbs and they move him to OT. Also a non-zero chance, technically speaking.  

non-zero chance, but not much higher than that.  If they’re starting White, it’s because Fournette is on IR.

Or because Fournette weighs 346 lbs and they move him to OT. Also a non-zero chance, technically speaking.  

So what do you think the chances of Fournette missing multiple games this year is?  Close to non-zero?

So what do you think the chances of Fournette missing multiple games this year is?  Close to non-zero?

Very likely, but I'd expect Ke'Shawn Vaughn to carry the load in that instance. Arians saw what he had in him last year and complimented his play. I think White is more of a developmental player in a tough situation this year. 

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but I don't see really any path for White to get significant touches. Unless he wows at camp and in his first moments with Brady during the season. He'd have to be a heck of an advanced pass blocker to see the field. 

Very likely, but I'd expect Ke'Shawn Vaughn to carry the load in that instance. Arians saw what he had in him last year and complimented his play. I think White is more of a developmental player in a tough situation this year. 

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but I don't see really any path for White to get significant touches. Unless he wows at camp and in his first moments with Brady during the season. He'd have to be a heck of an advanced pass blocker to see the field. 

I see White as twice the talent that Vaughn is.  I also see Fournette as an above average injury risk.

Ultimately I think the chances of White getting substantial playing time(particularly in the second half of the season,)are  significantly higher than "close to non-zero".

I see White as twice the talent that Vaughn is.  I also see Fournette as an above average injury risk.

Ultimately I think the chances of White getting substantial playing time(particularly in the second half of the season,)are  significantly higher than "close to non-zero".
Huh. I'm not exactly sure who you're quoting with the "close to non-zero" thing, but that definitely isn't what I said and unless I missed it, nobody did on this page. (I don't care for that phrase, truth be told.)

I have really no opinion on the Vaughn/White matter, because I'm not a film grinder or stat expert. I can only watch what's provided for me without subscription to one of the pay sites that compiles video. So this year, I've gone off of highlights, really, and while Vaughn didn't impress me enough to ever pursue him, he looked fine last year in the pros. Don't forget, Vaughn played in the SEC whereas White was in the Pac-12. Big difference when looking at film. 

All I know is Matt Waldman really didn't like White as a between-the-tackles guy, and actually posted a Twitter gif of a young boy running away from something with the caption something like "Rachaad White when he sees a linebacker filling the gap." It wasn't a positive assessment, that's for sure.

Then again, TB drafted White at the end of the third, so that means something. It's not like they waited until the fourth or fifth. But take into consideration that I don't think they'd signed Fournette yet, too, and you can see why they might have made drafting him a priority. 

So it's really up in the air. I see a depth chart there and know that Brady is awfully tough on his running backs and slot guys and likes them to have a ton of experience in pass blocking and sitting down in zones so that he has an outlet without getting hit. If one is banking on White, one is banking on him picking things up really quickly. 

Might happen. I'd bet against it. 

Huh. I'm not exactly sure who you're quoting with the "close to non-zero" thing, but that definitely isn't what I said and unless I missed it, nobody did on this page. (I don't care for that phrase, truth be told.)

I have really no opinion on the Vaughn/White matter, because I'm not a film grinder or stat expert. I can only watch what's provided for me without subscription to one of the pay sites that compiles video. So this year, I've gone off of highlights, really, and while Vaughan didn't impress me enough to ever pursue him, he looked fine last year in the pros. Don't forget, Vaughn played in the SEC whereas White was in the Pac-12. Big difference when looking at film. 

All I know is Matt Waldman really didn't like White as a between-the-tackles guy, and actually posted a Twitter gif of a young boy running away from something with the caption something like "Rachaad White when he sees a linebacker filling the gap." It wasn't a positive assessment, that's for sure.

Then again, TB drafted White at the end of the third, so that means something. It's not like they waited until the fourth or fifth. But take into consideration that I don't think they'd signed Fournette yet, too, and you can see why they might have made drafting him a priority. 

So it's really up in the air. I see a depth chart there and know that Brady is awfully tough on his running backs and slot guys and likes them to have a ton of experience in pass blocking and sitting down in zones so that he has an outlet without getting hit. If one is banking on White, one is banking on him picking things up really quickly. 

Might happen. I'd bet against it. 
He seems to be trolling me with that, as I said the chance of White starting wasn’t much better than non-zero (e.g. slim) in my response to @JohnnyU

it’s just one of those ways people at FBG can be so endearing, I guess. Probably best to ignore it.  :shrug:  

The funny thing about all this White talk is that it only started when rotowrong posted their “fat Lenny” update, and at the summary said something about how owners shouldn’t sleep on White getting more playing time if fat Lenny is fat. (Paraphrasing) 

He seems to be trolling me with that, as I said the chance of White starting wasn’t much better than non-zero (e.g. slim) in my response to @JohnnyU

it’s just one of those ways people at FBG can be so endearing, I guess. Probably best to ignore it.  :shrug:  
It was really no big deal. I just must have missed somebody using it. He's probably not trolling you; rather, he's just arguing against the actual words you used, which is fair, IMO. 

Anyway, neither here nor there, really. I was just making sure those words weren't attributed to me. (And like I said, I don't even get the unwieldy and abstract nature of that phrase.) 

Yeah, it wasn't you, it was a previous poster a few posts up.

The funny thing about all this White talk is that it only started when rotowrong posted their “fat Lenny” update, and at the summary said something about how owners shouldn’t sleep on White getting more playing time if fat Lenny is fat. (Paraphrasing) 

not really, we had a lot of White discussion in the rookie ranking pools ran by Faust over the past few months.

wasn't a troll at all, just sharing my opinon.  :shrug:

Disagreement is what makes this board great!
Yes, but adopting a specific phrase that I used, and using it again and again could easily be construed as trolling.

I was born at night. It wasn’t last night. 

I'll ignore all the talk about L Fournette other then to say it's JULY. Put me in the camp that White is the no 2.

This new coach spent a 3rd round pick on a RB and K Vaughn has shown 2 games of decent production-2020 Lions and

2021 Panthers. It took him 2 seasons to get too 67/320 2 TD rush and 9/50 1 TD rec'ing. Vaughn might beat out G Bernard.

K Vaughn was also a third round pick that was supposed to compete with R Jones. Didn't happen. 

I think we’ll have a decent idea on White v Vaughn place on the depth chart by the time most redrafts take place. For dynasty I’m not sure it matters much as both are young and both will get their chances, then we’ll see who is better.

Brady literally called and told the Bucs to get the Fournette deal done. He’s the guy this year 100%, I don’t care how fat he was in May. Maybe White breaks through as a backup but this is Brady’s last season most likely — he’s going down with who he knows. 

Brady literally called and told the Bucs to get the Fournette deal done. He’s the guy this year 100%,

Sure, I believe most would agree.  I think White becomes a factor if they tried to load manage Fournette and if/when Fournette gets injured...I see a decent likelihood for one or both.

I don’t care how fat he was in May
Last season that ended in January he was 228 lbs.

In May he was reported to weigh 260 lbs.

IMHO the question isn't if he will lose weight as latest report/speculation I heard last night was he was already down to 247 lbs, still 19 lbs over where he was last season.

I have no doubt he will continue to drop weight, but few professional athletes pack on 32 lbs in four months AFIK.  I have no doubt that takes a toll on anyone's body and has to have an effect on a professional athlete's body.

The assumption that everything is honky dory because he will lose weight doesn't take two things into consideration.

1. Self-discipline or lack thereof displayed by Fournette
  2. Increased risk of injury having such rapid weight gain/loss with added wear and tear on body 
If the latest reports are true, he's lost 13 lbs but that still has him 19 lbs overweight which is not good.

Fournette has had issues with self-discipline in the past.

Leonard Fournette’s missteps are piling up — what does it mean for his future with the Jaguars?

Lack of self-discipline is the likely culprit in this weight gain.  He has also had injuries and is likely to get injured sometime this season.

Leonard Fournette - Injury History 

Chance of Injury in 2022

87%

I have to wonder if the rapid weight gain and loss takes an obvious wear and tear on the body to increase his injury risk.

If/when Fournette loses the weight, I think it will have an effect of some sort this season. 

The Bucs took RB Rachaad White in the third round which automatically creates dynasty buzz, this story increases White's value IMHO because it his chances of contributing this year increase.

Last season that ended in January he was 228 lbs.

In May he was reported to weigh 260 lbs.

IMHO the question isn't if he will lose weight as latest report/speculation I heard last night was he was already down to 247 lbs, still 19 lbs over where he was last season.

I have no doubt he will continue to drop weight, but few professional athletes pack on 32 lbs in four months AFIK.  I have no doubt that takes a toll on anyone's body and has to have an effect on a professional athlete's body.

The assumption that everything is honky dory because he will lose weight doesn't take two things into consideration.

1. Self-discipline or lack thereof displayed by Fournette
  2. Increased risk of injury having such rapid weight gain/loss with added wear and tear on body 
If the latest reports are true, he's lost 13 lbs but that still has him 19 lbs overweight which is not good.

Fournette has had issues with self-discipline in the past.

Leonard Fournette’s missteps are piling up — what does it mean for his future with the Jaguars?

Lack of self-discipline is the likely culprit in this weight gain.  He has also had injuries and is likely to get injured sometime this season.

Leonard Fournette - Injury History 

Chance of Injury in 2022

87%

I have to wonder if the rapid weight gain and loss takes an obvious wear and tear on the body to increase his injury risk.

If/when Fournette loses the weight, I think it will have an effect of some sort this season. 

The Bucs took RB Rachaad White in the third round which automatically creates dynasty buzz, this story increases White's value IMHO because it his chances of contributing this year increase.
Nice post.  While I don't know about the 87%, the things you are saying about lack of self-discipline definitely resonate.  People will shrug this off as its no big deal, he will lose the weight by camp.  What people are not acknowledging is that significant weight gain like this indicates a lack of commitment in the offseason (which can certainly culminate in an injury at some point).  Instead of using the offseason to IMPROVE like most players these days do because they truly understand the business side of it - you get the old school lazy approach like Lenny, Mekhi Becton etc. that would rather use the offseason to gain and then lose weight, and then use training camp to get into shape.  What's missing?  Improving your skills.  Established guys at the top (like  LF) can probably get away with this - but he's got some history, AND just signed a nice extension, so complacency is clearly a factor here.  A truly committed pro athlete is never allowing themselves to get out of shape at any point, understanding that taking care of their bodies is a year round part of this business so long as you wish to optimize your own potential both contractually and on the field.  

Instead of using the offseason to IMPROVE like most players these days do because they truly understand the business side of it - you get the old school lazy approach like Lenny, Mekhi Becton etc. that would rather use the offseason to gain and then lose weight, and then use training camp to get into shape. 
May have some correlation with him getting paid in the offseason. Had he been heading into his walk year, I doubt he would have let himself go like that.

Users who are viewing this thread