What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Situation by Team (1 Viewer)

Re: Indy

2 quotes from Faust in the Taylor/Mack player threads:

imayello @jimayello

Reich reiterates that Marlon Mack is the Colts starter at RB. "He's earned that, and he looks fantastic."

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1300449991551520768?s=21
George Bremer @gmbremer

Reich reiterates RB will be a “1-1 punch.” Notes Marlon Mack has been “fantastic” during camp. #Colts also anticipate a major contribution from Jonathan Taylor this year.
So that's clear as mud.  I guess what this says to me is that Mack can be a fantasy RB1 for the first 3-4 weeks, but that if Taylor looks good, that it could eventually supplant him this year.  Can't see taking Taylor at his current ADP.

Rank these RBs for DYNASTY

Darrel Williams

Ryquell Armstead

Devine Ozigbo

JaMycal Hasty

Anthony McFarland

Darrell Henderson

Tony Pollard

James Robinson

ETA:  should have posted in the lotto thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long Ball Larry said:
So that's clear as mud.  I guess what this says to me is that Mack can be a fantasy RB1 for the first 3-4 weeks, but that if Taylor looks good, that it could eventually supplant him this year.  Can't see taking Taylor at his current ADP.
I think it's smart on Reich's part. Artificially setting expectations before you need to is a EV- proposition. Why anoint JT before he has to? We're on the heels of a weird, abbreviated offseason and he has capable veterans. So speak in vague platitudes knowing that if the rook does what you think he can do then you can flip the switch at that time. 

Of course Mack is going to open as 'the starter.' It isn't up to him how long he holds that role; it's up to JT.

I think it's smart on Reich's part. Artificially setting expectations before you need to is a EV- proposition. Why anoint JT before he has to? We're on the heels of a weird, abbreviated offseason and he has capable veterans. So speak in vague platitudes knowing that if the rook does what you think he can do then you can flip the switch at that time. 

Of course Mack is going to open as 'the starter.' It isn't up to him how long he holds that role; it's up to JT.
Not sure how "it's up to JT." More like it's up to Mack IMO.

If Mack opens as the starter, performs as he has in the past, Rivers is being protected, and the Colts are winning...then Mack isn't going to get arbitrarily kicked to the curb just because JT is the better long-term talent. 

If Mack opens as the starter, performs as he has in the past, Rivers is being protected, and the Colts are winning...then Mack isn't going to get arbitrarily kicked to the curb just because JT is the better long-term talent. 
Mack's past performances are the reason they drafted Taylor.

I think JT's gonna get some run to start the season. Once he starts to break big plays I think that will lead to a greater share. Now are we talking about a Jordan Howard/Miles Sanders situation? Carlos Hyde/Nick Chubb? Latavius Murray/Dalvin Cook? Somewhere in between? Probably that last one. Each situation is unique, but the outcome is usually the same - it's not if the rookie takes over, but when.

Is Aaron Jones' performance last year the reason the Packers drafted AJ Dillon?
well.... Jones' contract is up after this season and perhaps they didn't want to wait to grab the guy the see as his successor (and who they can pay, for at least a few years, at a fraction of what they would have to pay Jones). Same thing with Mack and Taylor actually

Mack's past performances are the reason they drafted Taylor.
In the 17 games Mack has had 15 carries or more, he's averaged 100 yards rushing and scored 15 total TD. He's a free agent after this season and maybe they don't want to pay him more or think he will want a bigger role elsewhere. But I don't think his performance was anywhere near being so bad that IND felt they had to replace him.

I’m no fantasy football expert by any means but I have never found a reason for the hype of JT.i don’t follow FF a lot in the off season but I do know that Marlon Mack isn’t a scrub. The guy can play. Why does everyone think the colts are just going to give JT all the carries? It’s not like it’s Carlos Hyde as the starter right now. 

TBH, I don't know what the #### the Packers were thinking during the draft.  They screwed the pooch multiple times.
I think I get what the Packers were doing with Dillon specifically. They have no running backs under contract beyond this season, so I think it makes sense to get in front of it. But on the other hand any organization that thinks Jordan Love was the right pick at that spot on this team right now can't be defended.

But that isn't the reason why I see Aaron Jones differently than Mack. I see Jones differently because he has been one of the game's top producers at RB when given lead back work. Mack's just been average.

In the 17 games Mack has had 15 carries or more, he's averaged 100 yards rushing and scored 15 total TD. He's a free agent after this season and maybe they don't want to pay him more or think he will want a bigger role elsewhere. But I don't think his performance was anywhere near being so bad that IND felt they had to replace him.
This is the wrong way to look at Mack's career.  First, I always ignore Week 17 when looking at player stats, that takes away two of his 15 carry games, 200 yards, and 3 TDs.

But more importantly, it took him two full seasons to accumulate 16 games of 15 carries or more.  His weekly rushing stats in the 2nd half of 2019 were atrocious.

7 HOU 18 44 0
8 DEN 19 76 0
9 PIT 21 89 0
10 MIA 19 74 0
11 JAX 14 109 1
12 HOU 0 0 0
13 TEN 0 0 0
14 TB 13 38 1
15 NO 11 19 0
16 CAR 16 95 1

One 100 yard game, 3 TDs and completely worthless in the passing game.

I’m no fantasy football expert by any means but I have never found a reason for the hype of JT.i don’t follow FF a lot in the off season but I do know that Marlon Mack isn’t a scrub. The guy can play. Why does everyone think the colts are just going to give JT all the carries? It’s not like it’s Carlos Hyde as the starter right now. 
I think he is an average RB who benefits from having THE best run-blocking O-line in front of him. Wilkins looked decent behind that line too. 

No one is saying that Mack can't play.  But I don't think Mack is a special talent.  Taylor is just a more superior talent to Mack and will eventually will become the bellcow.  The question will be......when.

No one is saying that Mack can't play.  But I don't think Mack is a special talent.  Taylor is just a more superior talent to Mack and will eventually will become the bellcow.  The question will be......when.
Agreed. And that Mack's performance in front of Taylor will influence the "when."  If it strictly came down to long-term talent then Taylor would be starting Game 1.

Sometimes I think people in here just like arguing.

This is the wrong way to look at Mack's career.  First, I always ignore Week 17 when looking at player stats, that takes away two of his 15 carry games, 200 yards, and 3 TDs.

But more importantly, it took him two full seasons to accumulate 16 games of 15 carries or more.  His weekly rushing stats in the 2nd half of 2019 were atrocious.

7 HOU 18 44 0
8 DEN 19 76 0
9 PIT 21 89 0
10 MIA 19 74 0
11 JAX 14 109 1
12 HOU 0 0 0
13 TEN 0 0 0
14 TB 13 38 1
15 NO 11 19 0
16 CAR 16 95 1

One 100 yard game, 3 TDs and completely worthless in the passing game.
So you threw out the game where the titans and colts were the last teams fighting for a playoff spot?

It matters in the NFL, but is meaningless in fantasy.  I throw out Week 17 for everybody, there's way too much noise there anyway.
I don't think that is necessarily a good idea when trying to figure out if a guy is a good player or not …...which is what people are discussing with regarding Mack.  That game was meaningful and should be utilized in the overall evaluation of Mack for these purposes. 

I don't think that is necessarily a good idea when trying to figure out if a guy is a good player or not …...which is what people are discussing with regarding Mack.  That game was meaningful and should be utilized in the overall evaluation of Mack for these purposes. 
Would it be more meaningful for me to point out that the Jaguars gave up 2 rushing TDs and 100+ team yards in 6 of their last 7 games?

I ignore Week 17 for a specific reason, but you can't reasonably argue that Mack's skills are what allowed him to get 77/2 against them.

Would it be more meaningful for me to point out that the Jaguars gave up 2 rushing TDs and 100+ team yards in 6 of their last 7 games?

I ignore Week 17 for a specific reason, but you can't reasonably argue that Mack's skills are what allowed him to get 77/2 against them.
All of that info is part of the equation.  I understand about removing a game where a guy doesn't play a lot (week 17) when it hurts per game averages but playing a meaningful NFL game it matters.  There are bad teams on the schedule every year.  Are you going to take out a week 7 game because they played against the 32nd ranked rush defense that day because they aren't good?  You can do what you want for whatever reasons you want but when trying to evaluate talent and ability (not necessarily blind Fantasy points) then factoring in all of their data seems like the right thing to do. 

that's not the game I was talking about.

Breaking: Alvin Kamara missed practice over contract dispute. 
:o  

Apparently he doesn’t want to play for 2.xM on the last year of his rookie contract. 13 days before the season.

Murray could become very interesting in a hurry if this lasts. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Alvin Kamara's absence from camp is believed to be contract related.

Kamara, who has had an unexcused absence from camp the past three days, is due $2.133 million in the final year of his rookie deal. With Christian McCaffrey and Derrick Henry setting the bar with extensions this offseason, Kamara is expected to keep away until the Saints either tack on guaranteed cash or extend him altogether. It's certainly jarring to see this news with only 10 days until the season opener, but fantasy players should not overreact until Kamara's ongoing situation becomes more clear. He remains Rotoworld's No. 4 overall player for 2020.

Rank these RBs for DYNASTY

Darrel Williams

Ryquell Armstead

Devine Ozigbo

JaMycal Hasty

Anthony McFarland

Darrell Henderson

Tony Pollard

James Robinson

ETA:  should have posted in the lotto thread.
While I'm not up to speed on all the backs you listed, Darrell Henderson easily. Love the speed, receiving skills, and overall instincts. His situation is murky but I think it's worth waiting out.

Hope I'm not wrong.

It matters in the NFL, but is meaningless in fantasy.  I throw out Week 17 for everybody, there's way too much noise there anyway.
Mack didn't know he wasn't helping your magical football team that week. I'm just sayin - you can't throw that out. It literally could have been any week of the season - it just happened to be one that doesn't matter for most FF managers. 

Mack didn't know he wasn't helping your magical football team that week. I'm just sayin - you can't throw that out. It literally could have been any week of the season - it just happened to be one that doesn't matter for most FF managers. 
Add in that week and he’s still a marginal talent underperforming what the OLine is giving him, you can’t throw that out. 

I thought the narrative was that RBs were being devalued in the NFL. As such, when teams do draft a top RB prospect with the presumed intention of them becoming the starter (at some point), wouldn't it make sense to give them as much run as a rookie as possible? 

If they're not a bust and can play, then in order to get value for your draft pick before their rookie contract expires, teams should play them. Get them game reps and into their "prime window" as soon as possible.

This is possibly one reason why drafting rookie RBs in FF is a winning strategy. People saying "what about Mack, what about Ingram?" - these aren't non existent barriers, they are quite real. But it really is a question of when not if these rookies take over, provided they don't bust. 

I look back to Chubbs rookie year. He stayed behind the incumbent for most of that year. But then, I think it was week 10, he broke out. And there was no putting the genie back in the bottle. 

I look back to Chubbs rookie year. He stayed behind the incumbent for most of that year. But then, I think it was week 10, he broke out. And there was no putting the genie back in the bottle. 
At least until the next year when Kareem Hunt came aboard and after returning from suspension formed a RBBC, dominating receptions 2:1

At that point the genie was somewhat reluctantly moving back into his bottle. You could see the u-haul parked outside of it & a bunch of guys carrying a sofa bed wondering how they’d possibly be able to fit it into a Coors Banquet. 

:shrug:  

In news that should shock very few, Adrian Peterson is the starting RB for the Washington WTFs, er, WFTs 

In repeated news, he remains the best $1 I’ve ever spent in dynasty. I’m a little bit surprised Rotoworld didn’t include that in this update. 

The Athletic's Ben Standig expects Adrian Peterson to get the early-down work in Washington's backfield.

All the summer talk has surrounded rookie Antonio Gibson and sophomore Bryce Love, but Peterson has been the steady presence in Washington's backfield as the early-down workhorse. Of course, games could quickly get away from this team in 2020, essentially eliminating Peterson from the game plan by the end of the first half. But he's the favorite for carries at the moment. He can always flirt with 20-plus carries any given week. Gibson is "next in line" for touches, followed by J.D. McKissic, according to Standig. Peyton Barber is projected to be Peterson's direct backup on first and second down. Love "isn't a threat" for work at the moment.

At least until the next year when Kareem Hunt came aboard and after returning from suspension formed a RBBC, dominating receptions 2:1

At that point the genie was somewhat reluctantly moving back into his bottle. You could see the u-haul parked outside of it & a bunch of guys carrying a sofa bed wondering how they’d possibly be able to fit it into a Coors Banquet. 

:shrug:  
Hopefully the Colts don't trade to get Kareem Hunt this year.  🙂

But on that topic - I'm drafting Hunt in every league I can this season. I think he's a high-likelihood candidate to get traded to another team since if memory serves the Browns don't have contract rights next year.

But on that topic - I'm drafting Hunt in every league I can this season. I think he's a high-likelihood candidate to get traded to another team since if memory serves the Browns don't have contract rights next year.
I am as well, but mainly because he should be good for ~150 carries & ~60+ receptions, making him a fine weekly flex play. 

I am as well, but mainly because he should be good for ~150 carries & ~60+ receptions, making him a fine weekly flex play. 
He had 43 carries and 37 catches in 8 games last year. I don’t see him getting 150 carries unless Chubb gets hurt. And if they use Hooper more than they used the TE spot last year (41-497-9), Hunt could lose targets. 

He had 43 carries and 37 catches in 8 games last year. I don’t see him getting 150 carries unless Chubb gets hurt. And if they use Hooper more than they used the TE spot last year (41-497-9), Hunt could lose targets. 
On 100/50

Throw in ~6 TDs? 

still flex worthy. 

Users who are viewing this thread