What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tank Bigsby, JAX (1 Viewer)

Jaguars reporter John Shipley believes rookie RB Tank Bigsby "should have the inside track" to be the No. 2 running back.​

Bigsby was a standout at last week's OTAs, catching three TDs while flashing as a pass catcher. The third-round rookie is an early-down hedge to Travis Etienne that could push for standalone value if he beats out ex-Browns RB D'Ernest Johnson and JaMycal Hasty this preseason. Bigsby's draft capital may give him the edge for the RB2 role.
SOURCE: Sports Illustrated
May 20, 2023, 11:47 AM ET

Demetrius Harvey of The Florida Times-Union writes Tank Bigsby "will have plenty of opportunity to quickly become the team's primary backup back to Travis Etienne."

"...and even could out-touch him in some games depending on who has the hot hand," the sentence finishes. Bigsby looks like he'll be a long-shot to be a true three-down back, at least early in his career, but he could wind up as the primary backup back in a good offense early in his career, and it wouldn't be surprising if he was able to put together a goal-line role. That does carry some fantasy value.
SOURCE: Florida Times-Union
Jun 11, 2023 at 12:59 PM ET

I may be in minority but I love his upside with Jaguars. Etienne exactly isn't model of consistency in durability and health. And his body shape / size doesn't exactly screamed as every-down back. Beside, if anything, HC Pederson has track record of rotating his RBs to keep them healthy for duration of season and playoffs. The only thing that is holding back on drafting him high is Jaguars' OL. Remember they lost Jawaan Taylor to free agency and will not have Cam Robinson in early start of the season due to multiple games suspension.

I may be in minority but I love his upside with Jaguars. Etienne exactly isn't model of consistency in durability and health. And his body shape / size doesn't exactly screamed as every-down back. Beside, if anything, HC Pederson has track record of rotating his RBs to keep them healthy for duration of season and playoffs. The only thing that is holding back on drafting him high is Jaguars' OL. Remember they lost Jawaan Taylor to free agency and will not have Cam Robinson in early start of the season due to multiple games suspension.
Two words, “dreaded lisfranc”. May be able to dodge it for a few years but no one escapes the lisfranc reaper for long.

Etienne exactly isn't model of consistency in durability and health.
Based on what?

He missed his first season with the foot injury and played in all 19 games last season (including two playoff games). I guess technically what you said is true but presented in a disingenuous way.

Etienne exactly isn't model of consistency in durability and health.
Based on what?

He missed his first season with the foot injury and played in all 19 games last season (including two playoff games). I guess technically what you said is true but presented in a disingenuous way.
Yeah, I don't get it either. He suffered one random foot injury that could get anyone. The guy was the model of health and consistency in college. He's pretty much the ideal size for an NFL back at 5'10" 215.

Ignoring Etienne talk, I get the feeling that Bigsby will have more of a role early than people think, probably going to take some redraft dart throws in this direction

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters
“Bigsby scored 2 rushing TDs during a red-zone period against the starting defense, showing impressive downhill acceleration to combine with his hulking size. Bigsby looked like a runaway freight train when hitting the hole and if Tuesday was any indication, he could be in line for short-yardage touches early in his career.”
Are they wearing pads yet? Thought it was still pad-less at this point.

I know Tank plays bigger than ETN and some of this is likely how they chose to manage their weights for the combine but ETN is officially heavier with a much higher BMI. Just kind of funny.

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters
“Bigsby scored 2 rushing TDs during a red-zone period against the starting defense, showing impressive downhill acceleration to combine with his hulking size. Bigsby looked like a runaway freight train when hitting the hole and if Tuesday was any indication, he could be in line for short-yardage touches early in his career.”
Are they wearing pads yet? Thought it was still pad-less at this point.
From the opening paragraph in the story that the 32 beat writers quoted:

Football is, essentially, back.

The Jacksonville Jaguars put the shoulder pads on for the first time of the season on Tuesday, with the physicality of practice going to another level than the first five practices.

I feel like people should consider Tank Bigsby hurting Travis Etienne's value more similarly to that of Zach Charbonnet affecting Kenneth Walker.

I was very impressed with Tank's vision when watching his tape.
As an ETN shareholder, I fully expect Bigsby to impact ETN

I also think it’s going to be an exciting season for the Jags, and I want pieces of that offense, whether it’s ETN or Tank (or Lawrence, or receivers)

I am hoping the good Tank news drops ETN to where he’s a value in my redraft league.

Last edited:
but ETN is officially heavier with a much higher BMI

Dude, I need a girlfriend that digs me the way you dig ETN. LOL.
LOL I acknowledge there is a good chance ETN loses significant GL work. From college Tank sure appears to be the tougher inside runner (his cool name probably helps with that idea too). He's just not actually as big as one might think.

I feel like people should consider Tank Bigsby hurting Travis Etienne's value more similarly to that of Zach Charbonnet affecting Kenneth Walker.

I was very impressed with Tank's vision when watching his tape.
It’s certainly a possible outcome. James Robinson and ETN were in a RBBC until Robinson just fell apart and even after they released him Jamychal Hasty got a lot of run.
I have ETN in two leagues. I’m not too worried about ETN losing a ton of fantasy value, but his upside is capped if Bigsby gets GL carries.

ETN being in somewhat of a RBBC has been baked into his value. Last season he was very productive in one. This season the competition may be better than Hasty of course. They also added D’Ernest Johnson, who always looked good in Cleveland when he was active. So he could see a smaller slice but I think he sees more passing game action than last year which will potentially make up for any lost GL touches.

Last edited:
I also think it’s going to be an exciting season for the Jags, and I want pieces of that offense, whether it’s ETN or Tank (or Lawrence, or receivers)
Me, too. Been really coming around on Ridley as well.
We talk a lot about players we are highly invested in across multiple leagues. This year I've noticed two teams I'm finding myself highly invested in across my leagues; Jags being one of them. TLaw is coming a discount as though people are overlooking he also has rushing upside baked in, ETN still seems marred by his LF injury despite looking solid last year is going late 3rd if not 4th round, I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley is on 100% of my teams this season, and Kirk was a WR1 last year going in the 7th round lol... sure he will regress with Ridley there but man I've seen Pickens going ahead of him regularly. Crazy. A voice in my head does tell me on the daily "you realize you're betting on the Jags right?", but I've been telling it to shut up and ride the wave lol.

A voice in my head does tell me on the daily "you realize you're betting on the Jags right?", but I've been telling it to shut up and ride the wave lol.

Seriously, the voice telling it to shut up is probably right. Pederson, T Law with another year, that receiving corps (I might be the only one that thinks Jones is a really good football -- not fantasy option -- receiver), ETN, Bigsby, Johnson in the backfield. Even Jamal Agnew returning kicks is special.

That's a high-level offense. You can level up with that **** at those prices.

A voice in my head does tell me on the daily "you realize you're betting on the Jags right?", but I've been telling it to shut up and ride the wave lol.

Seriously, the voice telling it to shut up is probably right. Pederson, T Law with another year, that receiving corps (I might be the only one that thinks Jones is a really good football -- not fantasy option -- receiver), ETN, Bigsby, Johnson in the backfield. Even Jamal Agnew returning kicks is special.

Ok now can you also please make me feel better about the fact the other team I'm highly invested in is the Browns. That hurts my soul on multiple levels lol. Chubb has been my autopick at the 1/2 turn, when Gibbs/ETN aren't there at 3/4 I'm pairing Cooper with Ridley, and when I've found myself missing the QB runs early and deciding to wait I've been snagging Watson as my first choice there. Have several rosters now where nearly half the team are Jags and Browns. It feels like all those years I bet against Brady.... in hindsight seems like such an obvious bad decision lol.

Edit: and how can I forget the value E Moore pick I'm almost always making. Even when I grabbed Cooper earlier in some of them.

Have several rosters now where nearly half the team are Jags and Browns. It feels like all those years I bet against Brady

Browns I don't love. Sorry. A Cooper/Ridley pairing is not something I want to find myself driving, because I'm not absolutely sold on Ridley, and you at least want one sure thing in your pairing.

I think with the Browns that you're betting on Watson to regain form and that the offense runs through him. I know it's easy to see what was and think he should be able to turn it around, but a lot of guys have missed time like that, tried to come back, and failed.

I wouldn't bet on him, really. I also wouldn't bet against him. He could very well be the old Deshaun and it would be weird to watch somebody just lose it like that in what should be his prime. I just don't think it's a good idea to load up fantasy teams with that sort of question hanging around.

Have several rosters now where nearly half the team are Jags and Browns. It feels like all those years I bet against Brady

Browns I don't love. Sorry. A Cooper/Ridley pairing is not something I want to find myself driving, because I'm not absolutely sold on Ridley, and you at least want one sure thing in your pairing.

I think with the Browns that you're betting on Watson to regain form and that the offense runs through him. I know it's easy to see what was and think he should be able to turn it around, but a lot of guys have missed time like that, tried to come back, and failed.

I wouldn't bet on him, really. I also wouldn't bet against him. He could very well be the old Deshaun and it would be weird to watch somebody just lose it like that in what should be his prime. I just don't think it's a good idea to load up fantasy teams with that sort of question hanging around.
Def fair. Watson has been the failsafe when I don't get TLaw/Fields (I'm mostly drafting 9-12 spot). And I'm normally trying to get ahead of the backup run that inevitably takes place. I could shift over to Dak or Tua, or wait one more round and go Rodgers. None of them feel especially great either tbh.

I know Tank plays bigger than ETN and some of this is likely how they chose to manage their weights for the combine but ETN is officially heavier with a much higher BMI. Just kind of funny.

I think just the opposite. Tank does not play big or bigger than ETN. He goes down rather easily when he is hit. I don't think he'll outperform Hasty, but he'll be given the opportunity since they spent a third round pick on him. He is just a guy imo.

They drafted some help, but the offensive line looks to be the weakness. I don't want to bet on any of the teams in this division.

I think just the opposite. Tank does not play big or bigger than ETN. He goes down rather easily when he is hit. I don't think he'll outperform Hasty, but he'll be given the opportunity since they spent a third round pick on him. He is just a guy imo.
Good insight, thanks.

You creeping up in Jags.com checking on your boy?

Chris from FLEMING ISLAND

O-Zone, Tank Bigsby is listed at 6-feet-0, 213 pounds; Travis Etienne Jr. at 5-10, 215. So they're almost the same size, why is Bigsby considered the more physical runner? Is it style, attitude or something else?

Style and body thickness. Etienne runs hard – really hard – inside. But Bigsby just looks like he packs a bigger punch.

nfln was at the jags camp today, steve smith Sr couldn't stop praising Tank Bigsby I mean he was all over bigsby. when a former player talks up a current player the way Smith was doing today, I take notice.
This kid is going to be a household name by november. his adp is going to continue to rise, pulling him out of sleeper material into backup RB zone. but I think the smart money is on him taking over the lead role and Etienne going to a wr/rb hybrid. grab him while you can.

Most likely scenario to me is that Tank and Etienne both have sizable roles...the only questions are the details of those roles.

Both good ball players.

Jaguars head coach Doug Pederson complimented Tank Bigsby’s pass-catching ability.
“I would even say he’s a better pass catcher,” Pederson said after a recent training camp practice, adding that Bigsby has been a “sponge” with coaching advice and information in offseason sessions. “Of course, in college, they didn’t throw it to him a bunch, but he’s a really good pass catcher in the backfield.” Bigsby managed 51 receptions over this final two seasons at Auburn. He was incredibly efficient with those catches, averaging 7.4 yards per catch. Bigsby, taken by the Jaguars in the third round of the 2023 NFL Draft, could eat into Travis Etienne’s pass-catching role a year after Etienne caught 35 of 45 targets in the Jacksonville offense. Clearly the Jaguars’ No. 2 back, Bigsby should be a late-round target for fantasy players who largely fade the running back position early in the draft.

You know, I had this guy ranked really highly from highlights/tape and then listened to everybody. I fell asleep at the draft switch and he fell to like 3.09 or something and somebody (Gally) made a great trade to snipe him.

Trust your instincts sometimes.

It's not every rookie draft where you can stack Tanks.

Also, Shipley seems like the only guy that covers the jags. I never hear reports from anyone else around there. I remember him hyping Shenault like mad going into year 2. Take what he says with some salt. I try to remember that beat writers are often just fans with press badges and journalist degrees.

Users who are viewing this thread