What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tevin Coleman, SF (1 Viewer)

Is it possible that the lack of visual evidence of Coleman displaying elusiveness in his last season was due in part to him playing with a toe injury?

To make extreme cuts you need to be able to plant hard and push off. This may have been something he wanted to do more, but didn't because of the pain and perhaps a lack of confidence in such moves being effective in his condition.

The Shanahan ZBS generally didn't need an ankle breaker to be effective. Just a RB who can press the hole then cut at the right moment when the blocking presents an opening. Even Ron Dayne was effective in this type of system.

I think it is more about vision and timing. Which are traits I think Tevin Coleman has.
ZBS is ALL about vision and decisiveness. Great speed is just a great bonus.

If Coleman has these three things, he will fare well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible that the lack of visual evidence of Coleman displaying elusiveness in his last season was due in part to him playing with a toe injury?

To make extreme cuts you need to be able to plant hard and push off. This may have been something he wanted to do more, but didn't because of the pain and perhaps a lack of confidence in such moves being effective in his condition.

The Shanahan ZBS generally didn't need an ankle breaker to be effective. Just a RB who can press the hole then cut at the right moment when the blocking presents an opening. Even Ron Dayne was effective in this type of system.

I think it is more about vision and timing. Which are traits I think Tevin Coleman has.
ZBS is ALL about vision and decisiveness. Great speed is just a great bonus.

If Coleman has these three things, he will fare well.
One thing he wont have going for him this year, at least, is an OLine.

How close is Coleman to an RB like Abdullah?

I had pick 9 and 11 and the draft went Perriman, Abdullah, Coleman. I was hoping to land both Perriman and Abdullah but had to "settle" for Coleman. I've seen varying opinions on Coleman.

How close is Coleman to an RB like Abdullah?

I had pick 9 and 11 and the draft went Perriman, Abdullah, Coleman. I was hoping to land both Perriman and Abdullah but had to "settle" for Coleman. I've seen varying opinions on Coleman.
I went with coleman over abdullah. Pretty much because im anti lion. And anyone who dominates at indiana of all places is pretty good imo

Coleman has a really high upside but he needs to work on the basics. Every play isn't going to be a homerun.

He can be Darren McFadden or he can be Demarco Murray. It all depends on how he develops from here on out. But when it comes to hitting a crease for a homerun there isn't a back in this class that does it any better.

This guy has serious jets but I question his ability to get the dirty yards on 3rd and short.

I guess you could look at some of the early games before he hurt his toe in order to help make that determination, but I suspect what you would find is he isn't as elusive.

I kind of agree with what you are saying, I was just addressing the point because sometimes expectations are built on comps. I see why the speed comparison was made, and that should serve him similarly well in the NFL. He could still succeed, even at a high level, but it may be for different reasons than Portis did, if the comp breaks down there, and he isn't as elusive.

* BTW, I did see a degree of elusiveness in the open field, but I thought Portis was far more natural in short areas, juking defenders in a phone booth.
You are correct that Portis was very elusive, especially before his injury where he seemed to have lost some of that.

Just saying that elusiveness isn't a prerequisite for a RB to be successful in the ZBS. I think it is a bonus for sure.

When I watch RB elusiveness is something I look for and I tend to like RB who can make defenders miss a lot more than RB who cannot. A few years back this was the primary characteristic or trait I would look for in RB. Ten years ago I would have nothing to do with RB that couldn't juke a defender consistently. For example Michael Bush or Ron Dayne. But looking at yardage gained and points scored by players like this over time, I gradually began to accept that RB can be successful in ways other ways than elusiveness. Although I still favor that ability very highly in a RB.

I have not seen any great juke moves from Coleman but I have mostly only watched games after the toe injury. So that made me wonder if he might play differently otherwise.

I have seen good vision and the ability to set up angles and explode through small creases from Coleman He makes defenders miss with his speed rather than setting them up with fakes and jukes.

eta- There were a couple other points made in the thread that I will just address here instead multiple posts.

In regards to concern about his toe injury. This is something that has concerned me as well. My concern is more about the risk of long term damage because he was playing with a broken toe. He had a brace made for him by doctors to isolate the toe and protect it from further injury. But I still feel that was a risk for him to keep playing through it. He was very productive even with the injury, so that leads me to think the risk of further injury by playing through it was considered an acceptable risk. He played very well through the injury which is a testament to his toughness and he didn't suffer aditional injury from playing through it, so that risk I consider to be past. The injury did not seem to impact his draft value very much, so I am going to trust the Falcons medical staff here that this isn't a long term concern.

I already addressed the elusiveness issue. Again this is not a requirement for a RB to be an ankle breaker to be effective in the zone blocking system. If it was then players like Ron Dayne, Mike Anderson and many others would not have been effective in the system. Vision and timing are important traits to be effective in the system. I will just go out on a limb here and say that Shanahan would not have drafted Coleman if he didn't believe that Coleman would fit their system.

IMO, the most important traits for a RB in ZB systems are great feet and vision. Portis had both. The ability to visualize the hole, sift through the the line and get there is very dependent on foot speed. Foot quickness and vision allow a RB to quickly identify the emerging gap and burst thru it.

You sound smart. Does ColemAn have those things? Is he the next Portis?
I don't believe so. Vision, maybe. Foot speed no. Maybe he works out maybe not.

I don't think he's a Portis type runner.

I like his decisiveness and ability to put a foot in the ground and get up field. I think he's in too much of a hurry and doesn't let blocking develop, though. He doesn't have the foot quickness of a Portis to idle down at the handoff and then burst. He's more one speed. He's got good change of direction in the open field and willingly lowers his shoulder.

Portis is a high bar.

Not sure about all the 10 yard demarcations, but I think he led the nation (or was high up among the leaders) in 20-30-40-50-60-70-80-90 yard scores, so Coleman must have been doing something right.

And as has been pointed out, this was for Indiana, where everybody in the stadium knew he was getting the ball, yet teams still couldn't stop him, or even slow him down in most cases.

If he had started for Alabama or Wisconsin and not dealt with a broken foot, not a stretch to think he could have put up even more than 2,000 yards (not sure about the 2,500 Gordon did, I think he did better against at least one common opponent, but Coleman did better against a couple - but again, flip teams, Coleman likely does better than in Indiana, and Gordon worse than at Wisconsin).

Not sure about all the 10 yard demarcations, but I think he led the nation (or was high up among the leaders) in 20-30-40-50-60-70-80-90 yard scores, so Coleman must have been doing something right.
the problem with that is I think the long runs get weighted too heavily.

once he gets past the linebacker level, whether due to talent or giant hole, he's usually then running away from college kids in the open field.

yeah, it's better to be fast than slow, but once you get maybe 10 yds I'd put less emphasis on the rest, as I don't think he gets the opportunities at the pro level, and running away in the open field probably won't translate as well.

but the problem is that the last 30 yds get weighted more than the first 10.

if he can't get as far as the second level in the nfl he obviously won't be in line to bust off all those long td.

How did he and Gordon do against a like opponent in Ohio State (the National Champs)??? :)
well, coleman busted off a 90 yd td and a 50 yd td, along with another 86/1 on the other 25 carries.

gordon only managed 76 yds on his 26 carries -- his team getting blown out 59-0

gordon one upped him with a few other common opponents, though, where maybe coleman didn't bust off the crazy long td

if I have this stat right, I believe chris johnson popped off a total 11 50 yd td --- his first 6 yrs

and he's pretty fast

jamaal charles had 6 over that same period

the problem with that is I think the long runs get weighted too heavily.

once he gets past the linebacker level, whether due to talent or giant hole, he's usually then running away from college kids in the open field.

yeah, it's better to be fast than slow, but once you get maybe 10 yds I'd put less emphasis on the rest, as I don't think he gets the opportunities at the pro level, and running away in the open field probably won't translate as well.

but the problem is that the last 30 yds get weighted more than the first 10.

if he can't get as far as the second level in the nfl he obviously won't be in line to bust off all those long td.
This and the follow up posts are a good line of inquiry. It is important for the thread, imo, to consider his strengths and weaknesses from as many angles as possible.

All I would add is that there have certainly been fast RBs before that didn't do what he has, averaging 40+ yards a score (with 15 TDs in 2014) has to be pretty rare, among his college RB peers - and again, on a team without an OL in the same class as Wisconsisn (or Alabama, or their skill position weapons), and with a broken foot for a good chunk of the season, to "boot".

ATL could be a great destination for him, not only due to Shanahan's ZBS (if he should prove a good fit), but because of the skill position weapons, he probably never sees eight in the box. While he doesn't have Portis like wiggle in and through the hole, I have seen him in situations, when he has one man to beat in the open field (the safety, usually), and he does it. He doesn't necessarily use jukes, but seems to have a good instinct or knack for how to put himself in position to defeat the angles of DBs, as I believe Biabreakable did a good job breaking down, describing and explaining (having to do with field awareness, and seeing how the secondary recovery positions will unfold before they happen).

It is true we shouldn't expect him to get to the second and third level as often in the NFL. Some scouts have likened his style, in terms of staying on schedule in down and distance terms, as somewhat like Sanders, you may have to live with some negative or non-productive plays, to get some of the home runs. If/when he does get there, I only saw once or twice when he was caught from behind. For a fast player (sub-4.4 at pro day, if a legit, reliable time?), he may actually have build up speed and get faster the further he gets downfield. I imagine he may be faster than some other 4.4X RBs and DBs, BEYOND 40 YARDS, partly explaining the prolific distance scores. Typically we think of the 40 as a useful "univeral" measure across positions, but the 10 yard split might be more important for OL. OLB Terrell Suggs (serial, 6 X Pro Bowler) ran a notoriously slow 4.84 40 time for a pass rusher, but the BAL HC or DC quipped that would be a bigger problem if he had to run 40 yards to get to the QB. In Coleman's case, his speed after 40 yards could be what separates him (if he's even, he's leavin), and the source of all those 40+, and even 60+ yard scores?

call me the minority but a rb coming of a surgically repaired toe is a huge red flag to stay away from for me at his price.
Like eddie lacy??
while that is a point that its not a death nail i did say at his price meaning in this draft.
Not the death nail!!!!
Knelled that point.

Another knell in the coffin.
Before you guys get all overeager to bust balls have you considered that maybe he's scottish

Kool-Aid Larry said:
pizzatyme said:
How did he and Gordon do against a like opponent in Ohio State (the National Champs)??? :)
well, coleman busted off a 90 yd td and a 50 yd td, along with another 86/1 on the other 25 carries.

gordon only managed 76 yds on his 26 carries -- his team getting blown out 59-0

gordon one upped him with a few other common opponents, though, where maybe coleman didn't bust off the crazy long td

if I have this stat right, I believe chris johnson popped off a total 11 50 yd td --- his first 6 yrs

and he's pretty fast

jamaal charles had 6 over that same period
Redo. What he said.

I think McFadden is the perfect comp for Coleman. Not very creative and dependent on straight line speed. He is very capable of having a big season. He is not a grinder though. Eventually he will be replaced by a player who will consistently get the tough yards. Freeman is pedestrian, so it looks good for him this year. I'd buy starting at pick 14 and sell if he has a good year because overall I'm not a fan.

I think McFadden is the perfect comp for Coleman. Not very creative and dependent on straight line speed. He is very capable of having a big season. He is not a grinder though. Eventually he will be replaced by a player who will consistently get the tough yards. Freeman is pedestrian, so it looks good for him this year. I'd buy starting at pick 14 and sell if he has a good year because overall I'm not a fan.
Ryan Mathews, McFadden, DeMarco, Tevin Coleman is very similar to these players, very good fit for the Shanny/Kubiak style. I don't think Freeman is.

Selling after a good rookie season could be an option.

Definite knack for breaking long runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32w8hF9PTM

Freeman and Antone Smith had just 88 carries COMBINED between them in 2014.

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/5113/tevin-coleman-to-the-atlanta-falcons-these-birds-just-got-explosive

"Both backs figure to share time with Coleman and contribute to the Falcons' passing attack, but Coleman should be able to win the starting job and be the workhorse back early in season, if not by Week 1."
In that highlight video, Coleman is completely UNTOUCHED in about 80-85% of those runs. To his credit, the times he was, he broke through some nice tackle attempts and arm tackles, but there's very little lateral agility seen on any of those runs, IMO. There's no doubt he's fast when he gets going, but he's not going to see holes like that in the NFL and just get to run in a straight line really, really fast.

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/5113/tevin-coleman-to-the-atlanta-falcons-these-birds-just-got-explosive

"Both backs figure to share time with Coleman and contribute to the Falcons' passing attack, but Coleman should be able to win the starting job and be the workhorse back early in season, if not by Week 1."
In that highlight video, Coleman is completely UNTOUCHED in about 80-85% of those runs. To his credit, the times he was, he broke through some nice tackle attempts and arm tackles, but there's very little lateral agility seen on any of those runs, IMO. There's no doubt he's fast when he gets going, but he's not going to see holes like that in the NFL and just get to run in a straight line really, really fast.
Didn't re-watch the whole thing, but in the first three plays, he either broke tackles and/or had to elude multiple defenders (at times flashing lateral agility)? Sometimes he contributes to and plays an active role in the fact that he isn't touched. I dunno, sometimes it seems like people see what they expect to see (no doubt I fall into this category at times and am not exempting myself :) ). I definitely wouldn't say he has Barry Sanders-like jukes or elusiveness, but he isn't exactly a speeded up version of a Shonn Green, straight-line stiff, either. He looks to me like he has superior lateral agility and elusiveness to Knile Davis, and may be nearly as fast (though not as much of a freakish size/speed specimen, Davis is 230 lbs.), for what that is worth.

Of course the competition will be better in the NFL, that is a given. But he could do worse than his 7.5 Y/C average in 2014, and still have room to do a lot of damage. Playing in an offense where defenses will be HEAVILY distracted by Ryan, Julio and White, he may see more creases than he would in a lesser passing offense. There are times when an NFL RB is presented with the opportunity to just beat one defender and than be off to the races. I think there will be times he is capable of doing that, and if so, he isn't going to be caught from behind too often, even in the NFL.

Didn't re-watch the whole thing, but in the first three plays, he either broke tackles and/or had to elude multiple defenders (at times flashing lateral agility)? Sometimes he contributes to and plays an active role in the fact that he isn't touched. I dunno, sometimes it seems like people see what they expect to see (no doubt I fall into this category at times and am not exempting myself :) ). I definitely wouldn't say he has Barry Sanders-like jukes or elusiveness, but he isn't exactly a speeded up version of a Shonn Green, straight-line stiff, either. He looks to me like he has superior lateral agility and elusiveness to Knile Davis, and may be nearly as fast (though not as much of a freakish size/speed specimen, Davis is 230 lbs.), for what that is worth.

Of course the competition will be better in the NFL, that is a given. But he could do worse than his 7.5 Y/C average in 2014, and still have room to do a lot of damage. Playing in an offense where defenses will be HEAVILY distracted by Ryan, Julio and White, he may see more creases than he would in a lesser passing offense. There are times when an NFL RB is presented with the opportunity to just beat one defender and than be off to the races. I think there will be times he is capable of doing that, and if so, he isn't going to be caught from behind too often, even in the NFL.
His surrounding cast will be much better too, Indiana is a football wasteland

You should rewatch the whole thing. Those first two runs are about the only ones he broke any tackles. I didn't go into that expecting to see anything. Rewatch the video and look how many gaping holes he runs through or how many times he's able to just use his speed to avoid being touched. And even in those first two runs, it's more of him turning toward the sideline and running fast than making any quick cuts or changes of direction in traffic.

Knile Davis is a good comparison, IMO, whom I actually like as a runner. The difference being that Knile is much bigger, as you pointed out, and even faster.

You should rewatch the whole thing. Those first two runs are about the only ones he broke any tackles. I didn't go into that expecting to see anything. Rewatch the video and look how many gaping holes he runs through or how many times he's able to just use his speed to avoid being touched. And even in those first two runs, it's more of him turning toward the sideline and running fast than making any quick cuts or changes of direction in traffic.

Knile Davis is a good comparison, IMO, whom I actually like as a runner. The difference being that Knile is much bigger, as you pointed out, and even faster.
Sorry about the expectation comment, as I said, I included myself, it was more a comment on the realities of subjective perception as I see things. You mean you literally never saw him run before seeing this clip? Speaking only for myself, if I have seen RBs before, it would be difficult to come in with absolutely no preconcieved expectations.

That is the great thing about the board and threads like these, others can filter through different subjective perceptions, and sometimes a consensus emerges. He showed elusiveness on the third run also, imo one reason he wasn't touched, and it was in the middle of the field (albeit subtle angles, but revealing vision and instincts about how the play was going to unfold and where he needed to be at different times to split multiple defenders). Fast runners can get to the sideline, even in the NFL. I did note Davis is probably faster as well as bigger (technically Coleman's foot injury precluded an official 40 time at the combine, but I think Davis clocked a sub-4.4 which is stupid at 230 lbs., and that would be a very high, and unlikely bar to best). But I think Coleman may be more elusive and not as straightlinish, so that could compensate for not being as big.

Couldn't pull the trigger on Coleman sitting at 1.11 begging to be drafted. Traded the pick for 2.2 and 2.8.

I wouldn't take him there either. I'm sitting at ten and really hoping he goes before I pick.

Perriman, Dgb or Agholor for me all the way at 10.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Nero said:
Ryan Mathews, McFadden, DeMarco, Tevin Coleman is very similar to these players, very good fit for the Shanny/Kubiak style. I don't think Freeman is.

Matt Waldman says the opposite-Freeman a better fit in that scheme.

Bring on training camp.

I wouldn't take him there either. I'm sitting at ten and really hoping he goes before I pick.

Perriman, Dgb or Agholor for me all the way at 10.
In one PPR draft took him at 1.13 when Yeldon and all those WRs were already off the board, I think.

In another non-PPR draft where RBs are pushed up and Coleman was gone at 1.13, had my pick of the first two WRs and took Perriman (off-field risk of DGB was a big concern for me, didn't want to roll the dice with a much cleaner WR like Perriman there, arguably as talented and ready to step into an already well defined, Torrey Smith-like role).

Bring on training camp.
From a link in the article Faust just posted:

NFL Draft 2015: A rebuttal of The Falcoholic's concerns regarding Tevin Coleman

"I said this last night, but I guess this group doesn't want Antone Smith running the ball either. Devonta Freeman is THE perfect zone blocking scheme back, whereas Tevin Coleman is the opposite of a zone blocking scheme back. He runs with reckless abandon without patience. That's not what we want in a ZBS back!"

Whoa, hot takes are flying back and forth in that paragraph. I know Indiana football isn't on the map nationally, but the Hoosiers have used zone blocking under coach Kevin Wilson and offensive coordinator Kevin Johns. I'm not sure how you'd classify Coleman as the opposite of a zone blocking back, because it's a scheme that plays to his strengths of finding open spaces and getting to them as quickly as possible. Here's Coleman talking to media about zone plays during the NFL Combine back in February:
This happened last year with Bishop Sankey where Waldman says that Sankey was not a good fit for the ZBS even though the Huskies primarily utilized a ZBS that Sankey was very effective in. Not only does he criticize the RB with these comments, he essentially is saying that the coaches don't know what they are doing either, because they are using players that do not fit their system and being drafted by NFL teams that use the ZBS. So this is essentially saying that the NFL scouting departments and coaching staff do not know what they are doing either.

:bs:

Bring on training camp.

"I said this last night, but I guess this group doesn't want Antone Smith running the ball either. Devonta Freeman is THE perfect zone blocking scheme back, whereas Tevin Coleman is the opposite of a zone blocking scheme back. He runs with reckless abandon without patience. That's not what we want in a ZBS back!"

Whoa, hot takes are flying back and forth in that paragraph. I know Indiana football isn't on the map nationally, but the Hoosiers have used zone blocking under coach Kevin Wilson and offensive coordinator Kevin Johns. I'm not sure how you'd classify Coleman as the opposite of a zone blocking back, because it's a scheme that plays to his strengths of finding open spaces and getting to them as quickly as possible. Here's Coleman talking to media about zone plays during the NFL Combine back in February:
This happened last year with Bishop Sankey where Waldman says that Sankey was not a good fit for the ZBS even though the Huskies primarily utilized a ZBS that Sankey was very effective in. Not only does he criticize the RB with these comments, he essentially is saying that the coaches don't know what they are doing either, because they are using players that do not fit their system and being drafted by NFL teams that use the ZBS. So this is essentially saying that the NFL scouting departments and coaching staff do not know what they are doing either.

Have to take all these evaluations and make the final call yourself. I tend to trust the NFL drafters more than a lot of fantasy evaluators.

Bring on training camp.

Sankey was piss poor last year, I don't see how that's an indictment on Waldmen's scouting ability :loco:

Matt Waldman says the opposite-Freeman a better fit in that scheme.Bring on training camp.

Sankey was piss poor last year, I don't see how that's an indictment on Waldmen's scouting ability :loco:
Seriously...what a bizarre example to use to try and prove your point. Sankey was brutal.

Here's the thing, instead of crapping on a guy why not just take his perspective as another piece of input?!

I don't get the hate spewed on this board.

Use what you want, disregard what you don't, and be merry. Life is too short.

Users who are viewing this thread