What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tevin Coleman, SF (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Tevin Coleman sat out Wednesday's training camp practice with a strained hamstring.

Coach Dan Quinn hopes Coleman will be back "soon," but we've seen soft-tissue injuries linger in skill-position players for days and sometimes weeks. Consider Coleman day-to-day for now. He can't afford an extended absence if he plans on beating out Devonta Freeman for the starting running back gig.

Source: Vaughn McClure on Twitter
Aug 5 - 12:30 PM

Rotoworld:

Tevin Coleman and Devonta Freeman's hamstring injuries are expected to sideline them for "a minimum" of two weeks.

Beat writer Vaughn McClure believes both are dealing with "Grade 1" hamstring strains. Coleman also underwent offseason surgery to repair a fractured foot, before running 4.39 at his pre-draft Pro Day. With Coleman and Freeman on the shelf, Antone Smith, Jerome Smith, Terron Ward, and Michael Ford will have to handle the running back reps at Falcons training camp.

Source: Vaughn McClure on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Falcons RB Tevin Coleman (hamstring) returned to practice on Monday.

Coleman has been sidelined since August 5. Devonta Freeman (hamstring) is also suited up for Monday's practice. Both will likely be limited, but it is a boost for the Falcons' banged-up running back corps.

Source: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter
Aug 17 - 10:19 AM

Rotoworld:

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said RBs Tevin Coleman (hamstring) and Devonta Freeman (hamstring) are game-time decisions for Friday night's game against the Jets.

Both players returned to practice on Monday after lengthy absences. Holding them out of the second preseason game would be the safe call, but the Falcons need to see what each player can do on the field. Without much time left to separate themselves in the competition, Freeman and Coleman will likely open the season in a timeshare.

Related: Devonta Freeman

Source: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter
Aug 20 - 12:18 PM

Rotoworld:

Tevin Coleman rushed eight times for 56 yards in the Falcons' preseason finale.

With Devonta Freeman (hamstring) still on the shelf, Coleman busted gains of 15 and 26 yards on Atlanta's opening drive while rotating with UDFA Terron Ward. Unfortunately, Coleman's other runs went for 5, 2, 1, 1, 3, and 2. A boom-or-bust runner at Indiana, Coleman's big-play ability is obvious but he needs to become a more consistent down-to-down player. He's likely to open the season as the 1B back behind Freeman's 1A.

Sep 3 - 9:21 PM

I don't know what this guy is going to be able to do behind that putrid OL. In college he racked up a ton of 0-2 yard gains. In the NFL, that puts you on the bench.

I am cautiously optimistic as a dynasty owner. Atlanta has a very favorable run schedule this year, especially in the first three games and again in the fantasy playoffs. If Tevin can come out and have a couple big games, he could have a nice season. It will be tough though with a crappy O-Line..........

I am cautiously optimistic as a dynasty owner. Atlanta has a very favorable run schedule this year, especially in the first three games and again in the fantasy playoffs. If Tevin can come out and have a couple big games, he could have a nice season. It will be tough though with a crappy O-Line..........
A full and health season from second-year left tackle Jake Matthews should help provide a boost in the run game in 2015. The same goes for the newly acquired Andy Levitre, who is expected to start at left guard.

What's the barometer for this guy right now? How are people feeling about him?
Im loving him as my rb4 and think he has rb2 upside... Devonta freeman was never a workhorse or designed to handle 300 touches.. Coleman could handle 250-50 imo and be a 1500 yard from scrimmage back with 40 catches and 8 -10 tds.. LOVING this news

Coleman has a great shot at pushing Freeman out of the way completely.
Yep, Matt Waldman thinks Freeman is the better scheme back, but if Coleman shines will have to wait for another opportunity and it may never come.

I don't know what this guy is going to be able to do behind that putrid OL. In college he racked up a ton of 0-2 yard gains. In the NFL, that puts you on the bench.
Against 2 of the top college defenses Ohio State(8.8 yard average) and Michigan State(8.4 average) he did very well. Still he didn't do much in preseason games.

cr8f said:
Against 2 of the top college defenses Ohio State(8.8 yard average) and Michigan State(8.4 average) he did very well. Still he didn't do much in preseason games.
4.8 YPC in preseason wasn't bad.

Freeman is pain free. Also saw something about a beat writer saying to lower expectations for Coleman. It was ESPN insider so wasn't able to see the content but I'm wondering if he hasn't looked good in practice. This matchup is not good for him because the Eagles have a great run defense and Atlanta has a really bad line with a new scheme. I have Coleman but I'm not playing him until I see the line start to gel which could make a few weeks minimum. Coleman is the ultimate boom or bust though because he only needs one crease and he can hit a home run from anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Coleman's talent but that ATL line scares the #### outta me. I'd be scared if I owned Matt Ryan as well.

Own both guys in a couple PPR leagues. Though he inspired zero confidence during the 2014 season, rolling with Freeman Week 1 if he's active (which sounds like he will be). I don't think ATL will be able to stop Philly's offense and will have to play some catchup.

That said, if you are going to play Coleman, may as well do it at home on the fast track. ATL on the road isn't pretty. Wouldn't be surprising if both guys wound up with solid PPR value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought Coleman looked pretty good. Had one real nice run in the red zone get called back that could have added to his total. Eagles run D is pretty solid, so I thought he played well.

Thought Coleman looked pretty good. Had one real nice run in the red zone get called back that could have added to his total. Eagles run D is pretty solid, so I thought he played well.
I thought he was much more physical than people gave him credit for, particularly on that run.

Maybe he's just a quick study and morphed into something new over the summer, but this scouting report seems like a whiff:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/tevin-coleman?id=2552453

WEAKNESSES Treats every carry like a sprint. Must improve run tempo and patience on stretch plays. Has to learn when to keep run play-side and improve patience to allow back-side cutback lanes to develop. Can improve as receiver out of backfield. Wasn't always in position to scan defense on screen passes, resulting in lost yardage. Pad level often a little high into contact. Not much of a tackle-breaker and allows his base to get too narrow, giving defenders a chance to end play prematurely. Less creative than most of the top-level backs in this draft. Could use more creativity once he gets to the second level.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 2 or 3 SOURCES TELL US "There are two kinds of back who are successful in this league - runners who break tackles and runners who can create for themselves. He's not either one." -- NFC running back coach "A little stiff for my taste, but he could do some real damage in a spread offense." -- AFC area scout NFL COMPARISON Darren McFadden
What they describe is not the guy we saw last night. I thought he was patient and waited for the holes to develop, and he definitely busted through a couple arm tackles. That's a pretty decent defense, and while the game flow opened things up (ATL was very effective getting Julio the ball often early), he was so much more effective than Freeman. I don't see this staying a time share RBBC, though if he has a weak area it's as a receiver.

If they didnt alternate freeman every other series, coleman couldve had a really solid night with how honest the philly d had to be considering julio

Users who are viewing this thread