What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Travis Etienne, JAX (1 Viewer)

I'm seriously thinking about him at 3 in a TE premium league and already have Kittle and Andrews and can only start 2 TEs and I need RBs.  I would most likely draft Williams or Harris at 3 if there, but if I had to choose between ETN, Pitts, and Chase, that is where it gets interesting between Chase and Pitts.
Yeah, this is about Etienne so I should stick to that, but the top five just got murkier, in my view, which affects him. Before it was like ilov80s said. Consensus was ETN/Harris/Chase in some order (pick your order) and then J. Williams. But now Pitts is banging on the door, demanding to be let in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this is about Etienne so I should stick to that, but the top five just got murkier, in my view, which affects him. Before it was like ilov80s said. Consensus was ETN/Harris/Chase in some order (pick your order) and then J. Williams. But now Pitts is banging on the door, demanding to be let in.
I'm starting to think ETN slips a little.  Not out of the top 5 however.  I can see 1) Harris, 2) Chase, 3) Pitts, as the top 3, especially in TE premium leagues 1 QB leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to think ETN slips a little.  Not out of the top 5 however.  I can see 1) Harris, 2) Chase, 3) Pitts, as the top 3, especially in TE premium leagues.
Yeah, Pitts was at seven in ADP. I've gotta think he skyrockets now. Etienne now drops, IMHO. I still hate Harris's big "23" emblazoned in the age department and have Etienne ahead of him depending on landing spot, but consensus will change after these pro days.

I looked it up. Chase has a 1.80 ADP, Harris has a 1.90 ADP, Etienne has a 3.40, Williams has a 5.40. Pitts is at seven with a 7.10, so he's got a long, long way to go to get to Chase and Harris. I bolded Etienne's because of this thread.

We should really move this into the 2021 Rookie Thread. I'll cross-post.

I still think the top four, regardless of format, are Chase, Harris, Etienne, and Williams (in any order, really).

The debate IMO is the order of next set of three - Waddle, Smith, Pitts.

I generally agree with these as dream landing spots, especially the Jets and Hubbard, whom I'd linked them to in the Jets thread for that exact reason. The need to run stretches and one cut and go in that offense might be ideal for his long speed.

But they're all pretty much dream landing scenarios, so the likelihood of it happening, as you obviously know, is unfortunately not that great. And a lot of places link Harris to MIA for some reason. Perhaps they're just blowing smoke. We'll see. I think teams are going to be really flexible with their policies about running backs this year. They're just not worth the capital investment to most teams.
Harris at 18 is if Miami decides that they are going to "load up" on playmakers on offense in the first round.  If they decide to go offense/defense here then guys like Parsons, the LB from Notre Dame, Kwitty, one of the Miami Edge rushers (etc) and then go back to offense in the second round then the RB position is wide open.

The other Miami wild card in all this is they had a bunch of second day RBs at the senior bowl, so perhaps they fell in love with one of them. (the only guy htey didn't coach, interestingly is Etienne). The bad news is they only have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and no picks in the 4th...

Why do people always assume Pittsburgh is a great landing spot, me included?  Didn't their line suck last year?
That strength may not be what it once was.

The Steelers have a long history of not using RBBC so that is definitely a plus for fantasy owners. Good organization in general is a boon to their players.

JohnnyU said:
Why do people always assume Pittsburgh is a great landing spot, me included?  Didn't their line suck last year?
Yes, great at pass-blocking but one of the worst run blocking units in the league, 31st per PFF. Bottom 5 in # of rushing attempts overall, one of the bottom teams in redzone rushes. Much was made about Ben constantly audibling to pass if a run play was called in the red-zone during the season. Also a lot of talk of how one-dimensional their offense was and it was blamed as a big reason they faded down the stretch.

Some will point to Conner and say he was the reason which I will grant he wasn’t very good (he still doesn’t have a team) but he averaged well above the team average of 3.6 at 4.3 ypc. Snell and McFarland were terrible and dragged that average way down.

Some of you are saying ETN is a straight line runner lacking wiggle. Lance Zierleins write up contradicts that observation.
And Jeremiah labeled him as "not being overly elusive in the hole" which to me is just another way of saying he lacks wiggle, and I agree.

Clemson RB Travis Etienne "wins with force and speed" as a runner, according to NFL draft analyst Lance Zierlein. 

Etienne (5'10/215) is considered by many to be one of the best running back in this draft class, along with the likes of Alabama's Najee Harris and North Carolina's Javonte Williams. And the feeling is that Etienne will be capable of contributing on all three downs at the next level. "Rampaging, loose-hipped runner who wins with force and speed," Zierlein wrote. "Etienne's scheme will create favorable boxes for him to run into at times, but his contact balance and overall will to avoid being tackled has earned plenty of tough yardage. He has average size and runs with long strides and a frenetic pace that hampers his quick-cut control and fluidity at times." Etienne has a shot at going in the first round, but it's worth noting that there haven't been multiple backs selected on Day 1 since 2018. 

SOURCE:  NFL.com

Apr 5, 2021, 3:04 PM ET

BackCAST 2021

Excerpt:

Travis Etienne, Clemson Tigers
BackCAST Score: +124.2%
RecIndex: +0.33
Similar Historical Prospects: Dalvin Cook, Reggie Bush

Travis Etienne is one of the top-rated running backs in this draft, so it is no surprise to see him top this year's projections. Although his projection falls short of some of the all-time greats, he is still an excellent prospect who is worthy of his draft status.

Etienne's best statistic is his yards per attempt. Etienne averaged 7.22 yards per carry over his college career, which is outstanding. Indeed, only three running backs in BackCAST's database had a better adjusted yards per attempt than Etienne. The metric definitely has some diminishing returns, as the three top running backs in the metric (Melvin Gordon, Darrell Henderson, and Rashaad Penny) have had mixed success. However, more efficient college running backs have succeeded at a greater rate than less efficient ones, so Etienne's success on a per-play basis is a definite plus.

Etienne's size-speed ratio also better than average. The average drafted running back is just over 215 pounds with a 4.54s 40-yard dash. Etienne weighed in at 215 pounds but was fast, running the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds.

Etienne's biggest "weakness" is that he did not dominate his backfield like other top running backs prospects in past drafts. Etienne had an AOEPS of +1.8%, which is better than average but not spectacular. Although Etienne was very efficient, Clemson gave several carries to other running backs such as Lyn-J Dixon, Chez Mellusi, Adam Choice, and others during Etienne's career.

Etienne's final plus is that he was strong in the receiving game. Even if Etienne ultimately does not pan out as a pure runner, he will likely add value as a receiver.

Does anyone see ETN dropping some in dynasty drafts?  Not so much to do with ETN, but the other players gaining hype.  How far will he drops if he does indeed drop?

Just took him at the 3.12 spot in a PPR best ball redraft. Montgomery was probably the best "vet" on the board when I took him. 

It wouldn’t shock me if he were the first back chosen in the draft. It was mentioned earlier about the Bills, and I love that fit. A wildcard landing spot could be ARI if they trade down a few spots, his explosiveness would expand their offensive attack.

I hope he doesn't ;)
I havent been paying much attention to what the usual suspects have been saying lately. I did watch Kiper McShay do their 3rd round mock draft recently. I didnt learn much from them. Its mostly just a bunch of superlatives as usual.

If anything though my radar says people are wising up to how good ETN is and that he should be the 1st RB selected as we get closer to the draft.

:goodposting:

I have the 1.2 in a PPR Zealots league and its Chase or Etienne at that spot.

Unless I just mess with my league mates and take Pitts.

NBC Sports' Peter King said the Bills could draft Clemson's Travis Etienne with the 30th pick in the NFL Draft. 

King said Etienne would be a "great puzzle piece in an offense that craves speed in the backfield." King argued that Buffalo's offense "in top-off mode," seeking a productive running back to fit the team's wildly productive offense. The Bills, just a year removed from taking Zack Moss in the second round, would have to expend quite a bit of draft capital on a position that has been very much deemphasized in their Josh Allen-led offense. Entienne profiles as a big-play back after recording 22 plays of 40 yards or more at Clemson and scoring 78 touchdowns over four years. Fantasy wise, Entienne landing in Buffalo would be short of ideal, and would make Moss and Devin Singletary undraftable in most formats. 

RELATED: 

Devin Singletary

, Zack Moss

, Buffalo Bills

SOURCE: FMIA 

Apr 26, 2021, 9:23 AM ET

I think most of the top RBs will go early to mid 2nd round in the NFL draft.  Those of you watching the draft on Thursday will probably be disappointed if you're waiting on a RB to go in the first.  it could happen toward the end, but i wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

I read one scout compared him to Clinton Portis (think Denver years before he bulked up for Gibbs) Now THAT got me  :wub:

I read one scout compared him to Clinton Portis (think Denver years before he bulked up for Gibbs) Now THAT got me  :wub:
Yep. Portis is the prototype that I am always looking for in RBs and ETN is worthy of the comparison in my opinion. I see Dalvin Cook and D'Andre Swift as being similar to Portis as well. Its perhaps more about ascetics than overall talent as other styles of RB have been successful in the NFL and FF but this is my ideal. 

Jaguars selected Clemson RB Travis Etienne with the No. 25 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. 

Etienne (5’10/215) was a four-star high school recruit and four-year starter alongside Trevor Lawrence. His on-field speed (4.44 forty) and contact balance pop on tape and led to a career 7.2 yards per carry average and 85 rushes of at least 15 yards. If things are blocked well, Etienne has the athleticism to take it to the house, but his vision and patience can come and go. He very well could be a boom-bust rusher in the NFL despite a 686-4,952-70 career rushing line at Clemson. Etienne profiles as a passing-game contributor after improving his receiving skills. He did admit to feeling uncomfortable as a receiver during his sophomore season but caught 37 and 48 passes in his junior and senior campaigns. Etienne could have an Alvin Kamara-like workload (200 carries with 50+ receptions annually) in the NFL. His selection is a death knell for James Robinson's RB2 viability, though Robinson's presence could in turn prevent Etienne from hitting the ground running in re-draft. Etienne, of course, will be the back to draft after receiving the first round stamp of approval from new coach Urban Meyer. 

Apr 29, 2021, 11:20 PM ET

Speaking Thursday evening, Jaguars coach Urban Meyer said he envisioned No. 25 overall pick Travis Etienne as his third-down back behind James Robinson and Carlos Hyde. 

Meyer referred to Robinson and Hyde as his "one-two punch." Oh no. “We wanna be top eight in the league," Meyer said. "And with James Robinson, Hyde and Etienne, we think we’re there." At least initially, Meyer seems to be regarding Etienne as the "speed guy" he often had at Florida and Ohio State. That would be a criminal underuse of Etienne's talent — talent that induced Meyer to use a first-round pick on a running back — but Meyer has predictably entered the league with his "college guy" guns blazing. A balanced and patient runner, Etienne certainly has the skills to succeed on early downs. Even if Meyer is serious about limiting Etienne to third downs to begin his career, there is no way that is going to last long. 

SOURCE: Mia O'Brien on Twitter 

Apr 29, 2021, 11:38 PM ET

Arguably the worst pick of round 1. Jags had like 3 positions they didn't have a need at, so naturally they spend a 1st at one of them. Maybe they are hoping for a McAllister/Bush type thing, but man, feels like a reach for the player, and a terrible use of resources. 

Users who are viewing this thread