What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tyrion Davis-Price, SF (1 Viewer)

King of the Jungle

Footballguy
This guy is growing on me and think he may hold the best value in rookie drafts. Stocky, well built back who always gains extra yards after contact. He also has good speed for his size and was considered one of the better pass protecting running backs in the draft. Shanahan loves to run the ball and Mitchell missed time last year. For where you can get him in rookie drafts I think he holds a lot of upside.

Last edited by a moderator:
He seems to be gaining traction by some analysts as a possible darkhorse.  Greg Cosell likes him quite a bit and sees him as a good scheme fit.

As a Sermon owner, I'd like to see Sermon get cut and go elsewhere...Shanny hates Sermon which bodes well for TDP.

I'm pretty sure the play they're referring to is this one, his 37-yard run on 4th & 1 against Alabama with 8:05 left in the game.

Going by frame count, it looks to me like he gets up to 19mph, maybe 19.5, on that play. Which is not very fast. I have Isaiah Spiller, Treylon Burks, and Jameson Williams all getting over 21 mph (and those are the only other 3 plays I've looked at).

(I have him progressing downfield at about 18mph, 17 frames to go each 5 yards on a 30 fps video, between the 30 and 15 yard lines. He's angling towards the sideline, going maybe 5 or 6 yards horizontally along with those 15 yards downfield, which makes his speed something like 1.05x or 1.08x that 18mph.)

So I don't get how the Niners think that this Davis-Price's speed on this play "was among the top five speeds of any of the runners in the draft."

Not sure if he will be the next Mitchell, the next Sermon, or someone in between. But it would be foolish to ignore this guy in drafts considering the historical revolving door at the SF RB position. If I'm a Mitchell owner, I'd make sure to get this guy on my team.

Not sure if he will be the next Mitchell, the next Sermon, or someone in between. But it would be foolish to ignore this guy in drafts considering the historical revolving door at the SF RB position. If I'm a Mitchell owner, I'd make sure to get this guy on my team.

Could not agree more...he has nice size, played for a high-end program (LSU) where he just ran for 1,000 yards and was a 3rd round pick by a team that usually runs the ball very well...he is far from a definite but that right there should catch any Dynasty owners attention yet he definitely seems to be flying under the radar...I was real surprised how low I got him in both my leagues.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-the-49ers-drafted-tyrion-davis-price

This article pretty much explains the role they envisioned him for.  Deebo doesn't want to run, Mitchell is a fast one cut zone runner like they've always used in SF, and TDP is better for power runs which they're mixing in more often.  

Here's what Kevin Faulk (his college rb coach) said after they drafted him

“I think he fits in with the other guys they have there, especially Elijah. I just think those two guys will complement each other real well.”

It sounds to me like he wasn't drafted to compete for the starting job, but as a change of pace/complementary back.  He might end up being so good he earns the starting job, but they're not likely to change their offense to suit him.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-the-49ers-drafted-tyrion-davis-price

This article pretty much explains the role they envisioned him for.  Deebo doesn't want to run, Mitchell is a fast one cut zone runner like they've always used in SF, and TDP is better for power runs which they're mixing in more often.  

Here's what Kevin Faulk (his college rb coach) said after they drafted him

“I think he fits in with the other guys they have there, especially Elijah. I just think those two guys will complement each other real well.”

It sounds to me like he wasn't drafted to compete for the starting job, but as a change of pace/complementary back.  He might end up being so good he earns the starting job, but they're not likely to change their offense to suit him.  
speculating on what shanny is gonna do based on what a different coach said? I think the intention is likely what the niners do every year and bring in several guys

I think the intention is likely what the niners do every year and bring in several guys

Agree with this which is why I like kid this year (especially for where you can get him as I think he will get the opportunity) but would deal him next offseason if he hits because Shanny makes me very nervous.

speculating on what shanny is gonna do based on what a different coach said? I think the intention is likely what the niners do every year and bring in several guys
No that quote was from a completely different article.  

The article i linked has quotes from Shanahan and discusses why they drafted him

TYRION DAVIS-PRICE RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

ESPN's Nick Wagoner writes that third-round RB Tyrion Davis-Price is a good bet to emerge as a top two option in the backfield.

Wagoner is thus projecting Davis-Price to beat out Jeff Wilson for the main backup job, as well as other stragglers like Trey Sermon and JaMycal Hasty. We saw this show last year with Sermon, so it's likely that nobody will actually buy on this statement until the moment the opening depth chart is actually settled. But it's notable that Wagoner believes it this early in the process. Both Sermon and Wilson still make the roster in Wagoner's early 53-man projection. 

RELATED: 

Jeff Wilson

, Trey Sermon

SOURCE: ESPN

Jun 21, 2022, 3:42 PM ET

If you did happen to take Elijah Mitchell and if you have the roster space then Davis-Price makes some sense at the end of your bench as perhaps RB5, pretty cheap insurance for the SF backfield and I feel like Wilson much like Mostert is not in the long term plans. He's been good when he is available but I don't think they view Wilson as any type of long term solution in their back field.

I hope Davis-Price doesn't have to shoulder too big of a load this season but as long as Mitchell gets around the same touch total per game he got last year, plenty of carries to go around with a young QB who won't be asked to throw all over the place.

Certainly the Davis-Price stock has to move from say pennies to maybe $1 a share now?

If you did happen to take Elijah Mitchell and if you have the roster space then Davis-Price makes some sense at the end of your bench as perhaps RB5, pretty cheap insurance for the SF backfield and I feel like Wilson much like Mostert is not in the long term plans. He's been good when he is available but I don't think they view Wilson as any type of long term solution in their back field.

I hope Davis-Price doesn't have to shoulder too big of a load this season but as long as Mitchell gets around the same touch total per game he got last year, plenty of carries to go around with a young QB who won't be asked to throw all over the place.

Certainly the Davis-Price stock has to move from say pennies to maybe $1 a share now?
And this is what makes owning SF backs so much fun.

Everyone has already anointed Jordan Mason the heir to the throne in the other thread.

Last edited:

Everyone has already anointed Jordan Mason the heir to the throne in the other thread.

If you own one you need to own three of them...Shanny is not gonna make this easy and I would be shocked if he doesn't add another quality one next offseason regardless of how these guys do.

If you own one you need to own three of them...Shanny is not gonna make this easy and I would be shocked if he doesn't add another quality one next offseason regardless of how these guys do.
4, including Wilson.

Let's focus on 2022 :lol:
I'm with you and agree but I need Mitchell for as much as I can get out of him in '22. I agree you need a back up but I would like to see who the official No 2 is. Wilson is like Mostert at this point, just cannot stay healthy and when he was in the games last year it wasn't anything as special as what he flashed in years prior. I'm surprised he is still on the team but it won't shock me when he is injured or inactive for whatever reasons.

There's always 1-2 behind the RB ready to jump in but I want to stress that when you look at Mitchell last year, his last 5 starts in the regular season saw carry totals North of 20 per game, that's good stuff. This is not an RBBC is Mitchell is 100%...or 95%...or 90%, but below that and yeah we start getting RBBC and when are there not injuries in the SF backfield?

Let's focus on 2022 :lol:
I'm with you and agree but I need Mitchell for as much as I can get out of him in '22. I agree you need a back up but I would like to see who the official No 2 is. Wilson is like Mostert at this point, just cannot stay healthy and when he was in the games last year it wasn't anything as special as what he flashed in years prior. I'm surprised he is still on the team but it won't shock me when he is injured or inactive for whatever reasons.

There's always 1-2 behind the RB ready to jump in but I want to stress that when you look at Mitchell last year, his last 5 starts in the regular season saw carry totals North of 20 per game, that's good stuff. This is not an RBBC is Mitchell is 100%...or 95%...or 90%, but below that and yeah we start getting RBBC and when are there not injuries in the SF backfield?

I agree that Mitchell is absolutely the one to own (and looked very good last year) but both Mason and Davis-Price were not there last year so who knows what Shanny is thinking...Mitchell has proven to be far from durable in his short time and if he gets dinged again maybe Shanny says screw it with him...I only do Dynasty so my plan is to add these guys if I have room/opportunity and move on from them as soon as the return is decent...no way would I ever rely on them long-term...just too much room for error.

As a Mitchell owner in redraft trying to figure out which backup to own, I think I am finally accepting that it is Jeff Wilson.

Between Mitchell & Wilson they will probably start 13-16 games rendering both TDP & Mason useless in 2022.

Didn't get to watch the game, his numbers looked pretty bad though. The opportunity was there which has to be a positive.

49ers RB Tyrion Davis-Price has been diagnosed with a high-ankle sprain and will be sidelined for a "few weeks."​

The third-round rookie played 30 snaps behind Jeff Wilson's 37 in the Week 2 win over the Seahawks, but TDP was bottled up for 33 yards on 14 carries. He killed the clock for the Niners in the final minutes. With Davis-Price and Elijah Mitchell (knee) now out multiple weeks, look for UDFA rookie Jordan Mason to tag-team the 49ers' backfield with Wilson the next few weeks.
RELATED:
SOURCE: David Lombardi on Twitter
Sep 19, 2022, 6:33 PM ET

Sounds like Mason or someone else is going to be in line for some touches

San Fran loses a RB just about every week
Truth! A couple of years ago, I had Mostert, Coleman, Wilson and Hasty on one fantasy team and they were all injured at the same time. Now, I have TDP and Mason. Looks like Mason is going to get a shot at some point.

Didn't get to watch the game, his numbers looked pretty bad though. The opportunity was there which has to be a positive.
He didn’t look great in preseason either. He doesn’t have an explosive burst or seem to run through anyone. I’m surprised he got the snaps he did last week, and got the exact poor results I would expect. I would not roster him in any capacity in redraft, even in an IR spot because there are better IR options.

Tyrion Davis-Price (ankle) was listed as full on Wednesday's practice report.​

Davis-Price was expected to practice on Wednesday, but the full designation is a strong sign he will be ready to return Sunday against the Falcons. Considering he handled 14 carries before suffering an ankle injury back in Week 2, Davis-Price's return could be bad news for Jeff Wilson's carry share.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jennifer Lee Chan on Twitter
Oct 12, 2022, 4:34 PM ET

The Athletic's Matt Barrows writes 49ers coaches "seem to be much more enthusiastic" about Tyrion Davis-Price than they were about Trey Sermon.​

Davis-Price lost time to a high-ankle sprain this season and was completely toppled out of fantasy play by the acquisition of Christian McCaffrey. Jordan Mason's small sample size work has also given him a real competitor for run behind McCaffrey and Elijah Mitchell. It's great news that the 49ers don't seem likely to cut bait on Davis-Price, but the backfield situation ahead of him makes it hard for him to have fantasy value in 2023 without injuries ahead of him.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Feb 21, 2023, 1:15 PM ET

He's a lock for the 53 man, and at some point IMO he will be RB2 given Mitchell's injury history.

Davis Price is "a man on a mission"

Davis Price continues to impress San Francisco 49ers coaches. The second-year running back produced only 99 rushing yards on 34 carries through 70 total offensive snaps during his rookie 2022 campaign. That has served as motivation to turn things around this season.

"I think hes taken a huge jump since last year," head coach Kyle Shanahan recently told reporters. "just how good he was the first day we saw him in terms of his stamina, how he's running, understanding the offense, what we want out of him more. I thought he had a great OTAs, and he's come back, and he's even having a better training camp."

The 49ers' offensive line and run game coordinator, Chris Foerster, recently praised Davis-Price's improvement from a year ago, saying that it was "all coming together" for the young running back. On Saturday, the coach continued praising Davis-Price's efforts.

"Its unreal right now," Foerster said of the back's progress. "Last year, he looked good early. He looked good when we didn't have the pads on. And then all of a sudden, as we started playing games, different things happened during the course of the year. It just wasn't as good. He, right now, looks like a man on a mission.

"He's fun to watch. You see all the things we saw when we drafted him. He just gets to the open field. He's a load. He's fast. He's seeing things better. He just understands the offense better. Everything about him [has improved]."

"It's almost night and day," center Jake Brendel said of Davis-Price. "It's pretty wild how much he's progressed."

I'm starting to think Mitchell could be moved before the season and TDP and Mason being the backup RBs

Davis Price and Mason have both looked good in camp (other than Mason having a few fumbles early), and Mitchell is hurt yet again.

With the 49ers working out several RBs today, the writing is on the wall IMO. They just can't count on Mitchell, I could see them maybe getting a 5th round pick for him.

With the 49ers working out several RBs today

Who'd they work out? I just picked up Tyrion Davis-Price for six bucks in a dynasty auction (it's not that much and I was surprised given all the recent hullabaloo to have gotten him so cheaply) so I'm an interested party to Mitchell's injuries, who they brought in, etc.

With the 49ers working out several RBs today

Who'd they work out? I just picked up Tyrion Davis-Price for six bucks in a dynasty auction (it's not that much and I was surprised given all the recent hullabaloo to have gotten him so cheaply) so I'm an interested party to Mitchell's injuries, who they brought in, etc.

Thanks, Wingnut. Those are some rough names. But Duke Johnson for the win, baby!

He won't ever go away and we don't want him to.

Thanks, Wingnut. Those are some rough names. But Duke Johnson for the win, baby!

He won't ever go away and we don't want him to.

Whoever they bring in isn't gonna make the final 53 IMO, they just need a body while Mitchell is out. They have a couple other RBs they like and would prob keep over anybody they sign at this point.

Whoever they bring in isn't gonna make the final 53 IMO

Yeah, I did a bit of a dive into SF today because of TDP. He's actually on the roster bubble according to some sources. They called him on the "strong bubble" along with Mason. The author indicated that Mitchell would make the team.

Not to contradict your analysis too much, but do you really think they'd shop Mitchell for a fifth-round pick? He's exactly what you hope for with a fifth-rounder. A speedy guy who pops at the next level of play from college. I know he's hurt all the time, but wouldn't it be more likely they abide his injuries? I don't know if they could get a fifth-rounder and what's the net benefit to them? It would seem that the player, when healthy, brings more to the table than a fifth.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Whoever they bring in isn't gonna make the final 53 IMO

Yeah, I did a bit of a dive into SF today because of TDP. He's actually on the roster bubble according to some sources. They called him on the "strong bubble" along with Mason. The author indicated that Mitchell would make the team.

Not to contradict your analysis too much, but do you really think they'd shop Mitchell for a fifth-round pick? He's exactly what you hope for with a fifth-rounder. A speedy guy who pops at the next level of play from college. I know he's hurt all the time, but wouldn't it be more likely they abide his injuries? I don't know if they could get a fifth-rounder and what's the net benefit to them? It would seem that the player, when healthy, brings more to the table than fifth.

Just my thoughts.
IMO there is less than zero chance TDP doesn't make the final 53. He's absolutely showed out at camp and I could post 10 diff links with coaches and team mates gushing about him.

As for Mitchell, I don't really know what they could get or would take. Given his injury history I dont see getting much for him. He had 200 carries his rookie year (missed 6 games) and last season he had a whopping 45 carries and missed 12 games.

I doubt Mitchell is going anywhere, but it wouldn't surprise me if they move him. If he misses significant time again (and he prob will), TDP and Mason will pass him on the depth chart.

Per Barrows:

The 49ers signed RB Jeremy McNichols, who was with them during the 2017 season and 2018 offseason, and waived rookie RB Ronald Awatt.

IMO this signing is for Sundays game. We prob won't see any of the top 4 RBs, so they will need 2 for the game. That leaves McNichols and UDFA Khalan Laborn.

I may have jumped the gun on envisioning a Mitchell trade, but I still think Davis Price will be RB2 sooner than later and will finish the season with more touches than Mitchell.

I just picked up Tyrion Davis-Price for six bucks in a dynasty auction (it's not that much and I was surprised given all the recent hullabaloo to have gotten him so cheaply)
This is why he is so cheap: When I read the latest about him, I had to check my dynasty roster, cause I wasn't sure if I cut him or not.

If you told me in December he fell down a well and that's where he'd been since Sept, I would have believed you.

Jack Hammer
Can we take a moment to step away from the #49ers QB drama and recognize that Ty Davis-Price is an absolute liability in pass protection?

Spider Rico
Like, Lawrence Phillips bad?

Jack Hammer
He makes Lawrence Phillips look good.

Users who are viewing this thread