What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RBs to Exploit and Avoid Week 8 (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Last week I started getting on my soapbox a bit and the reaction and subsequent PMs were pretty definitive. It would appear that many of you want to simply read the analysis and could do without the personal life opinions.

And it got me thinking…What should I do?

Should I admit that I made mistakes? Should I remind you that I have done this thread before? Hit search and get a history lesson; what should I do?

Should I tell you how much fun we had? Should I really believe I ruined my board cred? What should I do, What should I do, What should I do?

Should I have my sig removed? Wanna see my shiny n:e:w avatar? Or should I tell you "I am not a role model?" (Bites down on a bratwurst) Hi Truck! :loco:

Seriously, what should I do?

Should I tell you I'm a staff chaser? Did it for the board cred? Prestige? What should I do?

Should I be who you want me to be? Should I accept my role…as a "Hawk"? :crazy: (Whispers)...maybe I should just disappear.

-You're a tool! –You're a two timer!! -You're what Tim is to the FFA!!! Should I stop listening to my "friends"?

Should I try writing full time for FBG?

Jason Wood: Just got to deal with the SP man…be patient, after a while the temperature drops, and then everything is free n easy.

MOP: Should I be writing this down?

Wood: Uh-huh

Should I make you laugh? Should I read you a thoughtful poem?...You may shoot me with your emoticons or cut me with your posts but still I rise like the Holy Ghost.

Or should we just clear the SP and start anew? Coming thru!!! :shock:

What should I do?

Should I be who YOU want me to be?

Just read it.

Denver (2-5) at San Fran (1-6) (-1) (42)

It's getting to be that point in the season despite the parity around the league that some teams are going to start thinking about their tee times in the off season. Denver was torched by Oakland suffering one of their worst defeats in franchise history. Now they go on the road and take on another underperforming team that has not met expectations and despite playing in a very soft division are almost out of the playoff hunt. The Niners are starting Troy Smith. Let me repeat the Niners are starting Troy Smith…cue the Troy Smith SP hype machine; COME GET YOU SOME!!!

Knowshon Moreno – I'm reading he might be hurt again. The guy has yet to top 60 yds rushing in a game and although he had a couple scores last week in fact 4 TDs in the 4 games he has played…despite all that no owner can really be happy or want to start this guy with much confidence. I look for Denver to take to the air and do what they do best this week, lose football games…no throw the football.

Frank Gore – Is having a solid if not spectacular season for most owners. He has rushed for 149 and 102 the past 2 weeks. He has 37/340/2TDs catching the ball on the season. He's on pace for about 700 yards receiving right now. I don't think the match up makes much difference and Gore should see plenty of touches this week.

Final Score: Denver 23…San Fran 17

Jacksonville (3-4) at Dallas (1-5) (-6.5) (42.5)…line opened at Dallas -11 if you can imagine

Both of these teams know their season is over basically halfway into the season. Watching Romo lay there Monday Night was agonizing for many owners and it's hard to imagine with all the talent that Dallas has their season start off this bad. The Jags are gawd awful at stopping the pass and even a rusty Jon Kitna is going to look like a HoF candidate this week. Plus Jax doesn't travel very well west of the Mississippi.

MJD – Oh you should play him. Last week he had 125 total yards, 5 receptions and a TD even if the Jags did get pounded for much of the day. He might not be a weekly green light on here but he is worth a start.

Felix/MB III – Do yourself a favor and just bench these guys for now. We can guess that Dallas will win pretty easily but trying to figure out which back is going to do well is impossible. Barber took to the field to start the game. Apparently Felix is not good enough to carry the ball in the red zone. I really didn't know either of them had defined roles. Waste of space just like last season.

Final Score: Dallas 24…Jacksonville 13

Washington (4-3) at Detroit (1-5) (-2.5) (44)

I am not a big fan of the Skins and what I mean is like so many other teams in the NFL right now they are a flimsy 4-3 team. A poser if you want to call it that. Not trying to upset the fan base but Washington is not a strong playoff team, a work in progress I would say. Detroit comes in trying to get Matt Stafford back in the cuts. This poor guy has been injured a lot since entering the NFL. Not sure it's his fault but Shaun Hill has made his return a lot tougher.

Ryan Torain – 5.5 ypc his last 2 games. No threat to catch the ball but looking ahead on the schedule you have PHI, @TN, MN, @NYG, TB, @Dall, @Jax…kind of a mixed bag. If you can upgrade I would consider trading this guy as Portis will eventually be healthy and then you might see more of a split. Right now he is the only real RB threat they have.

Jahvid Best – his last 4 games on the ground look like this…26, 50, 67, and a whopping 16 last time. A humongous 3 yards per carry. 5 TDs in his 1st 2 weeks; oh my how things have slowed down in Detroit. His upcoming schedule includes NYJ, @Buff, @Dall, NE, CHI, GB…there might be an owner out there willing to give you something for this guy and since last week was a bye you might be able to trade him for something better. It's just a thought but I understand you guys only compete in the sharkiest of shark leagues so perhaps it's a stretch.

Final Score: Washington 17…Detroit 16

Green Bay (4-3) at NY Jets (5-1) (-6) (42)

The Jets may only have 1 more win right now but they are a much better overall balanced team. And all things considered the Jets have the #2 defense behind Pittsburgh right now. And their offense is arguably in the top 10. Green Bay is top10 in offense but lacks a solid running game however their team defense has been falling and is probably middle of the road at best right now. Look for the Jets to exploit the rush defense of Green Bay which has allowed 150 and 196 yards on the ground the last 2 games…that won't get it done against the Jets coming off a bye week and starting to feel really good about themselves. I'll be shocked if Green Bay wins this game. Green Bay has allowed 125+ rush yards in 5 of their 7 contests if you need to go back further and the Jets have one of the best rush attacks in the league.

Brandon Jackson – His last 3 games are pretty solid with 10/115+5/25, 12/53+3/29, and 13/58/TD+3/46…he's a great flex option and although this is a tough match up I look for him to be a nice dump off for Rodgers when he gets in trouble. In PPR leagues you should not be disappointed this week.

LaDainian Tomlinson – Last 3 games he has lit it up with 19/133/2TDs, 20/94, and 16/55/2TDs plus he is avg about 3 receptions per week although for minimal yards. No reason to bench him but I also believe the Jets want to keep him fresh for the playoff stretch and if they don't keep him in the 15-17 range I think they might burn him out.

Shonn Greene – I was extremely critical of him preseason and for good reason. Now I am starting to warm up to him and I like the fact he is a super buy low. Some idiot in one my guppie leagues cut him and I was all too happy to pick him up.(Who the bleep cares MOP?) He's a risky start and maybe the Jets won't clobber Green Bay but anytime the Jets are ahead this guy is a lock to see more touches. I have a feeling he is going to have a bust out game very soon perhaps even this weekend.

Final Score: New York 30…Green Bay 20

Carolina (1-5) at St Louis (3-4) (-3) (43.5)

Do not mistake Carolina winning last week as things being turned around. Carolina managed to beat San Fran and that was once Alex Smith hit the decks and nothing was really left. I do not expect Carolina to make a run or get on a run. St Louis lost a heart breaker to the Bucs but have played well at home, something I expect to continue this week.

DWill and JStew – Look at the IR, some were reporting that DeAngelo might be ailing. The wisest thing is to leave these guys on your bench. Sure, the Rams are allowing 4.6 ypc but have allowed 64, 89, 79, and then 124 the past 4 weeks so they aren't giving away the farm and you have 2 backs that compete in Carolina. Stewart has been terrible and the last 2 weeks has posted 8/30 and 14/29 so if you start him because of DeAngelo you are taking a huge risk.

Steven Jackson – 6 Tds in his last 22 games…those are not stud numbers. We might all feel he is a great NFL RB and manages to top 100 yds rushing quite a bit but what does 10 points do for you week in and week out? 22, 25, 29, and 22…his number of carries the last 4 games. His last 3 he has racked 114, 109, and 110/TD…wish he was more of a factor in the passing game.

Final Score: St Louis 21…Carolina 17

Miami (3-3) at Cincinnati (2-4) (-2) (43.5)

Miami is 3-0 on the road. Miami is 0-3 at home. They are on the road this week therefore they win in Cincinnati. This insight brought to you by the T.Ocho show…when you're faded or drunk and need some entertainment to keep you laughing turn to the T.Ocho show. We can't run routes but we can sure run your TV viewing experience as the colortinis fly thru the air. (Some of you got that)

Ronnie and Ricky – Miami seems incapable of really running with authority or getting either of their backs in a groove this season. Usually that means breakout but Ronnie and Ricky split everything and even when Miami runs for 150 yards which they might this weekend(4.5 ypc-Cinci), it still gets cut up and both backs are pretty much useless to FF owners.

Cedric Benson – Very costly fumble last week. No TDs in his last 3 games either. Miami only allows 3.8 ypc and have not been allowing many backs to rack it up on them. Still Benson doesn't have anyone pushing him right now for touches.

Final Score: Miami 20…Cincinnati 17

Buffalo (0-6) at Kansas City (4-2) (-7.5) (46)

Despite Buffalo trying very hard and the emergence of a passing game with Ryan, Lee and lil Stevie Johnson I am not buying into them as a professional franchise just yet. The Chiefs are going to literally run the Buffalo Bills out of Arrowhead this weekend. Buffalo is giving up 4.8 ypc and 174 yds on the ground for the season but it gets even better for Charles and Jones owners. The last 4 weeks they have allowed 200, 273, 216, and then 135 last week. Kansas City is going to blow holes through their line big enough to fit the Chrysler building through it. Buffalo is going to feel like they went in for a rigid sigmoidoscopy when the Chiefs are done with them this weekend. (Dennis Wolfberg ref)

Fred Jackson – The Bills are going to be behind for much of the game so unless they get close to the end zone and decide to run it I don't see Jackson being a big contributor. His last 2 games were 12/73 and 23/73, only 1 TD on the season. Chan Gailey has not been able to make the RB spot viable for any FF owners.

Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones – Start them both this weekend. I look for both to approach 100 yds and a score, Charles could have a humongous day and I think he'll get loose for some huge gains in this game. Everything is set up for a major day possibly for both backs. 300 yards rushing by KC is on the table this week, believe it.

Final Score: Kansas City 34…Buffalo 17

Tennessee (5-2) at San Diego (2-5) (-3.5) (44)

Amazing that the Bolts are favored again this week. I guess Vegas and the general public just will not learn this season. The Bolts have great stats but simply cannot win games. The Titans come in and are winning games but not in the way you might imagine. Chris Johnson has struggled to gain yards and San Diego has allowed an avg of 77 yds on the ground the past 6 weeks. My question is if the competition was up to par. In fact I also wonder if the team has had their backs broken at this point and might not have the same fire earlier in the season?

Chris Johnson – I would have to guess another subpar performance and a long trip by this team across country. Last game before his bye week, would be great to see him do well but he has not had as many multiple TD games or long runs like he did a year ago.

San Diego RBs – We found out that all of them are situational. Mathews between the 20s, Tolbert for short yardage and goal line, and Sproles is the guy when they are in pass mode. I'll throw this one up for the SP to discuss.

Final Score: Tennessee 24…San Diego 20

Tampa Bay (4-2) at Arizona (3-3) (-3) (39.5)

Tampa Bay is really not a great football team, not nearly as sound as Raheem Morris would like you to believe however they are going to face Max Hall who is absolutely the worst starting QB in the NFL right now. He looked like a HS reject last week in Seattle. The Bucs unfortunately give up huge amounts of rushing yards per week including 201, 149, 212, and 161 the past 4 weeks…OUCH!!!

LaGarrette Blount – I probably spelled it wrong but Blount had 10/72 a weeks ago. Cadillac cannot do much except catch the ball which actually he is pretty good at and should be switched to the slot WR on this club. AZ is not very good at stopping the run with 133+ rushing yards in 4 of their last 5 games but look for Josh Freeman to take to the air this week and the Bucs to do most of their damage throwing the ball.

Chris Wells and Tim Hightower – Yes both of them. They have stunk most weeks but I expect Coach Whis to call it close to the vest and get this team to 4-3 by pounding the football. Again we can discuss more in detail but this is one of those weeks where the matchup is just too juicy to pass up.

Final Score: Arizona 21…Tampa Bay 19

Seattle (4-2) at Oakland (3-4) (-2) (42)

When is the last time Oakland was 4-4 after 8 weeks in the season? Seattle has a pretty good sound rush defense but I question most of the backs they have stopped outside of Frank Gore. The Seahawks were lethargic at times last week and it just feels much like the Bucs that they are a fraud 4-2 team. The Raiders meanwhile on rush defense are Jeckyl and Hyde where they go from 205 to 75 the next week, 249 down to 91, and finally 158 down to 75 last week. You really are not sure which team shows up on defense from week to week.

Marshawn Lynch – He's slow. I did the game recap last week for Seattle/AZ (Look at me) and one thing I took away from Lynch is that he has very little burst. And if Okung is not playing, he really becomes a nonfactor. I'm sure many including myself are forced to use him this week but anything more than 8 or 9 points and I would be doing cartwheels. If this were a home game I would be more optimistic but the Black Hole should be rocking after a 59-14 drubbing of Denver last week.

Justin Forsett – Like him in the flex and like the fact he isn't being asked to do more than 8-10 carries but still reel in some passes. That is well suited to his game.

Darren McFadden – You cannot sit this guy the rest of the season unless there are serious signs he is ailing form injury. Explosive is the word I would use right now. He is catching a lot of defenses off guard and I think he might be the 1st back to really blow thru some of Seattle's rush defense. This will be a great test for both teams.

Michael Bush – not so much this week.

Final Score: Oakland 21…Seattle 20

Minnesota (2-4) at New England (5-1) (-6) (44)

Brett Favre sent me a text with pictures of his hairline fractured ankle this week and considering the damage it didn't look nearly as large as I thought it would. OK, that was bad I admit it but the PBR is flowing and I'm starting to drift a bit. (C'mon MOP, buckle down you got 3 games left!)

New England's offense is rough right now. What is winning these games for the Pats? Leadership, plain and simple. It's not going to be enough to take them on a deep playoff run but this team does whatever Coach Bill tells them to. If he tells them they can walk on water by gawd you better believe they believe they can do it. They have a 125 lb RB that runs up the middle, no deep WR threat, rookie TEs, a patch work OL, and a QB that needs a haircut, enough of that Heidi Klum look…can't tell if he's gonna break the huddle or grab a set of pom poms.

Adrian Peterson – "They're gonna stack the line, 12 in a box, he won't be able to do anything", blah blah blah. All Day is a stud and even when they know he's coming he is going to find yards. Don't discount Minnesota, they thrive on chaos and that is exactly what they have right now.

Woody/BJGE – Woody is Ok as a flex and the other guy I would leave on your bench. New England is going to need a big day from Brady to pull this out on Sunday.

Final Score: Minnesota 24…New England 20… 1-2 Moss is coming for you, 3-4 hear owners roar, 5-6 get your superfix, 7-8 don't you hate, 9-10 DBs never sleep again.

Pittsburgh (5-1) at New Orleans (4-3) (-1) (44)

The Steelers are good. They managed to line the pockets of Goodell, the refs, the replay booth, oh I kid the Steelers. I'm a jealous Miami fan please forgive me. Pittsburgh IMO is right there with the Jets and it's really a 2 horse race to see which of these two get to the Super Bowl. If Big Ben hoists that trophy in February and grabs an MVP in the Super Bowl after all the off season stuff…can you really expect him to walk the straight and narrow for 6 months? It just would not surprise me. Meanwhile the Saints are having a ton of problems right now with their running game and also cannot make big plays in the passing game consistently. Meachem, Henderson, and Moore might want to watch Mr Wallace this week who doesn't get to play inside a dome very often and I expect him to go long a lot in this game.

Rashard Mendenhall – Certainly disappointing last week but he can have 100 yds and a TD almost any week so you would always want to start him.

Thomas, Bush, Ivory, The College of Charleston, Betts, and Julius Jones – You can see why they have problems right now as injuries have riddled their back field and the remaining backs are very inconsistent. Despite Aaron Smith being out for some time I do not expect the Steelers to get run on by the Saints.

Final Score: Pittsburgh 28…New Orleans 21

Houston (4-2) at Indianapolis (3-3) (-5.5) (50)

If the Texans want to make the playoffs they need to win this game even they took game 1 in Houston earlier this year. Indy is a mess on offense and has injuries galore; there is no time like this week to put 2 games between them and the Super Bowl runner up of a year ago. These 2 teams combine for huge chunks of yards most of the time and despite some injuries I think the running game of Houston will dictate the pace of this game and force Indy into a corner.

Adrian Foster – Despite everyone hating on the Colts run defense they have held teams to 120 or less 4 out of 6 games this year. Unfortunately the 250+ they gave up was to Arian Foster and the Texans in week 1. A repeat of week 1? Why not?

Mike Hart – Addai could be out a month or he could make a guest appearance. I am putting my money on Hart but mostly as a check down option in the passing game as Indy will have to throw the ball a good deal in this game. Brown is also injured right now so the only back left is Hart.

Final Score: Houston 27…Indy 24

I hope you enjoyed the thread this week, good luck everyone!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Carolina (1-5) at St Louis (3-4) (-3) (43.5)

Do not mistake Carolina winning last week as things being turned around. Carolina managed to beat San Fran and that was once Alex Smith hit the decks and nothing was really left. I do not expect Carolina to make a run or get on a run. St Louis lost a heart breaker to the Bucs but have played well at home, something I expect to continue this week.

DWill and JStew – Look at the IR, some were reporting that DeAngelo might be ailing. The wisest thing is to leave these guys on your bench. Sure, the Rams are allowing 4.6 ypc but have allowed 64, 89, 79, and then 124 the past 4 weeks so they aren’t giving away the farm and you have 2 backs that compete in Carolina. Stewart has been terrible and the last 2 weeks has posted 8/30 and 14/29 so if you start him because of DeAngelo you are taking a huge risk.
FBG has JStew ranked #7 in non-PPR this week (obviously assuming Williams will sit). I've been looking for a reason to get Blount into my lineup . . . I may have just found it.

I like Felix Jones this week in PPR........Dallas stinks, but after that Monday showing, they want some self respect and dignity and will show up Home VS Jags who are on the road for 2nd week in a row.

Just curious--- where is the College of Charleston reference coming from or what does it mean! I went there and was shocked to see you mention it!!!

Just curious--- where is the College of Charleston reference coming from or what does it mean! I went there and was shocked to see you mention it!!!
There used to be a late night sports radio host on SNR, this is many years ago but he had a pretty long run and he used to open his show with topics that were off limits. One of them was the TCoC which made the tourney I believe a good while back and when that happened he got a flood of calls from college students at the school. They used to figure out ways to get past the screener so after a while he simply banned them as a topic of conversation. I like to reference obscure things sometimes and for the most part I gave credit throughout this write up but that was one I threw in and kind of forgot about. Nice catch.

I thought Lynch actually looked pretty good. He has never been a speedster but he showed good burst when the defense wasn't meeting him on the handoff. Even then he was breaking tackles to get back to the line of scrimmage and snag a couple of yards.

I agree his upside is limited this week if Okung is out though. Ugh, have to choose between him, Greene, or Hart. Somebody shoot me.

good job mopdont let a few ### clowns bumm you out
:lmao: You have the most popular weekly thread, everyone reads it, we all have opinions, and people blast you for what you say???? If they dont like your opinions, just go to the matchups. You have every right to write what you want. Don't let these people bum you out. If they dont like what you say, tell them don't read your threads.

:confused: You have the most popular weekly thread, everyone reads it, we all have opinions, and people blast you for what you say???? If they dont like your opinions, just go to the matchups. You have every right to write what you want. Don't let these people bum you out. If they dont like what you say, tell them don't read your threads.
Awesome job, MoP. You now have groupies. Oops, ####.

There used to be a late night sports radio host on SNR, this is many years ago but he had a pretty long run and he used to open his show with topics that were off limits. One of them was the TCoC which made the tourney I believe a good while back and when that happened he got a flood of calls from college students at the school. They used to figure out ways to get past the screener so after a while he simply banned them as a topic of conversation. I like to reference obscure things sometimes and for the most part I gave credit throughout this write up but that was one I threw in and kind of forgot about. Nice catch.
lol!! thanks for the explanation! Yep, we made the NCAA tourny several times under John Kresse in the 90's and had a couple of upsets over big teams.. He had giant killer team,, beat Maryland in hte tourny, UNC in regular season,etc.. Bobby Cremins is the coach now and they are getting back to being a top mid team..the ironic thing is COFC doesn't even have a fball team!

I thought Lynch actually looked pretty good. He has never been a speedster but he showed good burst when the defense wasn't meeting him on the handoff. Even then he was breaking tackles to get back to the line of scrimmage and snag a couple of yards.I agree his upside is limited this week if Okung is out though. Ugh, have to choose between him, Greene, or Hart. Somebody shoot me.
I agree when he doesn't get hit in the backfield he can move forward but he really lacks an initial burst IMHO. The big run he had early was due to a pancake IIRC form Okung and once he left not only did Lynch have no place to go but Hass was throwing a ton of short passes to Mike Williams who had at one point 9/88 I think. Forget what he actually finished with but I know he ahd a short TD late. Greene is a gamble. Hart could be a decent flex guy this week but I think you also have to read the IR, and that's a MNF game so you might not have that luxury. Lynch is good for 15-20 touches most likely, so go with the odds.

:confused: You have the most popular weekly thread, everyone reads it, we all have opinions, and people blast you for what you say???? If they dont like your opinions, just go to the matchups. You have every right to write what you want. Don't let these people bum you out. If they dont like what you say, tell them don't read your threads.
Awesome job, MoP. You now have groupies. Oops, ####.
;) not a groupie, but the guy puts alot of time into his weekly analysis, shares with all, people look forward to others opinions on their guys, and people give him $%#& for giving his opinion on something????? JUST WRONG.

Fair enough. He's never going to be confused with a Felix Jones, Chris Johnson type - a guy who simply explodes the moment he touches the ball. But if - big IF - the Seahawks can start opening holes (Okung needs to stay healthy), I think he can be a borderline top 15 rb from here on out.

:goodposting: You have the most popular weekly thread, everyone reads it, we all have opinions, and people blast you for what you say???? If they dont like your opinions, just go to the matchups. You have every right to write what you want. Don't let these people bum you out. If they dont like what you say, tell them don't read your threads.
Thanks Rich, Last week I was not really into it, we all have a bad week. Rather than just write something quick and to the point, I sort of wandered a bit, played with the format, easily one of the worst I have cranked out in a while. So I reached a little deeper this week and wanted to have some fun so i pulled out some references and just went with it. Thanks for posting, thanks for reading, much appreciated.

What should I do?

LOL... sounds like you felt like Dylan did when he went electric, but it was more like Andy Rooney at the end of 60 minutes. Might be interesting but what the heck is he doing on this show? Take it as a sort of twisted compliment. I like many others look forward to your weekly articles. The noise level in the SP can get pretty high, and this is always a great thread. Low noise level. Great read, good insight. What do I want you to be? Or what I want this thread to continue to be? Focused, consice, informative. :goodposting:

I am also waiting for Greene to have one of those weeks. Is this the one? I think the Jets on their dream board would like to rush the ball 40 times. Could Grene get 25 carries?

Also agreed on Bush, dropped him in a redraft for a bye week crunch rolling the dice that Hart plays and gets 12-15 touches. Bush's numbers looked pretty good last week, but it was a mirage enveloped in a blowout. Heck, Even Reece got in on the gluttony.

I'm nervous about Gore however. Denver might use that "heavy" 4-3 they used against the Jets with 8 in the box to boot, to force Smith to throw. If Denver can give the Jets rushing attack trouble with that defense, can SF be successful?

Thanks for all your work every week. Sometimes we all don't feel like doing things, you don't get paid for this, if you felt like never doing this again, that's your right and privillage, people shouldn't give you crap.

What should I do?

LOL... sounds like you felt like Dylan did when he went electric, but it was more like Andy Rooney at the end of 60 minutes. Might be interesting but what the heck is he doing on this show? Take it as a sort of twisted compliment. I like many others look forward to your weekly articles. The noise level in the SP can get pretty high, and this is always a great thread. Low noise level. Great read, good insight. What do I want you to be? Or what I want this thread to continue to be? Focused, consice, informative. :shrug:

I am also waiting for Greene to have one of those weeks. Is this the one? I think the Jets on their dream board would like to rush the ball 40 times. Could Grene get 25 carries?

Also agreed on Bush, dropped him in a redraft for a bye week crunch rolling the dice that Hart plays and gets 12-15 touches. Bush's numbers looked pretty good last week, but it was a mirage enveloped in a blowout. Heck, Even Reece got in on the gluttony.

I'm nervous about Gore however. Denver might use that "heavy" 4-3 they used against the Jets with 8 in the box to boot, to force Smith to throw. If Denver can give the Jets rushing attack trouble with that defense, can SF be successful?
:bag: I saw what you wrote last week and there was nothing wrong with it. But I also knew if I started popping off that things might not go well and since I was tired I just steered clear and started working on this week. It was fun last weekend to just be a fan for once. I really enjoyed the Mia/Pit game and even though the end was contoversial it was great to have something to gnaw on Monday morning in here with the Steelers fans.

And for the first time I get to do a game recap on my home team this weekend, the Miami Dolphins. Looking forward to that...although I don't think my fellow Phins fans are as thrilled :P

good job mop

dont let a few ### clowns bumm you out
I wasn't bummed, just loved the Lebron commercial...why do I get the feeling not everyone has seen it?Link
:lmao:
Hey BL,Just wanted to tell you that you inparticular were one poster that inspired me this week. You started talking about what Torain had done the past 3-4 weeks and breaking down the Chicago defense and I'm like...I can do better. Not better than you of course, but I used that model for many of the game write ups this week and went over the past 3-4 weeks for several of the teams.

Thanks

-MOP

:headbang: You have the most popular weekly thread, everyone reads it, we all have opinions, and people blast you for what you say???? If they dont like your opinions, just go to the matchups. You have every right to write what you want. Don't let these people bum you out. If they dont like what you say, tell them don't read your threads.
:thumbup: I agree completely! Let MOP BE MOP!

MOP, you do a great job and do it every week. Best community-generated thread on the forums, if you ask me.

Just be yourself and do what you want to do. Too many people here trying to earn their Internet Misanthropy merit badges. Just ignore 'em.

And remember, I must be right because I have a very low FBG forums member number so everyone has to do what I say....

good job mop

dont let a few ### clowns bumm you out
I wasn't bummed, just loved the Lebron commercial...why do I get the feeling not everyone has seen it?Link
and what happened when those Boston fans pissed Lebron off? He goes off and brings them from a 20pt deficit to 3. If only the fans started chanting "overrated" earlier.Don't make MOP write with a chip on his shoulder, he'll pump out 31 Pulitzer Prize winners. :boxing:

Great article as usual MOP.

Seattle (4-2) at Oakland (3-4) (-2) (42)

When is the last time Oakland was 4-4 after 8 weeks in the season? Seattle has a pretty good sound rush defense but I question most of the backs they have stopped outside of Frank Gore. The Seahawks were lethargic at times last week and it just feels much like the Bucs that they are a fraud 4-2 team. The Raiders meanwhile on rush defense are Jeckyl and Hyde where they go from 205 to 75 the next week, 249 down to 91, and finally 158 down to 75 last week. You really are not sure which team shows up on defense from week to week.

Marshawn Lynch – He's slow. I did the game recap last week for Seattle/AZ (Look at me) and one thing I took away from Lynch is that he has very little burst. And if Okung is not playing, he really becomes a nonfactor. I'm sure many including myself are forced to use him this week but anything more than 8 or 9 points and I would be doing cartwheels. If this were a home game I would be more optimistic but the Black Hole should be rocking after a 59-14 drubbing of Denver last week.

Justin Forsett – Like him in the flex and like the fact he isn't being asked to do more than 8-10 carries but still reel in some passes. That is well suited to his game.

Darren McFadden – You cannot sit this guy the rest of the season unless there are serious signs he is ailing form injury. Explosive is the word I would use right now. He is catching a lot of defenses off guard and I think he might be the 1st back to really blow thru some of Seattle's rush defense. This will be a great test for both teams.

Michael Bush – not so much this week.

Final Score: Oakland 21…Seattle 20
Seattle DT Brandon Mebane (calf injury) didn't play last week. He is arguably the overall best defensive player on the Seahawks roster. Without him their run defense takes a major hit. I would agree that last week was their worst effort against the run so far this season. Further, I would agree that Oakland presents Seattle's run defense their greatest challenge so far this season. Mebane didn't practice again today, which doesn't bode well for this weekend.

Amazing that the Bolts are favored again this week. I guess Vegas and the general public just will not learn this season. The Bolts have great stats but simply cannot win games. The Titans come in and are winning games but not in the way you might imagine. Chris Johnson has struggled to gain yards and San Diego has allowed an avg of 77 yds on the ground the past 6 weeks. My question is if the competition was up to par. In fact I also wonder if the team has had their backs broken at this point and might not have the same fire earlier in the season?

Chris Johnson – I would have to guess another subpar performance and a long trip by this team across country. Last game before his bye week, would be great to see him do well but he has not had as many multiple TD games or long runs like he did a year ago.

San Diego RBs – We found out that all of them are situational. Mathews between the 20s, Tolbert for short yardage and goal line, and Sproles is the guy when they are in pass mode. I'll throw this one up for the SP to discuss.

I hate to pick on you because this is a great writeup every week, but I'm not sure what you expect from Chris Johnson. Yes, the long runs are down, but he has 7 TDs and has had THREE games with 2 TDs each. To me, that qualifies as multiple TD games and I'm pretty happy with him. Might not be a good matchup, but let's have realistic expectations and not think he's going to get 2 TDs in more than half the games this year.

I hate to pick on you because this is a great writeup every week, but I'm not sure what you expect from Chris Johnson. Yes, the long runs are down, but he has 7 TDs and has had THREE games with 2 TDs each. To me, that qualifies as multiple TD games and I'm pretty happy with him. Might not be a good matchup, but let's have realistic expectations and not think he's going to get 2 TDs in more than half the games this year.
You're right but he seems to be not quite right this year. Something is missing. Takes a lot of carries for him to get 100 yds rushing but maybe I'm off here.

why would TB air it out if Az is allowing 133/ypg???

Blount left, Blount right.Blount up the middle.TD L. Blount!

you overanalyzed J. Best, and it is reason enough to say he's going to have a monster game this week..Detroit is WAY better at home, he's healthy, Stafford is back, what's not to like about a Det team giving pts , they're usually getting pts :yucky:

For those who get defensive points, it looks like Steven Jackson will be playing defense this weekend...

"I'm sure it's not going to be all that comfortable having to put something on you and lug a football around and try to shed blockers," head coach Steve Spagnuolo said.

:unsure:

I think you are overreacting to being as off as you were on Dallas last week. They are playing the Jags, not the Giants (#1D in football) and Kitna, once he got into the flow, definitely showed a tendency toward screens and dump offs and not towards the deep ball. IMO this makes Jones at least a middle of the road start, and maybe even Barber as he could be used to run out the clock if they get ahead early. As many have pointed out Dallas would have won that game if it had been 5 quarters. I think a week of Kitna running the 1s makes serious improvements which will help the running game against a poor defense.

McFadden not being in green is a major mistake. He's going against a decent run defense but it's not the Steelers. Time to recognize McFadden for what he is: a talent on par with the best running backs in the game. If anyone is in green this week he should be, and your write up seems a lot more optimistic than your color-coding.

You might want to check on the injury status of Mendenhall and Moreno. Of course, you always want to check injury status on Moreno.

I have a feeling you might be right about JStew and Best but I really hope not. Stewart really has done nothing this year to deserve any optimism but I find myself starting him over Dez Bryant this week. Of course if DWill practices today that will likely change.

Typo: It's Arian Foster. :unsure:

As for your opine last week, it's your space, you have your audience, and you can do whatever you want with it. Best to just think about why your audience comes here and what can enhance that. For me, what would make this column instantly better is a simple list of last week's color code on players with performances next to them. But you can do whatever you want with it.

This is the most consistent best thread in the SP. The breakdown is always worth a read on a weekly basis.

MOP - make the thread what you want, say whatever you want, and say it however you want to say it! It's just a FF thread but a great one at that.

Not sure I would feel comfortable starting Hightower right now.

I can't believe people actually got worked up over last weeks thread. It's your thread and if they don't like it then they can skip past the initial paragraph and go directly to the meat & potatoes. I actually think that the commentary is a great thing. I think it actually gives your article a bit more personal ownership. Think about the fantasy writers that "make" it. They get there by doing something that sets them apart from the bajillion other cats making predictions. Look at Matthew Berry, the guy has some of the worst logic to support his analysis and misses a on a ton of predictions, but he has one of the best jobs in fantasy sports writing and one of the largest followings(if not the largest). Last week your commentary got a reaction, and got people talking. I hope you keep working on improving the real substance as well and not only when you have an off week to push you into reflection.

Keep up the great work.

Nice Writeup but

I think you are real wrong on J. Stewart. With Dwill out he has been a monster

Bad advice regarding Torrain - You don't trade a guy that is getting 20 carries a game and averaging 4.6 in a Shannan O. Plus Jac in the FF Finals.

Also think Blount is going to get a lot of carries and a TD

Just be MOP - that is all we want :shrug:

Good read as usual, but a few counter opinions

1) If DWill is out I think JStew is a good play against the Rams

2) Nobody knows what Dallas will do....but what they should do is clear > tell those overpaid O linemen to BLOCK - Barber and Jones could run all over the Jags IF given a chance.......Kitna will be fine but the blocking and play calling will likely continue to be terrible

3) I think Lynch looks fine and while having Okung would be nice, I am not sure the Seahawks need him to run on Oakland

4) Put Hightower in black (should be red but he could still be involved in the passing game...maybe) , the fumble last week cost him the starting gig and I think the Cardinals show the Bucs a BIG dose of Beanie..................could easily be a fun cage match - Beanie runs on Bucs, Blount runs on Cards, Blount runs on Cards, Beanie runs on Bucs

Have a good weekend - have a beverage handy because I don't think your Fish come away with a win

I like Felix Jones this week in PPR........Dallas stinks, but after that Monday showing, they want some self respect and dignity and will show up Home VS Jags who are on the road for 2nd week in a row.
I think MOP will regret having them both in red. Barber always starts because Wade is a "players coach" but that doesn't mean there aren't roles defined. Barber got his three carries in to start and then Jones came in, and Barber got 3 more carries the rest of the game. The problem is that the OC for the Cowboys is a former QB who thinks their passing game is better than it really is. Hopefully things will change with Kitna in there. Jones should see plenty of work over the rest of the season. How he performs is open for debate, but he's averaging 4.4 YPC on the season (4.6 since he became the defacto starter) behind a horrible OL, and if he's given a decent workload he puts up FF points.

why would TB air it out if Az is allowing 133/ypg???

Blount left, Blount right.Blount up the middle.TD L. Blount!

you overanalyzed J. Best, and it is reason enough to say he's going to have a monster game this week..Detroit is WAY better at home, he's healthy, Stafford is back, what's not to like about a Det team giving pts , they're usually getting pts :lmao:
Agree on Blount, in theory he should get a nice workload but good luck guessing what coach Morris will do in terms of splitting carries with his RB's.Don't agree on Best. He has been a completely pedestrian RB since the grade 2 turf toe injury. He is still not fully participating in practice even after a week off, and will be limited the rest of the season. He no longer has that ability to cut sharp and juke defenders, or beat anyone to the corner on an outside run. His top speed is not there consistently either. And he is sharing carries a little more with Smith to try and limit his exposure on the injury. MOP sort of glossed over the injury as the reason for Best's decline.

Oh, and Lions win this one. 24-17.

Users who are viewing this thread